PDA

View Full Version : JM Custom AIWB Thickness Compared to other holsters, C&D PIC, CCC Shaggy

AtomicToaster
10-11-2013, 03:58 PM
I've been running a JM Custom AIWB holster for my G19 for a few months now. It's an excellent holster in many ways, but I'm not crazy about how much thickness it adds at the belt line - it practically doubles the width of the gun at that point, causing problems with concealability on my particular body type. I understand that this is for the sake of grip/butt tuck, but I wonder how other AIWB kydex holsters compare in thickness at that point.

The Shaggy is the one I'm most curious about, since it seems to be the go-to holster for many at this forum. Is it appreciably thinner than the JM at the belt line?

Another one that looks promising is the Cane & Derby PIC - judging by the pictures on their website, it uses the belt loops to 'pull' the grip of the gun inward rather than using a wedge to 'push' it. However, I don't see that holster getting mentioned often by p-f.com AIWBers, so any input from those who have used this holster is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

texasaggie2005
10-11-2013, 10:20 PM
My G19 Shaggy is "thinner" than my JM Custom, by a noticeable amount, maybe a 1/4" - 3/8" or so. But the extra tuck option partially compensates for the extra thickness.

AtomicToaster
10-14-2013, 12:10 AM
My G19 Shaggy is "thinner" than my JM Custom, by a noticeable amount, maybe a 1/4" - 3/8" or so. But the extra tuck option partially compensates for the extra thickness.

Thanks for the info! Which of the two do you prefer, concealment-wise?

texasaggie2005
10-14-2013, 07:58 AM
Thanks for the info! Which of the two do you prefer, concealment-wise?

I "feel" that my Shaggy is more comfortable, and conceals slightly better. However, I wish it had the extra-tuck option like the JM. In my opinion, that would make for the perfect AIWB for me.

Tony Mayer
10-14-2013, 11:34 AM
AtomicToaster, let me know if you have any specific questions for me. You can also email me at sales@jmcustomkydex.com

Thanks

JHC
10-14-2013, 11:43 AM
I would like to see the industry explore more "clamshell" styles with two sheets sewn together vs the folded over "taco" styles. Clamshell construction seems to lend itself to being overall thinner.

Wendell
10-14-2013, 07:04 PM
But that also contributes to width. For AIWB, whereas I don't want holster stuff poking me, I think that the taco has the clear advantage.

AtomicToaster
10-14-2013, 08:55 PM
I'm surprised I haven't seen a kydex holster that uses the grip-tucking and belt-clip methods of leather AIWBs like the 5-Shot SME or the JRC AIWB-CDA; seems to be a good way to make a holster as thin as possible. Maybe Kydex is too brittle for such a design.

JHC
10-15-2013, 07:15 AM
But that also contributes to width. For AIWB, whereas I don't want holster stuff poking me, I think that the taco has the clear advantage.

Ah ok, got it. I've used FIST #1K straight drop many years and JM in the AIWB and don't find the clamshell's footprint uncomfortable at all but much flatter. But I have not fully appreciated all the engineering that went into premium AIWB design over the past 5-6 years as carrying AIWB since about '82 I have found it easy to find a long term comfortable straight drop holsters for that carry.

MSparks909
10-15-2013, 10:48 PM
I'm surprised I haven't seen a kydex holster that uses the grip-tucking and belt-clip methods of leather AIWBs like the 5-Shot SME or the JRC AIWB-CDA; seems to be a good way to make a holster as thin as possible. Maybe Kydex is too brittle for such a design.

X2. I was just thinking that today. Would be an interesting prototype and if you used .80 kydex, it could be very thin.