PDA

View Full Version : Spare parts.

JDM
05-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Platform change is complete. I've got 2 9mm M&Ps, identical copies, one that I shoot and train with, and one that I carry.

What spare parts should I have on hand, in the range bag. Obviously if something major fails, I'd just switch pistols, but if it's a minor part, I'd like to have the replacement with me.

Thanks.

ToddG
05-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Recoil spring assembly.
Trigger spring.

If you're left handed or regularly practice using the slide release lever on the right side of the gun, keep a spare one nearby.

Striker and extractor if you don't mind spending the money.

It's never a bad idea to keep a little bag with a set of all the springs in it. Most will probably never get used, but it's cheap insurance and no matter what anyone wants to tell you, springs break and sometimes they break at weird (early) times.

JDM
05-23-2011, 10:18 AM
It's never a bad idea to keep a little bag with a set of all the springs in it. Most will probably never get used, but it's cheap insurance and no matter what anyone wants to tell you, springs break and sometimes they break at weird (early) times.
Yes I remember this from the Hk45 test.

And why is it that the right side of the slide release lever always breaks?

JV_
05-23-2011, 10:35 AM
Before you spend the money on an extractor, make sure you can remove the extractor pin. On my primary M&P, I couldn't budge it ... keeping a spare on hand wasn't worth it.

And why is it that the right side of the slide release lever always breaks?

FWIW: Mine broke on the left side.

JDM
05-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Before you spend the money on an extractor, make sure you can remove the extractor pin. On my primary M&P, I couldn't budge it ... keeping a spare on hand wasn't worth it.

FWIW: Mine broke on the left side.

I would file a broken extractor under "major problem", and switch pistols.

Detail stripping of the slide is above my pay grade.