PDA

View Full Version : Your children volunteering for military duty

UNK
09-22-2013, 06:20 PM
There are a lot of veterans on here. How did you, are you or will you relate military experience to your children. If they show an interest in serving what will your position be?

Suvorov
09-22-2013, 07:35 PM
Something I have been given a lot of thought to.

I am very proud of my service and consider it very important in shaping who I am. The military did great things for me and I can't imagine what I would have become without it. I am also very fond of the extremely fine people I served with and loved the sense of brotherhood and sense of purpose. I would be lying if I said that I don't hold veterans a notch above those who never served. I also have a deep interest in military history and the technology involved, which is a big part of my interest in firearms. I embrace the somewhat militaristic ideals of leadership, patriotism, honor, and sacrifice and want my children to fully understand that what they enjoy is due to the sacrifice of so many before them. I know that this will be passed on to some degree. I often joked with my wife before my first son was born that he could be anything he wanted as long as it was either fighter pilot, special forces soldier, or a tanker.

Then my first son was born and I saw him laying there the first day and imagined him in a tank in combat and the thought made me sick. I then realized for the first time why my parents were so hesitant about me going into the Army. The military was good for me, but I never was deployed to a bad place and I never saw war first hand. I have the luxury of idealizing it all.

I am of the belief that far too many son's have been sacrificed for the sake of evil men's desires and ambitions or simply through shear incompetence throughout history. I am now of the belief that if Obama thinks expanding the war in Syria is that important, they he should send his daughters to set the first boots on the ground (after all, they are now qualified to go through any military school thanks to his buddy Leon). The effort that parents put into raising a child is far too great for their lives to be wasted on some political scheme, and the thought of my son's facing the hardship of war for a corrupt government is something that scares the hell out of me.

I guess in the end, it will be their choice. But I hope to make them the kind of men that do not need the military to become strong and believe in themselves. I also hope to be able to help them realize what it is they are signing up for and the risks involved - but I doubt this will ever be possible with young men. Finally, I hope to be able to teach them to be the best darn marksmen they can be.

Nothing will make me prouder or more terrified that for them to raise their right hand.

JHC
09-22-2013, 07:37 PM
There are a lot of veterans on here. How did you, are you or will you relate military experience to your children. If they show an interest in serving what will your position be?

I told what few decent stories I had which were few and puny but we always exalted the military services in our home. All my male uncles on both sides served in WW2 or right after and most on their mom's side too. It was held up as the zenith of the citizen.

My 25 year old has wanted to be a Soldier since about age 4 I think. Never considered anything else. He is one today and currently deployed. His younger brother (21) had no firm or soft plan for anything until he got a taste of the corps of cadets of North Georgia college (a senior military college like VMI, Norwich, etc). After two years there he left college and enlisted 11B this year and is currently in follow on training.

We are enthusiastic supporters of their military service for one hitch or a career. Like all the volunteers their ceremony's, oaths, graduations etc move me to tears.

There is danger and as my brother paraphrased, "Son's are safer at home; but that is not what son's are built for."

Suvorov
09-22-2013, 07:40 PM
I told what few decent stories I had which were few and puny but we always exalted the military services in our home. All my male uncles on both sides served in WW2 or right after and most on their mom's side too. It was held up as the zenith of the citizen.

My 25 year old has wanted to be a Soldier since about age 4 I think. Never considered anything else. He is one today and currently deployed. His younger brother (21) had no firm or soft plan for anything until he got a taste of the corps of cadets of North Georgia college (a senior military college like VMI, Norwich, etc). After two years there he left college and enlisted 11B this year and is currently in follow on training.

We are enthusiastic supporters of their military service for one hitch or a career.

As my boys are both quite young, did your attitudes towards your boy/s serving change as they got older :confused:

JHC
09-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Odierno and son http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/TheList/story?id=862414

The general's son was seriously wounded in Iraq but stayed in the fight to consolidate their situation and direct actions. He lost a leg from that wound.

ffhounddog
09-22-2013, 07:56 PM
Well my Dad was a retired Col when I commissioned and then he was hoping for 4 and out. Now after deployments to the Mid East, South America, and TDYs to old Soviet Republics now I know why my parents wanted me to be something else. It is good but sometimes it makes you think why the sam hill do I have to go again when there are so many others that are sitting around living life and having fun.

