PDA

View Full Version : Dark Star Gear AIWB (Casual Carry)

Shellback
10-03-2013, 09:56 PM
I need to be able to put on and take off a lightweight gun several times a day while wearing surf bum attire so I dropped a line to Tom at Dark Star Gear to see what we could come up with. I really liked the S&W J-frame AIWB design of his and wanted to incorporate that into my ideas along with utilizing a reliable, secure, easy to don clip which he happened to have a few of. If it looks familiar it’s the same type of clip utilized by Tracker Dan and Kyle Defoor on several of their sheath and holster designs.

I spend a lot of time in board shorts in the summer time around the house and want to have a gun on my person. For one, it’s blazing hot in Vegas and less clothes means less A/C bill. Secondly, I’m in the pool with my lil’ guy several times a day to swim and cool off and don’t want to change 5X a day. Along with that I make frequent trips out to the Mexican market down the street for carne asada on the weekends, beer runs, etc. and having to put on street clothes and strap on my normal CCW rig (G19) after being in the pool is a pain in the butt.

Also, and this could be just my limited perception, but when someone sees a person in board shorts, Chuck Taylors and a t-shirt they hardly think of someone as being armed and vigilant. It doesn’t fit the stereotype, or the clothing, and it’s just not an easy task with what’s presently available on the market, for my tastes anyway.

The holster is molded perfectly and Tom incorporated a tensioning screw as well. Out of the box I tested the holster and about ripped my britches up around my ears so a lil’ loosening and it works like a champ now. I've been testing the holster and after about 100 presentations I haven't had the holster release from my britches. Occasionally there's a slight upward movement, less than 1/2", but this is to be expected running sans belt and the clip design. There’s also a second set of mounting holes to lower the holster, which I will be testing out later this week.

Due to Larry’s “man the *bleep* up” and quit stuffing your face thread I need some new shorts in a 34, that's the reason for the low-rise shorts, not the weight of the gun. The butt of the gun should be snugged up a little more after that. Although, it’s definitely in the acceptable range as is.

Really, it all boils down to having a gun on me when I want to be lounging on the couch, out by the pool and running quickie errands with a t-shirt on. I’ve tested the holster in “track pants” and basketball shorts as well and the holster works exactly as was intended. I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend DSG or this particular holster if it’ll fill a niche in your wardrobe accessory pile.

I am very impressed with the craftsmanship, quality of materials and Tom’s fantastic email correspondence and customer service. Enough bull… Here are some quickie iPhone pictures.

http://imageshack.us/a/img585/3460/606c.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img28/175/mpv2.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img15/4669/e5un.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img69/5168/9vqg.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img716/4807/jbpu.jpg

NickA
10-04-2013, 06:25 AM
That looks really good. I've been bugging Tom for a while about something similar for bigger guns, since I need to arm and disarm frequently myself.

JHC
10-04-2013, 07:45 AM
That looks really good. I've been bugging Tom for a while about something similar for bigger guns, since I need to arm and disarm frequently myself.

This application is what I've found the FIST #1 kydex clip model so useful for. But while I like their glock renditions, I did not find their j frame version useable. This DS holster looks outstanding.

Erik
10-04-2013, 07:53 AM
That does look like a nice solution. I wonder if he could do something similar for the Shield. I assume you need shorts or pants with a drawstring or similar to keep the weight of the gun from pulling your pants down around your ankles. Is that correct?

JodyH
10-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Very nice.
If I didn't already have a Raven VG2 coming for my J-frame I'd give this a try.

Shellback
10-04-2013, 10:58 AM
I heard from a little bird that he's working on something similar for larger guns. ;)

This DS holster looks outstanding.
So far, very impressed.

That does look like a nice solution. I wonder if he could do something similar for the Shield. I assume you need shorts or pants with a drawstring or similar to keep the weight of the gun from pulling your pants down around your ankles. Is that correct?
For board shorts/MMA style shorts it's a non-issue since they tighten with a string anyway. However, depending on how tight the elastic is on say, track pants, then you may need to snug them a little. I'm wearing the gun/holster combo now with track pants and haven't adjusted the drawstring from how I'd normally wear them with no issues. The holster weighs nothing and the gun's light enough wear it's not a big issue in my opinion.

