PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Sunglasses/Shooting Glasses

Seven_Sicks_Two
09-21-2013, 11:37 PM
I was out hiking the other day and realized that my shooting glasses (which I had been wearing as sunglasses) went missing somewhere along the trail. So, I need to pick up another pair.

Ideally, I'd like something with either light adjusting (if such a thing even exists in shooting glasses) or interchangeable lenses. It would be a stretch, but I'd be willing to spend a up to a couple hundred dollars. I'm going to feel silly saying this, but if they looked moderately fashionable, that would be a plus.

Any suggestions?

Dagga Boy
09-21-2013, 11:45 PM
The only reason I am not blind right now is because of Oakley glasses. My eyes were saved on a couple of incidents (one on the range and one during a violent encounter) by my Oakley's. I wear them exclusively. The "shooter arays" work well to tailor the lens to conditions. Of course some thief baggage handler at DFW stole my big expensive prescription set, but I still have several I use for both shooting and daily wear.

PPGMD
09-21-2013, 11:53 PM
I use Oakleys also, mine are a couple of years old before they did the new more easy to change frames (like the Fast Jacket).

So I have a set with the darkest neutral polarized lenses, and another with clear lenses.

I would also likely be blind without them, as I've had to replace the lenses twice due to frag. Once at a steel match, another from a nail gun working on the house. Both in the middle where my eye balls are.

Corvus
09-21-2013, 11:57 PM
safetyglassesusa.com is where I buy mine.

GJM
09-22-2013, 12:05 AM
While I wear a brown lens Oakley (King Ranch model in camo!) for all around, I wear a clear Oakley set for almost all my iron sight shooting. I have found that I see iron sights much easier thru clear lenses. Bill Rogers feels strongly enough about this, that he was giving out clear glasses to those attending his school.

Nyeti and I are on a roll together today agreeing on almost everything. Actually we decided we have a lot more in common than not, and will resolve all future issues together in a helicopter, where we both agree speed is a good thing -- until it is time to go slow and be 100 percent right when we land.

ToddG
09-22-2013, 12:05 AM
I used Oakleys for years. Then I switched to Rudy Project when Julie Golob became sponsored by them and I've never looked back (bad pun not intended). I have multiple sets of their range eyepro and also a pair of their polarized sunglasses.

Seven_Sicks_Two
09-22-2013, 12:13 AM
I'll have to check around regarding the Oakleys. It seems as though Oakley makes it difficult to find shooting specific eyewear on their website :confused:

The pair I lost were the 5.11 Deflect (made, IIRC correctly, by WileyX) seen here:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/5-11-tactical-deflect-multiple-lens-sunglasses.html

I only had a few minor complaints with them:

- The lenses weren't the easiest thing in the world to change... I always felt as though I was going to break something
- The temples/earpieces frequently "broke the seal" on my ear pro when I turned my head just right
- I wasn't crazy about the way they looked

Are there any Oakley models in particular that can help to mitigate "breaking the seal"? Or is that just something that has to be lived with?

Default.mp3
09-22-2013, 12:19 AM
Ideally, I'd like something with either light adjusting (if such a thing even exists in shooting glasses) or interchangeable lenses. It would be a stretch, but I'd be willing to spend a up to a couple hundred dollars. I'm going to feel silly saying this, but if they looked moderately fashionable, that would be a plus.

Any suggestions?
By "light adjusting", do you mean photochromic? If so, I know Todd has spoken highly of Rudy Project's photochromatic here (http://pistol-training.com/archives/1929); Larry Vickers also has spoken highly of Rudy Project in general, I believe (although he was also sponsored by them, IIRC, so yeah). It looks like they re-arranged their e-store and took out the separate "tactical" section, but you can still find them as individual variants (you can see the tactical models here (http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/index_inner.php?group_id=1&cat_id=4)); not sure if they have any non-sport models with their ImpactX technology. Also, you can probably look around and get some relatively substantial discount codes if ordering from the Rudy Project e-store rather than a 3rd party vendor.

Oakleys also have photochromics (http://www.oakley.com/store/products/sunglasses/photochromic) that are impact resistant, but again, are all in the sports line of things, so not particularly versatile. However, IIRC, all of the Oakleys these days are ANSI Z87.1 compliant, sports line or not, so that should be good enough, even if they don't meet MIL PRF-31013 (only the ballistic M-Frames do, I believe), so you can get something more "fashionable", although they'll probably suffer in terms of ability to change lenses quickly.

Are there any Oakley models in particular that can help to mitigate "breaking the seal"? Or is that just something that has to be lived with?
Using MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-Xs with gel earpads, I've not have any issues with having the seal broken on my Oakley Radars. However, only the Ballistic M-Frame 3.0s are truly designed to be used with ear pro, since they have the super thin arms. The ESS Crossbows and Smith Optics Aegis Echo also have super thin arms, to go under ear pro, but again, they're not particularly versatile in terms of looks.

GJM
09-22-2013, 12:29 AM
I used Oakleys for years. Then I switched to Rudy Project when Julie Golob became sponsored by them and I've never looked back (bad pun not intended). I have multiple sets of their range eyepro and also a pair of their polarized sunglasses.

I really like the Rudi lenses for flying (think the lens I like is called red, as they are great looking inside at the displays and outside) but the temples on the Rudy are incredibly uncomfortable for me under my Peltor headset. No issue with the Oakleys.

Todd, you don't notice the Rudy temples digging you like they are made of rock?

