PDA

View Full Version : Things I've learned about wheelguns, #247

Tamara
09-21-2013, 07:11 PM
I had several trigger jobs done on revolvers back ten years and more ago that I thought were just the berries.

I've learned something about DA revolver triggers since then, namely that a butterfly-light DA pull doesn't mean much outside of a PPC match if the rebound is so light you can outrun it with ease and you have to worry about its reliability with S&B primers.

I had the trigger pull on a few redone here lately as a result. Just picked up my Model 57 and Model 296 today. That N-frame (http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2013/09/gatuitous-gun-pr0n-68.html) doesn't feel like 9 lb, 6oz... it feels like the platonic ideal of N-frame DA triggers. The pull is still butter smooth and reasonably light, and it resets con brio. The L has a hint of stack, but I'm beginning to think that's just endemic to Ti revolvers.

gtmtnbiker98
09-21-2013, 07:35 PM
When I shoot to enjoy myself, it is always with a revolver!

JodyH
09-21-2013, 07:56 PM
When I shoot to annoy myself, it is always with a J-frame revolver!
Fixed it for you.
Humility, thy name be J-frame.

Tamara
09-21-2013, 08:06 PM
Fixed it for you.

Denny, the guy who did the trigger work on these guns, shoots I don't know how many thousands of rounds of full-bore rock-and-roll .44 Mag out of 629s every year.

When he did the trigger job on my 432PD and test fired it, I noticed his thumb knuckle was bleeding when he gave it back. I think J-frames just hate people. :D

Totem Polar
09-21-2013, 08:38 PM
I've learned something about DA revolver triggers since then, namely that a butterfly-light DA pull doesn't mean much outside of a PPC match if the rebound is so light you can outrun it with ease and you have to worry about its reliability with S&B primers.

I had the trigger pull on a few redone here lately as a result. Just picked up my Model 57 and Model 296 today. That N-frame (http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot.com/2013/09/gatuitous-gun-pr0n-68.html) doesn't feel like 9 lb, 6oz... it feels like the platonic ideal of N-frame DA triggers. The pull is still butter smooth and reasonably light, and it resets con brio...

I have had much the same conversion process, myself. I once had a M10 substantially massaged by C&S that felt like the hype on the LCR covered with suntan lotion, but wouldn't do S&B (or some PMC lots). It went away in favor of stoning and stock geometry/springs, as a rule.

I'd be interested in contact info for good, but not legendary, revolver smiths perhaps like the one you frequent; those that can do it all and are a dying breed. I've been on the wait list for one well-known revolver guy since late 2009-ish with no movement; options are always good to collect and file.

Congrats on getting your groove back.

gtmtnbiker98
09-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Fixed it for you.

Actually, I shot my 60 and 640 a lot at the beginning of the year that really helped my pistol shooting.

jlw
09-21-2013, 10:10 PM
I've got a few upcoming shooting obligations. When those are complete, I'm going to delve back into wheelguns a bit. First up will be replacing the mangled and bent front sight on my 22-4. After that, some trigger work would be nice. It isn't bad, but it isn't good either.

Tamara
09-21-2013, 10:14 PM
I'd be interested in contact info for good, but not legendary, revolver smiths perhaps like the one you frequent...

I took it to this guy (http://americanhandgunner.com/a-street-cops-custom-revolvers/). When it comes to S&W triggers, he is all that and a bag of chips. Plus, he's an epic raconteur. :D

GJM
09-21-2013, 10:54 PM
I took it to this guy (http://americanhandgunner.com/a-street-cops-custom-revolvers/). When it comes to S&W triggers, he is all that and a bag of chips. Plus, he's an epic raconteur. :D

Gee, I remember hearing about him and his .44 back in the late (gosh) 80's!

My wheel guns have either gone to Hamilton Bowen or JoJo's in CT. Neither cuts springs, but instead just smoothes rough edges. Never had an ignition problem with any work they did.

Nothing better, than a good N frame for shooting low prob targets. If they were flatter/lighter/higher capacity, I would just carry a N frame.

Dagga Boy
09-21-2013, 11:26 PM

My wheel guns have either gone to Hamilton Bowen or JoJo's in CT. Neither cuts springs, but instead just smoothes rough edges. Never had an ignition problem with any work they did.

