PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for Improving my 92FS.

GardoneVT
09-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Obviously there's a ton of advice on improving Glock pistols due to their popularity.Yet,the Beretta 92FS doesn't enjoy quite the same popularity -so I ask the pros here who've worked with and shot these fine guns,what's some good modifications I should consider for my carry Italian 92FS.I've already got a D spring and skeletonized hammer,and the weapon is factory besides those changes.

ToddG
09-22-2013, 01:31 PM
An action job for the 90-series is pretty easy... Langdon used to do them for less than $100. An overtravel stop, like the Speedbump Trigger Langdon, also makes a definite difference.

Some people like the E2-style extended mag button.

Wolff makes a mechanism that replaces the (admittedly somewhat fragile) stock trigger return spring. Personally, I never liked the way it felt and would rather go through the hassle of changing the regular trigger spring every few thousand rounds.

Sight options are fairly limited. The best I found back when I was still shooting 92s extensively were the Warrens, but they didn't have tritium rears back then. I don't know off the top of my head what Warren offers in the 90-series at this point.

Honestly, like a SIG, I never found the Beretta to need much in terms of fancy personalized touches to run exceptionally well.

Suvorov
09-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Admittedly, I'm no pro so take my opinion for what it is worth.

Really, not a whole lot of options on what you can do with a Beretta compared to a Glock or M&P.

Question to ask? What needs to be fixed? Why do you need to "improve" your 92? Is there something that isn't working right or doesn't meet your needs? Do you just want to spend money on it for the sake of customization and uniqueness? Is it something you can fix via a software change instead of a hardware change?

Here are my thoughts and what I do on my M9s (or at least guns I intend to shoot).
D spring (you already did it).
Replace the magazine release with an oversized model or clip a coil or two from the factory mag release spring because I have trouble hitting the mag release consistently.
Night sights.
Grips that reduce the grip circumference and add tackiness (Houge panel are good on full sized but suck on the compacts).

If I was willing to spend more money I would consider sending it off to Allegheny for a grip backstrap reduction (if they do it and the gun needs it), maybe a speed bump trigger, and a G conversion.

GardoneVT
09-22-2013, 02:15 PM
Admittedly, I'm no pro so take my opinion for what it is worth.

Really, not a whole lot of options on what you can do with a Beretta compared to a Glock or M&P.

Question to ask? What needs to be fixed? Why do you need to "improve" your 92? Is there something that isn't working right or doesn't meet your needs? Do you just want to spend money on it for the sake of customization and uniqueness? Is it something you can fix via a software change instead of a hardware change?

Here are my thoughts and what I do on my M9s (or at least guns I intend to shoot).
D spring (you already did it).
Replace the magazine release with an oversized model or clip a coil or two from the factory mag release spring because I have trouble hitting the mag release consistently.
Night sights.
Grips that reduce the grip circumference and add tackiness (Houge panel are good on full sized but suck on the compacts).

If I was willing to spend more money I would consider sending it off to Allegheny for a grip backstrap reduction (if they do it and the gun needs it), maybe a speed bump trigger, and a G conversion.

In fairness,what my 92FS needs is a more qualified operator.That bring said,Todd's worked at Beretta during the heydays of the Elite series and Vertec, and many others here have exposure to the 92FS ,so I posed this to see what improvements I might have missed besides the D spring and hammer.

I'm just fine with the grip circumference and manual safety,so that leaves an extended mag release and speedbump trigger as options I'll probably take advantage of .

LHS
09-22-2013, 02:16 PM
The D-spring is really the most important modification IMHO. Most everything else is either personal preference or made necessary by your particular physiology (smaller grips, etc).

To me, the second-most important modification has been making the gun decock-only. Normally that means scrounging around Gunbroker for a G-model or at least the slide thereof, but Allegheny now converts FS into G. Caveat emptor, I don't have any first-hand experience with them.

I've always liked the factory night sights. They do what I need done. That said, 10-8 Performance just announced today that they'll be doing some of their sights for Berettas around the end of the year. I might have to get a few of those and try them out on my spare guns to see if I like them.

I really like the later model LG-402M LaserGrips, but be warned, they do make the gun even chunkier. I also like the beveled mag well on the Elite series guns, and if you're looking to pay for a smith to do things to your gun, that'd be on my list. I like the speed-bump trigger, and the LTT action job on my Elite, but I don't think it's necessary. I certainly never felt undergunned carrying one of my stock 92Gs.

But really, just drop a D-spring into a factory-stock 92G and I can't really complain much.

DocGKR
09-22-2013, 03:02 PM
I went through the Police Academy with a 92F; one of the things I liked about it was that I could carry it with the safety on. Without that feature, I might as well shoot a Sig P226 or G17...

