PDA

View Full Version : NFL rule bans off-duty cops guns at stadiums

RoyGBiv
10-07-2013, 05:08 PM
NFL rule bans off-duty cops from bringing guns into Stadiums (http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/10/nfl_rule_bans_off-duty_cops_fr.html)

The rule, which police said took effect Sept. 11, applies to all NFL facilities and all off-duty federal, state and local law enforcement officers.

Off-duty officers who attempt to bring firearms into an NFL facility will be denied entry.
Is there some logic that escapes me that makes this a GOOD idea?

LHS
10-07-2013, 05:12 PM
NFL rule bans off-duty cops from bringing guns into Stadiums (http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2013/10/nfl_rule_bans_off-duty_cops_fr.html)

Guns are bad, and we need to keep people safe from those evil guns! And guns are only not evil when a cop is holding it, but even then, only the badge keeps the evil at bay.

GardoneVT
10-07-2013, 05:24 PM

Looking at this from a hoplophobe's perspective, it does offer one advantage.Instead of having to train your event security staff to distinguish between off duty LE and lawfully carrying citizens ,now the NFL management can just deny anyone with a firearm entry.Makes things simple.

John Ralston
10-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Maybe too many of the Aaron Hernandez's of the League were trying to get through the gates by pretending to be off duty cops.

ToddG
10-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Todd's headline: What is the NFL trying to hide by limiting the number of police officers at stadiums during football games?

GardoneVT
10-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Maybe too many of the Aaron Hernandez's of the League were trying to get through the gates by pretending to be off duty cops.

If I recall, hasn't the NFL already banned weapon ownership by players in response to that incident?

RoyGBiv
10-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Looking at this from a hoplophobe's perspective, it does offer one advantage.Instead of having to train your event security staff to distinguish between off duty LE and lawfully carrying citizens ,now the NFL management can just deny anyone with a firearm entry.Makes things simple.

In TX this rule could someday meet an interesting challenge. Last legislative session, a bill was introduced that would have removed many of the "prohibited places" from the TX CHL list, giving CHL-Citizens the authority to carry almost everywhere LE can carry, including professional sporting events. Concensus was that it would have passed if it wasn't squashed in committee.

Currently, TX CHL code does not allow publicly owned land or buildings (except schools and courthouses) to be posted off limits. This includes privately run businesses (like Cowboy Stadium) that lease public lands. For example, the TX State Fair MUST allow CHL, except into the Cotton Bowl during games.

You know AlQ and their allies are laughing at this. Not to mention the regular crazies.

Dagga Boy
10-07-2013, 05:51 PM
It's to make stadiums a safer target for international freedom fighters against American oppression, drunks, violent fans, the insane, recreational drug users, gang members and all the other people that the oppressive police hate. I just don't go to these public venues that don't want me anymore. I can watch in the comfort of Ft. Nyeti and others can go to places where they can be safe from the police. I'll spend my money at places like the Texas State Fair, where I was not only welcomed like all CHL holders, but thanked by the L/E officers for carrying.

RoyGBiv...Cowboy's Stadium does not allow LEOSA carry, unless that has changed since May. I sucked it up for Chris Kyle's funeral because he was a friend, and for my kid for Taylor Swift. Otherwise, I won't go to these things and leave a gun in the car for a sporting event.

TR675
10-07-2013, 05:58 PM
I just got a mental image of Ft. Nyeti:

Amber late season prairie grass waves over undulating hills.

The enemy lurks, unseen yet known, over the horizon just at the limits of our vision.

A log stockade encircles rough-hewn cabins, a barn and a watch tower.

In the middle of it all is a giant, wearing a chrome Spartan helmet, clutching a shotgun, and rehearsing his war cry.

Naked...waiting...

ToddG
10-07-2013, 06:08 PM

http://unbrandeddesignsblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/cardboard-box-fort.jpg?w=1120&h=602

BLR
10-07-2013, 06:16 PM

The enemy lurks, unseen yet known, over the horizon just at the limits of our vision.

In the middle of it all is a giant, wearing a chrome Spartan helmet, clutching a shotgun, and rehearsing his war cry.

Naked...waiting...

Great. Now I need to bleach my brain.

RoyGBiv
10-07-2013, 06:18 PM
RoyGBiv...Cowboy's Stadium does not allow LEOSA carry, unless that has changed since May. I sucked it up for Chris Kyle's funeral because he was a friend, and for my kid for Taylor Swift. Otherwise, I won't go to these things and leave a gun in the car for a sporting event.

Currently professional sporting events are off limits. If that prohibition goes away they'll need to move the stadium off public land if they want the NFL ban to be enforceable in TX.

