PDA

View Full Version : Proud WingDad!

JRCHolsters
10-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Just got back from a busy trip to Lackland Air Force Base, to see my son Jim, graduate from basic training. Not only did the Air Force put on a really nice celebration, they excelled at making all the families feel welcome and appreciated.

It was a very emotional trip, as we hadn't seen Jim in almost a year and a half, only to be topped off by how proud we are of him. Jim told me before he left that he wanted to be an Honor Graduate and was going to work his hardest. During basic training, he suffered some nerve damage to his arm and there was quite sometime that he couldn't even use it. He did not let that get in the way of his goals. He was known as "Mr. Volunteer" amongst his classmates. He literally volunteered for every detail that came up, often covering shifts for friends, meaning he lost out on precious sleep. He had many medical appointments that kept him out of classes, yet he managed to stay on top of everything, despite his limited time. When it came down to crunch time, he talked the doctors into letting him off of his physical waiver and punched out 50 good pushups in one minute, stunning his doctors. He excelled at classes and was well liked by everyone around him. He locked in Honor Graduate because he worked his ass off and never gave up, no matter how bad things appeared.

My son is my hero and I don't think I could be any prouder. I know I immensely appreciate what he is doing and loved seeing the pride he and his classmates beamed.

BaiHu
10-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Congrats to you and your family!

GardoneVT
10-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Congradulations are in order for both of you.

What's your sons AFSC?

Erik
10-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Congratulations!

SecondsCount
10-07-2013, 10:52 AM
Congrats! Good to see someone putting in the extra effort for their country.

RoyGBiv
10-07-2013, 11:03 AM
Very nice.! Congratulations to your family and THANKS to your Son.

JRCHolsters
10-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks, we are very proud!

Not sure of his AFSC. I do know he is training as an Avionics Technician for the F16. He leaves for Sheppard Air Force base shortly. His school is about 9 months long.

JHC
10-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Congratulations, that's AWESOME!

98z28
10-07-2013, 04:46 PM
That's fantastic! Congrats to you all.

JM Campbell
10-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Congrats!!

Sad to hear that you where in town and I couldn't meet up with you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

SeriousStudent
10-07-2013, 06:54 PM
Please pass on my thanks to your son for his service to our nation, and I wish him the best of luck in his school.

And encourage him to be out of Wichita Falls before August. The weather gets wee bit uncomfy then.

JRCHolsters
10-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Congrats!!

Sad to hear that you where in town and I couldn't meet up with you!

Shoot, it was such a whirlwind trip, it didn't even occur to me to see who lived there. We really enjoyed the River Walk your city offers and we also became fans of the Magnolia Pancake Haus(actually had breakfast there twice).

JRCHolsters
10-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Please pass on my thanks to your son for his service to our nation, and I wish him the best of luck in his school.

And encourage him to be out of Wichita Falls before August. The weather gets wee bit uncomfy then.

Thank you! I will pass it on to him. If everything goes well he should be out of there just before August.

Kyle Reese
10-07-2013, 08:43 PM
Best wishes to your son & please thank him for his service!

JM Campbell
10-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Ohh the great MPH!!!

If you or any of your family is ever back in SA please don't hesitate to drop me a line.

That goes for any forum member and foremost any service member...steaks on me.

JRCHolsters
10-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Thank you gentleman!! My son truly appreciates the gratitude that people express.

Chuck Whitlock
10-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Congrats to all.

JMorse
10-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Wonderful! You have every right to be a proud papa! Please thank your son for his service for me.

Chuck Whitlock
10-08-2013, 09:39 AM
Since I did that same job on A-6s in the Corps, he are a few tips for him when he gets to his school(s):

There are no such things as lengths of flightline.

Jetwash/propwash does not come in buckets.

Military aircraft do not have keys.

An "A-S-H" receiver is an ashtray.

A "Bee-One-Cee" is a Bic lighter or pen.

In general, be aware if tasked to go fetch such items.
He will come across as one salty dog if he knows this going in!

JRCHolsters
10-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Since I did that same job on A-6s in the Corps, he are a few tips for him when he gets to his school(s):

There are no such things as lengths of flightline.

Jetwash/propwash does not come in buckets.

Military aircraft do not have keys.

An "A-S-H" receiver is an ashtray.

A "Bee-One-Cee" is a Bic lighter or pen.

In general, be aware if tasked to go fetch such items.
He will come across as one salty dog if he knows this going in!

LMAO! Thanks for the tips. I will be sure to pass these on to him. I know he will appreciate being one up on the jokes ;)

EMC
10-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Well done!