PDA

View Full Version : favorite Bourbon

VolGrad
09-21-2013, 11:08 AM
There's an active thread on Scotch so I decided to start one for folks to name their favorite Bourbons.

I'll start. I'm not a wealthy guy but don't mind paying a little more for something decent. I generally look at the $30-$50 per bottle range for something to sip over an ice cube or two. For cocktails or mixing with a coke I'll go cheaper than that unless the recipe calls for something specific.

Straight or over ice;
Angel's Envy $50
Woodford Reserve (not the Double Oaked, it was so-so) $50
Buffalo Trace $20-40 depending which you get

Cocktails;
Good Old #7 Jack Daniel's $20-30
Four Roses $20-40 depending which you get

I just bought a bottle of Elmer T. Lee for $30 and can't wait to try it.

I'd like to venture out and sample a few others in the same range. Tell me what you like and how much it costs.

PT Doc
09-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Buffalo Trace seems to be my default choice, and I enjoy Four Roses as well.
Eagle Rare single barrel from Buffalo Trace is upper 20s and very good alone or mixed.
Elijah Craig has a stronger finish, and is nice with a cube of ice and a cigar. 20s - 30s I think
Knob Creek and Blantons are really good, but I havent priced them by the bottle.
Ancient Age from Buffalo Trace for SEC tailgatin, when quantity is the main objective. (While maintaining good quality)

Leroy Suggs
09-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Wild Turkey Rare Breed for sipping neat.
Evan Williams Black Label on ice or mixed.

RoyGBiv
09-21-2013, 12:22 PM
Booker's - By a good margin
Eagle Rare
Blantons
Buffalo Trace
Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year - better than the 23
WifeGBiv prefers Bakers

Just picked up a bottle of Texas bourbon I've yet to try.
Balcones Baby Blue corn Whiskey (Their True Blue was out of stock)
Heading to the market to find some complementary meat to grill/smoke.
Finally having a day under 90 today. Was 62'F when I started the bike this morning. :cool:

TGIS

BLR
09-21-2013, 01:27 PM
No mention of Woodford Reserve??? $40ish
Rare Breed $40ish
And of course, Makers.

And the best of them all? Bookers. Yummmmmmmy!

For shame.

VolGrad
09-21-2013, 01:58 PM
No mention of Woodford Reserve??? .

See OP. :cool:

JRCHolsters
09-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Love sipping Old Grand Dad 114 Barrel Proof over ice. Simple and kind of sweet.

BLR
09-21-2013, 02:11 PM
See OP. :cool:

:cool:

Totem Polar
09-21-2013, 02:48 PM
A little bit like "favorite gun"; I can learn to appreciate more than one.

That said, I would add dry fly distillery's bourbon to the above mentioned woodford, buffalo, 4 roses and Booker's.

WDW
09-21-2013, 03:05 PM
For sipping I enjoy Basil Hayden's

Josh Runkle
09-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Bookers, Jefferson's Reserve or Blanton's for me.

jetfire
09-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Basil Hayden's
Eagle Rare

Buffalo Trace is my standard "go-to" if the budget is a little tight, although truth be told there are few problems in life you can't solve with a handle of Maker's Mark.

Hatchetman
09-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Buffalo Trace or Knob Creek on the pricey end, though I also keep a bottle of Old Forester around, one of the more underrated bourbons out there.

Argus
09-21-2013, 05:19 PM
Maker's Mark is my go-to bourbon. I also really like Four Roses Small Batch, and Basil Hayden.

In fact, I believe I'll go and pour myself a splash of the Maker's right now. Cheers!

TheRoland
09-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Maker's Mark is good, but not at all interesting. It's the Glock 17 of Bourbons.

I'm making my way through bourbon, too, but at the moment Rowan Creek and Baker's are at the top of the list.

Rowan Creek is probably my favorite, and is relatively cheap, too.

will_1400
09-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Bulleit, Knob Creek (both regular and single barrel reserve), Four Roses Small Batch, and 1792 Ridgemont Reserve for me. I stopped buying Maker's when they started talking about watering down their product.

john556
09-21-2013, 07:35 PM
The correct answer is Scotch.

Jackdog
09-21-2013, 08:06 PM
Four Roses small batch is my sipping bourbon.

Another Texas bourbon to try is Ranger Creek .36 Texas bourbon whiskey is excellent.

