PDA

View Full Version : FBI Firearms Instructor Course

jlw
10-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Link to my article (http://chiefweems.wordpress.com/2013/10/11/fbi-police-firearms-instructor-course/)

Frank Proctor and Tiger McKee both taught blocks of instruction during the course. While I did pick up a few teaching points from McKee, I have to say that Proctor absolutely rocked.

One guy got kicked out for safety issues. Apparently, the decocker on a Beretta 92 isn't as efficient as using the trigger and thumb method... Yup, it happened.

I had one major foul up. The last time I had my rifle out was at night, and I flipped to the low light aperture and forgot to flip it back. It cost me the Top Gun award. I finished third. The top three were decided by points to the right of the decimal.

Kyle Reese
10-11-2013, 06:24 PM
Nice write up & congratulations, Sir.

98z28
10-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Congrats! That's a good class. I went through the same class organized by Vicki at the Tuscaloosa academy a few years ago. Actually got tired of shooting over those two weeks. Being in the top three in that class is fantastic. There are usually some very capable shooters in the mix. Well done, sir.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

JHC
10-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Link to my article (http://chiefweems.wordpress.com/2013/10/11/fbi-police-firearms-instructor-course/)

Frank Proctor and Tiger McKee both taught blocks of instruction during the course. While I did pick up a few teaching points from McKee, I have to say that Proctor absolutely rocked.

One guy got kicked out for safety issues. Apparently, the decocker on a Beretta 92 isn't as efficient as using the trigger and thumb method... Yup, it happened.

I had one major foul up. The last time I had my rifle out was at night, and I flipped to the low light aperture and forgot to flip it back. It cost me the Top Gun award. I finished third. The top three were decided by points to the right of the decimal.

Congratulations!!! Unreal about the ND.

Chuck Whitlock
10-12-2013, 12:25 AM

Standard A2? Was the problem margin of error due to the larger aperture, or the vertical offset?
I replaced the rear apertures on our duty rifles with XS same-plane apertures for the latter.

Kevin B.
10-12-2013, 12:40 AM
I went through the FBI Firearms Instructor Course in 2011 and had the privelage to make presentations at two subsequent courses. I agree, it is a good training program.

jlw
10-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Standard A2? Was the problem margin of error due to the larger aperture, or the vertical offset?
I replaced the rear apertures on our duty rifles with XS same-plane apertures for the latter.

It was both

Joe Mamma
10-12-2013, 10:42 AM
jlw, at the end of your article, you mention loaning your "revolver" to another student whose agency issued "revolver" went down. Were those really revolvers or were they semi-autos?

Joe Mamma

jlw
10-12-2013, 11:07 AM
jlw, at the end of your article, you mention loaning your "revolver" to another student whose agency issued "revolver" went down. Were those really revolvers or were they semi-autos?

Joe Mamma

Yes, they were really revolvers. We shot a 60 round course with the wheelguns that included 18 rounds from the 50 yard line. Six of those were with the support hand.

I shot my 586. I brought a sweet 3" model 65 with me. His agency gave him a revolver for use in the course, and it had issues; so, I loaned him my 65.

SGT_Calle
10-14-2013, 07:16 AM
Very cool article and congrats on the top three finish!
Too bad you couldn't break out the lever-action patrol rifle, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

jlw
10-14-2013, 07:38 AM
Very cool article and congrats on the top three finish!
Too bad you couldn't break out the lever-action patrol rifle, lol.

I certainly wanted to run the levergun. I was actually going to do my presentation portion on using a lever action patrol rifle, but I got drafted to teach my "Interacting With Armed Citizens" class instead.

JBP55
10-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Congratulations.

Slavex
10-21-2013, 03:56 AM
Great write up and great shooting. Well done!

John Hearne
10-21-2013, 09:17 AM
I'm surprised by two things. First, how each field office seems to have THEIR version of the course. When I took the class, we had not guest instructors and the course was taught entirely by two Agents from the local field office. Second, that you guys had that many people pass the entry tests. The year I attended the local field office had two mandatory "pre-school" range sessions prior to the class and you had to attend one. They showed you the bullseye course and worked on pistol funadamentals. They told us to not bother showing up for the actual class unless you were shooting 270 on the bullseye in practice. IIRC, they had ~79 show up for the pre-schools. 29 showed up for the first day and we graduated 19.

jlw
10-21-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm surprised by two things. First, how each field office seems to have THEIR version of the course. When I took the class, we had not guest instructors and the course was taught entirely by two Agents from the local field office. Second, that you guys had that many people pass the entry tests. The year I attended the local field office had two mandatory "pre-school" range sessions prior to the class and you had to attend one. They showed you the bullseye course and worked on pistol funadamentals. They told us to not bother showing up for the actual class unless you were shooting 270 on the bullseye in practice. IIRC, they had ~79 show up for the pre-schools. 29 showed up for the first day and we graduated 19.

When I went through the FI school at the state training center, the first thing we did after doing all of the course paperwork was to go out to the range and shoot a qual course. Everyone who didn't get a 90 or above was sent home. I think we lost four at that point. We had one that made it through that day but dropped out later as he clearly wasn't keeping up. Finally, on the last day we had another round of qualifications on a different course with shortened times. We lost three that made it through the entire two weeks and then couldn't make the grade on the last day's qual.