PDA

View Full Version : LCR vs. J-frame durability?

peterb
10-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Now that the Ruger LCR has been on the market and in use for a few years, is there any consensus on durability and performance over time vs. the alloy J-frames?

shooter220
10-11-2013, 09:22 PM
That is a very good question. I suspect that the vast majority of those guns don't get shot anywhere near enough to really begin to stress things. However, for durability in the compacts I like the Smith Model 36 and the Ruger SP101.

TGS
10-11-2013, 09:52 PM
According to this guy (http://rugerforum.net/ruger-double-action/24421-lcr-38-spcl-roundcount.html#post248793), his LCR is still serviceable after 5100 +p and a few hundred more standard pressure.

ScotchMan
11-11-2013, 02:31 PM
I'd be interested in some data on this as well. I know I was all for getting an LCR, and then I found one at a range that was available for rent. It had so much slop in the cylinder lockup that I'm not sure I would have wanted to shoot it. After that I started focusing my search on Smiths.

LSP972
11-11-2013, 02:58 PM
It had so much slop in the cylinder lockup that I'm not sure I would have wanted to shoot it. After that I started focusing my search on Smiths.

When my father passed, my mother realized that her protection was now dependent upon… her. After a lengthy search, with me taking her to multiple venues so she could "try" a bunch of different stuff, she settled on an LCR. She liked the feel of its rubber stocks the best, despite my attempts to steer her toward an all-steel J frame.

I put 100 wadcutters and ten +P "duty" loads through the revolver to make sure it had no fleas. At the end of that firing, it had developed a ton of radial endshake, both cylinder and yoke, not to mention quite a bit of lateral slop… IOW the "cylinder lockup".

It still shoots, of course, but its loose as a goose and some more extended firing would undoubtedly result in timing issues. Personally, I think it is an issue with the polymer frame having too much "give" in it, etc. Whatever the cause, I was seriously underwhelmed with this piece. Some wax orgasmic over the supposedly super trigger… sorry, I don't see (or feel) it. Its a little bit bigger (and therefore more difficult to conceal, especially in a pocket) than a J frame.

Color me unimpressed… mightily so. I think that the accursed S&W lock is the devil's spawn… but I'd take a J frame so equipped before I would an LCR, for my personal use.

Chuck Haggard
11-12-2013, 12:55 AM
My LCR has about a thousand rounds through it now, but being a .22lr it really doesn't get stressed much.

LSP972
11-12-2013, 08:54 AM
I neglected to clarify that the one I dealt with is a .38.

Tamara
11-12-2013, 09:45 AM
It still shoots, of course, but its loose as a goose and some more extended firing would undoubtedly result in timing issues. Personally, I think it is an issue with the polymer frame having too much "give" in it, etc.

The LCR's frame is aluminum.

EDIT: Except the .357s, which are steel.

breakingtime91
11-12-2013, 12:25 PM
My 357 Lcr has held up well. Only have about a thousand 38s through it though. What sold me on it over the jframe was being able to switch out the front sight myself.

LSP972
11-12-2013, 05:23 PM
The LCR's frame is aluminum.

EDIT: Except the .357s, which are steel.

Oh?

Okay; so where's the polymer?

(I don't have it to hand, and it has been well over a year since handled/shot it).

LSP972
11-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Dunno, this kinda looks like a polymer frame to me???

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/features.html

Tamara
11-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Dunno, this kinda looks like a polymer frame to me???

http://www.ruger.com/products/lcr/features.html

From the linked page:

Supports cylinder and barrel, is made from aerospace grade, 7000 series aluminum in 22 LR, 22 WMRF and 38 Special LCR models. The powerful LCR-357 model is made from blackened 400 series stainless steel.

Here's a picture.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_pPsuc9rvU4Y/S_MnymbhW6I/AAAAAAAABnI/3iLs_34tc10/s1600/lcr1.jpg

I can't believe I'm having to do this here, of all places...

LSP972
11-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Believe it.

Thanks.

I'm still unimpressed with my sample of one.

ares338
11-28-2013, 10:42 AM
I have had my LCR 357 for two years now with about 1200 rounds fired from it. I shoot about 25% reloads and factory ammo, 25% +P and 50% 357 mag. I must be a masochist because I love shooting the 357 rounds and I am proud to say that everything about this revolver is as tight as the day I bought it and no I don't work for Ruger. When I first started shooting it I couldn't hit squat with although the trigger is very smooth. After watching the good revolver shooters and reading a lot of reference material I have progressed nicely into being a good shot with it. I pocket carry this when I am not carrying my XDS. I don't know why some don't hold up as well as others but I am sold on mine. :D

ABC
12-18-2013, 07:52 PM
I have around 4,000 rounds (give or take ~300 either way) through mine, and it is still doing the job with no discernible difference.

Wendell
12-19-2013, 02:26 AM
"...The 13.5 ounce, small frame, 5-shot LCR has three main components: a polymer fire control housing, an aircraft quality aluminum monolithic frame, and an extensively fluted stainless steel cylinder." (http://www.ruger.com/news/2009-01-14a.html)

Tamara
12-19-2013, 06:50 AM
"...The 13.5 ounce, small frame, 5-shot LCR has three main components: a polymer fire control housing, an aircraft quality aluminum monolithic frame, and an extensively fluted stainless steel cylinder." (http://www.ruger.com/news/2009-01-14a.html)

Is there an echo in here? :D

Doc_Glock
01-12-2017, 05:14 PM
Necro post to see if there is any further input on the J-Frame versus LCR durability question. I own no revolvers and am considering one of the above for light weight gun duties in .38 Special. I have liked the LCRs I have handled at the store, but in general I have found Ruger products to be so so from a longevity standpoint. Some are great, some not so much.