Very nice.
If I didn't already have a Raven VG2 coming for my J-frame I'd give this a try.
I have the VG2 as well. Little different application since the VG2 must use a belt and this was purposefully designed to not use a belt, although it works great with one as well.

MGW
10-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Very interesting. Do you find the corner under the clip digging into you while seated?

Shellback
10-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Very interesting. Do you find the corner under the clip digging into you while seated?

Nope. It's slightly more toward center versus my G19 AIWB in a Shaggy but that's the nature of the beast. Here's a better picture of the tuck feature/stand off and the corner.

http://imageshack.us/a/img703/9242/r86b.jpg

Kyle Reese
10-04-2013, 11:28 PM
I'd be very interested in getting one for my Glock 26.

Wendell
10-05-2013, 01:16 PM
I...have a Raven VG2 coming for my J-frame...

Is this in beta testing?

(It's not on their website (http://www.ravenconcealment.com/holsters/vanguard-holster-systems).)

JodyH
10-05-2013, 04:05 PM
Is this in beta testing?

(It's not on their website (http://www.ravenconcealment.com/holsters/vanguard-holster-systems).)
Raven did a run of custom VG2's for members of another forum and I got in on the buy.
I think they will do the J-frame VG2 as a custom order item but you'd have to call or email them about it.

THellURider
11-05-2013, 10:48 PM
So to play devils advocate, I have a few guesses, but why is this better than like the Desantis clip grips?

Up1911Fan
11-05-2013, 10:56 PM
So to play devils advocate, I have a few guesses, but why is this better than like the Desantis clip grips?

It allow's use of CTC Lasergrips.

Shellback
11-06-2013, 07:52 AM

I've never used the Clip Grip. How does it secure the weapon to your clothes? This holster has a metal spring type clip with a hook that doesn't lend itself to releasing. After repeated draws, that means lots, from the holster it's yet to come free from my britches. I've tested it in various clothing options, sans belt, and it's worked like a champ repeatedly.

newyork
11-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Tom knocked it out of the park on that one.

orionz06
03-11-2014, 10:31 PM
Got it worked out a little better now. Took forever to resolve some supply and fitment issues but I think it'll do.

http://i.imgur.com/7y3Lyxb.jpg

Savage Hands
03-11-2014, 11:11 PM
I'll be ordering one in the future...

KravPirate
03-12-2014, 06:08 AM
Looks awesome! Big fan of the metal clip as I have them on sheaths and a IWB holster from Blade Rigs. What's the chances of carrying this concept over to a Glock 19 AIWB? I would be the first in line.

orionz06
03-12-2014, 06:21 AM
What's the chances of carrying this concept over to a Glock 19 AIWB? I would be the first in line.

You'd be 10th-12th in line, should be pumping some of those guys out soon.

JM Campbell
03-12-2014, 07:41 AM
Oooh..oooohhh

So awesome to see it evolve Tom!

I think that set up with a shield would actually get me to pass on my Vg2 to a needy forum member in another Karma give away thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

karmapolice
03-12-2014, 08:26 AM
I need one of these for my 442!

KravPirate
03-12-2014, 01:27 PM
You'd be 10th-12th in line, should be pumping some of those guys out soon.
Outstanding! Looking forward to it.

Guinnessman
03-24-2014, 07:53 PM
I just received one of Tom's fine AIWB J-frame holsters and I am impressed! Here it is along with an OWB P30 Holster:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m162/GuinessMan/P30holster_zps88485015.jpg

This is why I buy local! It is hard to beat the great communication, price, and attention to detail.

Savage Hands
07-18-2014, 01:32 PM
Hey Tom, do you have this for the Glock 42?

orionz06
07-18-2014, 02:31 PM
I actually have 4 unspoken for on the bench.

Savage Hands
07-18-2014, 03:15 PM
I actually have 4 unspoken for on the bench.

Shoooot, do you have pics? If I can actually obtain a 42 soon then I'll order one.