Kevin B.
09-23-2013, 12:25 AM
Honestly, like a SIG, I never found the Beretta to need much in terms of fancy personalized touches to run exceptionally well.

This. Other than a D-spring and some better grips, I have not found much I need to do to a Beretta to run it well. The money you would spend on modifications would probably be better spent on ammo and/or training.

ffhounddog
09-23-2013, 06:20 AM
Thin grips you might want to try stippling VCD Grips did a set of stippling on my grips that I sent it. They are not hard to find and I liked it. I do not know if I gave my grips to a team mate or not on my last go. I might still have them and if I do I will send you a PM. If you need an extra set of M9 grips I have a set in the basement. I do not have a 92F or 92FS any longer just a 90-2 that I got recently because I did a trade with a friend. I miss my little M9 (lol little) but I do plan on doing my own stipple job on the grip.

While I like the 90-2 finding holsters is a painful experience. If you plan on getting one with a Rail in the future get a M9A1 if you want to have options, the 92A1 lower has the rounded Italian trigger guard like the 90-2 and the Italian 92F.

1986s4
09-23-2013, 08:14 AM
I been shooting a 92 series for some time. With a F or FS I trained myself to carry on safe and flip the safety during the draw with my longish thumb. I now have a 92G which I like but it really doesn't matter to me. I had one issue with a worn extractor in a 92F, which was replaced and it ran as usual. Replace the springs as needed. My 92 has Trijicon NS.
My mods:
D spring
Wolff trigger unit.
Replaced plastic cladded trigger with all steel unit.

I run mine wet. Lots of magazines. Ammo.

GJM
09-23-2013, 08:18 AM
What are the preferred grips for a 92/Elite? The Trausch web site is still up, but I am not sure whether it is functioning?

YVK
09-23-2013, 09:23 AM
What are the preferred grips for a 92/Elite? The Trausch web site is still up, but I am not sure whether it is functioning?

Trausch site is nonfunctional. Phone call leads you to a voicemail, and that's it.

I bought a Vertec grips. They are available from the Midway or on GB. First thing they need is tiny amount of plastic removal from the screw holes [I know, wording]. The second thing I read they needed were shortened grip screw. I never verified it, just went ahead and cut them short with a D-tool.
The final result is more than acceptable, and I wonder if it gives slimmer grip than Trausch. I am going to try and make regular grips work for me after this weekend, but Vertec grips are certainly a viable option.

As far as mods are concerned, maybe it is my soft girly hands, but B's trigger guard reminded me my times with production 1911s when most of them could serve as edged weapons. I took a file and broke down the edges; of course, that required refinish. I vaguely remember Ernest's Compact with similar filing marks...

LSP972
09-23-2013, 10:58 AM
For you guys using a .22 conversion unit on your 92... be advised that the D spring caused regular "light hits" on my grandson's commercial M9 with the .22 unit in place. I had to go back to the standard main spring.

This is with an OEM Beretta kit, FYI...

JHC
09-23-2013, 11:31 AM
Great thread and very informative for me. Thanks.

I added a 92FS some years back for the lads to become intimate with and it's been just shot and shot without any PM. Time for spring changes I'm sure. I've been back and forth on the D spring just because of their familiarization with whatever an arms room issues out. But I think I'll order one shortly.

Suvorov
09-23-2013, 11:57 AM
Great thread and very informative for me. Thanks.

I added a 92FS some years back for the lads to become intimate with and it's been just shot and shot without any PM. Time for spring changes I'm sure. I've been back and forth on the D spring just because of their familiarization with whatever an arms room issues out. But I think I'll order one shortly.

The best $4 you can spend on any gun.

JonInWA
09-23-2013, 01:54 PM
On my personal 92D, I've performed the following modifications:

-Replaced grips with the presumably unavailable Trausch grips; unfortunately (since they're probably pretty difficult to get, at least currently),adding as set of these grips is one of the single best things you can do to improve the handling characteristics of the 92;

-Replaced the OEM trigger return spring with the Wolff Trigger Conversion Unit (TCU) which provides a MUCH more durable trigger return spring then the OEM lever-type spring. Unlike the Man In Orange, when using the lighter-weighted TCU, I can't discern any perceptible difference between the OEM and the TCU; YMMV

-Replaced the triggerbar spring (annually or every 5K rounds) with a Wolff spring

-Replaced the slide stop/release spring with a Wolff spring;

-Periodically (annually or every 5K rounds) replace the recoil spring with a Wolff recoil spring, using the standard factory weighting (which I believe is 13 or 14 lbs)

My OEM sights are Trijicons, which Beretta provided for a period of time. They provide a quite good day, as well as night sight picture.

