PDA

View Full Version : Mesa AZ Cop asked to not show up in uniform at daughter's school

Corlissimo
10-04-2013, 08:35 AM
Is AZ really getting this bad?

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/23596179/2013/10/02/officer-dropping-off-daughter-at-school-asked?fb_action_ids=10201473310988314&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_ref=.Uk6s_h4u6mc.like&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B595879863804066%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22og.recommends%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%22.Uk6s_h4u6mc.like%22%5D

~ Typos brought to you by my lazyness & in attention to detail.

ToddG
10-04-2013, 08:40 AM
http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/story/23596179/2013/10/02/officer-dropping-off-daughter-at-school-asked?fb_action_ids=10201473310988314&fb_action_types=og.recommends&fb_ref=.Uk6s_h4u6mc.like&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B595879863804066%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22og.recommends%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%22.Uk6s_h4u6mc.like%22%5D

"The issue was that other parents were concerned because he had a gun."

Inmates running the asylum...

Josh Runkle
10-04-2013, 08:41 AM
America is beyond effed. This is just the beginning of this stuff.

SecondsCount
10-04-2013, 08:42 AM
They were just trying to adopt Starbuck's policy.

Corlissimo
10-04-2013, 08:54 AM
It seems likely that many of these "parents" who were upset haven't exactly been doing their job completely. Have they even bothered to explain the concept of police officers as being there for helpful purposes? Or, have they just used a blanket statement about how anyone with a gun is "bad" and to be "feared/reported" immediately?

My money is on the latter. :(

~ Typos brought to you by my lazyness & in attention to detail.

RoyGBiv
10-04-2013, 09:01 AM
http://danieljmitchell.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/gun-free-cartoon-3.jpg

Tamara
10-04-2013, 09:08 AM
My first reaction to hearing this was "Wait, Arizona?"

Look, guys, there are already checkpoints along the California border. Seize them and turn their guns around and start checking cars for signs of invasive species, like voting cards or real estate brochures.

GardoneVT
10-04-2013, 09:09 AM
"Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted."
-Vladimir Lenin

Tamara
10-04-2013, 09:12 AM
"Give me four years to teach the children and the seed I have sown will never be uprooted."
-Vladimir Lenin

Yeah, no (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100826170434AAx0sBZ).

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. (http://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/index.htm)" - V.I. Lenin

GardoneVT
10-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Yeah, no (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100826170434AAx0sBZ).

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. (http://www.marxists.org/archive/lenin/works/index.htm)" - V.I. Lenin

I hope you didn't miss the general point.One day, those kids will grow up to be legal voters someday.

Chuck Haggard
10-04-2013, 09:44 AM
That would just guarantee that I show up armed and in uniform every day.

ToddG
10-04-2013, 09:44 AM
That would just guarantee that I show up armed and in uniform every day.

I love you, man.
No homo.

Tamara
10-04-2013, 09:45 AM
I hope you didn't miss the general point.

Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes.

Chuck Haggard
10-04-2013, 09:50 AM
There were several times after call outs that I showed up at school in my SWAT uniform, sans heavy vest, because I didn't have time to change and seeing my daughters singing or in a play was vastly more important than my appearance. I also often stopped by in my street uniform on my break if I couldn't get the night off.

No one ever said anything, and many of the kids thought it was cool. "You're a real SWAT dude?...." gives an opening to some very real community policing efforts, talks about gun safety, etc.

jlw
10-04-2013, 05:02 PM
What a difference 10 months makes...

fixer
10-05-2013, 07:48 AM
My first reaction to hearing this was "Wait, Arizona?"

No joke...super hard to believe this.

GardoneVT
10-05-2013, 09:24 AM
No joke...super hard to believe this.

There are pockets of hoplophobia in every state.Texas has Austin, Colorado has Denver, you get the idea.

Tamara
10-05-2013, 09:28 AM
Nevah Mind.

Cecil Burch
10-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Arizona has always had a large number of people moving in from other places. Over the past 20 years or so, the majority seem to be from California, Chicago (seriously, we have more Cubs and Bears fans here than actually in Chicago), Detroit, and NYC.

They move here to get away from all the problems there, but bring their attitudes/beliefs with them.

From a couple of local follow up reports I have seen, a lot of parents in the district let the school know they have no problem with the LEO wearing his uniform to pick up the kid. It seems to be at best one or two parents who felt they should be indulged who complained.

Totem Polar
10-05-2013, 11:08 AM
I love you, man.
No homo.

^^^This and that, posted above.

I just now got around to checking out this thread and clicking on the article. Good thing that my blood pressure is typically on the low side, or my head would have flat-out popped off like some sort of Ted Nugent Pez dispenser. That's just unbelievably silly.

Corlissimo
10-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Arizona has always had a large number of people moving in from other places. Over the past 20 years or so, the majority seem to be from California, Chicago (seriously, we have more Cubs and Bears fans here than actually in Chicago), Detroit, and NYC.

They move here to get away from all the problems there, but bring their attitudes/beliefs with them.

From a couple of local follow up reports I have seen, a lot of parents in the district let the school know they have no problem with the LEO wearing his uniform to pick up the kid. It seems to be at best one or two parents who felt they should be indulged who complained.

That's the issue I see as well. When paired with the school district's apparent eagerness to "oil the squeaky wheel" without thinking first, you end up with this stupidity.

Typos brought to you by my DROID... and my apathy.

1911Nut
10-05-2013, 12:18 PM
Arizona native here and current Mesa, AZ resident. While I understand the point made about folks coming to AZ from other places and bringing their preferences and biases with them, I unfortunately must assure you that despite AZ being a great state and gun-friendly, we still have more than our share of liberal do-good folks who are perpetually in search of something to upset or outrage them.