Sigfan26
09-21-2013, 08:20 PM
E.H. Taylor Small Batch. For general sipping, Knobb Creek.

LHS
09-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Bulleit isn't bad.
Knob Creek is my default in terms of price/quality ratio
Maker's Mark is my acceptable minimum.
Costco's "Kirkland Signature" is really really good for the price. It's basically Knob Creek, but at $20/liter. This is my general sipping bourbon.

As for the high end, I'm a huge fan of Basil Hayden's. That's an excellent bourbon.

Savage Hands
09-21-2013, 09:11 PM
Maker's Mark is good, but not at all interesting. It's the Glock 17 of Bourbons.

I'm making my way through bourbon, too, but at the moment Rowan Creek and Baker's are at the top of the list.

Rowan Creek is probably my favorite, and is relatively cheap, too.

No wonder why I like Makers Mark :cool:

Robinson
09-21-2013, 09:57 PM
Makers Mark for pretty much all the time, just to have a bottle of bourbon around.

Basil Hayden's is good, especially when I get nostalgiac for Deadwood. :)

I really like Knob Creek.

I'm almost ashamed to say it, but recently I bought some Jim Beam Black Cherry bourbon. It's good, and makes you want to keep drinking it with an ice cube or two. But it's no replacement for good straight bourbon.

LHS
09-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Bulleit, Knob Creek (both regular and single barrel reserve), Four Roses Small Batch, and 1792 Ridgemont Reserve for me. I stopped buying Maker's when they started talking about watering down their product.

Oh, I had forgotten about 1792. I had a bottle of that several years ago, and enjoyed it, but it wasn't worth the price tag to me.

I also forgot about Buffalo Trace. Good stuff, especially the White Dog Mash #1 :)

Crusader8207
09-21-2013, 11:12 PM
My "everyday" is Bulleit. I recently signed up to www.caskers.com. They are a retailer who offers many small batch, micro distilleries and get some really cool ones. I just finished a bottle of Corsair Triple Smoke that was pretty damn good.

The other fav is the Woodford Double Oak. When I was in Louisville not that long ago I stayed at the Brown Hotel and the head distiller was there with a group of people. He came to the bar with a couple of bottles of the "newly released" Double Oak and was pouring it for anyone who wanted a taste. Man was it smooth. I also tried some Pappy Van Winkle's 20 Year old, at $62 a glass, it was good, but over priced. Oh well, at least I can say I've had some. :)

5pins
09-22-2013, 08:14 AM
Elijah Craig 12 year small batch is my favorite. I recently picked up a bottle of their barrel proof and I was very impressed.

Jackdog
09-22-2013, 09:03 AM
My "everyday" is Bulleit. I recently signed up to www.caskers.com. They are a retailer who offers many small batch, micro distilleries and get some really cool ones. I just finished a bottle of Corsair Triple Smoke that was pretty damn good.:)

Thanks for posting this website. Looks like I'm going have shopping.

Chris Rhines
09-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Knob Creek is my day-to-day bottle, but I tried some Bulleit recently and really liked it. The Knob Creek might be getting put out to pasture.

Eagle Rare Single Barrel and Noah's Mill are my sipping whiskys.

JFK
09-22-2013, 10:06 AM
I am a huge Bourbon fan. My tendency for sipping bourbon is high in rye, interesting because I do not actually like rye whiskey.

Straight over Whiskey Stones:
Blantons
Old Rip Van Winkle 10yr
Jim Beam Devils Cut (what... I know, but it is good)

Straight over Ice:
Bookers
Bakers
Buffalo Trace

Cocktails:
Basil Hayden
Blantons
Bulleit

Cocktails with muddled fruit:
Blantons
Bulleit
Bakers (only with fruit high in sugar)

JFK
09-22-2013, 10:16 AM
If your wondering what fruit has to do with bourbon.....

2 Strawberries (or you can use raspberries, blueberries, etc. sweeter fruit is better)
splash. Vanilla Syrup (more to taste, i just like a hint.)
3/4 part Lime Juice
2 part Bourbon (Blantons, or Bulleit is good in this one, Buffalo Trace works too)
Ginger Beer

Instructions:

Muddle strawberries and shake all except ginger beer with ice. Strain into a rocks glass and top with ginger beer.

RoyGBiv
09-22-2013, 11:06 AM
Costco's "Kirkland Signature" is really really good for the price. It's basically Knob Creek, but at $20/liter. This is my general sipping bourbon.