-Barrel and grip screws are treated with Sentry Solutions Tuff Cloth to preclude corrosion;

If yours is a current production model, you probably have one who's trigger, safety levers, mainspring cap/lanyard loop, recoil spring guide (and possibly other small part components) are either polymer or polymer coated (or polymer molded around a steel stub/skeleton); while there's nothing intrinsically "wrong" with them, just be aware that if you want to use the Wolff TCU conversion unit for the trigger return spring you'll need to replace your trigger with the older steel Bruniton-coated one. BUSA stocks a very neat (and nicely priced) component kit that includes the older steel trigger, a D-spring mainspring, an OEM trigger return spring, and I believe an OEM recoil spring.

Check the sticky on www.berettaforum.net regarding our locking block. You may want to replace (either immediately or eventually as needed) your locking block with the current one, which has much increased durability over the previous ones, especially the "Gen 1" ones.

While I personally prefer Check-Mate's dry film magazines, due to the corrosion-reducing and self-lubricating finish, and lower-profile hardened steel baseplate, Beretta, MDS and MecGar magazines are also excellent. (To make a full disclosure, Check-Mate is my sponsor, but I've used the dry-film magazines for years successfully for both carry and competition, and genuinely prefer 'em).

-I use TW25B cream/grease on the slide and receiver rails, the locking block and the slide track/slot for the locking block. For general lubing, I use Weapon Shield, and for the tricky-to-reach internal areas I use Dri-Slide, a dry film lubricant/anti-corrosive carried in a liquid carrier solution, which evaporates after application. I also use Dri-Slide to treat the inside area of my magazine tube and springs.

-Annually I remove the extractor and clean it and it's recess-just make sure to re-stake the retaining pin after re-installing it.

I only run factory standard-pressure ammunition through mine; while it's quite capable of handling +P/+P+ ammunition, use of such will accelerate component/frame wear, and there since are some excellently-performing 9mm standard-pressure loads, I opt for the longevity they offer.

I suggest a leather or horsehide holster, which will be gentler on the Bruniton finish than kydex. I currently use Kramer IWB and a Safariland paddle, and have a Bianchi military M12/UM84 mounted on a Tactical Tailor shoulder holster for field use.

For magazine pouches, I'm currently using Tactical Tailor's Magna single- and double-magazine pouches, and The Wilderness' Double Ugly pouch.

Hope all this is at least somewhat helpful.

Best, Jon

LittleLebowski
09-23-2013, 01:57 PM
On my personal 92D, I've performed the following modifications:

-Replaced grips with the presumably unavailable Trausch grips; unfortunately (since they're probably pretty difficult to get, at least currently),adding as set of these grips is one of the single best things you can do to improve the handling characteristics of the 92;

-Replaced the OEM trigger return spring with the Wolff Trigger Conversion Unit (TCU) which provides a MUCH more durable trigger return spring then the OEM lever-type spring. Unlike the Man In Orange, when using the lighter-weighted TCU, I can't discern any perceptible difference between the OEM and the TCU; YMMV

-Replaced the triggerbar spring (annually or every 5K rounds) with a Wolff spring

-Replaced the slide stop/release spring with a Wolff spring;

-Periodically (annually or every 5K rounds) replace the recoil spring with a Wolff recoil spring, using the standard factory weighting (which I believe is 13 or 14 lbs)

My OEM sights are Trijicons, which Beretta provided for a period of time. They provide a quite good day, as well as night sight picture.

-Barrel and grip screws are treated with Sentry Solutions Tuff Cloth to preclude corrosion;

If yours is a current production model, you probably have one who's trigger, safety levers, mainspring cap/lanyard loop, recoil spring guide (and possibly other small part components) are either polymer or polymer coated (or polymer molded around a steel stub/skeleton); while there's nothing intrinsically "wrong" with them, just be aware that if you want to use the Wolff TCU conversion unit for the trigger return spring you'll need to replace your trigger with the older steel Bruniton-coated one. BUSA stocks a very neat (and nicely priced) component kit that includes the older steel trigger, a D-spring mainspring, an OEM trigger return spring, and I believe an OEM recoil spring.

Check the sticky on www.berettaforum.net regarding our locking block. You may want to replace (either immediately or eventually as needed) your locking block with the current one, which has much increased durability over the previous ones, especially the "Gen 1" ones.

While I personally prefer Check-Mate's dry film magazines, due to the corrosion-reducing and self-lubricating finish, and lower-profile hardened steel baseplate, Beretta, MDS and MecGar magazines are also excellent. (To make a full disclosure, Check-Mate is my sponsor, but I've used the dry-film magazines for years successfully for both carry and competition, and genuinely prefer 'em).

