PDA

View Full Version : Budget sound for home entertainment?

Byron
09-26-2013, 09:11 AM
I'm looking for a simple, budget sound system that I can hook into my television.

I don't need:

Incredible audio quality (I'm not an audiophile)
Incredibly loud sound (the room just doesn't need it)
Anything fancy

I do need:

Better sound quality than the TV (this really shouldn't be hard, since the TV sounds like crap before you even hit 50% volume)
Digital optical input (toslink or whatever you prefer to call it) since my TV has output for that
At least three channels (Left, Right, Center)
Remote control (my previous budget system, which lasted me about 10 years, required me to walk over to the cabinet and hand-adjust)

Bass? Nice, but certainly not a priority. Again: the room is small.

Surround? Would be nice, but unless there are stupid-simple options for me (like wireless) I don't feel like going through the trouble of wiring the room. (And I suspect that wireless options will be way out of my budget)

So what is my budget? Yikes. I'm not even sure. My first thought is, "If I can't do this for less than $100, then I just won't do it." Is that completely unrealistic?

peterb
09-26-2013, 09:27 AM
My only recent experience was purchasing a Zvox Z-Base 220 for my mom's TV, in the hope of making speech easier for her to hear. Sound quality(clarity, imaging) was significantly improved. The problem was that the TV's internal speakers could not be turned off, and there was a slight "echo".

I'd think the simplest solution would be one of the low-end soundbars or soundbar + subwoofer combos.

Byron
09-26-2013, 10:17 AM
...The problem was that the TV's internal speakers could not be turned off, and there was a slight "echo"...
Thankfully my TV has the option to disable internal audio.

In looking around at soundbars, it would seem my budget just isn't realistic. Hmmm.......
Might have to move this idea into the "wedding registry" category rather than the "I want immediate gratification" category :(

BaiHu
09-26-2013, 10:31 AM
Byron,
What's your budget? You can definitely get a sound bar between $100-300 that should solve your problem. Perhaps even find a refurbished better one for under $100.

Byron
09-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Ideally, I would like to spend under $100

If that's unwise (i.e. I'd be buying junk), the number can come up some, but anything over $150 I just can't justify right now, and would have to put off for a later time. While waiting certainly isn't the worst thing in the world, I'm just at a point where I'm fed up with the audio I'm getting. I was able to tolerate it for a few months (after my system died), but it's driving me nuts now.

Browsing around Amazon, this caught my eye at $110 new:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-CSS2123B-F7-SoundBar-Speakers/dp/B007B5WHTE/
(There are also used and refurbished versions at slight discount)

It seems to offer what I'm looking for. Anyone see a "catch" to it? Any other brand/model recommendations from people? I don't care who makes it, so long as the thing works.

BaiHu
09-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Byron,
I saw that too and it has decent reviews. If you're not in a rush, you might find nicer and cheaper bars popping up as you get closer to black Friday.
That would be my balancing of immediate gratification and waiting a long time, but I don't think you'll go wrong with the Phillips.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

tremiles
09-26-2013, 03:00 PM
I just picked up a Polk IHT2000 soundbar at WalMart for ~$150 to use on my bedroom TV. It has a stereo 1/8" minijack input and an optical input. It comes with a remote but the IR sensor for the unit has a learning function so you can use your existing remote for power, mute, volume up/down. Although it doesn't come with a subwoofer, the bass is decent and not boomy at reasonable volume. I have it hooked up to my TV with a RCA to stereo 1/8" minijack cable. My TV has a setting to defeat the internal speakers. All in all, it's been perfect for what I'm using it for.

2 notes:

The optical input only decodes stereo, so if your source can't pass stereo over optical, you'll get not output.

There is a small pop when changing channels/powering on/un-muting on mine that I attribute to the signal my TV is putting out on the analog output.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Jay
09-26-2013, 06:40 PM
A few thoughts and questions from someone who designs, sells and installs residential AV systems.

Does the TV have an Analog Output for its audio? "sometimes it is a 3.5mm headphone jack"

If so, in the menu system of the TV where it gives you the option to disable the onboard speakers does it say anything about making the audio output variable?

I wouldn't get worked up about 3 channels vs. 2 channels vs. 5, the fewer channels you get for your money should "in theory" be of a better quality and therefore produce better sound.

Also with a distance of 3'-5' between L&R the center really isn't bringing anything of value to the table.

