PDA

View Full Version : 9mm- Handloading for precision

SecondsCount
09-26-2013, 10:30 PM
Now that the weather is starting to cool off here and my indoor time will increase, I have been thinking about playing with 9mm loads to see how accurate I can get.

I have some 124 grain Precision Delta HP bullets as well as some 147 Hornady XTP's and a few other misc. bullets to try. Any suggestions?

1911Nut
09-26-2013, 11:47 PM
More information about which firearm(s) you intend to test would be helpful. Also:
Single stage or progressive press?
Powder available for use?

SecondsCount
09-27-2013, 09:13 AM
I will be doing the development on an HK P30 but I may also try a Springfield 9mm 1911.

Powders: Winchester WST, WSF, 231. Hodgdon Clays, Universal Clays, Titegroup. Ramshot Silhouette. Vit N320. Bullseye and Unique.

I also have a selection of small pistol primers from Winchester, CCI, Magtech, Tula, and Federal which includes magnum match and standard.

Presses are a Dillon 650 and a RCBS Rockchucker. Dies are Dillon carbide. I have a powder trickler although I don't know if that will be necessary.

secondstoryguy
09-27-2013, 10:35 AM
I've seen an increase in accuracy over my standard WWB and Federal range fodder using Montana Gold 124gr slugs(usually the HPs but sometimes the FMJs) over VV N320. This is with 3rd Gen Glocks and HK P30s. I load on a Dillon 550 and use standard CCI small primers.

JAD
09-27-2013, 11:01 AM
Coincidentally I am just taking advantage of new component availability to start a similar project, trying to come up with fodder for my G17. I would really prefer to be working with lead bullets -- the best 9 I've built has been with 125 LSWCs sized to 0.356" -- but I am not thrilled about the idea of getting a cut-rifled barrel just for practice. I will start with the projectile variable, since that usually has the most influence; I have a ton of MG 124 CMJs on the way, some Hornady HAPs, etc. I'd like to stay mostly in the 124 ballpark but will build some 147s just to validate the concept.

Until I'm proven wrong I will use tightgroup and WSPs. I will start with mixed brass. Once I establish first tier results I will validate mixed versus sorted brass. I may validate powders (HS6 is my historical best), but probably only if I'm frustrated.

JeffJ
09-27-2013, 02:24 PM
Coincidentally I am just taking advantage of new component availability to start a similar project, trying to come up with fodder for my G17. I would really prefer to be working with lead bullets -- the best 9 I've built has been with 125 LSWCs sized to 0.356" -- but I am not thrilled about the idea of getting a cut-rifled barrel just for practice. I will start with the projectile variable, since that usually has the most influence; I have a ton of MG 124 CMJs on the way, some Hornady HAPs, etc. I'd like to stay mostly in the 124 ballpark but will build some 147s just to validate the concept.

Until I'm proven wrong I will use tightgroup and WSPs. I will start with mixed brass. Once I establish first tier results I will validate mixed versus sorted brass. I may validate powders (HS6 is my historical best), but probably only if I'm frustrated.

Not to completely derail... but, at $165ish for a KKM, depending on your volume of shooting and the cost difference between bullets, the new barrel is a really good deal - Almost everyone (including me) reports better accuracy as well as being just a hair faster (really only matters to us gamers) - Mine was paid for in about 3 months worth of ammo

JAD
09-27-2013, 02:37 PM
Not to completely derail... but, at $165ish for a KKM, depending on your volume of shooting and the cost difference between bullets, the new barrel is a really good deal - Almost everyone (including me) reports better accuracy as well as being just a hair faster (really only matters to us gamers) - Mine was paid for in about 3 months worth of ammo
-- It's a carry gun that occasionally gets to the range, as opposed to a competition gun that gets carried, so I'd kind of rather keep it stock. Plus, I kind of dislike it and may eventually sell it, so I'd rather not invest.

JeffJ
09-27-2013, 02:38 PM
No biggie - just throwing it out there

BLR
09-27-2013, 07:12 PM
Now that the weather is starting to cool off here and my indoor time will increase, I have been thinking about playing with 9mm loads to see how accurate I can get.

I have some 124 grain Precision Delta HP bullets as well as some 147 Hornady XTP's and a few other misc. bullets to try. Any suggestions?

HAPs. The. Most. Accurate. Pistol. Bullet. Period.

Bar none.

Bullseye powder.

Federal primers.

The 147g bullets are the most accurate on average. The 124s sometimes achieve the smallest groups (and often in the 1100fps range).

Molon
09-27-2013, 08:21 PM
HAPs. The. Most. Accurate. Pistol. Bullet. Period.

This.

The 10-shot group pictured below was fired from a distance of 25 yards using 125 grain HAP bullets with Winchester Action Pistol powder at a nominal velocity of 1050 FPS. The group has an extreme spread of 0.413".

https://app.box.com/shared/static/q1fznfmm8c.jpg

SecondsCount
09-27-2013, 09:41 PM
I am going to assume that the above group was shot with a rifle?

Either that or someone owns a Sig P210.

BLR
09-28-2013, 08:12 PM
I've seen sub 1 in 50yrd groups out of 9mm 1911s from Chambers and Keefer.

Could have been a barrel test fixture.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

SPDGG
09-29-2013, 03:21 PM
imho:

A good baseline or maybe better put as the Benchmark for a Very Accurate 9mm Load is:
- Atlanta Arms 9MM 115GR XTP Match PPC

Comp. Minor PF; Heavy 9mm: WST, 231, Clays, Titegroup
^ Great powders for heavy bullets & making Minor

* N320
^ Great as well, probably a little better choice for an All Around Fast/Accurate powder [Pricey]

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Out of the ones you listed I'd give my vote to the slowest ones of the bunch for accuracy at distance, 25+ to 50yards :

Mid:
- WSF
- Universal Clays
-Unique

Slowest:
Silhouette

* * * Accuracy at distance most bullseye & ppc loads I have come across for 9mm use: Power Pistol, SR4756, HS-6
- Hornady XTP & HAP seem to be the winner
- These loads are HOT, repeat HOT . . . . at least compared to what most load for Minor PF.
- Custom PPC/NM 1911(s) & such are barreled with slower twist tubes: 1:32 Twist for 115 grain; Nothing really heavier

Majority seem to use:
- 115 XTP
- 121 HAP

^ Accuracy for the 9mm for PPC @ 50 yards seems to come from loads making MV of 1100-1200 fps with a 115.

LtDave
09-30-2013, 08:28 PM
I've had better luck accuracy wise with 115 and 147 bullets. As to powders, AA#5, Power Pistol and WSF have given excellent results in several guns with 147's. With 115's I also have had good results with Bullseye as well as the aforementioned powders. I have pretty much standardized on Winchester primers.

1986s4
10-02-2013, 09:50 AM
I normally don't load for extreme accuracy. But I have noticed good accuracy with the Zero 125gr. JFP and the Zero 125gr. JHP. The Montana Gold 121gr. IFP is supposed to be very accurate also but I have never tried any.

VV N320, 330 and 340 have been best for me accuracy wise.

1986s4