Shellback
07-18-2014, 06:35 PM
Update - I've been utilizing this holster a lot during the summer and am very happy with the results. I'm in board shorts a lot with the kids and the pool and it's super handy for running out to the store or other errands.

orionz06
07-18-2014, 07:48 PM
Shoooot, do you have pics? If I can actually obtain a 42 soon then I'll order one.

Stole these from Facebook via Cecil Burch:
http://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10522092_10152644852323755_6929564534648628195_n.j pg?oh=7adf3644fe1fea811bcd7c511e1273a3&oe=544E3D2F&__gda__=1413750841_3666fbe91bb800f57d2066ee5d2e736 0

http://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10402059_10152644852373755_2949357913308815404_n.j pg

Savage Hands
07-18-2014, 08:25 PM
Nice! Now I need a G42 to come in.

willowofwisp
07-19-2014, 02:24 AM
How can I order one for a 42 off the bench!

orionz06
07-19-2014, 05:40 AM
Email or owlpost.

MGW
07-22-2014, 05:23 PM
I want one for a Shield. Neon green at that. Possibly for a J frame also.

orionz06
07-22-2014, 05:41 PM
The kydex dungeon contains such technology. It will be a week or three, I don't have any shells for those colors pressed at this time and really need to get out from under this mountain of AIWB's already.

Cecil Burch
07-23-2014, 11:04 AM
I meant to post those pics here myself dude. Sorry I forgot.

orionz06
07-23-2014, 12:20 PM
No worries. What I should really do is get on the official DSG photographer to take pics.

SpyderMan2k4
07-23-2014, 07:37 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/24/ne9yputu.jpg

I just got this yesterday for the CM9. Definitely the best clip of any holster I've tried. My new workplace has been very vocal about not having any weapons of any kind, however the "dress code" is very casual (I wear shorts and an t-shirt daily). Considering I'm on the road most of the day, I'm not gonna go unarmed, but the G17 was too much for a NPE.

I was pocket carrying the CM9, but not all of my shorts pockets were deep enough to conceal it to my liking (there's a chance the grip could be seen in the pocket from the right angle). The holster is so low profile, not to mention blazing fast, that I will be hard pressed to find a reason to pocket carry again.

Dropkick
07-23-2014, 09:54 PM
No worries. What I should really do is get on the official DSG photographer to take pics.

Yeah, I heard that guy is lazy as kittens. :p

MSparks909
07-24-2014, 10:47 AM
PM sent regarding G42 holsters.

punkey71
07-27-2014, 08:23 AM
Just opened my DSG casual AIWB for my j frame. It is truly amazing. Retention, ride height, clip....all perfect. I have tried some cheaper KYDEX offerings for the role this holster fills and there is no comparison. Granted, the other holsters were less than half the cost and we're not portrayed as a AIWB exclusive design. They were great for what they were but no where near as nice as the DSG offering.

Out and about I carry a G19 AIWB but for laying around the house or in the yard with the kids this thing is a winner. Like Irish, I'm wearing it with shorts but mine are just elastic waist band. It doesn't pull the shorts down at all (perhaps due to how close to the body it holds the gun - friction?) and the clip stays put on the shorts when I draw. When drawing the holster does flip out and over the waistband but does stay attached to the shorts. Again, no draw string with mine...JUST elastic waistband. With a drawstring I would assume the holster would maintain correct orientation.

I have absolutely zero excuses for not having this holster on me whenever I want.

Overall I'm very pleased and find it well worth the price and wait.

Harold

LittleLebowski
07-27-2014, 08:32 AM
Just opened my DSG casual AIWB for my j frame. It is truly amazing. Retention, ride height, clip....all perfect. I have tried some cheaper KYDEX offerings for the role this holster fills and there is no comparison. Granted, the other holsters were less than half the cost and we're not portrayed as a AIWB exclusive design. They were great for what they were but no where near as nice as the DSG offering.

Out and about I carry a G19 AIWB but for laying around the house or in the yard with the kids this thing is a winner. Like Irish, I'm wearing it with shorts but mine are just elastic waist band. It doesn't pull the shorts down at all (perhaps due to how close to the body it holds the gun - friction?) and the clip stays put on the shorts when I draw. When drawing the holster does flip out and over the waistband but does stay attached to the shorts. Again, no draw string with mine...JUST elastic waistband. With a drawstring I would assume the holster would maintain correct orientation.