LHS
09-22-2013, 01:02 AM
I have an old set of folding M-frames with clear, amber and grey lenses. I too have personally witnessed a man's eyes saved by Oakleys (from his own stupidity, even), and I'm sold on them. The temple pieces hurt the hell out of my ears, especially under earpro, until I just stripped off the rubber. The bare plastic temple pieces fit great under earpro and I've been using them for years that way.

Seven_Sicks_Two
09-22-2013, 01:08 AM
Wow. Thanks for all the prompt responses guys! I'm continually impressed with the wealth of knowledge around here.

I'll have to do a bit more digging into the various models offered by both Oakley and Rudy Project. It looks like both companies have dealers local to me. I'll probably bring my ear pro with me to the shop(s) to see how well the glasses do with maintaining the seal. Worst case scenario, I'll have a really good excuse to pick up a pair of MSA Sordins while I'm at it.

As an aside, it looks like 5.11 has discontinued the glasses I used to own. But, Amazon is blowing them out at less money than I paid at dealer cost through work. I may actually pick up another pair just to have a set of loaners/car glasses. So, if anyone is looking for a less expensive option, here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/5-11-Deflect-Eyewear-Three-Black/dp/B0048H0UF6

ToddG
09-22-2013, 01:36 AM
Todd, you don't notice the Rudy temples digging you like they are made of rock?

No. I'm running gel cups on my Sordins, though.

VolGrad
09-22-2013, 06:04 AM
I discovered Rudy Project a couple of years ago and wanted a pair but wouldn't cut loose the $ for a pair. A buddy gave me a discount code so I finally ordered a pair. I couldn't be happier with them. I use the Noyz as my primary shooting glasses. I have red and clear lenses but with the dark lenses they would make good sunglasses as well. These are super comfortable under my shooting muffs, which I can't say for ANY other of the popular shooting glasses I've worn previously.
http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/index_inner_detail.php?group_id=1&cat_id=&item_id=SP048006TTE

Last year I bought a pair of Skymajors like this ...
http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/index_inner_detail.php?group_id=1&cat_id=1&item_id=ML155993X
I don't like these nearly as well. I can't keep the lenses clean and they just aren't as comfortable as the plastic models.

NEPAKevin
09-22-2013, 07:27 AM
e-rudy.com (http://e-rudy.com) is their online store which has their specials page and a mailing list which from time to time has some pretty substantial discounts. I was shooting a P220 when a casing failed pretty spectacularly but didn't even leave a scratch on the impact-x lenses. The only problem I have had is a set of photochromic lenses that had the coating separate internally and their customer service had me mail them in and gave me a warranty replacement set, no charge, even though they were for a discontinued model that I had been using for years..

Odin Bravo One
09-22-2013, 07:45 AM
I wear Gatorz for most day to day purposes. They offer transition lenses if you want them. All aluminum frames make them pretty tough to beat in terms of frame durability.

I switched to Rudy Project for most of my shooting on the range needs, where damage to the glasses is unlikely.

Oakley M-Frame 2.0's are required for work, and while they work fine, I just wish someone at Oakley would give up their love of the 1980's and sunglasses designs.

Kevin B.
09-22-2013, 07:49 AM
The only reason I am not blind right now is because of Oakley glasses. My eyes were saved on a couple of incidents (one on the range and one during a violent encounter) by my Oakley's.

Oakley's saved my eyes too. They are all I will wear.

JSGlock34
09-22-2013, 08:26 AM
I'm a fan of the new Oakley M Frame 3.0, which replaced my well used Half-Jackets about a year ago. Prior versions of the M Frame were way too big for my face, and were less than comfortable while wearing hearing protection. The 3.0 has solved both issues, and is the easiest Oakley I've used in terms of switching out lenses.

Kobalt60
09-22-2013, 08:35 AM
I've got a pair of WileyX Romer II's that I like. They've got interchangeable lenses and don't look like "shooting glasses" but are OSHA certified safety glasses made for impact resistance. They also seal up pretty well all the way around the eye socket. They're also relatively cheap at under $100 for the frames and 3 sets of lenses, so I won't cry in my beer if they get wrecked. They do look a little "down range," but no more so than Oakley's. Here's a picture:
http://www.wileyx.com/images/items/large_1004.jpg

Up1911Fan
09-22-2013, 10:00 AM
I've been using the Rudy Rydon's for the last couple of years and don't see that changing anytime soon.

David Armstrong
09-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Another plug for the Oakleys. I've got an "O" frame set which is usually their goggles size, but they made a run with eyeglass-type earpieces. I like them enough I've sent them back to Oakley twice for rebuilding over the last 20 years. I also like the old original Gargoyles but am not too fond of the new ones. For current designs I like the WileyX Romers that Kobalt mentioned.

Erik
09-22-2013, 11:57 AM
I have a pair of Smith Optics Directors that I like very much. https://elite.smithoptics.com/products/#/Protective+Glasses/Director+Tactical/view/ They are very comfortable under Sordins with the gel cups. I don't know if they offer light adjusting lenses. These are my every day sunglasses. I also have a pair of Rudy Projects. Rydon maybe? They do offer light adjusting lenses and are very comfortable as well, but I wouldn't want to incorporate them into my daily wardrobe.

HopetonBrown
09-22-2013, 01:15 PM
If you break/scratch your Rudy Project lenses, they will replace them for $25. Their lenses normally retail for $90-$110 a pair.

Rudy's photochromic lenses go from light to dark, so you don't need to change lenses out for shooting indoor to outdoor.

Use coupon code LAVICKERS for 40% off at e-rudy.com.

I'm not affiliated in any way. After shooting with Bob Vogel, Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn, and noticing they all were wearing Rudy's, I decided to jump on the bandwagon.