PDA

View Full Version : 1st Handgun

MattS1022
05-24-2011, 09:42 PM
I'm going to be 21 here in a little while, and while I have been around firearms pretty much my whole life I haven't been around a lot of handgun. It seems like everyone I ask has a different answer for what to get. This will be my only handgun for now because I need to save up to get an autoloader for duck hunting and hopefully a long rifle for big game but that is besides the point. I have been really looking at the sig p226, which I have shot. I shot well with it as well. The other pistols I have shot are the glock 19 which I wasn't to fond of and the Beretta 92. I know that for now I just want to keep the caliber at a 9mm and preference in DA/SA isn't a huge deal for me, though I did like how both the sig and beretta were DA/SA. Any help is greatly appreciated!

thanks,
Matt

Kyle Reese
05-24-2011, 09:44 PM
What's your budget?

MattS1022
05-24-2011, 09:47 PM
I can spend up to $900

Kyle Reese
05-24-2011, 09:51 PM
Well, I'd take a strong look at a P30.

http://dynamicarmament.com/images/HKMARCH2008/HK%20P30.jpg

MattS1022
05-24-2011, 09:56 PM
is there any particular reason for that? I also forgot to mention I'd like to get a full size pistol

Chefdog
05-24-2011, 09:58 PM
I can spend up to $900

I found out the hard way when I bought my first pistol that I should've included the expense for mags, mag pouches, holster, and ammo into my gun budget. The accessories add up quickly and are pretty much essential. You're fortunate enough to have a lot more cash to work with than I did though.

F-Trooper05
05-24-2011, 10:02 PM
What specifically didn't you like about the G19?

Kyle Reese
05-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Well, given your price point, as well as it being your first handgun, there's little reason to suggest other DA/SA guns. You also mentioned that you weren't fond of the Glock 19.

Have you checked out www.pistol-forum.com ? Todd did a very extensive test on the P30 in 9mm HERE (http://pistol-training.com/archives/2668http://pistol-training.com/archives/2668)

If you have the money to spend, why not buy a truly excellent platform? You'll start your shooting career at a place where many would be envious, as many folks buy truly terrible handguns as their first purchases (Taurus, etc).

Good luck to you and welcome aboard.

MattS1022
05-24-2011, 10:05 PM
What specifically didn't you like about the G19?

To be honest I just didn't shoot it as well as the other two and the Beretta and the Sig both "felt" better in my hand.

seabiscuit
05-24-2011, 10:12 PM
After shooting my dad's Colt and Kimber 1911s, Dan Wesson .357, and Ruger Mark II, I picked up a Glock 26.

Shot it terribly at first, but getting much, much better after 300 rounds. Just saying, don't base your evaluation of a pistol on your first shots with it.

Just because your budget is $900 doesn't mean you need to spend all that on a pistol. Get a decent holster and carrying belt - budget at least $100 for that - some spare mags, and several hundred rounds of ammo - budget $100 for that initially, and at least $20 a month, I'd say.

MattS1022
05-24-2011, 10:17 PM
If I don't have to I certainly don't want to spend $900 on a gun if I can get something to fit my needs and spend some money on other things...

seabiscuit
05-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Good plan. I'd recommend a second look at a G19 or 17 - simple, effective.

JDM
05-24-2011, 10:27 PM
Handle, and shoot a Smith&Wesson M&P at your earliest convenience. I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

It also let's you get into an excellent service pistol at little more then 500 bucks out the door if you do your shopping. New.

That's a lot left over for ammo, a couple more mags, and a good handgun primer course.

Excellent aftermarket support too.

orionz06
05-24-2011, 10:28 PM
Handle, and shoot a Smith&Wesson M&P at your earliest convenience. I believe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Excellent aftermarket support too.

Yup, come on down to the nice part of the state and it can happen.

JDM
05-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Misspost.

jslaker
05-24-2011, 10:43 PM
I'll also second the M&P and P30 recommendations.

I'd also concur that as a new shooter, it's a bit difficult to honestly judge what "feels right in your hand" just because it's all new to you and what may intuitively feel "right" from a naive perspective may not be right as you build your fundamentals. It's really difficult to discern what "fits" you beyond what you're physically capable of operating -- e.g., people with small hands are going to have difficulty manipulating a weapon like a P226 -- without a bit more experience.