Costco here doesn't sell liquor. I'll need to search for this next time I'm in a Costco that does.

We've enjoyed several of the Kirkland wine selections. Both the Chardonnay and Sauv Blanc are quite good and at $7-$8, well priced.

Odin Bravo One
09-22-2013, 12:14 PM
The correct answer is Scotch.

Indeed.

Spending so much time in KY over the past couple of years has been educational in the bourbon department. But no matter how many tours of the distillery's on the Bourbon Trail I make, none have convinced me to select even the best bourbon over my cheapest Scotch.

LHS
09-22-2013, 02:24 PM
Indeed.

Spending so much time in KY over the past couple of years has been educational in the bourbon department. But no matter how many tours of the distillery's on the Bourbon Trail I make, none have convinced me to select even the best bourbon over my cheapest Scotch.

Depends on my mood. When it comes to sipping whisky, I'll take my $20/liter bottle of Costco bourbon over a $40 bottle of Glenlivet 12 most any day. That said, I'd prefer to drink Lagavulin 16 over just about any bourbon I've ever tried.

VolGrad
09-22-2013, 03:13 PM
FTR I went through a Scotch phase a couple of years back and it lingered until sometime last year. Angel's Envy got me back into Bourbon and now I really don't see myself going back. Don't get me wrong .... I've enjoyed some good Scotch. I'm just more of a Bourbon kind of guy.

UNK
09-22-2013, 06:03 PM
No mention of Wild Turkey.
.. Kickin Chicken as we call it here...

Prdator
09-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Woodford Reserve
Ridgmont Reserve
Jefferson Reserve
Knob Creek

Those so far are my Faves..

LHS
09-22-2013, 06:31 PM

Back when I was in high school, some of the boys from out back of town used to guzzle a concoction they called 'Kickin' Chicken'. It consisted of about three fingers' worth of Mountain Dew in a 20oz soda bottle, filled the rest of the way up with 100-proof Turkey. Not my cup of tea.

UNK
09-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Back when I was in high school, some of the boys from out back of town used to guzzle a concoction they called 'Kickin' Chicken'. It consisted of about three fingers' worth of Mountain Dew in a 20oz soda bottle, filled the rest of the way up with 100-proof Turkey. Not my cup of tea.
Maybe 101? It is strong stuff. Wild Turkey can stand on its own...Give it a try.

SGT_Calle
09-23-2013, 07:06 AM
I picked up a bottle of Old Weller Antique the other day on my local shop owner's suggestion. It is a 107 proof wheated Bourbon and I like it so far. I also like the offerings from Colonel E. H. Taylor (when I have the money to spend).
My other favorites have already been mentioned: Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Bulliet, Elijah Craig 12yr, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

RoyGBiv
09-23-2013, 07:12 AM
Just picked up a bottle of Texas bourbon I've yet to try.
Balcones Baby Blue corn Whiskey (Their True Blue was out of stock)
Heading to the market to find some complementary meat to grill/smoke.
Finally having a day under 90 today. Was 62'F when I started the bike this morning. :cool:

TGIS
Following up.... The Balcones Baby Blue was a bust. Tasted like Canadian Whiskey to me, more so than Bourbon. It did have some good moments as it opened up.... Some vanilla, a big tobacco note at one point, but after a first round neat and them some rocks, it was relegated to mixed drinks.

Two thumbs up for Knob Creek Single Barrel though.

cclaxton
09-23-2013, 08:12 AM
Favorite Bourbon: Makers Mark

Favorite Whiskey: George Washington's Original Recipe Rye Whiskey. This is amazingly smooth and flavorful with a great lingering aftertaste.
http://caskers.com/product/george-washington-rye-whiskey/
http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-03-27/lifestyle/38068586_1_dave-pickerell-rye-whiskey-distillery

Favorite Drink: Captain Morgan on the Rocks.
CC

ubervic
12-07-2015, 06:26 PM
Yes, I am dragging-up an ages-old thread from the past.

I have sampled quite a few bourbons over the past few months, and yet I keep favoring Bulleit. I'm a fan of its pure, smooth, direct flavor and incredibly clean, very slightly mint finish. I dig.

Sasage
12-07-2015, 06:29 PM
Yes, I am dragging-up an ages-old thread from the past.