I have absolutely zero excuses for not having this holster on me whenever I want.

Overall I'm very pleased and find it well worth the price and wait.

Harold

I keep hearing the same things about the DSG AIWB for J-frames.... You guys are trying to talk me into a J-frame....

punkey71
07-27-2014, 08:36 AM
They pop up on VAGT for sub $400 all the time...just do it. :-)

mtnbkr
08-25-2014, 10:13 PM
How comfortable are these with a j-frame for sitting? What about in the car?

How about jogging (that might be worth a thread by itself)?

Apologies if this has been covered in other AIWB threads, I'm about cross-eyed from all the thread crawling I've been doing tonight. I'm looking for an improvement over my normal pocket or less frequently utilized OWB carry methods.

Chris

Shellback
08-25-2014, 11:06 PM
How comfortable are these with a j-frame for sitting? What about in the car?

How about jogging (that might be worth a thread by itself)?

I find that I have to wear the holster slightly more towards my centerline versus a standard AIWB holster (DSG, JM, etc.) in order to make it comfortable. Otherwise, due to it's shape and my anatomy, it gets me in the right thigh. But, it's very comfortable when positioned properly and I would definitely recommend it if you need a holster to fill that niche. Same thing applies in the car as far as comfort.

I don't jog so I can't help you there. :)

mtnbkr
08-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Thanks!

I think I'll give one a try.

Chris

MGW
08-26-2014, 01:14 PM
I ordered one of these for a Shield and ended up buying one for a J frame off another forum. I really like the j frame in this. I need to tweak the retention a little as it's a little to tight for my liking. The idea is to be able to wear it when I'm not using a belt. Drawing it now without a belt equals atomic wedgie type results.

Unfortunately I don't think the Shield is going to work for me in this. It's very comfortable and the draw is very fast. My body wants to roll the grip out though. This isn't a fault of the holster just another example of how individualized appendix carry is.

luckyman
08-26-2014, 02:00 PM
Unfortunately I don't think the Shield is going to work for me in this. It's very comfortable and the draw is very fast. My body wants to roll the grip out though. This isn't a fault of the holster just another example of how individualized appendix carry is.

Yep, definitely individual. I just got my Shield version in the mail yesterday. I actually have to run it a little more outboard than normal to avoid printing. But once I made that adjustment, it so far seems perfect!

orionz06
08-26-2014, 05:57 PM
A distinction I would like to make is that the clip-on/casual carry holster is a straight drop IWB. I hate the trend of calling a foldover/taco holster that is vertical an AIWB holster. This particular holster happens to work for most people in the appendix position but differs from my AIWB with a built up wedge.

The clip doesn't quite work well with my wedge, yet. With the wedge comes more rollover, or the feeling of, which is why I extend the small auto AIWB's to approximately G19 length. The straight drop clip-on holster does however work quite well in the appendix position. Keeping the holster thin and using a secure attachment avoids the need for extra length to prevent the rollover. With all things it is a compromise and if something doesn't work just speak up and I'll do my best to get ya squared away.

MGW
08-26-2014, 09:44 PM
I've been thinking about my last post all day and feel bad about it. I feel even worse after reading the above post. I ordered this holster and orizon got it out extremely quickly in my opinion. The quality of the holster is outstanding and it does exactly what it is supposed to do. It works for me at 3 o'clock or behind the hip. I ordered it to try as a thin AIWB holster but didn't work for my body type. I didn't contact Orizon about it because I have no intentions of returning it.

Orizon built an AIWB for an XDS last year for me. I believe it was the first one he built for an XDs and he went to a LOT of work trying to get it perfect before he sent it out. I sold the XDs to a friend and my dad is now using that holster. It's outstanding.

I will definitely be ordering holster from him in the future.

Shellback
08-26-2014, 10:03 PM
A distinction I would like to make is that the clip-on/casual carry holster is a straight drop IWB. I hate the trend of calling a foldover/taco holster that is vertical an AIWB holster. This particular holster happens to work for most people in the appendix position but differs from my AIWB with a built up wedge.

