PDA

View Full Version : Move2Safety....is this useful

cclaxton
09-25-2013, 12:26 PM
http://move2safety.com/

My own take: Since every office and venue is different, I don't know how this really helps people....and most of these "tactics" are just common-sense or instinct.

There are workplace violence classes that teach basic moves to escape from a hold and defend yourself from an assault. My girlfriend learned some really great moves in a 4 hour seminar. Even a one-day Krav-Maga seminar would seem to be more useful.

But really?....as class on how to run away?

CC

GardoneVT
09-25-2013, 12:40 PM
http://move2safety.com/

My own take: Since every office and venue is different, I don't know how this really helps people....and most of these "tactics" are just common-sense or instinct.

There are workplace violence classes that teach basic moves to escape from a hold and defend yourself from an assault. My girlfriend learned some really great moves in a 4 hour seminar. Even a one-day Krav-Maga seminar would seem to be more useful.

But really?....as class on how to run away?

CC
I think a class to teach how to "run away" is better then nothing at all.

I'll note there are some offices and facilities where the employees have zero chance of legally arming themselves with a weapon beyond a pocketknife.Court employees,university staff , and military base personnel are just three places out of thousands which fit that category.

Unarmed combat skills are a good thing,but when the spree killer has a rifle and you have bare hands..."outgunned" doesn't begin to cover it.A fat lot of good Martial Arts will do you when the threats 12 yards down a hall with a rifle.Much as I dislike this fact, the best response for someone in an enforced "gun free zone" is to GTFO.It beats being shot for lack of education on how to escape.

JV_
09-25-2013, 12:52 PM
the best response for someone in an enforced "gun free zone" is to GTFOIt seems like the answer is "it depends". Trying to escape may not always be the best response.

I'm certainly not an expert in escaping a mass shooting, but I know that absolutes are often not the best answer.

Byron
09-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Trying to escape may not always be the best response.
Especially since some mass-shooting plans specifically revolve around the evacuation behavior of crowds. Harris and Klebold, for example, planned to wait outside and pick off people who tried to escape the building. It wasn't until their bombs failed to properly detonate that they actually made entry. I don't recall the specifics at the moment, but I could have sworn that at least one of the other school shootings in the '90s involved pushing students outside, into a "kill zone."

Terrorists have known for quite a while how to use crowd behavior to magnify damage (attacks that lure in first responders being another easy example). What looks like an easy exit may well be an ambush point.

(To be clear, I am not saying escape is never an option: just that it carries its own risks)

Edit: found the other story I was thinking of...
March 24, 1998
Craighead County, Arkansas
Westside Middle School massacre: Mitchell Johnson, 13, and Andrew Golden, 11, killed four students and one teacher and wounded ten others as Westside Middle School emptied during a fire alarm intentionally set off by Golden.
Deaths: 5
Injuries: 10

JV_
09-25-2013, 01:47 PM
Byron - Thanks for providing real world examples.