PDA

View Full Version : discussion of the differences between iPhone 5, 5c, and 5s

VolGrad
09-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Alright, I'm a techno idiot. I'm currently using an iPhone 4. I am eligible to upgrade and am considering doing so and will pass my current phone down the family stream.

I have done the side by side comparison on AT&T's website of these 3 options but frankly it's all gibberish to me. The only thing I could really discern is the 5s has a newer/different chip than the other two. I have no idea what this really means to me. Can anyone dumb it down to me as to what real functional differences there are between these 3 models.

Disclaimers;
I will likely be purchasing a 16GB version so the price to me will be $199 for the 5s and $99 for either of the other two.
I am NOT considering anything but the iPhone. Don't rec Samsung or anything else. I know iPhones and don't like change.
I use my phone to talk, text, take pics, and check forums and social media.
I occasionally watch videos on it but it's not my go-to place to do anything more than a quick YouTube search for something of interest.

PPGMD
09-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Iphone 5 and 5C are basically the same phone, just with a plastic case.

I would get a 5C over an iPhone 5, even though they are basically the same thing, Apple tends to artificially limit updates to the older product. For example:
Upgrade compatibility list for iOS 7:
iPad 2: Yes. No AirDrop, Siri, camera filters or square format, or Photos app filters.
iPad 3rd generation: Yes. No AirDrop or camera filters.
iPad 4th generation: Yes
iPad Mini: Yes

The iPad 2 and the iPad Mini are basically the same device except screen size, yet look at all the restrictions on the iPad 2. The iPad 3 is actually better than the iPad Mini, and yet it doesn't get all the features either. They are doing that because the iPad Mini is current generation, and the the 2 and 3 are previous generation. The capability of the device has little to do with the features it gets with each upgrade. For the next update you will notice the same for the iPhone 5 vs the iPhone 5C.

As far as the 5S, that is a much more upgraded phone over the 5, but honestly the only big features as the fingerprint sensor (which has already been hacked), and the upgraded camera.

So IMO get the 5C.

Totem Polar
09-23-2013, 09:59 AM
^^^That strikes me as a well thought out post. Where's the applause smiley?

jlw
09-23-2013, 10:27 AM
and don't like change.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Unless it is pistols, rifles, shotguns, holsters, knives, optics, flashlights, mag pouches...

GardoneVT
09-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Alright, I'm a techno idiot. I'm currently using an iPhone 4. I am eligible to upgrade and am considering doing so and will pass my current phone down the family stream.

I have done the side by side comparison on AT&T's website of these 3 options but frankly it's all gibberish to me. The only thing I could really discern is the 5s has a newer/different chip than the other two. I have no idea what this really means to me. Can anyone dumb it down to me as to what real functional differences there are between these 3 models.

Disclaimers;
I will likely be purchasing a 16GB version so the price to me will be $199 for the 5s and $99 for either of the other two.
I am NOT considering anything but the iPhone. Don't rec Samsung or anything else. I know iPhones and don't like change.
I use my phone to talk, text, take pics, and check forums and social media.
I occasionally watch videos on it but it's not my go-to place to do anything more than a quick YouTube search for something of interest.

In that case,better act fast and get a "legacy" iPhone 5 quick.

Why?Because it might still have IOS6 on it.I know a pal who works at Sprint ,and IOS7 is shaping up to to be Apples "Gen 4 BTF".Smaller text,rearranged settings,and unpredictable app performance are some of the things one can look forward to on the new software-and you cannot easily downgrade back if you don't like it.

LittleLebowski
09-23-2013, 11:13 AM
IOS7 is running fine for me.

VolGrad
09-23-2013, 11:22 AM
IOS7 is running fine for me.

Me too. It runs fine but I just don't like the look.

Here's a follow-up question. It has been suggested I should get one of the newer/est versions if I plan to keep the phone for a long time as it will better equipped to handle future operating systems and applications. Should I apply the same logic to capacity? Which is more likely to be a limiting factor to future iOS or applications ... the chip or the capacity? Will a 16GB be relevant a year or two from now?

tremiles
09-23-2013, 12:02 PM

Here's a follow-up question. It has been suggested I should get one of the newer/est versions if I plan to keep the phone for a long time as it will better equipped to handle future operating systems and applications. Should I apply the same logic to capacity? Which is more likely to be a limiting factor to future iOS or applications ... the chip or the capacity? Will a 16GB be relevant a year or two from now?

If you have an unlimited data plan and don't store media (music/photos) locally, 16gb isn't a big hindrance TODAY. I imagine with the hardware upgrades of the 5S, you will start to see developers producing apps that require more storage, however, with games being the biggest offenders. Minion Rush on Android uses ~400mb currently.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

PPGMD
09-23-2013, 12:08 PM

90% of the time hindrance is the release date. Apple only likes to support products 2-3 generations back, while limited features to encourage customers to upgrade.

Anyways the real question is what are you using now?

If you are like me, where I have 64GB devices and am using 40-50GB on it. I get the biggest they will let me buy. Other like my mom have a 16GB device, and has a good 75% percent of that free. Based on the fact that the phones last about 3 years before replacement, I would get one where you have at least 50% free after you move everything over.

VolGrad
09-23-2013, 12:43 PM
Anyways the real question is what are you using now?

If you are like me, where I have 64GB devices and am using 40-50GB on it. I get the biggest they will let me buy. Other like my mom have a 16GB device, and has a good 75% percent of that free. Based on the fact that the phones last about 3 years before replacement, I would get one where you have at least 50% free after you move everything over.