YVK
05-24-2011, 10:49 PM
If I had started to shoot pistols at the age you're starting to shoot, I'd actually go with a quality DA/SA pistol - P30, older Sigs, maybe even Beretta - provided that you are dedicated to getting good and don't mind flatter learning curve.

MattS1022
05-24-2011, 10:55 PM
I was just doing some reading on the HK p30, I don't know if its me, but is the HK p30 just a nice glock? Also the 7.5lb DA only kind of throws me off a little but I don't think I want a DAO handgun but I wouldn't mind DA then SA

YVK
05-24-2011, 11:07 PM
I was just doing some reading on the HK p30, I don't know if its me, but is the HK p30 just a nice glock? Also the 7.5lb DA only kind of throws me off a little but I don't think I want a DAO handgun but I wouldn't mind DA then SA

Can you do me a favor and post this over HK forum:cool:? I'd grab a beer and enjoy the show...

There are quite different ergonomically and have different advantages and disadvantages.

ToddG
05-25-2011, 05:23 AM
If you're willing to spend the money, I agree that the P30 is hard to beat as a first pistol. It will last a lifetime and is very safe without compromising performance. You could either opt for the DA/SA version (V3) or an LEM depending on your personal preference.

Having said that, if the P226 shot best for you, I would get... a P226. Learn to shoot it well and you'll be in great shape.

As you get more involved in pistol shooting you will invariably go through a process during which you'll try -- and buy -- other pistols. Your concern for a first pistol should be that it is safe, reliable, and shootable. The P226 is all of those things.

MattS1022
05-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Thanks for all the input, but how did some of you guys pick out your first handgun?

John Ralston
05-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Wow!!!...That one looks cool!!! Seriously

I do still have it though...Model 29 44 Mag, just like Dirty Harry. Back Then there was no Internet to do research. Even now, there are so many people that claim to be experts on the Internet that you have to weed through a lot of misinformation.

I would look at the recommendations here and then pick the one within your budget and that fits your hand the best (for me, this is actually more important than $$$). Glocks don't fit me at all, and although I have a G19, I never did grow to like it.

JHC
05-25-2011, 10:58 AM
Thanks for all the input, but how did some of you guys pick out your first handgun?

I grew up with S&W revolvers so no choice in those but the first one I bought as a new 2LT was a Colt Combat Commander .45acp. And it was easy, Jeff Cooper made the decision for me for the most part. Oh, wait, Jeff Cooper was like a dozen modern day SME gurus rolled into one because there was not the diversity of trainers etc back in those days.

BTW, that was a totally superb pistol and I am forever cursed for trading it away years later. Take note of that.

virginiatactical
05-25-2011, 11:08 AM

I was a young Marine, who just turned 21. I was used to the M9, but I had always heard from my NCOs that the glock was a better gun. (I am not arguing M9 vs glock, just simply saying thats what my NCOs told me). So I followed there advice, and bought a Glock 37. They were not very proficient in shooting and had limited knowledge on the platform, but they were better then me. I spent the next 2 years shooting my G37, and spending a ton of money on .45 GAP. I wish I had purchased an M9 instead of that damn G37. I was deployed twice during those two years, so I really just spent like 10 months shooting my G37. I stayed in the Glock family, eventually switching to a G23 for the next 3 years (5 years now shooting Glock) (I had a supply of .40 from work, so it made sense to shoot what I could get free ammo). In 2008 a friend of mine showed me the M&P line of pistols. He worked for S&W, and let me shoot a couple at our range over the course of a couple months. I sold off my Glock, and following his advice I purchased a M&P 9L. This friend had way more information and is extremely proficient in shooting. I haven't looked back and own 2 9Ls, and 1 9C (for those shorts and a t-shirt days).

I would also suggest you try out the M&P line of pistols. You might like them a ton, but echoing what ToddG said, if you thought the P226 was more ergonomic in your hands utilizing a proper grip then by all means jump on the P226.

Cheers

MDS
05-25-2011, 11:09 AM
If you're willing to spend the money, I agree that the P30 is hard to beat as a first pistol. It will last a lifetime and is very safe without compromising performance. You could either opt for the DA/SA version (V3) or an LEM depending on your personal preference.

Having said that, if the P226 shot best for you, I would get... a P226. Learn to shoot it well and you'll be in great shape.

As you get more involved in pistol shooting you will invariably go through a process during which you'll try -- and buy -- other pistols. Your concern for a first pistol should be that it is safe, reliable, and shootable. The P226 is all of those things.