RoyGBiv
10-07-2013, 06:20 PM
http://unbrandeddesignsblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/cardboard-box-fort.jpg?w=1120&h=602

I just LOL'd in a public place. :D

John Hearne
10-07-2013, 06:21 PM
As one who has visited Ft. Nyeti, I have an image of him wearing that costume, sitting where I sat. Sweet Jesus.....

LHS
10-07-2013, 06:25 PM

Naked...waiting...

Wait... are you sure that's not a bear?

jlw
10-07-2013, 06:26 PM
The teams typically lease the facilities for the games. With a lease, they have control over the facilities during their events, and they can exclude parties if they want to do so. I have the option to not go to games, which I exercise.

The Falcons contacted me last season to invite our deputies for a special event. I expressed that I would not be attending due to their policies.

Dagga Boy
10-07-2013, 06:50 PM
As one who has visited Ft. Nyeti, I have an image of him wearing that costume, sitting where I sat. Sweet Jesus.....

As John can attest.......picture a 10 foot wall around a very well guarded country club facility that is best known for its professional athlete residents and a famous golf tournament. Of course since I moved in, the neighborhood concern is now about the local white trash and bass fishing on the golf course. I figure if I can't shoot on it, I may as well find some good use for it:cool:.

I am a little insulted by the bear comment. I shave me head so you can tell I am not a bear......sheeeesh.

Odin Bravo One
10-07-2013, 07:07 PM
I sucked it up for Chris Kyle's funeral because he was a friend

I just walked in......no one even bothered to check.

ST911
10-07-2013, 07:07 PM
If you don't want to vote with your wallet and enjoy a game in person... I have found the security screeners at most pro sports venues to be as competent, thorough, and attentive as ever. Get to know your park/stadium/rink, dress accordingly, and choose a screener to your liking. Easy day.

John Hearne
10-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Shortly after 9/11. I attended a Broncos game in Denver. They were checking bags and "physically searching" everyone entering the stadium. I was pulling put my credentials when the guy started to search me. He felt the bottom of my OWB holster and turned his head quizzically. I could literally hear him think "that's a big cell phone" and then he sent me through without seeing my creds. Security theater at its best.

MDS
10-07-2013, 07:15 PM

Yaar. But of all the events where they don't want my gun, that one had enough guns that I don't think mine would have made a difference.

Palmguy
10-07-2013, 07:18 PM

Disney World has the same policy. Seems silly to me, then again the Mouse doesn't have the same entry countermeasures that NFL games do (infallibility of said countermeasures notwithstanding) so whatever...

ST911
10-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Disney World has the same policy. Seems silly to me, then again the Mouse doesn't have the same entry countermeasures that NFL games do (infallibility of said countermeasures notwithstanding) so whatever...

There's so much eyewash at the Disney checkpoints, one should almost bring a life jacket.

RoyGBiv
10-07-2013, 07:53 PM

IANAL, but I did do my research.
The only time Cowboy Stadium can prohibit CHL is on game day.
Now, just because it's not legal for them to keep your CHL off public property, doesn't mean they won't try.
I believe the expression is "You might beat the rap, but not the ride"

The stadium is on land that is owned by the City of Arlington and thus the taxpayer.
Taxpayers cannot be prohibited from exercising their 2A rights on TX public lands, except under limited circumstances, according to statute.

TX PC 30.06:

PC §30.06. TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN.
(a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:
[snip]

(e)It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on
which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a
governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the
license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035

Cowboys Stadium appraisal information: HERE (http://www.tad.org/Datasearch/re.cfm?Account=%28.!%20BJ]%3C7JPH)

Property Location:
900 E Randol Mill Rd, Arlington
Owner Information: Arlington, City of
Legal Description: Beachum & Johnson Subdivision
Lot 3R & Blackwell, Randol
East, Ivy Est Etal & Pt Cl St
Cowboy Stadium Site

The same PC is what makes CHL into the State Fair OK.
And FYI, American Airlines Center is owned by City of Dallas.
I'll be heading to a concert (not a prohibited event) later this month and plan on carrying.

This is my OPINION. Not legal advice.

Dagga Boy
10-07-2013, 08:07 PM

You weren't out with the regular folk. I got both patted and wanded, AND we were told if you weren't on-duty, in uniform, firearms were a no-go. It was not the venue to get crappy about it, and I wasn't too worried about the crowd or my pistol getting stolen out of my vehicle.

SeriousStudent
10-07-2013, 08:07 PM
As John can attest.......picture a 10 foot wall around a very well guarded country club facility that is best known for its professional athlete residents and a famous golf tournament. Of course since I moved in, the neighborhood concern is now about the local white trash and bass fishing on the golf course. I figure if I can't shoot on it, I may as well find some good use for it:cool:.

I'd always imagined a set of pikes out front of your place, with cleanly-picked skulls. You know, pour encourager les autres.

