PDA

View Full Version : AR Load Sequence / Correction of Faulty Loading?

dustyvarmint
09-20-2013, 07:56 PM
I'm working to improve my AR handling. This is when I'm on the range and have to open and lock back the bolt to go forward of the firing line.

One stupid thing I do when loading in this case is insert the mag and instead of hitting the paddle I pull the charging handle which ends up with a soft load into the chamber without the bolt fully closing.

I've tried using the forward assist. That never works. Of course, working the bolt with a mag in causes a double feed.

1) What is the best way to deal with the malfunction I created? The first one, not the double feed.

2) What is the proper loading sequence in this instance?

Yes, I'm taking a class end of October...

happy shooting, dv

Chuck Haggard
09-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Push/Pull/Roll/Rack works, if you run the charging handle vigorously.

Otherwise just hit the bolt release.

TGS
09-20-2013, 08:25 PM
1) What is the best way to deal with the malfunction I created? The first one, not the double feed.

Weapon on safe, lock the bolt to the rear, drop the mag, clear the brass, reinsert mag, then hit the bolt release (I say bolt release because racking it was obviously problematic for you to begin with). This is just a standard remedial action.

2) What is the proper loading sequence in this instance?

What tpd said.

As for the class, ask the instructor to run through "3 Kittens" with you guys if it isn't in the syllabus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TqLnBd1udM

Byron
09-20-2013, 08:34 PM
Are you "riding" the charging handle?

When you run the charging handle, don't hold on to it: pull it all the way to the rear, then let it go. This will allow the bolt to close with full strength. Sounds like you're easing it closed instead.

BoppaBear
09-21-2013, 10:33 AM
Hey OP,

Good info offered by everyone so far.

Byron's question about riding the charging handle is a good one also and something to pay attention to. If you are, you may not be fully seating the bolt every time.

Chamber checking this way should also be followed by you hitting the FA. Mals can be caused by this by not letting the bold slam forward under spring tension.

If you do this, just make sure to hit the forward assist, but I (being non LEO/.gov/.mil) was taught to check the chamber by recognizing which side of the mag your first round is sitting on. Release the bolt, and drop the mag to see if that round is still there. If it's not, then you've chambered the round.

For tac reloads, under stress, you obviously won't be chamber checking on every reload. Hitting the paddle, or getting a BAD lever will help you make sure you're loading properly and the bolt is fully seated.

dustyvarmint
09-21-2013, 02:45 PM

Are you "riding" the charging handle?

When you run the charging handle, don't hold on to it: pull it all the way to the rear, then let it go. This will allow the bolt to close with full strength. Sounds like you're easing it closed instead.

Normally, when starting from a closed bolt, no. In this instance I believe I am so I will pay attention to that during practice.

thanks & happy shooting, dv

dustyvarmint
09-21-2013, 02:56 PM
Weapon on safe, lock the bolt to the rear, drop the mag, clear the brass, reinsert mag, then hit the bolt release (I say bolt release because racking it was obviously problematic for you to begin with). This is just a standard remedial action.

What tpd said.

As for the class, ask the instructor to run through "3 Kittens" with you guys if it isn't in the syllabus.

Ok, watched the video twice, looked up all the malf terms :D, watched the video again. Now off to the basement with some dummy rounds to set it up!

happy shooting, dv

dustyvarmint
09-21-2013, 02:58 PM

Ok, I tried, I can't figure out the terminology!

happy shooting, dv

Josh Runkle
09-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Ok, I tried, I can't figure out the terminology!

happy shooting, dv

If you mean you don't understand the push, pull, roll, rack...

Push the magazine in the gun, now, pull down on the magazine to make sure it is seated. (Don't "slap" the bottom of the mag) Roll the firearm outboard so that as you pull the charging handle it doesn't run into your arm. (A problem that can cause short-strokes) However, some people "roll" the other way into a chamber check, ala Magpul before the racking sequence. Now, vigorously rip the charging handle all the way to the rear and release.

Otherwise, on an empty chamber, push/pull, bolt-release.

dustyvarmint
09-21-2013, 03:23 PM
If you mean you don't understand the push, pull, roll, rack...

Push the magazine in the gun, now, pull down on the magazine to make sure it is seated. (Don't "slap" the bottom of the mag) Roll the firearm outboard so that as you pull the charging handle it doesn't run into your arm. (A problem that can cause short-strokes) However, some people "roll" the other way into a chamber check, ala Magpul before the racking sequence. Now, vigorously rip the charging handle all the way to the rear and release.

Otherwise, on an empty chamber, push/pull, bolt-release.

Ahhhh... Thank you.

Happy shooting, dv