PDA

View Full Version : Jackets and Coats

Sparks2112
10-01-2013, 10:00 PM
I'm looking for a good 3 season jacket/coat that will be suitable for most activities in the Ohio/Kentucky area. I've already got a Parka for COLD weather duty. So, what's everyone like? I'd like to stay under $300, have it look as good as it's able to on my fat dude body, and be relatively AIWB friendly. Also, the more storage pockets the better. Thoughts?

SeriousStudent
10-01-2013, 10:55 PM
Are you planning on using this as part of a layering system? To wit, a top water-repellant/resistant layer, with a separate fleece or insulating layer under it?

Or just a single garment?

Sparks2112
10-02-2013, 06:30 AM
Are you planning on using this as part of a layering system? To wit, a top water-repellant/resistant layer, with a separate fleece or insulating layer under it?

Or just a single garment?

I'll probably wear a fleece under it when it's really cold, etc...

SouthNarc
10-02-2013, 07:32 AM
I like stuff from Barbour.

TCinVA
10-02-2013, 10:00 AM
I've got a TNF soft-shell that works great for most weather wear. It's long enough to easily cover the waist even if you lift your arms, but short enough that you can pull it up to get an AIWB draw. Loose enough to allow layering underneath, but still with an athletic enough fit that you can still do pretty much anything you want.

It's a good looking jacket and works beautifully as yuppie camouflage.

It isn't good for wear in super cold, wet weather...water resistant, not water proof...but apart from that it's fine.

Doesn't have a lot of pockets, just two on the sides and a neoprene chest pocket that works great for a phone, but I don't find that I use the pockets that much. Occasionally I toss in my car key or a Ruger LCP and that's it.

I have an insulated parka that has a waterproof shell for when it gets really cold or when it gets wet and snowy like it did earlier this year.

There's almost always a decent deal to be had on previous year's styles, so you should be able to pick something up for well under $300. If you want dead bird you should be able to snag something really nice for just under $300.

Erik
10-02-2013, 12:54 PM
Take a look at Scottevest (http://www.scottevest.com/) The jackets look kind of gimmicky, but the pockets are actually quite well thought out and the quality is good, based on my sample of one. I bought one of their jackets last year for a trip to England in November and have been very happy with it. The one I bought is water proof, has a hood that stows in the collar and is perfectly comfortable at least into the mid 30s low 40s with a fleece and in warmer weather without. Others are made for colder weather. They have some that are designed around concealed carry, but I have no direct experience with those. They run sales pretty regularly and it looks like they run daily specials. In fact, I am kind of tempted to buy their expedition jacket, which is on sale today.

ETA: The weight distribution feature seemed to work really well. I was able to carry a ton of stuff in the pockets of the jacket I got (I believe it's the "Revolution" jacket), and it didn't distort, bulge, hang funny, etc.

Vinh
10-02-2013, 03:25 PM
TCinVA, I wonder if we have the same jacket? I have a TNF Apex Bionic soft shell that I've been using as my winter coat. Not too much room for layering, so just a polo shirt underneath. The short length is good for AIWB when zipped. Not much warmth to be found (if any), but that was a conscious sacrifice I made.

I would definitely prefer something warmer during the winter, like the TNF Thermal Plasma (discontinued). Lightweight, warm, and acceptable draw. By the time I get around to thinking about it, the season ends.

JHC
10-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Three season in Ohio? I have never known anything better than the Arcteryx Atom LT which is easy to find for under $200. It is remarkably tolerant of temps in the 40's and even to 50 if you're not exerting a ton but good for pretty darn cold temps. If you throw a water proof shell over it on the wetter or colder days and you'll be good for almost anything OH throws at you.

They are sized tight. I wear a lot of medium garments with occasional large but the large Atom LT makes AIWB fine for me. If I got a medium it might have been a problem.

JSGlock34
10-02-2013, 08:13 PM
My TAD Gear Stealth Hoodie (http://store.tripleaughtdesign.com//Apparel/Sweaters-Hoodies/Stealth-Hoodie) is my favorite jacket. Mine is black and sans the velcro for arm patches, resulting in a very low profile jacket. I wish all my jackets had the TAD's array of pockets. However, I bought mine several years back when prices were more reasonable, and as much as I like and use the Stealth, $359 is pushing it and the unlined LT version is even more expensive.

I agree with those that have posted on The North Face Apex Bionic. Probably the best value in a soft-shell out there - mine still gets a lot of use.

SeriousStudent
10-02-2013, 08:21 PM
I'll probably wear a fleece under it when it's really cold, etc...

If you are planning on layering with a fleece, I'm a fan of the Mountain Hardwear systems. The quality is quite good, and they have a lot of small amenities that make them very comfy.

Perfect for woods tramping, or a pub crawl on Bardstown Road.

KevH
10-02-2013, 09:03 PM
Marmot and Arc'teryx

I've pretty much lost interest in most other coat/jacket/fleece folks.

TGS
10-02-2013, 09:09 PM
I try to embrace the gray man concept and blend in with the natives, so it's a ratty old field jacket and cardboard box for me.

Sparks2112
10-02-2013, 09:33 PM
If you are planning on layering with a fleece, I'm a fan of the Mountain Hardwear systems. The quality is quite good, and they have a lot of small amenities that make them very comfy.