It is a sacrifice and it is only getting harder each time I get notified to deploy. Been Notified twice this year only to be turned off a week later. It is one thing to be deployed for a war that you can make a difference but to go back and see things get worse or people whom have deployed 6 times be divorced again makes me wonder how much I want to do it and if I can make my son or daughter not have to do it when they are old enough to make the decision.

Odin Bravo One
09-22-2013, 10:07 PM
I plan to be retired by the time he is old enough to begin to comprehend that sort of thing.

I intend to encourage him to find his own path, preferably via education in a critically undermanned, high paying, high job satisfaction career field. But, he will do what he will do. That decision won't be up to me.

Chuck Whitlock
09-23-2013, 06:27 AM
My grandfather and father were both sailors, during WWII and Vietnam, respectively.
I myself am a former Marine. My only brother is a career soldier.
My oldest son is a soldier...just finished an active tour and is now in a Reserve unit.
None of us have done anything particularly noteworthy above and beyond serving. We showed up and did the jobs we were asked to the best of our ability.

I say that to say that I have tried to encourage all my children to follow their own paths, and if they chose to serve, to do so with realistic expectations and for the right reasons. And if they chose not to, then there were no negatives associated with that decision.
I firmly believe that service provides one with life experiences that cannot be bought, and a perspective of the world stage that would be hard to replicate while staying stateside or just traveling abroad.
While I do not have a college degree, I was employed at a university for a time, and have come to believe that, while education is never a bad thing, it can never be the equal of experience.

Al T.
09-23-2013, 07:01 AM
No children here, but I've mentored several friends kids. I'm military neutral, if it's a person I'd have liked to be in my unit I encourage, if not, then discourage.

On the other paw, if I hadn't joined the Army, absolutely no telling what I'd be doing - probably construction somewhere.

JHC
09-23-2013, 08:40 AM
As my boys are both quite young, did your attitudes towards your boy/s serving change as they got older :confused:

My regard for mil service has only grown as The Long War has dragged on and my overall attitude towards their desire to go that route has persisted. Their mom would have loved to see them pursue civilian professions. There are some butterflies for sure. IMO one should go deep into the consideration of all the worst case scenarios and make peace with that vs practicing denial. It's not easy. Our friends and us found sending kids off to college was emotionally difficult. It paled in comparison to saying goodbye until the end of the deployment. But all of this is as old as mankind itself. We are nothing special. Just new generations facing remarkably similar challenges when all the technology and media is stripped away.

Kyle Reese
09-23-2013, 08:50 AM
I don't have any children, but if my future son or daughter wished to pursue a career (or single hitch) in the military I'd support them 100%. My family has a long tradition of military service, so I chose to enlist to make my way into the world as a young adult, to make my family proud and to challenge myself.

I've made lifelong and dear friends while in the military, traveled to places that most people would never get the chance to see and had the chance to give back to this great nation.

JRCHolsters
09-23-2013, 09:23 AM
I served in the Army back in the days of the "cold war". My son watched his various friends join up over the last 5 years and was itching to sign up when he was able. I convinced him to wait just a bit and live out on his own for a couple of years. This gave him the chance to gain a little responsibility and at the same time watch to see how things were working out for his friends.

Last December, he ended up joining the S.C. Air Guard as an Avionics Technician. We are going to see him graduate AF basic next week and then he is off to Sheppard Air Force base for 9 months of tech training. We are very proud of him and his final decision.

KeeFus
09-23-2013, 09:32 AM
My family has a tradition of going into the military back to WW1, WWII, and Vietnam. I was surely not capable of going to college upon graduation from HS because I just wasn't interested and had no desire or motivation for such. Going into the Army was the best option for me. The discipline I learned through those years has sustained me and my motivation the last 24 years. When it would have been easier to quit I just keep pushing. Military service pays off in more ways than one and learning proper mindset & discipline was what I needed back then. I still keep in contact with folks I was in with all those years ago.

