PDA

View Full Version : Yay! shoulder surgery

JodyH
09-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Just got back from the orthopedic, looks like I have to have a arthroscopic bicep tenodesis done.
Basically they'll cut the bicep tendon away from its anchor point at the shoulder and screw it into the humerus at a lower point.
Of course it's my right (strong hand) shoulder, so it looks like I'll be shooting and wiping left handed for a few weeks.
I'm going to try and delay the surgery until after Thanksgiving so it doesn't interfere with the November Albuquerque ECQC, but we'll see how it goes.

JV_
09-25-2013, 08:42 PM
That sucks. But it's a good opportunity to improve your weak hand shooting.

GJM
09-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Jody, good luck with the surgery!

You are just the latest to join the list of folks losing use of their dominant arm due to a surgery or a non gunfight accident. Regardless of what the odds are of needing a support hand to defend themselves in a fight, after loss of their dominant arm in that fight, I think the odds are high that at some point in a full life, we will lose use of our dominant arm for days to months. Sure would be a good time to have support side holsters and skills.

JodyH
09-25-2013, 09:01 PM
I'm actually very proficient at shooting weak hand only, so no worries there.
Eating and wiping with my "other strong hand"... that concerns me.

JodyH
09-25-2013, 09:02 PM
Cool video of the procedure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y3VwrBlSfk

JDM
09-25-2013, 09:41 PM
I found myself on the wrong end of the spider guard a couple weeks ago and got my shoulder yanked out of place pretty good. It's getting better, but I have a feeling this one is going to have some lingering effects. :-/.

I for one wouldn't mind if your strong arm was unavailable for use during the first week of NOV. :)

Dagga Boy
09-25-2013, 09:46 PM
I spent 8 hours a day for a month in a chair with a automated rotator hooked up. Sheer torture, BUT it eliminates the scar tissue build up that normal is associated with shoulder surgeries and tends to cause issues. Check and see ahead of time on what the rehab is and see if its an option. In my case they were attaching the shoulder back to the pectoral and put a nerve back in that got pinched when it was dislocated in a fight (9 months prior.....love that government health care:mad:). It may be different as your issue is on the other side.

ToddG
09-25-2013, 10:11 PM
Good luck, Jody. You know you can bounce back from anything.

Also, great to hear you're so proficient with your left hand shooting. That's a big change since the last time I saw you shoot, then. :p

JodyH
09-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Good luck, Jody. You know you can bounce back from anything.

Also, great to hear you're so proficient with your left hand shooting. That's a big change since the last time I saw you shoot, then. :p
My shooting was fine... my thumb still has a tendency to wander though.

Dagga Boy
09-25-2013, 10:21 PM
Forget shooting, I have a feeling he will be posting that he can change a HK Trigger Return Spring one handed in under 2 minutes..........while some of us would rather be water-boarded than have to change one;).

GJM
09-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Hey, no more mention of the TRS, I am feeling more pro LEM after an experience which I am not prepared to discuss.

NickA
09-26-2013, 08:29 AM
Good luck with your surgery and recovery Jody. No doubt you'll be back to normal in no time.

I found myself on the wrong end of the spider guard a couple weeks ago and got my shoulder yanked out of place pretty good. It's getting better, but I have a feeling this one is going to have some lingering effects. :-/.

Not a doctor, PT or any of that, but: my left shoulder is goofy after being dislocated several years ago (luckily it popped right back in, and I was knocked unconscious at the same time so it didn't hurt that bad :cool:
It started bothering me at times when lifting, and especially in the last few months when I started BJJ. I've been doing this routine:
http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-shoulder-rehab

as kind of a prehab/rehab thing and it's really helped.
(obviously if you think it's really jacked up see a doctor, etc)

EMC
09-26-2013, 08:37 AM
Good thing you finished 100 pushups program before this. Or maybe that's the cause eh? :)

JodyH
09-26-2013, 10:16 AM
I do think the combination of pushups, pullups and BJJ three nights a week at age 43 along with 15 years of rock climbing and 2-wheel racing (motorcycle and bicycle) might have something to do with it.

Cecil Burch
09-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Good luck with the surgery and recovery bro. I know with your work ethic you will come back fine.

