PDA

View Full Version : The Wind and The Lion

NETim
09-30-2013, 09:37 AM
In another thread I started this AM, we once again see our good friend Bill Mahar badmouthing the NRA and its members.

It started me thinking about enemies, and since TWTL is never far from my mind, I thought about the scene where TR discusses enemies, life and choices with his daughter.

I decided Maher is not a worthy enemy. :)

Since it is one of my life's missions to heap glory on Milius' great work, TWTL, here's a trailer.

If you haven't seen this film, you're missing out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=V0Jtr66c2UI

Chuck Haggard
09-30-2013, 09:51 AM
One of the great movies ever filmed, IMHO

Cecil Burch
09-30-2013, 11:25 AM
One of the great movies ever filmed, IMHO

Without a doubt.

Al T.
09-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Yup, got my copy. :)

SeriousStudent
09-30-2013, 06:52 PM
I do love that movie a great deal. I am torn, however, between "Wind and the Lion" or "The Man Who Would Be King" as my favorite Connery film.

I do love the speech Brian Keith gives, about the bear as a symbol of America. So very true.

LHS
09-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Wait, a Connery/Milius film, and I've never even heard of it? I must track down a copy, post-haste.

Bigguy
10-01-2013, 09:49 AM
Wait, a Connery/Milius film, and I've never even heard of it? I must track down a copy, post-haste.

I was thinking the same thing. I loves me some Connery. And Burgen ain't bad either.

Drang
10-01-2013, 08:23 PM
You've never heard of The Wind And The Lion? No kitten?
I feel faint. This is one of those deals where you don't know whether to pity the person for missing out on a seminal experience, or envy them because they get to experience it for the first time.

Theodore Roosevelt: The American grizzly is a symbol of the American character: strength, intelligence, ferocity. Maybe a little blind and reckless at times... but courageous beyond all doubt. And one other trait that goes with all previous.
2nd Reporter: And that, Mr. President?
Theodore Roosevelt: Loneliness. The American grizzly lives out his life alone. Indomitable, unconquered - but always alone. He has no real allies, only enemies, but none of them as great as he.
2nd Reporter: And you feel this might be an American trait?
Theodore Roosevelt: Certainly. The world will never love us. They respect us - they might even grow to fear us. But they will never love us, for we have too much audacity! And, we're a bit blind and reckless at times too.
2nd Reporter: Are you perhaps referring to the situation in Morocco and the Panama Canal.
Theodore Roosevelt: If you say so... The American grizzly embodies the spirit of America. He should be our symbol! Not that ridiculous eagle - he's nothing more than a dandified vulture.

Steve Kanaly as Captain Jerome, USMC, rocked.
Capt. Jerome, USMC: Captain Jerome, United States Marine Corps, and you are my prisoner, sir.
The Bashaw of Tangier: You are a very dangerous man, Captain, and your President Roosevelt is mad.
Capt. Jerome, USMC: (Sheathes sword) Yes, sir!

(Later) "No, ma'am, we'd like to throw in with you."
(Source of quotes (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073906/quotes))

SeriousStudent
10-01-2013, 08:36 PM
I do have to admit that as a former Misguided Child, I did enjoy the work of Captain Jerome in that scene.

MDS
10-01-2013, 08:46 PM

I, also.

Drang
10-01-2013, 09:17 PM
Amazon has it for $6.99 on DVD, $2.99 to rent or $8.99 to buy on Instant Download.

NETim
10-02-2013, 08:24 AM
I too envy those of you who have yet to see it. I first saw it many, many moons ago while still in the USN, probably about '79 or '80. I've watched it countless times since then and still enjoy it. This film has never received the acclaim it truly deserves.

There are so many memorable scenes. Raisuli riding down the outlaw riff-raff on the beach. The cannon duel. Raisuli's sword battle with the hawk faced German officer. TR's Sedgley Krag at the Yellowstone camp. The Japanese diplomat's speech at TR's birthday party.

The chess match:

R: Tell me, what rifle does this Roosevelt use?

P: A Winchester!

R: Winchester? Winchester?! I have no knowledge of this rifle.

P: You will.

But if pressed for a favorite, I'll go with the the final scene, TR, alone with his bear, reading Raisuli's note to him.

Great soundtrack too IMHO.

And Brian Keith is Theodore Roosevelt.