This.

My first real handgun was a USP45c. I've switched to a G19 now, whereas I used to hate Glocks back then. But I don't regret the USP - it was safe, reliable, and shootable. (Well, shootable-ish... ;)) I don't think going with a P226 would have made much difference, I'd have learned what I learned early on more or less the same.

If you like the P226, then (ahem!) pull the trigger. Start dry-firing the day you buy it, get a metric ton of ammo for live-fire as often as you can, and take a quality course as soon as you can. There's not much else you can control - the journey will take you where it will. So don't be surprised if, like me, you end up liking Glocks in 6 months. Roll with it! :)

TCinVA
05-25-2011, 11:14 AM

I watched Lethal Weapon 2, and Diehard 1 and 2.

Seriously.

orionz06
05-25-2011, 11:20 AM

I got a compact Glock (G23) because it was a Glock. I got it in .40 S&W because the gun magazines said the .40 Hydra-Shok was like a laser death beam.

JDM
05-25-2011, 11:33 AM
I chose a Glock 19 for my first handgun. Honestly I don't remember why, that's just what I ended up with.

ToddG
05-25-2011, 11:49 AM
but how did some of you guys pick out your first handgun?

A good friend brought me shooting for the first time and we rented a bunch of different guns. I came down to either a P7 or 92FS in terms of comfort and safety. When I went to the shop at buying time, the P7 was far out of my budget. The Beretta looked just like the Taurus in the display case and the gun shop guy told me the Taurus was better because it could be carried cocked and locked, so I bought it.

Looking back, I believe "buying a piece of crap first gun" is part of what drives the whole train of buying lots of different guns. If I'd bought the 92FS right from the beginning I probably never would have had a problem with it and wouldn't have been searching for better so quickly.

John Ralston
05-25-2011, 12:19 PM
I watched Lethal Weapon 2, and Diehard 1 and 2.

Seriously.

So I'm not the only one that used Iconic Movies of the era to pick their gun? :cool:

Pennzoil
05-25-2011, 12:22 PM

First personal handgun was a dull new Glock 27 because it was small for carry, 40 caliber was a laser death beam like orionz06 stated earlier, and the serial number started with CYA (cover your ass) :(.

I learned more through classes this year on how to shoot I found that I shoot ok with my Glocks but ergonomics don't fit me. Looking back a mistake I think I made was being to closed minded regarding brands and over investing in one platform before being sure it's what worked best for me. A lot of great guns/manufactures to pick from now a days and with you having the foresight to ask here before buying your bound for success!

YVK
05-25-2011, 12:53 PM

Put down a list of priorities: no bigger than 9 mm (feared recoil of larger calibers), steel construction (feared recoil of any caliber), same trigger weight and pull on each shot, reported high reliability, accuracy, all in descending order. Ended up with P7M8.

MattS1022
05-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Thanks guys for all your help I still got a month to think about it which just frustrates me because I just want to go buy one today considering I have been looking for like 5 months already. I guess I'm leaning towards the Sig I can get it for like $785 so thats not horrible, but I'm still keeping all of my options open

fuse
05-25-2011, 05:44 PM
3 years ago I was in the same boat you're in now. I too was entranced by the siren song of DA/SA. "the long heavy DA is basically a safety, and then every other shot is via a hair trigger! It's genius!" I bought a Sig.

Not saying its a bad choice or that people can't shoot them well.

For me, I later realized that the same trigger pull every time would be better for me, when I factored in the time/money that I can practice. So I shoot Glocks now, after giving m&p's a close look.

I also believe that currently STPET (same trigger pull every time) guns are sort of a popular thing now, and I believe I got caught up in that as well.

DA/SA does seem to be losing ground, to a degree.

WDW
05-25-2011, 05:47 PM

My first handgun was a Glock 20 10mm. I thought bigger is better and I have to have the biggest (that is still reasonable and reliable). I soon learned, through the price of ammo, and the heavy weight that I chose poorly. I quickly transitioned to a Glock 19 9mm. I have big hands and long fingers so Glock ergos don't affect me as much. I have sinced switche dto the DA/SA platform and carry a Sig P226 E2 because of the grip and the SRT trigger (a must on any Sig). I am guilty of switching platforms like I change my underwear, but in my defense, I only use platforms in which I am proficient (Sig DA/SA and Glock). You should go to a range, rent some guns, and se what works best for you. You probably will not beallowed to draw, present, holster, reload like you should to truly to test a platform at a public range, but some extended shooting time will give you a good ballpark about which platform best suits you. +1 on the P226 and P30 though.