My daughters do not seem interested at this point. My son, however, is and is currently in Army-JROTC in this his freshman year of HS. I hope he sticks with it. My wife and I are both veterans...(I was Army and She is a former Marine...both MP's :cool:) both want him to go but that decision is all his.

Chuck Whitlock
09-23-2013, 02:31 PM
I will add that it is very sobering to be named as your child's life insurance beneficiary while he is deployed to a combat zone. makes things more...real.

JHC
09-23-2013, 03:08 PM
I will add that it is very sobering to be named as your child's life insurance beneficiary while he is deployed to a combat zone. makes things more...real.

+1000 and when he tells you his DNR preference and someone special he'd like to get a little of the money to help them finish their schooling. It creates quite an overload of circuits.

SeriousStudent
09-23-2013, 07:54 PM
I was a Marine. My daughter is a Soldier. Like many others, our family has a history of military service going back many generations.

When she was in junior high and high school, I made sure she studied the Constitution. I wanted her to understand what she would be defending.

I pray every night for our military and first responders. Those emotions are particularly intense now.

EMC
09-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Having young children, I will wait and see what the world and military policy is like when they become of age and what my kids skills, abilities, and attitudes are before suggesting or encouraging service. For me and my 2 brothers, one of which deployed as a fellow squad leader to Iraq with me in the same unit, it was the right choice at the time and provided a debt free education which I feel we paid back with our service. We are all out now enjoying life as civilians and prospering well thanks in part to the confidence and discipline built through the experience.

Al T.
09-23-2013, 08:21 PM
I pray every night for our military and first responders. Those emotions are particularly intense now.

Those days are behind me now, but thank you very much. :)

jlw
09-23-2013, 08:25 PM
I've read this thread with interest, and perhaps I can offer some perspective from the other end of the spectrum. My paternal type served for 27 years and exerted a lot pressure to not join. I've had a pretty good run with this badge thing and am very happy with my life/career, and although I have mostly come to peace with not having served in the military, it's the one thing I would change as long as I would still be where I am now. I'll always have that nagging question. I don't blame the paternal type as I could have joined against his wishes, but his influence certainly played a major factor in my decision. Besides, I have other things to blame him for...

Mike Honcho
09-24-2013, 01:18 AM
I'd encourage my hypothetical kids to do it in a heartbeat. It's the best thing I ever did.

However, I would add the caveat that if they became a careerist douchebag, an officer, or any kind of MP I'd disown them.

Kevin B.
09-24-2013, 05:38 AM
I have no children of my own, but my cousin asked me to talk with his boys about serving in the military.

I told them my time in the military had allowed me to meet some of the best people in the world and that I was a better person for having served with them. I told them that the military would afford them the opportunity to do things that most of their country would not care about or comprehend, but that were important nonetheless.

Finally, I shared with them a quote by John Adams that has always resonated with me:

I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. Our sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history and naval architecture, navigation, commerce and agriculture in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry and porcelain.

However, I would add the caveat that if they became a careerist douchebag, an officer, or any kind of MP I'd disown them.

Interesting.

breakingtime91
09-24-2013, 08:51 AM
I wouldn't push for either but I would support any decision they make. I was an enlisted Marine and my wife is currently an officer in the Air force (I did good while I was in). I just recently had this conversation with her and we would both support it, the only thing we don't want them to do is be an infantrymen like I was. I thoroughly enjoyed being a grunt and going over to Afghanistan multiple times and fighting my countries enemies, but it is not something I would want my child to do/ go through. I hope they decide to join the Air Force or Army and do a job they continue on after they get out.

DocGKR
09-24-2013, 10:39 AM
"However, I would add the caveat that if they became a careerist douchebag, an officer, or any kind of MP I'd disown them. "

Guess you must really hate me, since I was an officer and spent 22 years in the military. For that matter you must despise a long line of career officers, like Nimitz, Eisenhower, Patton, Halsey, Doolittle, Puller, MacArthur, Geiger, Spruance, Bradley, etc...