I have sampled quite a few bourbons over the past few months, and yet I keep favoring Bulleit. I'm a fan of its pure, smooth, direct flavor and incredibly clean, very slightly mint finish. I dig.

I usually use Bulleit in my Old Fashioneds.

ubervic
12-07-2015, 06:31 PM
I usually use Bulleit in my Old Fashioneds.

I'm definitely still in my learning/sampling stage and am enjoying all bourbons straight/neat.

Lon
12-07-2015, 07:54 PM

The night before my first wedding I ended up shooting wild turkey out my nose when a buddy told a joke just as I fired down a shot. Haven't been able to drink it since then.

Robinson
12-08-2015, 03:26 PM
Bulleit is really pretty good.

I tried some Wathen's Single Barrel recently and it was good as well.

My recent favorite is Blanton's by a fair stretch.

ubervic
12-08-2015, 06:35 PM
Bulleit is really pretty good.

I tried some Wathen's Single Barrel recently and it was good as well.

My recent favorite is Blanton's by a fair stretch.

I'm reading more and more about how Blanton's is a favorite for many.
Must sample it.

Hansohn Brothers
12-08-2015, 08:07 PM
Knob Creek or Woodford Reserve.

RoyGBiv
12-08-2015, 08:23 PM
Bookers
Blantons
Bulleit RYE (don't like their Bourbon)
Eagle Rare
Buffalo Trace

aboveandbeyond
12-08-2015, 09:30 PM
Been downing a lot of Redemption Rye for my old fashions.

Another great rye bourbon is Rittenhouse.

I've been sipping Barterhouse Orphan Barrel of late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeriousStudent
12-08-2015, 09:47 PM
I was able to snag a bottle of Hermann-Marshall Temptress yesterday.

http://www.guidelive.com/booze-news/2015/11/24/lakewood-brewing-herman-marshall-temptress-whiskey-holidays

Tasting notes after the weekend gets here.

LSP552
12-08-2015, 10:05 PM
I'm reading more and more about how Blanton's is a favorite for many.
Must sample it.

It's certainly one of my favorites! Sipping while typing tonight:)

Josh Runkle
12-08-2015, 10:55 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/08/3e917608a187af036ff1e0303558a5af.jpg

This is what I'm drinking right now.

MDS
12-09-2015, 09:26 AM
On my way to a hunt in tx, bringing my buddies a little Colorado flavor. This stuff is up there with the best fancy stuff I've ever had.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/09/577d90ce797a69883212c913e8ce0630.jpg

ffhounddog
12-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Wild Turkey 101.......yes.

NEPAKevin
12-09-2015, 02:23 PM
Just out of idle curiosity, what is the going retail for PVW? Earlier this week the Pennsy LCB put out a notice that instead of first come first serve, they were distributing the limited bottles they are getting and prices ran from 49.99 for Old Rip to 249.99 for 23YO Pappy.

Mack
12-09-2015, 02:28 PM
A word of warning, stay away from Jim Beam devils cut, I'm not sure what compelled me to try it but it was swill.

Since I live in VT it is pretty easy to find Whistlepig, which is decent, if you can find it near you I would at least try it once. Island Scotches have ruined me though, I don't drink much else anymore.

RoyGBiv
12-09-2015, 04:21 PM
Just out of idle curiosity, what is the going retail for PVW? Earlier this week the Pennsy LCB put out a notice that instead of first come first serve, they were distributing the limited bottles they are getting and prices ran from 49.99 for Old Rip to 249.99 for 23YO Pappy.

The actual retail is typically the suggested retail for any given PVW. The problem is finding someone willing to sell you a bottle at retail. If you have a good relationship with your local retailer, you might get lucky. First, THEY have to get some. Then, they have to see you as a customer worthy of "gifting" the purchase opportunity. Those allocations are coming out now, so, it's a good time to inquire or get on a list if there is one. Last year when I asked my local guy he told me he could sell me one bottle of the allocated stuff he still had on hand. Claimed he got only one case of mixed PVW bottles. I had tried all the PVW stuff previously and honestly prefer Bookers and Blantons. So I went for a bottle of George T Stagg (a Sazerac brand. They own Buffalo Trace who make all the PVW), which he retrieved out of his office, not the stock room. The Stagg remains in my cellar unopened, next to a bottle of PVW 23, also unopened. I picked up the PVW by dumb luck a few years ago at retail ($250, IIRC). The shop I was in just had it sitting there behind the glass window with a price on it.... Lucky me. I keep thinking about selling it... seems to be worth around $1500 or so on the resale market.... That would buy a lot of Bookers and Blantons... Or a nice 1911... :cool: We'll see.

ubervic
12-09-2015, 06:45 PM
So many bourbons; so little time...

