PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected benefits.

Tamara
09-15-2013, 05:47 PM
I have two full-size M&P 9s, so I added a full-size M&P 357 (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?87-The-Obligatory-Show-Off-Thread&p=139148&viewfull=1#post139148) as a sort of auxiliary backup, thinking to add a .40 barrel and use it as a fallback if 9mm practice ammo should completely dry up or I should stumble across an unexpected trove of .40 or .357SIG.

When I suffered an undiagnosed malf with my carry gun in a match, I went to toting the 357 'til I could clean my main carry piece. (The other M&P 9 has an RDS on it and I'm not 100% comfortable toting that yet.)

Now some travel plans draw nigh that will have me in Colorado briefly, which currently has a 15-round mag limit. Before I got this gun I would have dusted off the Milt Sparks and gone back to a 1911 for the trip, but quelle coincidence! The new backup finds yet another use!

My third heater, originally intended solely as a range toy, has turned out far more useful than I'd originally intended.

BLR
09-15-2013, 06:04 PM
I have two full-size M&P 9s, so I added a full-size M&P 357 (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?87-The-Obligatory-Show-Off-Thread&p=139148&viewfull=1#post139148) as a sort of auxiliary backup, thinking to add a .40 barrel and use it as a fallback if 9mm practice ammo should completely dry up or I should stumble across an unexpected trove of .40 or .357SIG.

When I suffered an undiagnosed malf with my carry gun in a match, I went to toting the 357 'til I could clean my main carry piece. (The other M&P 9 has an RDS on it and I'm not 100% comfortable toting that yet.)

Now some travel plans draw nigh that will have me in Colorado briefly, which currently has a 15-round mag limit. Before I got this gun I would have dusted off the Milt Sparks and gone back to a 1911 for the trip, but quelle coincidence! The new backup finds yet another use!

My third heater, originally intended solely as a range toy, has turned out far more useful than I'd originally intended.

I'm beginning to think you are beyond redemption. :(

KeeFus
09-15-2013, 06:06 PM

Its not a NCSHP reject is it? LOL!:D

farscott
09-15-2013, 06:12 PM
I did something similar with a Glock 23. Once the ammo run was in play but gun demand dropped, I bought the Glock 23 and added the .357 SIG barrel for the ammo scarcity reason. I also added a KKM .40-9mm conversion barrel so I could get practice with .40 S&W, .357 SIG, or 9mm. I never expected that of those three calibers, .40 S&W would be the easiest and least expensive to consistently purchase during the last year. 9mm is still hard to consistently find locally and is sold with one box per customer limits when it can be found. There has been no .357 SIG. So the 9mm and .357 SIG barrels are unused. That is how it worked out in my neck of the woods. The whole ammo shortage did not behave anything like I expected, and I am still shaking my head at the lack of .22 rimfire in the marketplace. My planning only worked because I covered every base, not because I got anything correct. It is quite humbling and terrifying. I would have bet lots of money (and spent it) with the thought that 9mm and .22 would be plentiful in a shortage. Guess I am qualified to be a TV weatherman.

The magazine capacity limit did not cross my mind; that is something to consider.

joshs
09-15-2013, 06:17 PM

Assuming you owned the magazines for your M&P 9s before July 1 of this year, why don't you think you can take them to Colorado?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Tamara
09-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Assuming you owned the magazines for your M&P 9s before July 1 of this year, why don't you think you can take them to Colorado?

I know that; but I don't happen to have any receipts handy.

I'd just rather avoid the possibility of any Imperial entanglements as best as possible; 15-rd magazines are one less potential hangup.

Tamara
09-15-2013, 06:32 PM
I'm beginning to think you are beyond redemption. :(

It has a wretched trigger... just wretched. :p

BCL
09-15-2013, 09:04 PM

I'd just rather avoid the possibility of any Imperial entanglements as best as possible; 15-rd magazines are one less potential hangup.

Also, doesn't Colorado's magazine law state something along the lines of "any magazine that has, or can be made to have, a greater than 15rd magazine capacity"?

If it does, then wouldn't an M&P357 still technically be illegal due to Arredondo/Mec-Gar/Taylor Freelance mag extensions on the market?

I could be way off base here, it's been quite a while since I read the bill.

Tamara
09-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Also, doesn't Colorado's magazine law state something along the lines of "any magazine that has, or can be made to have, a greater than 15rd magazine capacity"?

