PDA

View Full Version : .40, because it overpenetrates less

SecondsCount
10-05-2013, 02:34 PM
I have heard this twice in one year. "Go with 40 because when you shoot someone in the house, the rounds won't go through stuff like 9mm and 45"

The first time was from the gal who cuts my hair. Her husband purchased a subcompact Taurus in 40 because that is what the CCP instructor told him to get and gave him the line for justification.

Another person repeated the other day, I guess his father in law was giving him advice on what pistol to purchase.

Where did this theory propogate from and does it have any legitimacy to it?

BLR
10-05-2013, 02:50 PM
I have heard this twice in one year. "Go with 40 because when you shoot someone in the house, the rounds won't go through stuff like 9mm and 45"

The first time was from the gal who cuts my hair. Her husband purchased a subcompact Taurus in 40 because that is what the CCP instructor told him to get and gave him the line for justification.

Another person repeated the other day, I guess his father in law was giving him advice on what pistol to purchase.

9mm and 45 are, traditionally, "ball" rounds.

The 40 is a JHP from the start.

At least that is what I'll offer as explanation.

jetfire
10-05-2013, 02:58 PM

1) people who don't understand pistol ballistics, and 2) none whatsoever.

Tamara
10-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Where did this theory propogate from...

I've heard more dumb stuff in gun stores than most people can imagine, but that's absolutely a new one on me. :confused:

Chuck Haggard
10-05-2013, 03:50 PM
I've heard more dumb stuff in gun stores than most people can imagine, but that's absolutely a new one on me. :confused:

^This^

BTW, JHP will act like ball rounds when they hit building materials and continue to penetrate just like FMJ. Since the .40 was, and often is chosen by folks who want to get through barriers then why would it penetrate less?

LorenzoS
10-05-2013, 04:36 PM
If you are concerned with overpenetration, go with a .22 and aim for behind the ear. It will ricochet inside the skull and kill almost instantly. I learned that from Goodfellas.

Tamara
10-05-2013, 04:47 PM
I learned that from Goodfellas.

So did half the internet, apparently. ;)

gtmtnbiker98
10-05-2013, 07:55 PM
So did half the internet, apparently. ;)

So, that isn't true?

Tamara
10-05-2013, 08:28 PM
So, that isn't true?

They can't put things that aren't true on the internet. Duh. ;)

JSGlock34
10-05-2013, 09:11 PM
I believe I learned about .22 lethality not from Goodfellas, but another mob movie classic, My Blue Heaven...

Vincent 'Vinnie' Antonelli: "Richie loved to use .22s because the bullets are small and they don't come out the other end like a .45, see, a .45 will blow a barn door out the back of your head and there's a lot of dry cleaning involved, but a .22 will just rattle around like Pac-Man until you're dead."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ea/My_blue_heaven_poster.jpg

Tamara
10-05-2013, 09:13 PM
I believe I learned about .22 lethality not from Goodfellas, but another Mob Classic, My Blue Heaven...

I don't mean to digress, but that movie is an under-appreciated classic. :cool:

Sparks2112
10-06-2013, 06:46 AM
I believe I learned about .22 lethality not from Goodfellas, but another mob movie classic, My Blue Heaven...

Vincent 'Vinnie' Antonelli: "Richie loved to use .22s because the bullets are small and they don't come out the other end like a .45, see, a .45 will blow a barn door out the back of your head and there's a lot of dry cleaning involved, but a .22 will just rattle around like Pac-Man until you're dead."

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ea/My_blue_heaven_poster.jpg

In fairness, I've heard that from several people who've actually used them that way.

NETim
10-06-2013, 08:24 AM
We conducted some groundbreaking, earth shattering ballistical (my new word) research last week at the club's monthly match.

We set up 8 pieces of 1/2" drywall.

Every pistol caliber penetrated ALL 8 pieces. The JHP's all plugged up. No expansion at all.

I'll end now and give you all time to recover.

Tamara
10-06-2013, 08:55 AM
I'll end now and give you all time to recover.

Clutch the pearls! :eek:

Al T.
10-06-2013, 09:19 AM
Every pistol caliber penetrated ALL 8 pieces. The JHP's all plugged up. No expansion at all.

Try that with a .223 rifle loaded with VMAX or Ballistic Tips and prepare for your eyebrows to flee to your hairline and apply for refugee status.