At this moment, Bulleit (bourbon, not rye) is one of my favorites for sipping. i enjoy its smooth, clean flavor profile, with just the right amount of heat. But I'm enjoying building my repertoire with many samplings along the way.

breakingtime91
12-09-2015, 07:20 PM
what is a good way to make old fashioned at home?

RoyGBiv
12-09-2015, 09:30 PM
what is a good way to make old fashioned at home?

It's a simple recipe. No? (I don't drink them, so I'm asking seriously) Your local hipster supermarket probably sells the bitters... if no, the liquor store probably does.
http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/recipes/a3880/old-fashioned-drink-recipe/
http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink407.html

Sasage
12-10-2015, 06:09 AM
http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/recipes/a3880/old-fashioned-drink-recipe/

I omit the soda and use filtered tap water. I also rim the glass with a piece of orange peel if I'm feeling fancy

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

NickA
12-10-2015, 09:49 AM
I also skip the soda or water, and use simple syrup instead of sugar. Sometimes a cherry but have never messed with the orange.
Simple syrup and bitters should be available in the mixer section of any decent sized grocery store.

ubervic
12-12-2015, 05:45 PM
Still digging Bulleit. Straight.

ubervic
03-30-2016, 07:09 PM
Been sipping Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses....but still keep coming back to Bulleit. Neat.

Digging the blend of spice, heat, pungent nose, smooth finish.

RoyGBiv
03-30-2016, 07:30 PM
Been sipping Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses....but still keep coming back to Bulleit. Neat.

Tried the Rye?

VolGrad
03-30-2016, 08:12 PM

Good choices. Funny I started this thread 3 years ago. After some time ...

My favorite is hands down Blanton's. I'm sipping some now.

For everyday I usually have Weller Special Reserve. It's my "house" brand. Cheap but really great flavor.

I also like Bulleit, Four Roses, Eagle Rare, Noah's Mill, 1792, and a few others.

jc000
03-30-2016, 09:08 PM
I've been digging Bookers. Wow, that is strong. That's become my go to for the time being.

I was a big Bulleit fan when I first started drinking Bourbon. Haven't got any in some time but I did pick up the rye recently and found it really weak tasting? I'd heard a lot of good things about it, was suprised for sure.

Been enjoying some Elijah Craig as well. Pretty solid.

ubervic
04-11-2016, 05:33 PM
Tried the Rye?

I tried the rye on your suggestion. I find it too spicy for my liking, and prefer Bullleit straight bourbon.

Paltares8
04-11-2016, 06:06 PM
In no particular order; Bulleit, buffalo trace, angels envy, wigle(local pittsburgh bourbon), maker's mark. Buffalo and evan williams are my preferred cheap mixers, although that's not to say I don't like buffalo straight. Bourbon has been my preferred drink since...a long time ago, but there are still a few I can't stand

LostDuke
04-11-2016, 06:10 PM
As a daily inexpensive and good quality fare, Elijah Craig. More difficult to find, but worth it Rowan's Creek.

LHS
04-11-2016, 10:36 PM
Good choices. Funny I started this thread 3 years ago. After some time ...

My favorite is hands down Blanton's. I'm sipping some now.

For everyday I usually have Weller Special Reserve. It's my "house" brand. Cheap but really great flavor.

I also like Bulleit, Four Roses, Eagle Rare, Noah's Mill, 1792, and a few others.

I finally tried Blanton's, and I have to say, I was underwhelmed. Maybe I just built it up too much in my mind before trying it, but I found it lackluster, especially for the price. Now Booker's, though... I'd drink that every day if I could.

Sigfan26
04-11-2016, 11:13 PM
I finally tried Blanton's, and I have to say, I was underwhelmed. Maybe I just built it up too much in my mind before trying it, but I found it lackluster, especially for the price. Now Booker's, though... I'd drink that every day if I could.

This was my outlook when I dropped $70 for a double of Pappy VanWinkle 20 year old (from a reputable seller of fine spirits... So it wasn't a fake). The hype just didn't measure up for me. I'd much rather have had another Jeffersons Presidential Select 25 or a Jefersons Ocean.