Eternal24k
09-27-2013, 08:15 AM
I took my old Logitech Z-4 computer speakers with sub and plugged them into my tv, made a huge improvement

Byron
09-27-2013, 09:24 AM
If you're not in a rush, you might find nicer and cheaper bars popping up as you get closer to black Friday.
Dude... that's like... a million years from now.

The optical input [on the Polk IHT2000] only decodes stereo, so if your source can't pass stereo over optical, you'll get not output.
Good point on checking that out!

There is a small pop when changing channels/powering on/un-muting on mine that I attribute to the signal my TV is putting out on the analog output.
*Shudder* I hate that
Well... I shouldn't neccessarily say that... as I have no idea how annoying it might be on that unit. I just know that my last stereo would make pop noises when switching inputs that were anything but small :mad:

Does the TV have an Analog Output for its audio? "sometimes it is a 3.5mm headphone jack"
Yes.
Here are the audio outputs at my disposal:

Digital audio output (optical) (TOSLINK) - Rear,
Audio line-out (RCA phono x 2) - Rear,
Headphones (Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm) - Rear,

If so, in the menu system of the TV where it gives you the option to disable the onboard speakers does it say anything about making the audio output variable?
It doesn't appear so.

In looking around online, I see conflicting information about my TV's audio output.
One source claims: "The Digital Optical jack outputs PCM 2.1 only"
Another claims: "The optical digital output will output Dolby Digital (when available) or 2 channel PCM."

I wouldn't get worked up about 3 channels vs. 2 channels vs. 5, the fewer channels you get for your money should "in theory" be of a better quality and therefore produce better sound.

Also with a distance of 3'-5' between L&R the center really isn't bringing anything of value to the table.
Thanks! I appreciate the advice. Given the possibility that my TV might only output 2.1 anyway, I guess that's another solid point for the "don't worry about channels" position.

My original rationale revolved around my beef with poorly mixed movies (especially when they are broadcast on TV). It seems more and more common for films to play dialogue at whisper levels, then assault the audience with sound effects that make your butt pucker. With independent control of the center channel, this can sometimes be mitigated (at least in my past experience).

Jay
09-27-2013, 09:36 AM
The headphone jack will IMO be your savior, I have lots of ways I execute this for my clients but long and short is you will not need an additional remote and the system/speakers will simply act as an extension of the TV, turn the volume up on the TV the volume of the attached speakers will behave accordingly greatly simplifying system use.

I am on my way out to complete an install for a client and will explain further this evening, but I would start looking for a small cheap digital amplifier with an auto 'on' / audio sensing power up (amazon, ebay & monoprice) $20-$50, and some passive speakers or a soundbar, you may actually already have a pair of speakers around the house that will work.

Also with the headphone Jack and as recommended above virtually any set of PC speakers will work.

The biggest issue you are most likely having is that your TV speakers are most likely rear facing off of the back of the TV and simply getting anything decent which faces out into the viewing area will resolve 90% of your issues.

Jay

Byron
09-27-2013, 09:55 AM
Thanks, Jay.

When I get home this evening, I will take stock of what equipment I have around. I have tons of old computer crap stuffed in a closet, and I'm pretty sure there's a set of PC speakers in there.

You are correct that my television's internal speakers are rear-facing.

peterb
09-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Here are the audio outputs at my disposal:

Digital audio output (optical) (TOSLINK) - Rear,
Audio line-out (RCA phono x 2) - Rear,
Headphones (Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm) - Rear,

Heck, 20 years ago in the pre-digital world I used the RCA outputs on a TV to feed a small amp and pair of cheap Radio Shack speakers. Huge improvement.

Byron
09-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Pulled some old PC speakers out of the closet and got them all hooked up. I actually forgot how nice the sound is from these (good stand-alone woofer). As you noted, using them is stupid-easy: normal TV controls work.

So, with the burden of $0 spent, this problem is solved.

Thanks again, everyone! Even though I didn't invest in a soundbar this time, I'm sure I eventually will (when I get around to setting up a larger room)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

BaiHu
09-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Congrats! Solving the problem for free is always the best kind of instant gratification.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Jay
09-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Glad it worked out!
People quite often fail to understand the importance of ease of use when it comes to AV, as all of my clients can quote me on..

"if everyone in the house can't approach the system and easily and confidently accomplish their goal I don't care what you spent, the system isn't worth the metal and plastic its stamped out of"

Jay