JHC
09-24-2013, 10:49 AM
Guess you must really hate me, since I was an officer and spent 22 years in the military. For that matter you must despise a long line of career officers, like Nimitz, Eisenhower, Patton, Halsey, Doolittle, Puller, MacArthur, Geiger, Spruance, Bradley, etc...

:D Officer here too. But I could out PT, out "common task" and outshoot anyone in my platoon back in the day. But that was ADA in the early '80's. LOL The crossfit type workouts both of my son's have been doing in combat arms slots would have literally killed us all in 1982.

I can not take at face value anyone pointing at the officer corps as worse offenders of CYA careerism vs the NCO corps based on my exposure to enlisted leadership over the past few years. Everyone everywhere has some bad examples but mostly good. As it has always been.

The volunteer force is VASTLY more competent today than in the early '80's (speaking of conventional units). They are more fit, more professional, better trained and better supported today. Half of my platoon time was spent removing drug addicts from the Army; the '70's were not kind to us.

Odin Bravo One
09-24-2013, 11:03 AM
I'm not a big fan of officers. I'm also not a big fan of spineless NCO's.

However, if my son decides that a military experience is what he wants, while I would not encourage his decision to join, I would certainly encourage him to do it as an officer, assuming his mind had already made the decision.

LittleLebowski
09-24-2013, 11:17 AM
I don't want anyone to take the below personally; I'm just relating a trend that I had noticed in my 8 years as a Marine enlisted grunt. I don't want to convey the impression that I think all senior enlisted are this way.

I've been privileged enough to work with and also know from elsewhere; a lot of good officers. I'm even related to one (http://www.electrockychavez.com/cat1sub1.php) (by marriage). By far some of the most incompetent and malicious people I've met in the military have been some Marine SNCOs. A mustang naval aviator officer friend of mine confirms the same for his part of the navy but I have no idea about the Army equivalents. That being said, I obviously think a lot of a great many Marine SNCOs I've had the honor to serve with and know personally. Same for many Navy guys, of course. I've just seen several instances of senior noncoms making their mission to ruin a junior enlisted guy's career over some silly stuff.

breakingtime91
09-24-2013, 11:45 AM
To support what LB said, I have seen both spectrum of officer and senior enlisted. I was only
With one unit the four years I was in but I seriously believe there are a lot of people that shouldn't of been allowed to stay in we're allowed to because of the deployment schedule and need for trigger pullers. But to classifies all officers and "careerists" in the same category with one another is pretty ridiculous. Also since my wife has taken over the military role I have gotten to see that the Air Force has the same weak links in its officers and enlisted.

Sean, I agree that the most aggravating thing for me was to see fellow NCOs get walked all over by junior enlisted, fellow NCOs, and officers. You can teach leadership qualities but you can't ensure they'll take hold, at least that was my experience.

Mike Honcho
09-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Jesus, everybody that I caused unintentional butthurt to please accept my apologies for forgetting my smiley.

I've always had an initial lukewarm-to-cool feeling to officers though, until they prove they aren't clownshoes. They have their clownshoes peers to thank for that bias. Same with SNCOs, but in my experience they started going sideways when they forgot where they came from and started wanting pats on the head from officers.

threedogdad
09-28-2013, 12:22 AM
I was an officer. No clownshoes. Just different skills; different duties. One team.

Worked with some great NCOs, including MPs. Also worked with some NCOs who wound up eating the Big Chicken Dinner, including MPs. People are all individuals. No sense trying to over-analyze or over-categorize.

My oldest kid tried ROTC then enlisted instead. And hated it. Next oldest hasn't made up his mind. I hope he decides to serve in some capacity, but if he doesn't, I suppose a lifetime of DODDS schools has given him his own unique Army experience.

DocGKR
09-28-2013, 01:33 AM
My great-grand father, grand father, father, and I have all served; given the current political and military "leadership", I have not encouraged my children to join...

MDS
09-28-2013, 07:40 AM
My great-grand father, grand father, father, and I have all served; given the current political and military "leadership", I have not encouraged my children to join...

