View Full Version : Oktoberfest!

PPGMD
09-21-2013, 09:17 PM
http://www.lazyeights.net/Avion/Oktoberfest_TX2013_01.jpg
http://www.lazyeights.net/Avion/Oktoberfest_TX2013_02.jpg
http://www.lazyeights.net/Avion/Oktoberfest_TX2013_03.jpg

Chuck Haggard
09-21-2013, 10:48 PM
Oddly enough I was born in Munich but had never been there for an Oktoberfest.

Something else to add to my bucket list.

PPGMD
09-21-2013, 11:09 PM
Oddly enough I was born in Munich but had never been there for an Oktoberfest.

Something else to add to my bucket list.

Same same, except for the born in Munich part. This was held in the Republic.

BLR
09-22-2013, 06:13 AM
Do I see schweinshaxe there?

*I have never been a fan of Octoberfest beer, the crystal and malt are off for my taste. I prefer lagers, pils, and hells.

PPGMD
09-22-2013, 10:55 PM
Do I see schweinshaxe there?

*I have never been a fan of Octoberfest beer, the crystal and malt are off for my taste. I prefer lagers, pils, and hells.

That is lamb shank, quite good too.

SeriousStudent
09-22-2013, 11:33 PM
An Addison cop told me that the Octoberfest there is the second largest one in the world, with almost 70,000 attending.

It's been a while since I was there. The Paulaner spokesguy is supposed to be pretty funny.

BigBoss0311
10-15-2013, 04:48 PM
I believe Stuttgart holds that honor. My wife is using that trivia to get me to move there this summer.

Odin Bravo One
10-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Stuttgart has a very large Oktoberfest. I don't know about records, or any of that sillyness, but I know that there is no shortage of beer loving people in that area.

Having been to both the Munich and Stuttgart Oktoberfest's, I would go to the Stuttgart fest over the Munich fest. Much happier crowd, and a little more organized/maintained/cleaner/etc.

I enjoyed both, but I prefer the Stuttgart fest. I've been 3 times to Stuttgart fest, and twice to the Munich. You'll have a good time regardless of where you go.

If one has the funds and the time, a week in Dublin during Saint Patty's is another worthwhile foreign drinking excursion.

Rich@CCC
10-15-2013, 06:42 PM
Can you still rack out on top of the lockers at the München Hauptbahnhof?

We used to take the train from Pfullendorf to München with nothing but a fart sack and a fist full of Deutsche marks. After they run us out of the bier tents for the night we'd roll the sleeping bags out on top of the lockers at the train station and sleep till the Polizei woke us up in the morning for a reboot and the party started all over again.

Rich@CCC
10-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Sean,
Ever frequent the Bier Teufel in Stuttgart?

Odin Bravo One
10-15-2013, 06:54 PM
I've been, during World Cup in '06 we had a gathering there with some friends from the KSK. But I wouldn't say "frequent" it.

My regular spot is in the village Boblingen, about 15 minutes from the Stuttgart airport. There is another nice little drinking establishment on the beach in Eckenforde where I spend a decent amount of time when I am in that part of the country.

Clyde from Carolina
10-15-2013, 07:40 PM
This thread makes me want a beer. Never been in Germany for Oktoberfest but would love to be there at least once for that before I go toes up. Good German beers are a real vice of mine.

BLR
10-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Preach it brother. I'm a hells junkie. When I go over seas, I fly luft every time. Ask me why ;)

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Kyle Reese
10-15-2013, 09:31 PM
I used to like German food and beer, but now prefer black tea and Afghan food.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Odin Bravo One
10-15-2013, 09:47 PM
Ok Fred.........I'll trade ya.

You can have all the black tea, and rotten goat meat you want.......I'll bring plenty back.

And you can bring me pretzels, sausages, and Hefe.

We'll just do a trade based on gross weight.

MDS
10-15-2013, 11:06 PM
gross weight.

I see what you did there...

Personally, I prefer no-name beers in random villages all over the old germanic kingdoms. Especially as you head north and the weather turns cool, a local schwartz with some heavy stew, brown bread, and fries. With my complexion, they know I'm not local, I like to see how long I can pretend to be Spanish (indefinitely) or Italian (depends how good the waiter's Italian is) or random north African/middle eastern (not long at all once I open my mouth.) I rarely drink to excess, but the fun-loving folk around there have succeeded in getting me into more schnapps than I'm proud to admit...