Is there a consensus as to which of the little revolvers works best in the small, light, .38 BUG role?

WheelGunMan
01-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Necro post to see if there is any further input on the J-Frame versus LCR durability question. I own no revolvers and am considering one of the above for light weight gun duties in .38 Special. I have liked the LCRs I have handled at the store, but in general I have found Ruger products to be so so from a longevity standpoint. Some are great, some not so much.

Is there a consensus as to which of the little revolvers works best in the small, light, .38 BUG role?

I own an LCR in .357...the cylinder and frame are stainless steel as are the frames in the 9mm Luger and .327 Federal Magnum models. I primarily shoot .38+p ammo with mine, but purchased it for the heavy frame. I've put several hundred rounds thru it with no problems. The action gets smoother with use. It is my EDC and is with me 24/7.

LSP972
01-14-2017, 06:13 AM
I own an LCR in .357...the cylinder and frame are stainless steel as are the frames in the 9mm Luger and .327 Federal Magnum models. I primarily shoot .38+p ammo with mine, but purchased it for the heavy frame. I've put several hundred rounds thru it with no problems. The action gets smoother with use. It is my EDC and is with me 24/7.

Guess they are better/more durable for the more powerful bullets now. Glad you like yours.

My mother finally got to where she cannot use one. It's an "original" LCR .38 Special, hasn't had but 200 or so service rounds. Sold it to my brother, he put 50 rounds through it, cleaned it, and uses it now and keeps it clean but will likely never shoot it for practice again... Like most folks. Good for him; he's somewhat ready, in much better mental attitude than most Americans these days.

I'm glad he likes his LCR. I'm glad I prefer my S&W J frames. Life is good.;)

Eastex
01-14-2017, 07:55 AM
Life is good.;)

Glad to see you posting on here, hope alls well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LSP972
01-14-2017, 08:50 AM
It is... For now.:D

I'll "play" it as long as as I can.:cool:

Buckshot
01-18-2017, 01:16 PM
LCRs with aluminum frame= 38 Spl & 22LR. all the rest (including the 22 Mag:confused:) are steel frames

LSP972
01-19-2017, 07:16 AM
Ruger is coming up with some special colors, etc., apparently, in the LCRs. Saw them yesterday in the displays at the big LGS.

I'm still not interested in the LCR (good piece, though), still looking for a no-lock titanium cylinder super-light J frame for another extra, always seem to keep missing one by five minutes. My fault, I'll fix it. They aren't cheap; oh well.

11B10
01-19-2017, 09:51 AM
Guess they are better/more durable for the more powerful bullets now. Glad you like yours.

My mother finally got to where she cannot use one. It's an "original" LCR .38 Special, hasn't had but 200 or so service rounds. Sold it to my brother, he put 50 rounds through it, cleaned it, and uses it now and keeps it clean but will likely never shoot it for practice again... Like most folks. Good for him; he's somewhat ready, in much better mental attitude than most Americans these days.

I'm glad he likes his LCR. I'm glad I prefer my S&W J frames. Life is good.;)

It's great to see: "LSP972" up in lights again! I look forward to reading what you've got to say because I know it's origin is from experience. Keep 'em coming, buddy.

RJ
01-19-2017, 10:04 AM
It's great to see: "LSP972" up in lights again! I look forward to reading what you've got to say because I know it's origin is from experience. Keep 'em coming, buddy.

This.

LSP972
01-19-2017, 11:27 PM
Thanks, guys. Getting back, close as I can. Gonna try that new/today P30SK Saturday.

11B10
01-20-2017, 02:23 PM
Thanks, guys. Getting back, close as I can. Gonna try that new/today P30SK Saturday.

I know that I need your opinion because mine is so badly twisted after fondling one yesterday. I am in SO deep now.

blues
01-20-2017, 02:25 PM

Great to hear. :cool:

LSP972
01-20-2017, 10:38 PM
I know that I need your opinion because mine is so badly twisted after fondling one yesterday. I am in SO deep now.

Well, unless you intend to stay with the original 10 round mags, you will need to spend time (and money) getting your 13 or 15 round magazines set up just right for practice/carrying-as-spares. The P30SK's grip bottom is a bit different from other HKs, it needs some different help. Not a BIG deal... just different from the other HKs.

I have been using a P30 15 shot mag as an EDC spare magazine for my USPc 9mm for over a year now; did two of those, I practice a lot with the second one (and does it show!). I will use that same carry mag as a spare EDC carry for the P30SK, use the beat-up version to train/practice with. BUT... Gotta add a bit more extra to it, because the grip is now shorter. I THINK I know how I'm gonna work it out... Will let you guys know either way, but it will be a couple of weeks at least before I can firm it up. Once I get my new IWB holsters finished next week, I'll post some photos.

One thing... Rich's new holster is a REAL sweety. If I keep losing weight, I damn sure won't need any steenkin' IWB holster, and will order one of my own.:cool:

I have several Rosen holsters, he is one the three best as far as I am concerned.

eb07
01-30-2017, 05:53 PM
Here is my LCR review at 4000.

https://thedesertsedge.wordpress.com/2014/05/30/ruger-lcr-357-long-term-review/

https://i2.wp.com/s28.postimg.org/i82td6qot/IMG_2182.jpg

Here it is a 6k magnum and +P:. With over 2000 being magnum...

https://thedesertsedge.wordpress.com/2016/03/28/revisiting-the-ruger-lcr-and-its-speed-loaders/

https://thedesertsedge.files.wordpress.com/2016/03/img_0664-copy1.jpg

The only breakage being that plastic dust cover on the hammer pivot pin which ruger sent me a replacement no questions asked

I retired it and carry a 442 now.