Wow, that says something. If service is all about making a difference, maybe civil service/politics would be a better choice today...?

In any case, I'll try my level best not to encourage or discourage anything. "Do not prepare the path for the child, prepare the child for the path."

Kyle Reese
09-28-2013, 07:51 AM
I don't think that there can be much done to discourage young men from wanting to serve in the Armed Forces, especially if they hail from a family where military service is a tradition. My maternal grandfather served in the Wehrmacht in WWII, and spent several years after the war languishing in a POW camp. The two sons that he had signed up for service in 1941/1942 were killed in action in 1944/1945, respectively, and his wife died while he was in captivity from an (unknown to me) illness.

This tragic period in his life assisted in his transformation from flag waving patriot to border-line peacenik. He didn't think much of the military (any military) when I knew him growing up, and tried to discourage me from joining the military. His rationale was that our family had lost enough blood in "that dirty war" and that no future wars would be worth sacrificing the lives of more of his kin.

For better or worse, reading this thread has brought back memories of my grandfather for me.

Jay Cunningham
09-28-2013, 11:54 AM
I have two daughters. I don't want them anywhere near the military.

JHC
09-28-2013, 01:19 PM

I respect that but current will change. I rage quitted during the Clinton Administration when I resigned a Regular Army commission although I was already in the IRR. I've long regretted that decision based on politics.

DocGKR
09-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Will it change? The risk averse, self-centered, careerist attitude seems increasingly endemic over the past 50 or so years, accelerating even amidst our recent conflicts since 9/11, irrespective of which major political party is in power. I am not hopeful...

As much as we may individually love our military--its ideals and traditions, it does not love back; service members are all just another cog in the wheel.

JHC
09-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Will it change? The risk averse, self-centered, careerist attitude seems increasingly endemic over the past 50 or so years, accelerating even amidst our recent conflicts since 9/11, irrespective of which major political party is in power. I am not hopeful...

As much as we may individually love our military--its ideals and traditions, it does not love back; service members are all just another cog in the wheel.

Point taken. I missed your larger point the first time. You are speaking of more than the elected leadership. Check.

TGS
09-28-2013, 04:42 PM

That's nothing new, either. That's just the way it is.

Our country was established upon it.

Suvorov
09-28-2013, 06:08 PM

Exactly. And while I was fairly comfortable with the thought of me being a cog in the wheel, I am not comfortable with the thought of my sons being cogs.

I do hope that we have a country that is worth serving in 20 years.

UNK
09-28-2013, 08:28 PM
"Do not prepare the path for the child, prepare the child for the path."[/QUOTE]

Awesome..I'm going to print it frame it and hang it where I can see it every day.

Aray
09-29-2013, 08:14 AM
I do hope that we have a country that is worth serving in 20 years.

That's where I'm at right now, I don't feel like most of my countrymen deserve the blood of my son. I also agree with Jay, over my dead body will my daughter have anything to do with the military.

It pains me to talk to my son about our family and the tradition of service going back to WWI while steering him away from carrying that tradition onward. But I do it.

JHC
09-29-2013, 11:17 AM
That's nothing new, either. That's just the way it is.

Our country was established upon it.

Absolutely. Our history of full of it. Wasn't it a young MacArthur leading the bloody smashing of the vets protesting in DC?

Civilian or military we are ALL cogs in the big system. We are special to those close to us. This is just mankind.

It's always worth it IMO because of the Americans that stepped up to do it. They make it worth it.
The calculation of "worth it" could collapse quickly wondering if the Spanish American war was worth the lives lost, or surely the Civil War and even WW II. Europe was worth a quarter of a million American lives? Any America asked that question going in would have judge NO! The Kenyan mall massacre was not our battle to fight but it still illustrates an example of why its worth it - in my view.

Odin Bravo One
09-29-2013, 12:31 PM
The Kenyan mall massacre was not our battle to fight but it still illustrates an example of why its worth it - in my view.

The Iraq war was not our battle to fight.