Dagga Boy
10-07-2013, 09:28 PM
I'd always imagined a set of pikes out front of your place, with cleanly-picked skulls. You know, pour encourager les autres.

I am already on the HOA "Terrorist Watch List" over having my trash out an hour too early. The pikes would probably garner a drone strike (they would have to go that route after our last go round with having to clearly define what "setting a foot on my property" would warrant for a response:p). With that said, I REALLY want a cannon for the front of the house. I think it will clearly define my full Texas conversion.

TCinVA
10-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Well with all the felons they have on the field I can understand why the NFL might be a bit jumpy...

SeriousStudent
10-07-2013, 10:58 PM
I am already on the HOA "Terrorist Watch List" over having my trash out an hour too early. The pikes would probably garner a drone strike (they would have to go that route after our last go round with having to clearly define what "setting a foot on my property" would warrant for a response:p). With that said, I REALLY want a cannon for the front of the house. I think it will clearly define my full Texas conversion.

If you are going to fly a Goliad flag, might as well have the cannon to match.

LHS
10-07-2013, 11:26 PM
I am a little insulted by the bear comment. I shave me head so you can tell I am not a bear......sheeeesh.

Now I'm envisioning a shaven-pate bear with 870s for paws, flying a Goliad flag.

http://data3.whicdn.com/images/65004598/large.gif

jlw
10-07-2013, 11:56 PM
Well with all the felons they have on the field I can understand why the NFL might be a bit jumpy...

I like to watch the player intros for games to see how many I have personally arrested. There's one starting linebacker in the league right now that I arrested for stealing a car among other things. There are others that are out of the league now.

PT Doc
10-08-2013, 06:06 AM
I like to watch the player intros for games to see how many I have personally arrested. There's one starting linebacker in the league right now that I arrested for stealing a car among other things. There are others that are out of the league now.

I bet you have a field day at UGA games. :D

Dagga Boy
10-08-2013, 07:04 AM
I'm lucky, my NFL neighbors are all good folks and more interested in golf than criminal stuff... plus, Tony Romo gives out great candy at Halloween.

LOKNLOD
10-08-2013, 07:05 AM

Have you ever attacked John Candy?

http://youtu.be/OBJ-MpPBDug

RoyGBiv
10-08-2013, 08:01 AM
If you are going to fly a Goliad flag, might as well have the cannon to match.

I find that dismembered arm holding a sword to be kinda creepy.
Self-inflicted amputation is pretty icky.
If I came upon men fighting under that banner, I'd think they were more crazy than competent.
Perhaps that was the point?

http://www.galleryoftherepublic.com/images/txflags/goliad.jpg

Origin (http://www.tamu.edu/faculty/ccbn/dewitt/adp/history/republic/flags/dimmits.html)

TR675
10-08-2013, 09:14 AM
I'm lucky, my NFL neighbors are all good folks and more interested in golf than criminal stuff... plus, Tony Romo gives out great candy at Halloween.

I've been out there, that is one nice neighborhood.

Odin Bravo One
10-08-2013, 12:25 PM

That's a plus, especially since we know he won't be handing out candy at a Super Bowl afterparty!

BaiHu
10-08-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm the first one to jump on the bandwagon of "why don't we want more cops with guns in a stadium, which is a perfect soft target?"

But....after discussing this with a fellow logician, we came to this conclusion:

Probably easier for the State Police and Snipers to distinguish bad guys from good guys when bad guys are all 'plain clothes' :confused:

Just our thoughts on the matter.

RoyGBiv
10-09-2013, 10:06 AM
Someone pointed out this bit of TX code to me this morning...

Sec. 30.05. CRIMINAL TRESPASS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person enters or remains on or in property of another, including residential land, agricultural land, a recreational vehicle park, a building, or an aircraft or other vehicle, without effective consent and the person:

(1) had notice that the entry was forbidden; or

(2) received notice to depart but failed to do so.

{snip}

(i) This section does not apply if:

(1) the basis on which entry on the property or land or in the building was forbidden is that entry with a handgun or other weapon was forbidden; and

(2) the actor at the time of the offense was a peace officer, including a commissioned peace officer of a recognized state, or a special investigator under Article 2.122, Code of Criminal Procedure, regardless of whether the peace officer or special investigator was engaged in the actual discharge of an official duty while carrying the weapon.

Dagga Boy
10-09-2013, 11:58 AM
That's a plus, especially since we know he won't be handing out candy at a Super Bowl afterparty!

Which sucks, because I like it better when his wife is handing out the candy:cool:. Even as a big Cowboys fan, that was funny:o. I am at the phase where I am getting good at accepting mediocrity, find humor in Cowboys jokes, and still hoping that someday they will find a way to get the actual Super Bowl quarterback as a coach instead of his back-up.