PDA

View Full Version : Newbie ammo accuracy question

Mooseheadpiper
09-26-2013, 08:25 AM
Hi Folks,

Thanks to some very helpful people on another section of this forum, I found out that the reason my accuracy was off on certain days was that I kept switching ammo. I've now found that I'm dead center with my GP 100 using either American Eagle 38 special 130 grain, FMJ, or PMC 130 grain FMJ. If I use heavier ammo I end up hitting high on the target. But here's what puzzles me. If I use Winchester 130 grain FMJ that I can get cheaply at Walmart, the accuracy is pathetic. I thought 130 grain would be 130 grain. What accounts for the difference?

Thanks in advance for the help.

BLR
09-26-2013, 08:49 AM
Cheap ammo = cheap components+ minimal quality control. Ask that equals minimal accuracy.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

buckskinjoe
09-26-2013, 02:16 PM
What accounts for the difference?

Don't know--however, it must be the ammunition, as that is the only possible variable in shooting accuracy. :rolleyes:

Mooseheadpiper
09-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I know it could be nobody's fault but mine. It usually is. But in this case it's happened enough that it doesn't seem like a coincidence that the ammo choice is at least in part to blame.

As for the Winchester ammo, I guess I assumed that if it had the name Winchester on the box then I could count on decent quality. But one should never assume anything.

Don't know--however, it must be the ammunition, as that is the only possible variable in shooting accuracy. :rolleyes:

hufnagel
09-26-2013, 06:54 PM
not only does quality of ammo affect accuracy, so does a number of factors during it's manufacturing (plant, day of the week, age of machinery, etc.) as well as the particulars of your firearm in question. some firearms perfer certain ammo over others when it comes to precision work. it can even vary between two supposedly "identical" firearms.

in short, try different brands and different loads, utill you find what your firearm likes. then stock up on that.

Kobalt60
09-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Maybe if the charge is inconsistent. That could cause significant deviation. Also if the bullets were tumbling. Cheap ammo sometimes does that on longer shots. How do the holes look? If they aren't round, then theremight be some tumbling involved. Shooting consistently high sounds like the loads might be hotter and you are breaking your wrist in anticipation. That's going to have more to do with you than with the ammo. If the barrel is pointing at the middle of the target when the round goes bang then the bullets are going to group around the center of the target. Are you shooting at longish ranges? It might be a sighting issue also.

Rich
09-28-2013, 02:20 PM
I've found LW bullets hits low in my 38/357

Like 110gr SJHP , 125gr SJHP

Every single S&W revolver fixed sight I've had would shoot 158gr at POA/POI

I had a 3inch Ruger GP100 that was fun to shoot. I could keep all my rds touching as fast as I could yank the trigger using 38spl and 38spl+P. The weight and grip was perfect.

For accuracy Ive had my best luck with Lead SWC, SWC HP, WC,