I'm currently using approx 13GB of my 16GB but much of that is non-essential stuff I just put on as "filler". It's "extra" music I rarely, if ever, listen to. It's photos from the past year rather than picking and choosing what I want to carry around. My apps prob don't even take up 25% of the storage capacity. I very rarely play games on my phone. I'm not exactly a teenager any more. My 9yo, however, usually keeps a couple of games on my phone to pass the time when we get stuck somewhere unexpectedly. My rules are simple ... as long as the game doesn't 1) take up a ton of space and 2) require to you to constantly "check on things" I'm OK with it.

Savage Hands
09-23-2013, 01:04 PM
If you intend to keep it for awhile, get the 5S since it's slightly more future proof with its 64bit architecture.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/4

Chuck Whitlock
09-23-2013, 02:53 PM
~ June I got an iPhone5 over a 4s for the same reason.....4s wasn't going to be upgraded after September or so, and I was locking in for 2 years. As an admitted technophobe, I am very happy with the 5, FWIW. The virtual keyboard is far better than the Motorola Krave I used to have (that drove me to a used LG Env3!).

SGT_Calle
09-24-2013, 06:53 AM
5S has the new processor (A7 vs A6).
http://m.techcrunch.com/2013/09/17/iphone-5s-vs-iphone-5c/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

BCL
09-24-2013, 07:14 AM
The 5S also has a dual-LED flash and better sensor for the camera...if taking pictures is important to you. According to Apple, the A7 chip and M7 co-processor are supposed to conserve battery life in addition to being much more powerful.

I'll be getting the 5S as soon as I get back stateside.

GJM
09-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Yesterday, I went into Verizon, and they gave me $350 trade in for my iPhone 5 with 64 gb, towards a $399 new 64 gig 5S. For $50, it seemed a no brainer, and so far, I prefer the IOS 7 interface. Converting to the new phone was seamless, as I was backed up to the cloud. The smaller memory models were backordered a month, but the 64 was in stock.

PPGMD
09-24-2013, 09:42 AM
The smaller memory models were backordered a month, but the 64 was in stock.

Pretty much normal. I walked in to an Apple store the week of the iPad release, and walked out with a 64gb iPad. The lower models were gone, but the pricier models remained.

And the iPad turned out to be one of the best purchases I have ever made. Having something that I could use while in the hospital, or while sitting during chemo made the experience much more bearable.

LSP972
09-24-2013, 09:48 AM
VolGrad, with the exception of photos, I use mine the same (i.e., limited) way you do.

I've had a 3GS for the longest, and it filled my needs. But, going back to the earlier statements about Apple not "supporting" older technology, I have noticed it "slowing down" considerably. That, along with reduced battery life (no doubt due to its age), and its not upgradeable to iOS7, convinced me to get a 5C this past week-end when my bride got a 5S. She's an Apple junkie and simply must have the latest/greatest whatever from them.

I'll say one thing... there is definitely better battery life on the 5C. Mine was on from 0630 to 2200 yesterday (started hot off the charger at 100%), made a few calls, a few texts, no internet usage, and it was at 92% battery level when I turned it off just prior to bed.

I got the 16 gig model. I don't need more, as I use my iPad for internet stuff away from home. I have less than a half-dozen apps loaded. The possible need for more capacity down the road notwithstanding, I suspect this phone will give as good (and as long) service as my 3GS did. Who knows what is ahead, in terms of new devices, so I'll worry about that when the time comes. I'm hoping they go in the other direction (smaller), because this 5C is right at the limit of being too big (long) to comfortably pack around... for me. Next time, if they don't have something smaller, I'll go with a brand that is. I don't give a crap about screen resolution or being able to play a game on my phone easier. I use it to talk and text, nada mas.

Truth be told, if I had it to do over again I would have simply kept my 3GS until it quit working. I still have it, but got caught up in the wife's euphoria, etc.

I would, however, spring for the $99 "insurance" plan if you get a 5C. This thing is plastic, and appears to me that it would be quite easy to crack the case. IOW, I question its durability. Apple only had one protective cover available, but it is quite serviceable and doesn't add hardly any bulk or weight to the phone.

The new operating system has a different look, but I didn't find it objectionable. That may be because I'm not a techie-geek and look at this thing as a tool, not a toy. But it does have a few new features that are nice, such as the quick access "do not disturb" deal, and a much quicker method to shut down open apps to conserve battery power.

Overall, its a wash for me. When it comes to cell phones, I'm like a Glock-o-phile... I'll settle for mediocrity.:cool:

Archimagirus
09-25-2013, 03:20 AM
For future proofing, I would go 5S. That being said however, I greatly prefer the feel of the 5c, I think it is a more comfortable phone. As a long time polymer pistol purchaser (alliteration!) I was really impressed by the crafting that went into the 5c. You might see a little lower battery life with the 5s because of the tiny amount of voltage used by the finger print scanner, but by and large, my battery life on my iPad and 4s seems to be greatly improved by iOS 7. I am intrigued by the possible ease of use of the thumb print scanner (I hate typing in my pass code), but I have no practical experience with it yet. If you are choosing between the 5 and 5c I would say go with the 5c. If you are choosing between the 5c and the 5s I would go with the 5s. If you are averse to change, you probably won't be changing the way you generally use your phone, so I wouldn't worry about going for more memory unless you want a little more future proofing.

To be honest and forth coming, unlike anything gun related on here, I actually do have a relationship with the manufacturer in question.

Chuck Whitlock
09-26-2013, 10:00 AM
I just downloaded the new OS on my 5. I like some of the features, but the look is a little more cartoonish.

FWIW, I've been using the Lifeproof case and really like it.

secondstoryguy
09-26-2013, 04:10 PM
After running a 4S for 2 years I received my 5S yesterday. It's fast, takes great pictures and the fingerprint thingy actually works surprisingly well. Honestly, my 4S worked great but I was due for an upgrade so I went ahead and bought it.