Mr_White
09-26-2013, 10:59 AM
Good luck Jody, heal fast!

TCinVA
09-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Just got back from the orthopedic, looks like I have to have a arthroscopic bicep tenodesis done.
Basically they'll cut the bicep tendon away from its anchor point at the shoulder and screw it into the humerus at a lower point.
Of course it's my right (strong hand) shoulder, so it looks like I'll be shooting and wiping left handed for a few weeks.
I'm going to try and delay the surgery until after Thanksgiving so it doesn't interfere with the November Albuquerque ECQC, but we'll see how it goes.

I've laid off of everything for about a year trying to get my right shoulder to calm down so I can avoid that kind of problem. It sucks, but I'm not 19 anymore.

JDM
09-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Good luck with your surgery and recovery Jody. No doubt you'll be back to normal in no time.

Not a doctor, PT or any of that, but: my left shoulder is goofy after being dislocated several years ago (luckily it popped right back in, and I was knocked unconscious at the same time so it didn't hurt that bad :cool:
It started bothering me at times when lifting, and especially in the last few months when I started BJJ. I've been doing this routine:
http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-shoulder-rehab

as kind of a prehab/rehab thing and it's really helped.
(obviously if you think it's really jacked up see a doctor, etc)

Awesome.

Thanks, Nick!

NickA
09-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Awesome.

Thanks, Nick!

You're welcome!
I found that all the time I spend caught in arm bars and triangles is darn hard on the shoulders :p so I may as well head off any more problems.

EricP
09-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Good luck with the surgery. Do you have a left handed holster?

Tamara
09-26-2013, 04:23 PM
Best wishes for a successful outcome!

JodyH
09-26-2013, 05:22 PM
Good luck with the surgery. Do you have a left handed holster?
Ordered a left handed AIWB for my P2000SK this morning, should be here before my surgery.
:cool:

Tamara
09-26-2013, 05:53 PM
Ordered a left handed AIWB...

I imagine this will entail making sure your left hand is as smart about reholstering as your right hand? (I'm also assuming this is an actual thing about which to worry. :o )

threedogdad
09-27-2013, 11:49 PM
I'm waiting to have this very same surgery done. Putting it off for as long as I can because this shoulder has already been opened up twice in the past three years and it's getting costly.

Please update us about your progress when you can. I for one will be eagerly watching and wishing you all the best.

longball
12-04-2013, 08:34 AM
Bet of luck to you. I had the same problem, among others, in my left shoulder. Just remember, there is no such thing as too much vetting of your surgeon prior to the deed. My failure to do so drastically altered the course of my life, and not in the way I would have preferred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

NETim
12-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Best of luck!

JodyH
12-04-2013, 09:35 AM
I'm a little over a week post surgery (delayed once, finally done the Tuesday before thanksgiving) and doing fine.
Zero pain from day one. I take a couple ibuprofen in the morning to help with stiffness and I'm good for the day.
Stitches come out Monday and I start rehab Tuesday. I have three 1" incisions and one 1.5" incision.
My ortho and rehab expect a full unrestricted recovery (including full contact mma) by April at the latest.

JDM
12-04-2013, 09:44 AM
I'm a little over a week post surgery (delayed once, finally done the Tuesday before thanksgiving) and doing fine.
Zero pain from day one. I take a couple ibuprofen in the morning to help with stiffness and I'm good for the day.
Stitches come out Monday and I start rehab Tuesday. I have three 1" incisions and one 1.5" incision.
My ortho and rehab expect a full unrestricted recovery (including full contact mma) by April at the latest.

Awesome news, Jody!!

JodyH
12-04-2013, 09:53 AM
I had surgery Tuesday and felt good enough Wednesday morning to go with the wife to her sisters in McAllen TX for thanksgiving.
12 hour drive less than 18 hours out of surgery and I no problems. I even drove from lunch to around 4 through San Antonio.

NEPAKevin
12-04-2013, 12:53 PM
I had surgery Tuesday and felt good enough Wednesday morning...

Reminds me of something a guy that I knew used to say about how a real man jogs home after the vasectomy. :)