PDA

View Full Version : I got them budget birdshot blues...

Tamara
09-29-2013, 03:20 PM
So, you know, I'd read a lot of people kvetching about current-production Winchester Wally World budget shotshells and never really paid it much mind because, face it, if I didn't buy anything somebody had griped about on the internet, I'd starve to death naked in a cave.

I shoulda listened (http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2013/09/double-shotgun.html). I've had fine luck with the Federal and even Estate in this gun so far, but the Winchester Super Speed stopped it up like a month's worth of MREs.

Odin Bravo One
09-29-2013, 03:29 PM
\ but the Winchester Super Speed stopped it up like a month's worth of MREs.

Feed it a double Whopper with cheese............that will release the dam...........

Tamara
09-29-2013, 05:58 PM
Jesus wept, somebody in the comments section at my blog helpfully pointed out to me that the shell bases were steel.

LHS
09-29-2013, 11:36 PM
The last few lots of Wally World Winchester birdshot have done this in a few 870s in my experience. My 870P seems to be immune so far, but it's gummed up a few Expresses and a Mossy 930. One of the Expresses ripped right through the rim, and most of the rims showed deformation where the extractor was pulling on them. Junk shells, IMHO.

Chuck Haggard
09-30-2013, 10:14 AM
I've shot several hundred rounds of the Estate stuff through my 11-87, and watched hundreds more shot through hunting buddies' guns (my FIL buys that brand in copious amounts because he likes it for pheasant season), haven't seen a bad round yet.

Tamara
09-30-2013, 11:01 AM
I've shot several hundred rounds of the Estate stuff through my 11-87, and watched hundreds more shot through hunting buddies' guns (my FIL buys that brand in copious amounts because he likes it for pheasant season), haven't seen a bad round yet.

Estate has been 100% in this gun, too.

(Er, once I polished those burrs off the extractor, that is. :o But that wasn't the ammo's fault.)

ST911
09-30-2013, 11:52 AM
The Estate and the Federal run well here. The Estate has been able to edge out the Federal in pricing, too.

Al T.
09-30-2013, 06:28 PM
Snicker. Even Dan Watters didn't read the thread, dang.

Tamara
09-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Snicker. Even Dan Watters didn't read the thread, dang.

I know, right? I has a sad. :(

jkurtz7
12-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Jesus wept, somebody in the comments section at my blog helpfully pointed out to me that the shell bases were steel.

Tis the same with the budget Federals too, but the Feds are all I buy anymore, and I've not had any issues at all.

oldtexan
12-09-2013, 06:30 PM
So, you know, I'd read a lot of people kvetching about current-production Winchester Wally World budget shotshells and never really paid it much mind because, face it, if I didn't buy anything somebody had griped about on the internet, I'd starve to death naked in a cave.

I shoulda listened (http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2013/09/double-shotgun.html). I've had fine luck with the Federal and even Estate in this gun so far, but the Winchester Super Speed stopped it up like a month's worth of MREs.

I had extraction issues (significant sticky extraction and a few outright extraction failures) with a pair of 870 Expresses when shooting steel-head shotshells. Having my local smith use a hone on the chamber and bore on each gun fixed the problem. This also seemed to make chamber and bore cleaning much easier on both guns.