Probably my fault since I titled the thread AIWB, and I use it that way, sorry!

orionz06
08-26-2014, 10:09 PM
Probably my fault since I titled the thread AIWB, and I use it that way, sorry!

No worries, that's how most folks use them anyway. I do need to tweak my wording a little on the website.

Shellback
08-26-2014, 10:10 PM
No worries, that's how most folks use them anyway. I do need to tweak my working a little on the website.

Say what? :)

Savage Hands
08-27-2014, 10:05 AM
Pics of one for the Glock 42 yet? I'm finally picking mine up next week but can't add it to my ccw until the end of the year.

Keebsley
08-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Just have to add my two cents in. I have one for a Shield and it works great for AIWB in everything from workout shorts to sweat pants for me. In regular pants with a belt it works just as well. I've thought about adding some type of wedge at the bottom of the holster to push and tuck the butt of the gun in as it prints slightly but haven't gotten around to it as it does its job well enough to not have to bother. The only time that I experience it wanting to roll over is if I wear it with lighter weight materials such as the workout shorts as the waistband wants to roll. But with a stiffer material like regular pants, the roll isn't experienced. Tempted to buy another for the wife's j-frame because it's that good.

luckyman
08-27-2014, 12:00 PM
I've been thinking about my last post all day and feel bad about it. I feel even worse after reading the above post. .

I don't know why you should feel bad. You were polite, well intentioned, and were providing potentially useful information.

NickDrak
08-27-2014, 08:57 PM
Got mine for my G42 a couple of weeks back. This is the best small pistol clip-on IWB/AIWB holster I have ever tried. The only thing I'm not happy about is that while I originally only planned to carry the G42/DSG rig as a going to the beach/workout gun, it is so comfortable and minimalist that I have been having a hard time resisting the urge to carry only the G42 in it ALL the time instead of my usual daily G19/AIWB rig.

The clip absolutely rules.

Savage Hands
08-27-2014, 10:43 PM
Got mine for my G42 a couple of weeks back. This is the best small pistol clip-on IWB/AIWB holster I have ever tried. The only thing I'm not happy about is that while I originally only planned to carry the G42/DSG rig as a going to the beach/workout gun, it is so comfortable and minimalist that I have been having a hard time resisting the urge to carry only the G42 in it ALL the time instead of my usual daily G19/AIWB rig.

The clip absolutely rules.

Can a Brotha get a pic? :cool:

NickDrak
08-29-2014, 12:33 AM
Yup.
Can a Brotha get a pic? :cool:

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b497/Nick_Drakulich/DSG1_zpsf374c592.jpg

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b497/Nick_Drakulich/DSG2_zpse84122ea.jpg

Savage Hands
08-29-2014, 12:44 AM
Yup.

Sold! Thanks Nick!

orionz06
08-29-2014, 06:19 AM
Yup.

Awesome. Not that I am lazy or anything but decent pics of these just keep getting bumped down my list.

On the clip... Have you found the little bit of adjustment I put in there or did it shift a bit?

Chuck Haggard
08-29-2014, 06:48 AM
That's not a tuckable clip is it?

orionz06
08-29-2014, 06:53 AM

It is positioned such that if one where to attempt to tuck it they could stuff some shirt behind it. One or two people already have but I'm just a tuckable hater. I have a few irons in that fire and a solution that sucks less is about as good as it will get.

Cecil Burch
08-29-2014, 01:01 PM

You can kind of tuck it. There is enough space to fold some cloth around. I would not call it "tuckable" but it is close enough for most things.

Chuck Haggard
08-30-2014, 10:12 AM
The wife bought a kydex holster from the falsh-bang folks, that version of the clip IWB holster has a crappy clip that is set up to be tuckable, sits way to far from the body of the holster itself. I think flush against the holster is the best bet. Was just curios and couldn't remember from my quick look while at Paul-E

Trajan
08-30-2014, 12:23 PM
The wife bought a kydex holster from the falsh-bang folks, that version of the clip IWB holster has a crappy clip that is set up to be tuckable, sits way to far from the body of the holster itself. I think flush against the holster is the best bet. Was just curios and couldn't remember from my quick look while at Paul-E

It does have a tucking feature.