Shellback
05-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Maybe I missed it but where are you located? Anywhere near the Vegas area and you can come shoot several different Glocks I own, including the 19 & 26, and also the full size M&P 9mm.

Coincidentally my first gun was a G19/Gen2. I thought it was badass! But really didn't know then what I know now and I still carry a G19/Gen3.

ubervic
05-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Do like I did: Sign up for a 'pistol for beginners' class at a reputable range if you have one. They will likely have as the last part of the instruction a collection of guns to fire.

During my live-fire portion of the instruction, I was lucky enough to fire a .38 revolver, a Sig P226, an HK P30, Glock 19, a Springfield Armory XD40, a 1911 and 2 or 3 other pistols that I've forgotten. Having access to and firing several different pistols in such a class allows you to quickly compare grip, trigger pull, sight pictures, etc.......and, by the way, more training never hurt anybody.

I ultimately chose the HK P2000sk for my first purchase. It's on the small side, but I'm a small guy, and a big criteria for me was/is deep concealability followed by simplicity and then ergonomics.

I chose the 9mm with LEM trigger---9mm is a broadly available and low-cost round; the LEM trigger seems (to me) to be far more simple & easy to master than DA/SA; and the overall design features no 'safeties' to learn or remember to engage/disengage. (Yes, I happen to believe that 'safety' is a state of intentional awareness when handling any firearm, and I prefer to have the gun fire as soon as i intentionally put sights on target and press the trigger.) And because of my oddly short thumbs, the (relatively) extended slide release lever works well for me.

My acquisition is a small, efficient, reliable, easy-to-shoot and easy-to-master firearm that disappears visibly and physically in a decent holster, under a shirt or jacket. I probably would not have selected it without first-hand exposure to the P30 during that training course. I'll probably acquire the P30 one day, but I doubt that I can conceal it as easily & well as my P2Ksk.

jslaker
05-25-2011, 07:55 PM
I got a compact Glock (G23) because it was a Glock. I got it in .40 S&W because the gun magazines said the .40 Hydra-Shok was like a laser death beam.

This is remarkably like my story, except I came across a decently priced USPc and got that instead of the G23.

OP, you certainly can't go wrong with a 226 as a first gun. It's accurate, reliable, has a decent sight radius, and is fairly soft-shooting. These all make for a good learning gun.

MattS1022
05-25-2011, 08:03 PM
I am located in NW PA so thats quite the distance from Vegas lol if I get the opportunity I am definitely going to try to shoot a HK P30. I think what is going to eventually happening is I am going to get a HK or Sig, then get a glock and then get a 1911 but that also comes after I get an autoloader for duck hunting and a rifle with a nice scope for big game... Lots of money to save up haha

JHC
05-25-2011, 08:22 PM
I am located in NW PA so thats quite the distance from Vegas lol if I get the opportunity I am definitely going to try to shoot a HK P30. I think what is going to eventually happening is I am going to get a HK or Sig, then get a glock and then get a 1911 but that also comes after I get an autoloader for duck hunting and a rifle with a nice scope for big game... Lots of money to save up haha

Read the "one gun" thread with feeling before spreading out your learning between a Sig ($750), HK ($900), Glock ($500), M&P ($500) etc. Look for DocGKR's posts on the subject and everyone who quoted him. ;) There's lots of time to buy more guns. Be in a rush to build up the skill.

TCinVA
05-25-2011, 09:29 PM
So I'm not the only one that used Iconic Movies of the era to pick their gun? :cool:

Sadly I couldn't find any Bren Tens.

orionz06
05-25-2011, 09:30 PM

I wanted a shoulder rig for the same reason...

But I am only 27.

John Ralston
05-25-2011, 09:55 PM

Me neither...I had to go with an FBI Overrun S&W 1076 :cool:

Comedian
05-26-2011, 01:51 AM
3 years ago I was in the same boat you're in now. I too was entranced by the siren song of DA/SA. "the long heavy DA is basically a safety, and then every other shot is via a hair trigger! It's genius!" I bought a Sig.

Not saying its a bad choice or that people can't shoot them well.