-I use TW25B cream/grease on the slide and receiver rails, the locking block and the slide track/slot for the locking block. For general lubing, I use Weapon Shield, and for the tricky-to-reach internal areas I use Dri-Slide, a dry film lubricant/anti-corrosive carried in a liquid carrier solution, which evaporates after application. I also use Dri-Slide to treat the inside area of my magazine tube and springs.

-Annually I remove the extractor and clean it and it's recess-just make sure to re-stake the retaining pin after re-installing it.

I only run factory standard-pressure ammunition through mine; while it's quite capable of handling +P/+P+ ammunition, use of such will accelerate component/frame wear, and there since are some excellently-performing 9mm standard-pressure loads, I opt for the longevity they offer.

I suggest a leather or horsehide holster, which will be gentler on the Bruniton finish than kydex. I currently use Kramer IWB and a Safariland paddle, and have a Bianchi military M12/UM84 mounted on a Tactical Tailor shoulder holster for field use.

For magazine pouches, I'm currently using Tactical Tailor's Magna single- and double-magazine pouches, and The Wilderness' Double Ugly pouch.

Hope all this is at least somewhat helpful.

Best, Jon

Excellent post as always.

YVK
09-24-2013, 09:56 PM
I didn't ask this earlier, was looking if it was a trend/noise, but today it was made official: my Beretta 15 and 18 round mags lose baseplates upon impact on a hard floor.
Mine are a mix of Beretta-branded and Megcars.

Is that a well kept secret, or am I lucky? XP Wolff springs a solution?

Suvorov
09-24-2013, 10:32 PM
I didn't ask this earlier, was looking if it was a trend/noise, but today it was made official: my Beretta 15 and 18 round mags lose baseplates upon impact on a hard floor.

Never had that problem with the 15 round version. May have happened once or twice but doesn't stick in my memory. Don't have any of the newer 18 round ones.

You could go out and buy the competition style bumper base plates to use on your range mags, that might help.

So what is a floppy headed Canadian doing with 15 and 18 round death dealing magazines? Or are you special :confused:

GardoneVT
09-24-2013, 10:35 PM

I've dropped my 15 round factory mags several times executing reloads on hard gravel at my range with no ill effect.

YVK
09-24-2013, 11:07 PM
Or are you special :confused:

Never crossed my mind I was anything but special.:cool:
I also spent maybe 5 days of my life in Canada.

I've dropped my 15 round factory mags several times executing reloads on hard gravel at my range with no ill effect.

Try on a hard floor or asphalt, just for giggles. I had them bump out of position from hitting ground on both indoor and outdoor ranges, and today the mag came fully apart (indoor concrete).

Suvorov
09-24-2013, 11:12 PM
Never crossed my mind I was anything but special.:cool:
I also spent maybe 5 days of my life in Canada.

Try on a hard floor or asphalt, just for giggles. I had them bump out of position from hitting ground on both indoor and outdoor ranges, and today the mag came fully apart (indoor concrete).

Ah hell, I always thought YVK was in reference you your home airport :o

YVK
09-24-2013, 11:54 PM
Ah hell, I always thought YVK was in reference you your home airport :o

That is a brilliant idea. I am going to see about having a local one renamed :), but I digress...
The fat baseplates, I've got them on my 10 round mags. Can't handle them well. Methinks I am going to try Wolff springs.

JonInWA
09-25-2013, 07:49 AM

Try switching to these-Check-Mate dry-film magazines with a hardened steel baseplate.

http://www.checkmatemagazines.com/cart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=7&idproduct=127

Best, Jon

Sal Picante
09-26-2013, 11:35 AM
You could go out and buy the competition style bumper base plates to use on your range mags, that might help.

These are kinda tough to find these days... :(

Even so - I've had a few baseplates bounce off.

Sal Picante
09-26-2013, 11:47 AM
To me, the second-most important modification has been making the gun decock-only. Normally that means scrounging around Gunbroker for a G-model or at least the slide thereof, but Allegheny now converts FS into G. Caveat emptor, I don't have any first-hand experience with them.

Josh does good work - my compact G conversion is running smoothly - don't even know how many rounds I've got through it at this point.

I spoke to him a few days ago about the availability of a lo-profile & standard G-levers and he's waiting on some of those to get made - in the G-conversion, that's what keeps things from progressing - it isn't a readily available part anymore...

5pins
09-26-2013, 12:19 PM
We have three or four of the older style aluminum floor plates break off at every range.

1986s4
09-27-2013, 08:19 AM
We have three or four of the older style aluminum floor plates break off at every range.

Yes. I retired my older aluminum floor plate mags. Drop them on a hard surface and they are sure to break or bend.