I got my mom one of these for her 642. She doesn't wear belts, so I figured this would be perfect for her. I of course tested it out for her. Keeps the grip tucked, draw is lightening fast, works with gym and no-gi shorts. I don't know what more you could want from a small gun holster.

My mom wears it strong side. I was using it AIWB.

The clips are great too. Got a CP sheath using one of these clips. You could theoretically always have a CP on you if you're wearing at least boxers.

DSG hit it out of the park with these IMHO.

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x447/OptimusTrajan/IMG_1499.jpg

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x447/OptimusTrajan/IMG_1500.jpg

Elbowtko
09-17-2014, 12:37 AM
Would something of a g19 size gun work with this type of clip well?

JV_
09-17-2014, 05:35 AM
IME: Guns as large as a Glock 19 tend to need the grip tucked in to prevent printing. I don't' find that's easily achieved with a simple clip, it often needs wider spaced loops, or one solid loop. I prefer one solid loop.

orionz06
09-17-2014, 06:58 AM
Pretty much what JV said. The recent trend has been for people to make single loop vertical IWB holsters and that has skewed what an appendix holster is. The G19 though may be borderline. The smaller guns do happen to work for most without a wedge.

If you eased up on the concealment needs it may be fine but then you have a belt requirement that dictates what pants to wear. I have a product to help there but it's not finalized.

JHC
09-17-2014, 07:12 AM
FIST does it pretty well for a G19 and a single clip (fishhook thing inside the clip) with their #1K straight drop option. I think their angle is that they seat the semiauto pistol deeper than many so the need for additional engineering engineering or loops to tuck the butt in per se is unnecessary in my experience of using them for quite a few years.

And I've been reading for years of course that without a full grip available on the pistol the holster is defective but my personal SME-ness carrying this way for many more years indicates that is not necessarily so. I've shot as good of timed drills with deeper riding AIWB and IWB as I have with OWB, yet the deeper sitting pistol is concealed better. YMMV

Edit: Not trying to be a dick mentioning another brand, only to mention design points around single loops or single clips and the topic of ride height.

JV_
09-17-2014, 07:21 AM
I've shot as good of timed drills with deeper riding AIWB and IWB as I have with OWB, yet the deeper sitting pistol is concealed better. YMMV

Your experience is counter to mine. I find that hitting my knuckles on my belt, when I practice my draw, does slow me down. Not only does it slow me down, but after 100 draws it gets quite irritating. I strongly prefer a higher ride height.

Body type probably plays a big role.

Smash
09-17-2014, 08:06 AM
if you're wearing at least boxers.

Not an option

orionz06
09-17-2014, 08:30 AM
FIST does it pretty well for a G19 and a single clip (fishhook thing inside the clip) with their #1K straight drop option. I think their angle is that they seat the semiauto pistol deeper than many so the need for additional engineering engineering or loops to tuck the butt in per se is unnecessary in my experience of using them for quite a few years.

And I've been reading for years of course that without a full grip available on the pistol the holster is defective but my personal SME-ness carrying this way for many more years indicates that is not necessarily so. I've shot as good of timed drills with deeper riding AIWB and IWB as I have with OWB, yet the deeper sitting pistol is concealed better. YMMV

Edit: Not trying to be a dick mentioning another brand, only to mention design points around single loops or single clips and the topic of ride height.

Shoot me an email. I'll get one out to you if you can do a comparison for me.

Won't be soon but it's an easier way to see what's what.

Elbowtko
09-19-2014, 12:58 PM
Pretty much what JV said. The recent trend has been for people to make single loop vertical IWB holsters and that has skewed what an appendix holster is. The G19 though may be borderline. The smaller guns do happen to work for most without a wedge.

If you eased up on the concealment needs it may be fine but then you have a belt requirement that dictates what pants to wear. I have a product to help there but it's not finalized.

