PDA

View Full Version : Laser correct; Sights wrong?

teamshrink
05-24-2011, 12:28 PM
I bought a used Glock 17 (LE trade-in). I bought Crimson Trace grips to put on it. My problem is that the laser is about 4 inches low and left of my sight picture. The weird thing is, I put shots right on the laser dot. When I turn off the laser, I always shoot low and left.

So I asked the guy at the gun store, and he said that I should adjust the laser to match the sight, then learn to shoot with the sights at the 6 o'clock. That doesn't make sense to me, but it also doesn't make sense that the Glock sights could be wrong.

I'm a nooby, can someone help me figure this out?

ToddG
05-24-2011, 12:39 PM
First, no one can assess your shooting skill over the internet. Everything I say below is speculation and best-guess based on limited information. It could be completely wrong and while it may be the textbook conventional wisdom answer, you should probably (a) shoot the gun very slowly from a rest to check zero and (b) have an experienced and accomplished Glock shooter try it to give you feedback on the sight alignment.

Having said all that, if you're a right handed shooter and your shots are going low left, you probably have a combination of anticipation and trigger manipulation problems. Working on slow, methodical marksmanship with no concern about speed is the proper avenue. Focus on the front sight and watch to make sure it does not move out of alignment throughout the entire (slow) trigger press. If you are pulling the trigger most of the way, hitting that hard break, and then forcing through the break quickly it will result in exactly the kind of low left shots (for a right hander) that you're seeing.

Odds are that the last owner had the same skill issue and zeroed his sight to compensate for his mistakes.

Having said that, it's certainly possible that your iron (plastic) sights are off and the gun does in fact shoot low left. Again, the best way to determine that is with bench shooting and/or having a good Glock guy give it a try.

David Armstrong
05-25-2011, 11:39 AM
your shots should go where your sights indicate they should go. As Todd siad, have someone in the know check your shooting form for issues, but given that the shots are landing where the laser is pointing, I'd think the sights on the gun just need to be adjusted.