For me, I later realized that the same trigger pull every time would be better for me, when I factored in the time/money that I can practice. So I shoot Glocks now, after giving m&p's a close look.

I also believe that currently STPET (same trigger pull every time) guns are sort of a popular thing now, and I believe I got caught up in that as well.

DA/SA does seem to be losing ground, to a degree.

This was my experience as well. I still love my Sig P226, but the G19 is what i carry and have for home defense. The Glock trigger action is just so efficient, that it cant be denied. The Walther PPQ might be a good choice for the TS, if he does not like the feel of a Glock.

Nik the Greek
05-26-2011, 03:27 AM
I was in a similar position as the OP, except I'm in CA which limited my options considerably. I could have jumped through some hoops to get a P30, but I actually like the fit of my USP 40.

I chose .40. In California, magazines are limited to 10 rounds. I wanted to have the highest weight:energy ratio rounds I could accurately shoot with that limitation in mind. I realize that 9mm is having a sort of renaissance. I am comfortable with my decision. I know many will disagree with me. I know shot placement is key. I also know that stress and chaos can make things go awry. Maybe I'm just young and dumb. I hope I never have to find out in combat.

I arrived at HK after a ton of research, and renting guns. I shot everything in 9, 40 and 45, M&P, SIG, Glock, CZ, XD, Hi-Powers, you name it.

I learned a few things:
1) I do not naturally shoot .45 well.
2) In terms of accuracy, 9mm and .40 had very similar felt recoil for me, and I never felt the 'snap' others seem to report from that round.
3) Sometimes the money is worth it. I really, really didn't want to like the HK. I knew they were expensive, so I put off shooting both the SIG and the HK. When I did, (for me), the difference was considerable is both feel and accuracy. I tried to shake it off and shot everything else again, but I kept coming back to the HK.

That's where I landed, and since I have a lot of other things to spend money on, that's where I'm gonna be for a long time. Now my money will go for ammo/training, rather than more guns, and I'm going to learn to shoot what I own as well as I can.

NickA
05-26-2011, 06:00 AM
BTW, that was a totally superb pistol and I am forever cursed for trading it away years later. Take note of that.
+1. Especially when you're just starting out. If your first gun works well for you but you decide to try something else, if possible hang onto it until you're sure about making the switch.

ToddG
05-26-2011, 11:17 AM
For me, I later realized that the same trigger pull every time would be better for me,

Except that's really not true because Glocks, M&Ps, LEMs and most other "single trigger pull" guns do have two different trigger pulls: the first pull is longer and subsequent pulls are shorter unless you fully release the trigger between shots. The DA/SA trigger is also heavier on the first shot, and mastering a heavier trigger is harder. Mastering a heavier trigger also tends to translate into better overall trigger manipulation skill.

You're absolutely correct in saying that the DA/SA is being eclipsed by SFA and DAO/DAO-like triggers. But understand that has far more to do with very aggressive marketing by the SFA manufacturers than actual shooting potential. Agencies with some of the strictest shooting standards like Secret Service and the Air Marshals have been using DA/SA guns for years.

Nonetheless, it's almost impossible to imagine the DA/SA ever regaining its popularity. True or not, the stigma of "hard to shoot" and temptation of a light first trigger pull cannot easily be overcome.

MattS1022
05-26-2011, 01:37 PM
If I were to get a glock, should I try to get a gen 3 or gen 2? If so how much would one cost used if in good shape (good place to buy besides gunbroker?)? Or would I just get a gen 4 g17?

LittleLebowski
05-26-2011, 01:54 PM
If I were to get a glock, should I try to get a gen 3 or gen 2? If so how much would one cost used if in good shape (good place to buy besides gunbroker?)? Or would I just get a gen 4 g17?

Assuming you want 9mm; Gen3. Around $350-$450. Avoid the Gen4 9mm guns.

MattS1022
05-26-2011, 02:06 PM
ok yeah I want a 9mm, can you buy a gen 3 new? Is there anywhere good I can get a certified refurbished one or a place I can buy used handguns?

hoodoo_operator
05-26-2011, 03:05 PM
I'm in a similar boat as the OP, except I was lucky enough to be a member of a college gun club with some very generous members, so I got a chance to shoot a whole lot of pistols over the last four years.
I ended up buying a ruger 22/45 first, because ammo is cheap enough that I can afford to practice a whole lot. I'll be picking up an M&P as soon as I get settled into a new job and have some extra money.

a .22 for cheap practice is something to consider IMO, but if you get a glock you should have plenty of money left over for some ammo. plus there are .22 conversion kits out there for the glocks.

orionz06
05-26-2011, 03:10 PM
ok yeah I want a 9mm, can you buy a gen 3 new? Is there anywhere good I can get a certified refurbished one or a place I can buy used handguns?