I could give dozens of examples, but will just give one: Rio Salado Sportsman's Club has a huge and highly active range on Usery Pass Road in Mesa. Hundreds of folks use the range every day and the range is operated professionally and safely. Usery Pass Road is heavily traveled every day by literally thousands of people who live in the area as well as folks traveling to the nearly river and lake in the Tonto National Forest.

But once a year, our local bicyclists have a road race that passes through Usery Pass Road. On that day, the range must be shut down for a period of time, because some of the "special" and sensitive bike riders "feel better" that the range is closed when they ride past in their Italian designer outfits and funny helmets. No data to support the need to close the range . . . .just want to make sure the bike riders special needs are addressed.

As for the recent incident we are discussing, I personally find the reaction of school officials (who catered to the outraged and offended parents who complained) and the police administration (who counseled the officer to "just let it go" instead of pushing back to the school and the public) just as repugnant as the wussy, cry-baby, perpetually offended parents who complained in the first place.

Political Correctness has indeed become a major contributor to the continued degradation of our society and loss of the moral fiber that once made this a great country.

I hope at some point the offended parents need assistance from the police in a real hurry. It would be great to tell them that as soon as we could get our officers in the area to change their clothes and disarm themselves, we would have someone on the way to assist.

jlw
10-05-2013, 12:49 PM
One of our Deputies coaches youth league baseball. After coaching a game, he left the ballfields to go do school checks (make sure everything is locked up, etc). Per policy, he was armed as he was driving his SO vehicle. Someone at the ballfields got upset at seeing him on the field wearing a pistol, and I ended up writing a letter to the league explaining that the Deputy was following my written orders and would have been subject to disciplinary action had he not been armed. The league readily accepted this. The Deputy made a personal decision to simply deep conceal at all future games.

---

At my previous agency, I was in uniform and had someone approach me and espouse that there was no need for me or my fellow officers to be armed...

I actually handled that one by ignoring him which seemed both oddly satisfying and unsatisfying all at the same time.

Chuck Haggard
10-05-2013, 04:19 PM
I wonder if they expect the officer to show up at the school armed should 911 call be made about a mad man with a gun or a sword being at the school trying to whack kids.

A definition of insanity is what?

Shellback
10-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Brilliant. One dude who's legally allowed to carry a gun on campus, be a deterrent in uniform, and bring the hate against Capt. Wingnut Psychopants when he goes bananas and they're gonna castrate him.

will_1400
10-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Brilliant. One dude who's legally allowed to carry a gun on campus, be a deterrent in uniform, and bring the hate against Capt. Wingnut Psychopants when he goes bananas and they're gonna castrate him.

At which point they'll stampede trying to get behind that one dude only to find out he can't fight the bad guy because they negated his ability to do so.

fixer
10-06-2013, 10:01 AM

I grew up in Sedona and later Mesa. I could see this coming with the housing boom. It was a small but measurable reason I relocated to Tx.

Tamara
10-06-2013, 10:39 AM
I grew up in Sedona and later Mesa. I could see this coming with the housing boom. It was a small but measurable reason I relocated to Tx.

There's always a chance the hippies'll get distracted by Taos and never make it all the way to Texas.

Dagga Boy
10-06-2013, 11:18 AM
There's always a chance the hippies'll get distracted by Taos and never make it all the way to Texas.

I think there is a reason west Texas looks the way it does........."turn around, nothing to see here".

TR675
10-06-2013, 11:21 AM
Trust me, they're already here.

RoyGBiv
10-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Trust me, they're already here.

Not so many on the West side yet. I've yet to run into any Fort Worthians that want to take away my heater.
Allen, McKinney, Plano (Highland Park?)... The ExtraTexasrestrials are multiplying.
Maybe I just run in a good circle. :cool:

TR675
10-06-2013, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I live in Oak Lawn and hang out in Uptown and Oak Cliff. Coming here from Ft. Worth would be like visiting Mars.

JeffJ
10-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Lake Highlands baby - inside the loop, normal people live here, small town atmosphere, good luck finding a house...

I've not met too many gun-grabber liberal types from Highland Park, in fact, most of the parkies I know are pretty right wing. Uptown is mostly under 30 and clueless. The California invasion is mostly North of Plano - the Allen, Fairfield, McKinney area is where they seem to be flocking to.

TriumphRat675 - You live in Oak Lawn, huh? :rolleyes: - that can be kinda like visiting Mars

Dagga Boy
10-11-2013, 10:53 AM
I go to church in Highland Park........I don't think liberals are allowed there:cool:.

TR675
10-11-2013, 11:08 AM
I've not met too many gun-grabber liberal types from Highland Park, in fact, most of the parkies I know are pretty right wing. Uptown is mostly under 30 and clueless. The California invasion is mostly North of Plano - the Allen, Fairfield, McKinney area is where they seem to be flocking to.
TriumphRat675 - You live in Oak Lawn, huh? :rolleyes: - that can be kinda like visiting Mars

HP is about as conservative as you get. The Uptown kids are mostly HP and SMU spawn - I've spent a lot of time there and they're pretty rock-ribbed. I've seen lots of Illinois license plates in Dallas proper but don't go north of 12 if I can help it. Californians may be flocking to Plano but they aren't affecting the politics yet. I know some Collin County pols and that place is Tea Party central.

Oak Lawn is great. Quiet, safe, great neighbors, good prices, convenient. I couldn't care less about my neighbors' personal predilections.

JeffJ
10-11-2013, 11:14 AM
I was just giving you a hard time. Oak Lawn is a really cool area, not too far from my office.

I really like all of the older Dallas neighborhoods, the main selling point for Lake Highlands (Highland Park too, but it's in a whole 'nother price category) is living inside Dallas but not living in the DISD. Private school is expensive.