Egypt. Libya and Syria not our fight, but don't tell that to the politicians who froth at the mouth for military action. Not their kids going after all.......... yet we pour money into these fights that aren't ours, and risk American lives for objectives that are not even defined.

.........I don't see any examples in these recent events of why it is worth it.

JHC
09-29-2013, 02:39 PM

Egypt. Libya and Syria not our fight, but don't tell that to the politicians who froth at the mouth for military action. Not their kids going after all.......... yet we pour money into these fights that aren't ours, and risk American lives for objectives that are not even defined.

Post 9/11, I thought Iraq was our fight. For these reasons alone in that new world. http://www.humanevents.com/2008/03/21/the-truth-about-saddam-and-terrorism/

About 70% of the public supported at the start. I don't much care for the backtracking once it gets harder than expected.

[redacted report that is based on is found here: http://www.fas.org/irp/eprint/iraqi/index.html ]

And that doesn't deal with the chief of the 1st WTC bombing flying straight to Iraq and taking refuge there.

Which military action was worth it? Surely not the first Gulf War, or the invasion of Panama I don't suppose.

Was Grenada worth my pal Keith Lucas' life (160th pilot)? Those Cubans weren't going to execute those college kids.

What does it take to be worth it? For the millions of Kurds OIF was very successful. http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-03-21/national/37890745_1_nineveh-plain-chaldean-catholic-christian-refugees

If this is no worthwhile accomplishment then why is saving Europe from Nazi fascism in the '40's completely different?
Japan offered a deal for access to oil before Pearl Harbor that FDR wanted to take but the Euro allies spiked it. As a single battle, glorious Iwo Jima was a big mistake in retrospect. It didn't need to be taken.

In the case of Egypt, Libya and Syria fortunately, a public and majority of pols kept more active involvement in check. But if we are committed to something then I think it's all in and worth it to win.

Odin Bravo One
09-29-2013, 03:34 PM
In the case of Egypt, Libya and Syria fortunately, a public and majority of pols kept more active involvement in check. But if we are committed to something then I think it's all in and worth it to win.

Tell that to the people running the show........so when it comes down to being "worth it", if it's not going to be to win.......is it still "worth it"?

Because for Iraq, Afghanistan, Egypt, Syria, Libya, Somalia, Yemen.........pretty much any place we have put our grubby little fingers in the past 20 years......I haven't seen a whole lot of "all in and worth it to win".

JHC
09-29-2013, 05:24 PM
Reference document. They aren't all hypocrites. This is pretty dated. 2008. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/politics/2008-09-05-3756970568_x.htm

Other national politicians with children who've served with U.S. military in Iraq or Afghanistan include:

Sen. Kit Bond, R-Mo. Sam Bond, Marine Corps, Iraq.

Sen. Tim Johnson, D-S.D. Brooks Johnson, Army, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Sen. James Webb, D-Va. Jimmy Webb, Marine Corps, Iraq.

Rep. Todd Akin, R-Mo. Perry Akin, Marine Corps, Iraq.

Rep. Jo Ann Emerson, R-Mo. Stepdaughter Jessica Gladney, Army, Iraq; Stepson Sam Gladney, Army, Iraq.

Rep. Duncan Hunter, R-Ca. Duncan D. Hunter, Marine Corps, Iraq.

Rep. John Kline, R-Minn. Dan Kline, Army, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Rep. Ike Skelton, D-Mo. Two sons in military. Citing privacy concerns, Skelton's office does not disclose names or assignments.

Rep. Joe Wilson, R-S.C. Addison Wilson, Navy, Iraq; Alan Wilson, Army, Iraq.

TGS
09-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Reference document. They aren't all hypocrites. This is pretty dated. 2008. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/politics/2008-09-05-3756970568_x.htm

Other national politicians with children who've served with U.S. military in Iraq or Afghanistan include:

Rep. Jo Ann Emerson, R-Mo. Stepdaughter Jessica Gladney, Army, Iraq; Stepson Sam Gladney, Army, Iraq.