I am unsure in Erie, I know Edinboro Outdoors and Bob's are probably the only ones that would have them at reasonable prices, but I do know of a few places down here (Beaver) where a co-worked nabbed a G17 of his choice for ~$400. Sportsmans Supply in Butler may have one, but there are plenty of places slightly south of you. Gun World in Harrisville is worth a phone call too.

http://www.gunworldinc.com/index.htm

http://sportsmanssupplyco.com/

http://www.edinborooutdoors.com/

That whole region seems to really defy the current trends for gun and ammo prices though. Make a few calls and factor in the price of the trip down here and go from there.

SteveK
05-26-2011, 03:19 PM
I really don't think you can go wrong with the Sig 226. You can find a CPO 226 for under $600 leaving enough in your budget for a case of ammo to get aquainted.

MattS1022
05-26-2011, 03:41 PM
I really don't think you can go wrong with the Sig 226. You can find a CPO 226 for under $600 leaving enough in your budget for a case of ammo to get aquainted.

Can you order these through a local FFL? I don't know if I want to have to deal with having to buy a firearm online considering this is my first handgun I just want things to go smoothly

Kyle Reese
05-26-2011, 03:53 PM
Can you order these through a local FFL? I don't know if I want to have to deal with having to buy a firearm online considering this is my first handgun I just want things to go smoothly

It's a fairly simple process, and if you have an FFL that does transfers at a reasonable rate in your area, is no harder than ordering any other item online.

-Find friendly FFL, inform them you wish to transfer _____ through their store.

-Buy _____ firearm online, and gaining FFL furnishes their FFL info to vendor.

-FFL contacts you when your _____ arrives.

fuse
05-26-2011, 08:32 PM
Except that's really not true because Glocks, M&Ps, LEMs and most other "single trigger pull" guns do have two different trigger pulls: the first pull is longer and subsequent pulls are shorter unless you fully release the trigger between shots. The DA/SA trigger is also heavier on the first shot, and mastering a heavier trigger is harder. Mastering a heavier trigger also tends to translate into better overall trigger manipulation skill.

You're absolutely correct in saying that the DA/SA is being eclipsed by SFA and DAO/DAO-like triggers. But understand that has far more to do with very aggressive marketing by the SFA manufacturers than actual shooting potential. Agencies with some of the strictest shooting standards like Secret Service and the Air Marshals have been using DA/SA guns for years.

Nonetheless, it's almost impossible to imagine the DA/SA ever regaining its popularity. True or not, the stigma of "hard to shoot" and temptation of a light first trigger pull cannot easily be overcome.

Good point about the trigger reset. I never thought of Glocks as a mini DA/SA gun.

Very interesting stuff as well.

DocGKR
05-26-2011, 11:16 PM
MattS1022--Purchase a quality 9 mm pistol, a good holster, extra magazines, practice ammo and then take a several classes. If that pistol is working for you, then buy a second identical one. Take some more classes. If the pistol type is still working for you, by a third identical pistol. Then DON'T get any more pistols. Spend the next decade training and practicing.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd strongly consider starting with a used 3rd gen G19 or G17.

JDM
05-26-2011, 11:44 PM
MattS1022--Purchase a quality 9 mm pistol, a good holster, extra magazines, practice ammo and then take a several classes. If that pistol is working for you, then buy a second identical one. Take some more classes. If the pistol type is still working for you, by a third identical pistol. Then DON'T get any more pistols. Spend the next decade training and practicing.

Personally, if I were in your shoes, I'd strongly consider starting with a used 3rd gen G19 or G17.

Doctors orders!

Boy do I wish I would have done this.

Dammit.

Live and learn...

Joe in PNG
05-27-2011, 12:51 AM
Doctors orders!

Boy do I wish I would have done this.

Dammit.

Live and learn...

The same here. If I could only have back all the money I wasted on inadequate guns...

JHC
05-27-2011, 03:59 AM

Used Glock 9mm approx $400-$440 around here. Not much risk in a used Glock 9mm. I had Glock factory do their free "Inspect and Upgrade" on two Gen 2 G19's I bought used years back. They hand you back a gun with virtually all new small parts and springs.

