PDA

View Full Version : H2 buffer

BoppaBear
09-14-2013, 08:16 PM
Ordered an H2 for my 14.5" middy (pinned comp for 16..." OAL). I'll be running the rifle in a course next month, but will be going out to check zero on the rifle (new barrel and comp) and function, prior to the course.

The pre-course sessions will be slow fire due to local range restrictions. Anything I should look for as far as reliability issues? Obviously FTE's are one, as is failure to lock the bolt back. How about weak or erratic ejections?

The gun smith shot the rifle after putting on the new barrel and pinning/welding the comp, and it locked back fine.

ffhounddog
09-14-2013, 08:57 PM
On the Rifle, just make sure that it is locking back with the ammo you are planning to use. Also just make sure it runs well for a few rounds and to confirm zero. Lube is your friend.

ST911
09-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Depends on how much gas it's getting. You may find that a mid-length with lighter .223 ammo is dangerously close to functional threshold with H and H2 buffers. Test firing for function is a good idea. Try to do so when the gun is hot, dirty, and lube is starting to burn off.

BoppaBear
09-15-2013, 07:15 AM
Thanks guys. I definitely intend to test it some, and will take the standard buffer with me to the class also.

I've got an H on the way too, just to play around with the different set-ups.

joshs
09-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Depending on the ammo you plan on using, you may need a carbine buffer due to the reduced dwell of the 14.5 mid-length.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

BoppaBear
09-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Depending on the ammo you plan on using, you may need a carbine buffer due to the reduced dwell of the 14.5 mid-length.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be running lower power ammo (55gr primarily for range and courses), which may cause issues. I have someone that wants the H2 if it doesn't run in my rifle properly. I've got 62 gr, but it's M855, and ranges in my areas won't allow it.

I'm relatively new to ARs, so I'm just trying to figure out what makes mine run and not run, and maybe run a little better. The buffer in the rifle has less than 700 rounds through it, so I'll definitely hold onto that one just in case.

At the end of the day, changing up the buffers is pure curiosity on my part. The rifle runs well as is. I'm just curious. If the H and H2 both work, then I'll have back-up buffers if needed in the future.

TGS
09-15-2013, 01:36 PM
My 14.5" BCM Middy with an H buffer will not reliably run low power ammo (power levels you find with the Russian stuff). I see no reason for the H2 with a Middy, it's kinda just overcompensating the buffer system for no real benefit while asking for trouble.

If you were going to run an H2, I'd stick to quality 5.56 rounds. I had a buddy who could get away with an H3 on his middy, but just because you can doesn't mean you should, ya know? No point in operating the weapon on the cusp of functionality.

Clusterfrack
09-15-2013, 01:39 PM
My BCM 14.5" mid runs well with an H buffer and yields a perfect ejection pattern (see below) using 5.56 pressure loads. Suppressed, the same upper runs well with an H2 or H3. I don't see the point of going with a heavier buffer than needed.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/16/6u3uny5u.jpg

rob_s
09-16-2013, 05:28 AM
My BCM 14.5" mid runs well with an H buffer and yields a perfect ejection pattern (see below) using 5.56 pressure loads. Suppressed, the same upper runs well with an H2 or H3. I don't see the point of going with a heavier buffer than needed.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/16/6u3uny5u.jpg

Don't do that. That graphic is as useless as this one

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s133/HRW4936/B3TargetAnalysisChartCorrectRH.jpg

Jay Cunningham
09-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Don't do that. That graphic is as useless as this one

Agreed. There's no "mil-spec" ejection angle in the TDP.

lolz

BoppaBear
09-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I've got an H and H2 On the way from BCM. I'll compare to how the standard works, and just experiment a little. Based on what I've read, I'll try the H2, but knowing it very well may be overkill. I have a buddy with a "pig" that wants it, so no loss.

I definitely don't want to cause reliability issues.

The only reason I even thought about experimenting a little, is due to switching out the barrel and comp. This said, I'm sure it's going to run fine with the standard.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/17/narybe7a.jpg

Clusterfrack
09-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Clearly you are going to get a range of advice. I suggest doing a search over at m4carbine on this topic.

BoppaBear
09-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Shot the rifle with the new barrel and comp today. Just zeroing before a course.

I Put the H buffer in, and had no issues at all. It was ejecting at 4 o'clock consistently, and the bolt locked back with the same "feeling" as it did with then16" barrel and standard buffer. I watched my buddy shoot it, and it didn't appear to be short stroking.

All this was with regular old .223 range ammo...either PMC or Independence...all 55gr.

I may test the H2 to fulfill my curiosity, but plan to stock with the H.

JMS
09-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Yeah, you're likely fine with an H for "normal" ammo, and a CAR in the event that lower-pressure stuff might cause it to choke. My own BCM 14.5 (pinned) middy ate Wolf and other lo-press stuff okay with an H at more than one WSEG event where it'd get a mag of brass cased ammo, then steel, then brass again, mixed up like M&Ms in a bag. Usually, that's not desirable, but hey...the ASP fed the guns from whatever box of donated ammo was open at the time. Something like 3 separate iterations of 1300 wildly mixed rounds in a 6-8hr period, and mine wasn't the only one there...there was never less than 12 similar configurations, all getting the same treatment. But, I was also lubing the thing aong the way, and had a CAR buffer (and a spare gun) on-hand, just in case; Murphy was an optimist.

It's a pretty solid bet that the H will be your go-to; I've seen PMC cause some middy-users some wrinkles (Bronze, not X-Tac), though my own ate it fine.

RE: That USA Today ejection pie chart....

It needs a malfunctioning gun to be of any worth. Then, it can help narrow the search for cause. Absent that key prerequisite...well, it's got pretty colors.

Jay, what would it take for you to come up with an ejection-pattern chart for AKs? Is "everywhere outside the action = perfect ejection" a pattern? ;)