NETim
10-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Try that with a .223 rifle loaded with VMAX or Ballistic Tips and prepare for your eyebrows to flee to your hairline and apply for refugee status.

Our dedicated research team smacked the drywall test medium with 55gr Vmax out of a 16" AR. The slug got through 5 boards with fragments hitting the 6th but no penetration.

I didn't want to publish that info in my earlier post out of consideration for the readership here. I understand that some may still be reeling from the results of the pistol cal data. It's a lot to digest and may cause the wreckage of many apple carts.

:)

Seriously, is anyone really surprised?

Al T.
10-06-2013, 11:39 AM
Our dedicated research team smacked the drywall test medium with 55gr Vmax out of a 16" AR.

Get outta my head! lolz

On another board, where frankly the mission is vastly different than here, the gruntled would be dissed and astonishment and disbelief rampant. This is on a weekly basis... :rolleyes:

NETim
10-06-2013, 11:45 AM
Get outta my head! lolz

On another board, where frankly the mission is vastly different than here, the gruntled would be dissed and astonishment and disbelief rampant. This is on a weekly basis... :rolleyes:

I'm actually surprised the VMax made it that far. I predicted 3 boards, 4 max, of complete penetration. Those little Hornady slugs blow up on heavy dew. Still it was readily apparent from our tests that velocity is king.

jetfire
10-06-2013, 12:57 PM
I'm actually surprised the VMax made it that far. I predicted 3 boards, 4 max, of complete penetration. Those little Hornady slugs blow up on heavy dew. Still it was readily apparent from our tests that velocity is king.

They also are murder on coyotes.

Al T.
10-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Next test: line up four coyotes...... :D

EMC
10-06-2013, 02:25 PM

I wonder if this myth is Utah specific. The reason I say this is I've heard this exact argument for .40 from a coworker who's father was a Utah County Sheriff at the time of the Family History Library shooting who told him they switched to .40 based on the "amazing" lack of overpenetration by police weapons used in that incident (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/691795/Library-shooting-incident----the-key-events.html?pg=all).

jetfire
10-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Next test: line up four coyotes...... :D

In all seriousness, I've never had a V-Max exit a dog when shot in the body. I've had a couple exits with head shots, but the effects of a V-Max on a medium sized 'yote's head are shocking to say the least.

jkurtz7
10-06-2013, 04:52 PM
The amount of stupid among average gun owners really is astounding. Never heard that before about .40, and it's on par with my neighbor believing that since his .17 HMR vaporizes squirrel heads, it will do just fine in a home defense situation.

Tamara
10-06-2013, 05:24 PM
(I)t's on par with my neighbor believing that since his .17 HMR vaporizes squirrel heads, it will do just fine in a home defense situation.

You underestimate the squirrel menace.

jkurtz7
10-06-2013, 07:41 PM
You underestimate the squirrel menace.

Squirrels fear me, but I am losing the war with the chipmunk army in my flower beds. For every one sniped, two more show up.

Chuck Whitlock
10-06-2013, 08:17 PM
I don't mean to digress, but that movie is an under-appreciated classic. :cool:

+1.
I was just thinking of this movie the other day, but couldn't remember the title.

Chuck Haggard
10-06-2013, 08:59 PM
I wonder if this myth is Utah specific. The reason I say this is I've heard this exact argument for .40 from a coworker who's father was a Utah County Sheriff at the time of the Family History Library shooting who told him they switched to .40 based on the "amazing" lack of overpenetration by police weapons used in that incident (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/691795/Library-shooting-incident----the-key-events.html?pg=all).

Yeah, that was a well reasoned scientific choice.

psalms144.1
10-07-2013, 07:01 PM
I'm reminded of one of my senior military guys (career USAF Security Forces) who swore by frangible ammunition in his HD AR because it "explodes and vaoprizes flesh" on contact.

I still want to go back and throat punch the son of a gun at Shoot Straight who sold him on that line of kittens...

And, of course, the USA MSG MP who told me, in all seriousness, that the next duty pistol for DOD would be a .45 ACP because "the concussion from the muzzle blast will knock someone down to about five yards away..." This is a guy who claimed to have been decisively engaged in the now-defunct Joint Combat Pistol program.

Regards,

Kevin