CQC.45
05-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Im not sure what else I can add to this thread, but for what is worth:

9mm: 3rd Gen glock

.40 or .45: M&P

I think these would serve you best as opposed to an HK, etc. Take the money you would save and invest in training. Once you have some time behind a trigger you can decided what is truly best for you.

MattS1022
05-30-2011, 03:02 PM
does anyone here have any experience with a CPO Sig? I think I want the p226 but if I get a CPO that would leave me some money for training...

CQC.45
05-30-2011, 05:13 PM
I think that most would advise that unless it is a older (German-made), 9mm Sig...don't bother with it. Their quality is not what it used to be.

MattS1022
05-31-2011, 01:10 PM
Anyone else? Also if I were to get a CPO is there anywhere besides Buds to get one?

SteveK
05-31-2011, 02:16 PM
My only 226 right now is a CPO. It shoots like a dream and I was hard pressed to distinguish it from a new gun right from the box. Truth of the matter is, most guns are shot very little. Police trade-ins are usually shot in training and qualifications, which translate into very limited shooting. A large amount of privately purchased guns are brought home, maybe a box of ammo through them and then put in the closet. Shooters as you will find lurking here are the exception and not the rule. You will not be disappointed buying a CPO 226, it's one of the best deal on the market.

Oh yeah, and my first handgun was inspired by Sonny Crockett, a Smith and Wesson 645. I still have a soft spot for Smith 45s.

MattS1022
05-31-2011, 03:53 PM
where did you buy your CPO?

MattS1022
06-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Just to update the thread I got my first handgun today, which I ended up going with the glock 17 RTF. I spent some of my extra money on ammo and a holster, the rest will be put into training and a new duck gun :) (and probably new sights sometime too), thanks for everyone's help I really appreciate it.

ranburr
06-22-2011, 12:53 AM
I guess I am the only oddball that started with a revolver. k22 when I was 9yrs old (world's greatest grandfather). First semi was a Colt Woodsman at 12 (thanks again PeePaw). If I were starting off today as an adult and looking for a carry/shooter pistol, I would get a Glock 19. It is small enough to conceal and large enough to shoot all day. You probably didn't care for it due to the grip angle. You can overcome that either with training or have it chopped and reshaped. If you are going to dedicate yourself to one platform, leave the grip alone and just learn to deal with it.

Rverdi
06-22-2011, 07:36 AM
I guess I am the only oddball that started with a revolver.

Nope, my first handgun at 18 was a 6" S&W 686. I put a ton of rounds thru it over about ten years, it was the first handgun I shot competition with (PPC) I traded it off to a coworker who still has it, I should probably try to buy that one back.
First duty gun was a 4" 65, some type of .38 silvertips in a Tex Shoemaker breakfront. We were issued two dump pouches and exactly 18 rounds to fill them. I broke dept regulations and carried two very new, very high speed, HKS speedloaders in my pocket.

rsa-otc
06-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Nope, my first handgun at 18 was a 6" S&W 686. I put a ton of rounds thru it over about ten years, it was the first handgun I shot competition with (PPC) I traded it off to a coworker who still has it, I should probably try to buy that one back.
First duty gun was a 4" 65, some type of .38 silvertips in a Tex Shoemaker breakfront. We were issued two dump pouches and exactly 18 rounds to fill them. I broke dept regulations and carried two very new, very high speed, HKS speedloaders in my pocket.

I'm part of that club as well. S&W MDL 10 in a border patrol holster. Started with dump pouches and we quickly moved to speed loaders. When I first went to NRA LE Instructors school there was exactly 1 semi in the 30 person class. The company issued HKS loaders but I was Hi tech with Safariland comp 1s. The first gun I competed with was a S&W mdl 14 target masterpiece. The only modification was an Austin Belhert trigger job. Won my share of PPC stages and titles with that gun.

MichaelD
06-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Just to update the thread I got my first handgun today, which I ended up going with the glock 17 RTF. I spent some of my extra money on ammo and a holster, the rest will be put into training and a new duck gun :) (and probably new sights sometime too), thanks for everyone's help I really appreciate it.

Congratulations on the purchase, and good choice on your first pistol. I'd likely have ended up with a Glock Gen 3 if they fit my hands better. I bought an M&P9 instead and haven't looked back since.