Rep. Ike Skelton, D-Mo. Two sons in military. Citing privacy concerns, Skelton's office does not disclose names or assignments.

Surprising, I didn't realize there were that many. Thanks.

Drang
09-29-2013, 07:59 PM
Absolutely. Our history of full of it. Wasn't it a young MacArthur leading the bloody smashing of the vets protesting in DC?
FWIW, not so young, he was Chief of Staff at the time. /picking nits.

He was accompanied by Majors Eisenhower and Patton (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonus_Army#U.S._Army_intervention).

Jay Cunningham
09-30-2013, 01:03 AM

Jay Cunningham likes this.

Odin Bravo One
09-30-2013, 06:25 AM

Out of how many?

How many of those were part of the 10% who do 90% of the heavy lifting? How many were part of the 90% who
like to take credit for it?

Excuse me if I don't fall all over myself. If there were that many who DIDN'T have children serving in the wars, then I would apologize and probably recognize an error in my way of thinking.

As it stands, I am not convinced........I still don't see the politicians throwing their children to the wolves, and I don't see a "in it to win it" attitude, and I don't see "worth it" ............

JHC
09-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Out of how many?

How many of those were part of the 10% who do 90% of the heavy lifting? How many were part of the 90% who
like to take credit for it?

Excuse me if I don't fall all over myself. If there were that many who DIDN'T have children serving in the wars, then I would apologize and probably recognize an error in my way of thinking.

As it stands, I am not convinced........I still don't see the politicians throwing their children to the wolves, and I don't see a "in it to win it" attitude, and I don't see "worth it" ............

Got it.

ford.304
09-30-2013, 09:25 AM
That's where I'm at right now, I don't feel like most of my countrymen deserve the blood of my son. I also agree with Jay, over my dead body will my daughter have anything to do with the military.

Is that because she is your daughter, and daughters are different from sons, or because of the environment you have seen for women serving in the military? Genuinely very curious.

imp1295
09-30-2013, 09:30 AM
Grandfather served in the pacific and my father during Vietnam. I'm thankful every day that my father supported my goals to join the military. After 21 years, and still going, I have to say that I would support my daughter joining the military. Regardless of the political leanings, I've realized that the political decisions and leanings from administration to administration always ebb and flow.

Over my last six deployments to SWA, South America and the Carib I have to say that every situation is different and I've been surround by good and poor examples of leadership on both the NCO and Officer side of the house. I've seen former leaders of mine, who at the time I worked for them, and I would have charged a machine gun nest for, fall into what I deemed complete disgrace (Johnson/Sinclair) yet I still maintain my faith in other great leaders I've worked with as well (Campbell).

We can only teach our children to be honest, transparent and hard working. I think my dad did his best to instill these virtues in me (to varying levels of success). I can only hope to do the same and show my child that a good old, Michigan auto worker, blue collar work ethic takes you far whatever your career choice is.

just some thoughts from an older grunt turned Civ-Mil guy.

MDS
09-30-2013, 01:35 PM
risk American lives for objectives that are not even defined in public.

fify

MGW
09-30-2013, 08:33 PM
We have two daughters and a son. I'll support them in what ever they decide. If they choose military I will encourage them to do it as a way to earn college money, build leadership skills, and build themselves and their confidence levels. In other words I'll help them develop a plan for their time in the military.

I went into the military with no plan and no thought about the long term. Here I am, in the guard now, over twenty years and three deployments later. I passed on a lot of opportunities that I kick myself for now. I never had anyone take me under their wing and help me develop a plan for during and after the military.

Hindsight is what it is but I would at least like to give my kids something I didn't have.

Aray
10-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Is that because she is your daughter, and daughters are different from sons, or because of the environment you have seen for women serving in the military? Genuinely very curious.

It is because she is my daughter.

JeffJ
10-03-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm 33 - I'm asthmatic and therefore, not fit to serve (technically could if I could get through basic without medication - there is no way I could do that.) I graduated from High School in '99 and the military wasn't really on my radar - I was college track, didn't need help paying for it and a Marine Corps recruiter had already dashed my hopes regarding the asthma thing. A few years later 9/11 hit while I was in college, shortly after that we were in Afghanistan and then Iraq - I went and talked with Army recruiters and seriously considered trying to get through training without dying of an asthma attack, getting off my medication for a few days put that idea to bed for me.