Nothing better, than a good N frame for shooting low prob targets. If they were flatter/lighter/higher capacity, I would just carry a N frame.

Well it looks like the whole world is delicious today as GJM and I are again in full agreement. I don't know if it was that cop work was funner in the 80's, or that I was doing it with my .45 Colt "Hebrew Hammer" 25-5 and triple speed-loaders that looked like tomato paste cans.

Tam, I had Bowen do their killer fixed sights on my 296 that I carried as a back up gun for a lot of years, and it makes a huge difference.

Tamara
09-21-2013, 11:28 PM

My wheel guns have either gone to Hamilton Bowen or JoJo's in CT. Neither cuts springs...

Been to Hamilton's shop (an exit down Pellissippi Parkway from my old home; he wanted to shoot my Webley autochucker.) He's a gentleman and a craftsman and a shop tour is a delight. I highly recommend it. :D

Denny isn't fond of spring heresy; I have two baggies of Wolff springs removed from my 57 and 296. Guess I'll keep 'em for spares?

Dave Williams
09-24-2013, 05:15 PM
I don't know if it was that cop work was funner in the 80's, or that I was doing it with my .45 Colt "Hebrew Hammer" 25-5 and triple speed-loaders that looked like tomato paste cans.

Both! Something about the 25-5, mostly that John Linebaugh thinks it's a great carry gun, makes me want to get one in the worst way.

Tamara
09-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Now I want a BBQ rig for my 544 for no reason I can adequately explain, other than a 5" .44-40 doesn't really need much of an excuse.

LHS
09-24-2013, 09:10 PM
J-frames are indeed evil, but I credit mine with helping me master my Beretta's DA first shot.

I'm slowly loading up enough .38 ammo to run my 3" M66 in the local IDPA club match. As a long-time back-and-forth shooter, it'll be interesting to run the wheelgun. Now... since I know I'll have no chance whatsoever of winning the match shooting a wheely, should I bother getting speedloaders or just run my speed strips for S&G's? :)

Tamara
09-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Now... since I know I'll have no chance whatsoever of winning the match shooting a wheely, should I bother getting speedloaders or just run my speed strips for S&G's? :)

Speed strips'd be hardcore.

("Since I have no chance of winning..." was my reason for, say, running Raven ModuLoaders at the last CTC 3-gun match rather than running out and buying anything gamer. I'm boned already, so I may as well work with what I got. :D )

LHS
09-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Speed strips'd be hardcore.

("Since I have no chance of winning..." was my reason for, say, running Raven ModuLoaders at the last CTC 3-gun match rather than running out and buying anything gamer. I'm boned already, so I may as well work with what I got. :D )

Speed strips it is, then.

Little Creek
09-27-2013, 03:03 PM
J-frames are indeed evil, but I credit mine with helping me master my Beretta's DA first shot.

I'm slowly loading up enough .38 ammo to run my 3" M66 in the local IDPA club match. As a long-time back-and-forth shooter, it'll be interesting to run the wheelgun. Now... since I know I'll have no chance whatsoever of winning the match shooting a wheely, should I bother getting speedloaders or just run my speed strips for S&G's? :)

Speed loaders are inexpensive. You will enjoy it more and do better with speed loaders. You may just surprise yourself at how many "auto" shooters you best.

shooter220
09-27-2013, 05:25 PM
ABout 23 years ago, when I was a Police Explorer, I kind of short-stroked a trigger in competition. It cost me a round, and that round cost me a pretty cool trophy in what was otherwise a very strong outing for me. I am still (obviously) a little bitter about that, and have vowed not to do it ever again. As a result, I am not a fan of tinkering much with trigger return springs or risking a DA trigger that doesn't have a VERY solid reset. I keep reminding myself of that as I look at a Wolf Spring kit for little revolver I am about to pull apart and work on some.

-shooter

LHS
09-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Speed loaders are inexpensive. You will enjoy it more and do better with speed loaders. You may just surprise yourself at how many "auto" shooters you best.

Fair point, but the only revo I carry is my J-frame, and a speed strip for a reload. Might as well practice with strips.