PDA

View Full Version : First NFA

Kevin B.
09-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Recently, I have been shooting a 10" DD quite a bit and I have decided to buy one. I am not going the trust route. I am not going to SBR one of my lowers. My plan is to buy a complete SBR. I have done a bit of research and here is my current understanding:

I need to find a dealer with one in stock.
I purchase it from that dealer and have it transfered to a dealer in my state.
The dealer in my state fills out part of the Form 4.
I fill out the rest of the Form 4 and have the CLEO sign off on it.
The Form 4 goes to the ATF with my fingerprints, passport photo and a check for $200.
I wait for a few months.
The paperwork comes back and I go pick up the rifle.

I am deployed and should be home in a couple months. I will redeploy again a month or so later. I am looking to start the process while I am home and then let the BATFE process the paperwork while I am on my second deployment.

Any tips on how I can make the process more efficient or any corrections to my limited understanding of the process are appreciated.

TR675
09-20-2013, 10:19 AM
That's pretty much it. Your dealer can walk you through it.

Make sure your CLEO will sign off the application; many of them refuse to and you can't make them. Do this before purchasing the rifle. SBR'ing an existing lower is attractive for this reason - you can still own and possess the lower even if the CLEO refuses to fill out the form.

Read the NFA Handbook, available at the ATF's website. Lots of good information. Ditto the ATF's FAQ's about NFA weapons.

You need to send in a certificate of citizenship as well, also available from the ATF's website.

Your Form 4 needs to be in duplicate. Follow the instructions to the letter.

You're looking at a 9-12 month wait right now, from what I hear.

LittleLebowski
09-20-2013, 10:28 AM
You might contact KevinB about a 11.5" KAC.

Kevin B.
09-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Make sure your CLEO will sign off the application; many of them refuse to and you can't make them. Do this before purchasing the rifle. SBR'ing an existing lower is attractive for this reason - you can still own and possess the lower even if the CLEO refuses to fill out the form.

No issue with the CLEO signature.:cool:

TR675
09-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Good advice.

LittleLebowski
09-20-2013, 11:14 AM
You could always buy a factory SBR upper.

Kevin B.
09-20-2013, 11:20 AM
FWIW, Form 3s (dealer to dealer transfers) are currently taking about 3 months, and Form 4s are taking about 9 months. Expect this process to take over a year.

Given the potential for your deployment to interfere with the timing of transfers and paperwork, I'd strongly consider putting one of your existing lowers on a Form 1 now instead of buying a factory SBR.

That is what I was afraid of...

I was hoping to use some of my time OCONUS to offset the wait. No big issue. I will just wait until I get home. Thanks for the help.

BWT
09-20-2013, 03:13 PM
Buy it now wherever you can find it have it transferred to your dealer and fill out the paperwork when you get back.

It'll take a few months to transfer to the dealer anyway. Get your CLEO signature, check, passport photo, fingerprints, etc. squared away and mail the packet when you get back.

ETA: How long before you get home?

BWT
09-20-2013, 03:45 PM
Buy it now wherever you can find it have it transferred to your dealer and fill out the paperwork when you get back.

It'll take a few months to transfer to the dealer anyway. Get your CLEO signature, check, passport photo, fingerprints, etc. squared away and mail the packet when you get back.

ETA: How long before you get home?

http://www.hammerheadweapons.com/Daniel-Defense-MK18-5-56-SBR-p/danieldefense-mk18sbr.htm

If you have 3 months or more in your deployment, buy it. Verify the vendor first, but I'd buy it ASAP.

Josh Runkle
09-20-2013, 05:54 PM
FWIW, Form 3s (dealer to dealer transfers) are currently taking about 3 months, and Form 4s are taking about 9 months.

Form 4's are currently running 9 months from after the time they go pending, now they take 3 months to go pending, which means that it is 1 year from when you send it in until approved.

Sparks2112
09-21-2013, 05:07 PM
You might contact KevinB about a 11.5" KAC.

I LOVE mine...

BWT
09-22-2013, 02:04 PM
Form 4's are currently running 9 months from after the time they go pending, now they take 3 months to go pending, which means that it is 1 year from when you send it in until approved.

http://www.nfatracker.com

Looks like 9 total.

Josh Runkle
09-22-2013, 02:12 PM
http://www.nfatracker.com

Looks like 9 total.

Those are how long they were taking. Call ATF NFA Branch: 304.616.4500

If you sent one in 9 months ago it would be approved now. If you send one in today it will take a year.

BWT
09-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Those are how long they were taking. Call ATF NFA Branch: 304.616.4500

If you sent one in 9 months ago it would be approved now. If you send one in today it will take a year.

Ah, good to know. I need to call them about one they cashed the check on March 21st. I'll ask.

Kyle Reese
09-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Waiting on the Form 4 to come back on my Gemtech G5-22.... Check was cashed 4/26/2013....

BWT
09-23-2013, 11:48 AM
I called and my SBR went pending May 19th, she said 9 months.

I was thinking Christmas, it's now looking like Valentines day.

ETA: Maybe we could all form a support group?

Josh Runkle
09-23-2013, 12:22 PM
I called and my SBR went pending May 19th, she said 9 months.

I was thinking Christmas, it's now looking like Valentines day.

ETA: Maybe we could all form a support group?

The trick is to send something in every month or two, then it becomes like an NFA ladder, where you're always sending one thing in and getting something else ;)

BWT
09-23-2013, 03:38 PM
I've heard of that before, referred to as the state of constant "pending".

TAZ
09-24-2013, 11:57 AM
I've heard of that before, referred to as the state of constant "pending".

Or the state of prepetual spending :)