I do have a bit of shame and regret that I couldn't go over there with my generation, I realize that it's completely irrational because it wasn't my choice. I have a 20 month old son, most likely he'll end up with asthma and run into the same obstacles that I did - but, knowing how I feel about not serving, I can't imagine trying to dissuade him if it becomes a path he wants to take.

Suvorov
10-03-2013, 06:46 PM
I do have a bit of shame and regret that I couldn't go over there with my generation, I realize that it's completely irrational because it wasn't my choice. I have a 20 month old son, most likely he'll end up with asthma and run into the same obstacles that I did - but, knowing how I feel about not serving, I can't imagine trying to dissuade him if it becomes a path he wants to take.

You know, I have 12 years of service and not one in theater deployment, while I have friends that have 3 combat tours under their belt. It just turns out that I was needed elsewhere apparently. When things aren't your choice, that's just the way it is.

But right now, you have been called to a mission that is every bit as important, and that is being a good father. Not to imply that you are looking at it any other way, but the most patriotic thing that you and I can do - is to raise our sons right.

JHC
10-03-2013, 06:51 PM
I'm 33 - I'm asthmatic and therefore, not fit to serve (technically could if I could get through basic without medication - there is no way I could do that.) I graduated from High School in '99 and the military wasn't really on my radar - I was college track, didn't need help paying for it and a Marine Corps recruiter had already dashed my hopes regarding the asthma thing. A few years later 9/11 hit while I was in college, shortly after that we were in Afghanistan and then Iraq - I went and talked with Army recruiters and seriously considered trying to get through training without dying of an asthma attack, getting off my medication for a few days put that idea to bed for me.

Blessings on you Jeff. But no shame.

SeriousStudent
10-03-2013, 07:32 PM
JeffJ, if I might? You did the right thing not enlisting with asthma.

The mission comes before the lives of those performing it, to be brutally honest. If you had an asthma attack, and were unable to perform your assignment, the mission might have failed. You could have very likely endangered the lives of your fellow service members as well.

Not a chastisement, but an opinion from someone who spent time wandering about the landscape, whilst toting a musket and cutlass. If you are not medically qualified, you should not go. The standards are there for a reason.

Best of luck to you and your son, you have been given a wonderful opportunity with him. There are many ways to serve one's country, the military is only one example.

Kyle Reese
10-03-2013, 08:33 PM

You tried to join up when your country needed you, which is honorable and commendable.

threedogdad
10-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Jeff wrote:
I'm 33 - I'm asthmatic and therefore, not fit to serve

No guilt, my friend. Don't go there.

Guess I may be outing myself somewhat by relating this tale, but whatever. I think I might have a somewhat unique perspective on this particular issue that may be of some help to Jeff. Maybe not. Just a thought.

When I tried to join the Army I was rejected at MEPS for my Asthma and had to get a medical waiver. It took me months to jump through all the hoops, but it was finally granted; I think in large part because the Army had come looking for me rather than the other way around and because my mostly pencil-pushing MOS was universally looked down on as having any serious "warfighting" capacity to begin with. So, because no one ever expected me to serve in a combat situation where my lungs would cause the Army problems, they eventually agreed to let me in.

As it turned out, after promising anyone who would listen that my Asthma wouldn't be a big deal, it was in fact a problem in terms of man-hours of work time lost. And there was nothing I could do to change it. It was also personally embarrassing to have to periodically be on a no-run "profile" because I couldn't breathe while my fellow soldiers were out running in the cold/dirty morning air.

So, in retrospect, as proud as I am that I was able to continue a long family tradition by serving, even in a small and insignificant capacity, the Army's rules were right. I still exercise hard on my own 5 days a week, but my Asthma is always waiting in the background. And it always will be.

SeriousStudent is absolutely right:
If you are not medically qualified, you should not go. The standards are there for a reason.