Perfect for woods tramping, or a pub crawl on Bardstown Road.

You've spent time in Louisville I see... :)

LOKNLOD
10-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Agreed on the TAD jackets. I have an older stealth hoodie (the dark brown one) and the only thing I don't like about it is it is from before they offered them without the Velcro on the arm.

Last year I picked up one of their Ranger LTs and it's a great piece too. Absent the waterproofness of the stealth, it's super versatile. It layers under the stealth pretty well too which is a great combo.

Only drawback is the price. If I felt any more like a toolbag wearing around nearly $500 worth of jackets, it would need a "Dewalt" patch.

SeriousStudent
10-02-2013, 10:18 PM
You've spent time in Louisville I see... :)

We lived in St Matthews for a bit, then became tax exiles and moved across the river to New Albany.

It was nice to start at the top of Bardstown Road, and stumble one's way to the bottom. It taught me to appreciate both good Bourbon and coordination.

Dagga Boy
10-03-2013, 07:28 AM
I pretty much dress out of the Duluth Trading Company catalog. I wore a bunch of it when working protection details (so the bad guys would shoot the guys in the 5.11 catalog, and leave the landscaping foreman alone;)). I have spent 8 to 10 hours standing outside in rain and coldish (30's) conditions and stayed dry and warm in Duluth gear. It is sized for "full-size" people vs. children's/Southnarc sizes, and you can get stuff in Long/Tall sizes that helps with concealment.

YVK
10-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Marmot and Arc'teryx

I've pretty much lost interest in most other coat/jacket/fleece folks.

I lost interest in all but the latter choice. I am amazed at the range of weather that gets covered by my Alpha LT and Bravo jackets combo.

Byron
10-03-2013, 08:32 AM
My TAD Gear Stealth Hoodie (http://store.tripleaughtdesign.com//Apparel/Sweaters-Hoodies/Stealth-Hoodie) is my favorite jacket. Mine is black and sans the velcro for arm patches, resulting in a very low profile jacket. I wish all my jackets had the TAD's array of pockets. However, I bought mine several years back when prices were more reasonable, and as much as I like and use the Stealth, $359 is pushing it and the unlined LT version is even more expensive.
HOLY CRAP!

I too love my Stealth Hoodie and agree that the pocket array is fantastic.

On top of that, I've never found an item that fit me so well, and allowed such a range of motion. At the very least, I wish my other jackets had sleeves as long as on the Stealth Hoodie.

But they're asking $359 these days?!?!?! Ouch.
I bought mine in 2009 for $259, and looking at their website, I can't find any differences between what I bought and what they're currently offering.

Even when I bought it for $259, it was a bitter pill to swallow. But I've been using the hell out of it for 4 years now, and it's still in great shape. Without layers, it's great for any cool weather requirements beyond a t-shirt, especially since you can open the pit-zips. I still wear it even in the coldest of weather: I just add layers underneath. It has even become my outer garment of choice for downhill skiing:

http://byrong.com/20120210-Breck/slides/DSC_4987.JPG

TORCH2J
10-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Mountain Hardwear is certainly worth a look. I have a GTX Paclite shell from them that I've had for several years now and it's finally showing some wear on my hip on the inside where the grip of my G19 started rubbing against it and the seatbelt from a couple of long days in the car.

MGW
10-03-2013, 08:41 PM
I pretty much dress out of the Duluth Trading Company catalog. I wore a bunch of it when working protection details (so the bad guys would shoot the guys in the 5.11 catalog, and leave the landscaping foreman alone;)). I have spent 8 to 10 hours standing outside in rain and coldish (30's) conditions and stayed dry and warm in Duluth gear. It is sized for "full-size" people vs. children's/Southnarc sizes, and you can get stuff in Long/Tall sizes that helps with concealment.

So what's your favorite stuff from Duluth? I haven't bought anything from there in awhile because the few items I bought seemed to be overpriced and overblown for what I received. They weren't bad or total let downs in anyway. Maybe just over copywrited? I still have one of their zip up fleece jackets that I wear before it gets really cold.

I don't mean that in a negative way toward you and I don't doubt your experience. Genuinely curious.

Dagga Boy
10-03-2013, 09:27 PM
So what's your favorite stuff from Duluth? I haven't bought anything from there in awhile because the few items I bought seemed to be overpriced and overblown for what I received. They weren't bad or total let downs in anyway. Maybe just over copywrited? I still have one of their zip up fleece jackets that I wear before it gets really cold.

I don't mean that in a negative way toward you and I don't doubt your experience. Genuinely curious.

The key to Duluth......always shop the sales. I don't think I have ever bought more than a couple of items not on sale. I have a chore coat that I lived in, and had a custom made pocket holster for it to carry a HK P7 in the right front pocket so I could just approach people with my hands in my pockets and be very non-threatening. Some of the fleece lined fire hose stuff that is treated to totally repel water has worked great. A lot of their fleece and warm stuff worn under the high performance outer wear also works well. I have some North Face and Arcteryx stuff that is worn over the Duluth bases that also works well.

THe only big issue I found with the Firehose pants that I live in is that they get soaked and heavy when wet. With that said, wearing some lightweight waterproof covers over them works great.