If it does, then wouldn't an M&P357 still technically be illegal due to Arredondo/Mec-Gar/Taylor Freelance mag extensions on the market?

You know, you're right. Maybe I'll be doing a face-plant off a Crown Vic hood as soon as I cross the state line? I'm going as reasonably far as I can to comply with their stupid-ass law, and you guys can carry whatever mags you want in Colorado. Five, fifteen, fifty, bought before July 1st or after Octember 40th; get down with your bad selves.

Chuck Haggard
09-15-2013, 11:43 PM
May be time to break out the wheelguns......

I had to deal with such sillyness on one occasion, trip to NJ a few years ago. Took my then new G19 to comply with the 15 round mag limit, and had to scrounge up some 124gr +P EFMJ for it, I carried my 638 as a BUG loaded with wadcutters.

But yeah, on the original theme, I am going to pick up a .357 barrel for my G23, it obviously fires .40 already, and works really well as a 9mm with the converstion barrel I got with the gun. I didn't plan on keeping that gun when I traded into it as part of a package deal, but the idea of a three caliber pistol is growing on me.

BLR
09-16-2013, 07:25 AM
I agree, Tam.

Get that S&W HD out. Nothing soulless about that people popper!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

joshs
09-16-2013, 08:08 AM

The AG interpreted the provision to mean a magazine that can hold more than 15 rounds in its current configuration. He specifically addressed removable floor plate magazines in the opinion.

joshs
09-16-2013, 08:13 AM

That's certainly a safer way to ensure no unwanted attention from the organs of the state. The magazine ban does place the burden of proving the magazines were not purchased before July 1, 2013 on the prosecution. Many have said that this effectively makes the ban unenforceable unless someone carries a 15+ magazine with a date code of later than the effective date.

BCL
09-16-2013, 09:09 AM
The AG interpreted the provision to mean a magazine that can hold more than 15 rounds in its current configuration. He specifically addressed removable floor plate magazines in the opinion.

Good to know. If I ever travel to Colorado it's nice to have some options.

Tamara
09-16-2013, 09:48 AM
I agree, Tam.

Get that S&W HD out. Nothing soulless about that people popper!

How about I carry a plastic fifteen-shooter for self defense and a glossy 8"x10" of my .38-44 Heavy Duty for impressing people with my taste in firearms? ;)

Josh Runkle
09-16-2013, 11:46 AM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

I'm not a Colorado resident, and haven't read the existing laws, but I did read tons of articles about it as it was happening. I thought that the new law didn't allow for importation of new mags that were made before the ban into the state. IE: you couldn't order mags made last year and have them shipped to your house. I would assume that old mags that are over 15 rounds but aren't currently in the state would not be allowed to be brought into the state.

joshs
09-16-2013, 12:12 PM
I'm not a Colorado resident, and haven't read the existing laws, but I did read tons of articles about it as it was happening. I thought that the new law didn't allow for importation of new mags that were made before the ban into the state. IE: you couldn't order mags made last year and have them shipped to your house. I would assume that old mags that are over 15 rounds but aren't currently in the state would not be allowed to be brought into the state.

13-1224 as passed applied to sale, transfer, or possession, not importation.

Josh Runkle
09-16-2013, 12:13 PM
13-1224 as passed applied to sale, transfer, or possession, not importation.

Cool. Good to know.

SecondsCount
09-16-2013, 03:18 PM
As long as you stay away from Boulder and Denver then you should be fine.

BLR
09-16-2013, 03:29 PM
How about I carry a plastic fifteen-shooter for self defense and a glossy 8"x10" of my .38-44 Heavy Duty for impressing people with my taste in firearms? ;)

So sad. So, so sad.

Tamara
09-16-2013, 04:07 PM
As long as you stay away from Boulder and Denver then you should be fine.

Won't be going anywhere near 'em.

NETim
09-16-2013, 04:37 PM

You are one of them thar NRA gun pushers, aren't you?

:)

Fortunately, I have all the guns I need. Well, 'cept for maybe a .45 ACP revo. A 25-2 would be cool. And a Model of 1989. Another 18 would fit in the vault too. And sometimes I have a hankerin' for a 9mm 1911.

But I am resistant to the ways of the gun pushers.

Seriously though, all you need is a balcony and a double barrel.

WDW
09-16-2013, 04:49 PM
It has a wretched trigger... just wretched. :p

I had one of the first M&P .357's back when they first came out. You're right, the triggers are truly abysmal!!!! For some reason I still really liked that gun though?????