So it seems like the solution for it to work with heavier pistol is to go with a lower ride height like fist but I'm not too keen on that. Whatdo you have in the works that will allow for a g19 to go beltless? Two clips?

luckyman
09-19-2014, 02:23 PM
So it seems like the solution for it to work with heavier pistol is to go with a lower ride height like fist but I'm not too keen on that. Whatdo you have in the works that will allow for a g19 to go beltless? Two clips?

My personal solution to this was "buy a Shield". :cool:

I don't want to have to tighten my drawstrings down enough so that the shorts themselves aren't an issue with a heavier pistol moving around. There comes a point when it makes more sense to just put on a belt. Plus, my overall dress when I'm not wearing a belt mean I'm likely to print with a G19 anyway.

Chuck Haggard
09-19-2014, 10:38 PM
I'll try to get some pics posted, but my new DSG clip holster for my G42 is the shizzle. It's my new lounge around gun/holster combo for when I am in gym shorts or sweat pants.

Elbowtko
09-19-2014, 11:26 PM
My personal solution to this was "buy a Shield". :cool:

I don't want to have to tighten my drawstrings down enough so that the shorts themselves aren't an issue with a heavier pistol moving around. There comes a point when it makes more sense to just put on a belt. Plus, my overall dress when I'm not wearing a belt mean I'm likely to print with a G19 anyway.

I like to not have two holsters if there is a solution out there. Generally speaking if I'm not wearing a belt, I might be in baggy clothes such as sweat pants which warrants a clip, however when it comes time to head out. I'd like not to switch into a whole different holster.

luckyman
09-20-2014, 12:03 AM
. . .Generally speaking if I'm not wearing a belt, I might be in baggy clothes such as sweat pants which warrants a clip . . ..

Hah! Can you tell I live in SoCal now ?

Sweatpants ? What are those??? Is that something connected with temperature below 70 degrees?

willowofwisp
09-20-2014, 07:06 AM
My glock 42 model is out for delivery now!

MD7305
09-20-2014, 08:00 AM
How well might this set up work with khakis and a tucked dress shirt? I'm thinking the clip could go behind your belt and the holster appears to allow some tucking of theshirt around it. My application would be a j-frame. Orion, do you think the casual carry or AIWB-specific j-frame holster be better of this sort of application?

orionz06
09-20-2014, 08:31 AM
It's doable, there is about 2" to stuff the shirt into. If a tuckable model was needed I could probably make a different mounting option that uses velcro.

willowofwisp
09-20-2014, 09:08 PM
This will now be accompanying me on my runs a long with my strider HAK.

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3848/15116889580_076dd3365c_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/p2Q1Bf)IMG_2881 (https://flic.kr/p/p2Q1Bf) by SiDave (https://www.flickr.com/people/53409939@N06/), on Flickr

Savage Hands
09-20-2014, 11:41 PM
I like it in that red, I'll probably get boring Black though.

Hizzie
09-21-2014, 10:51 PM
Looks like a great carry solution. I prefer the Ruger SP101 for Snubby duty these days. Don't see it listed.

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Revolvers/1406822184_zps36bd6811.jpg (http://s984.photobucket.com/user/strangler366/media/Revolvers/1406822184_zps36bd6811.jpg.html)

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Revolvers/1406822182_zps29941509.jpg (http://s984.photobucket.com/user/strangler366/media/Revolvers/1406822182_zps29941509.jpg.html)

orionz06
09-21-2014, 11:03 PM
Looks like a great carry solution. I prefer the Ruger SP101 for Snubby duty these days. Don't see it listed.

[img]http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Revolvers/1406822184_zps36bd6811.jpg[/i mg] (http://s984.photobucket.com/user/strangler366/media/Revolvers/1406822184_zps36bd6811.jpg.html)

[img]http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Revolvers/1406822182_zps29941509.jpg[/im g] (http://s984.photobucket.com/user/strangler366/media/Revolvers/1406822182_zps29941509.jpg.html)

It can be...

Hizzie
09-30-2014, 02:05 PM
It can be...

Email sent.

Hizzie
05-18-2015, 01:03 AM
Necro post but I've been very pleased with my DSG holster. Wrote it up for MSW. Linky---> http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=14998

http://i984.photobucket.com/albums/ae322/strangler366/Revolvers/1431928545_zpsd0eebf33.jpg (http://s984.photobucket.com/user/strangler366/media/Revolvers/1431928545_zpsd0eebf33.jpg.html)

Bluedog
07-24-2015, 03:54 PM
New LemonHead holster arrived.

http://i59.tinypic.com/2drdk7c.jpg

Thanks Tom!

orionz06
07-24-2015, 04:08 PM
Enjoy.

http://i.imgur.com/w0pyNI6h.jpg

Irelander
07-31-2015, 01:49 PM
Just got my Lemonhead holster too.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47624012/DSG%20Holster.JPG

An elongated Walther PPS holster. Thanks Tom!

JHC
08-10-2015, 08:23 AM
Just got my Lemonhead holster too.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/47624012/DSG%20Holster.JPG

An elongated Walther PPS holster. Thanks Tom!

I just took delivery of a zombie green Lemonhead for G17/22 sizes and smaller.

I worked it out pretty well in 2" dot drills and 3 FAST from under a T shirt.
FAST
5.66 clean
5.62 clean
6.64 dropped 1 on the 8" target and failed slide lock/had to react and rack the slide in the reload.

It is the most comfortable full coverage AIWB holster here (FIST and JM). It carries a little higher than I'm used to which made it quick and sure. My own verdict still out on concealment comparos, it will surely be great with a LOT of attire, but I'll be putting it head to head with a couple of others at some point.

I think the slim profile is outstanding for comfort.

orionz06
08-10-2015, 09:28 AM
Distinction: what JHC has isn't necessarily an AIWB but rather a straight drop IWB.

Should be able to drop the ride height with the other set of holes or new ones.

JHC
08-10-2015, 10:03 AM
Distinction: what JHC has isn't necessarily an AIWB but rather a straight drop IWB.

Should be able to drop the ride height with the other set of holes or new ones.

There was a box of lemonheads in the holster. ??? ;)

Cool. I thought for a minute that using the lower holes would raise it. I may be dyslexic for spatial relationships.

orionz06
08-10-2015, 10:13 AM
Nope, you're right, they'll raise it. A set of holes above the current ones will drop it. The block has room both ways. A 1/4" bit should do.

JHC
08-10-2015, 11:24 AM
Nope, you're right, they'll raise it. A set of holes above the current ones will drop it. The block has room both ways. A 1/4" bit should do.

OK, no rush, I need to work it harder. The design is elegant in it's simplicity and form factor. I wish I'd gotten the modest "sweat guard" on some of my other brand holsters like this one has. Not for sweat but for some of the sharp rear sight edges. Nice.

newyork
08-11-2015, 09:02 AM
Been using mine a lot lately for my 642. I am going to the range this Friday to try out draws from concealment. Had mine awhile but just started using it. I'm loving it. Very comfortable and well hidden.

Trajan
09-12-2015, 08:15 PM
Used the G17 version of this holster today with my chopped G17 with gi pants on. I didn't go running or jumping in them, but wearing it around I had no issues. Pretty neat. Didn't think you could go belt less on a full sized gun.

JHC
10-31-2015, 12:07 PM
I've now concluded that this Lemonhead, although conceived for IWB straight drop, it the most comfortable AIWB holster I've used for a Glock pistol.

It carries just a skosh high vs my FIST or VG2 for max concealment but it conceals very well still and it very comfortable and quick. I shot a 5.43 clean FAST this morning from it, carried under an REI vest.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/22020210424/in/dateposted-public/

Dark Star Gear
10-31-2015, 12:14 PM
I've now concluded that this Lemonhead, although conceived for IWB straight drop, it the most comfortable AIWB holster I've used for a Glock pistol.

It carries just a skosh high vs my FIST or VG2 for max concealment but it conceals very well still and it very comfortable and quick. I shot a 5.43 clean FAST this morning from it, carried under an REI vest.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/22020210424/in/dateposted-public/

Excellent! I have a little attachment coming that you'll have to try.

JHC
10-31-2015, 12:22 PM
Excellent! I have a little attachment coming that you'll have to try.

I considered drilling higher holes but the current holes are on that "raised" section and higher they drop to the lower holster body and I'm afraid it'll throw something out of wack.