PDA

View Full Version : When Did You "Cross Over"?

GardoneVT
09-07-2013, 07:35 PM
No ,today we shall not be discussing changing from iPhone to Android.

Rather we come to a more serious ,yet mentally powerfull topic.When was the point where you as a shooter transitioned your mindset from "acquire hardware ,and buy parts to enhance shooting capability" to "perfect your personal ability via extensive practice"?

Ill begin by offering.my own.story.At first ,I was horse trading guns like nobodys business.If I made a 4" pattern at 7 yards with gun A and 3" with Gun B,then Gun B won.That all ended when I had my first close call with a criminal attempt on my life.I realized that my CCW preparedness was akin to a kid with a Mustang V6 equipped with V8 badges.All show,and no mental go.

Ever since then I've been turning to the better path offered here.While I've got a loong way to go,I can't wait until my summer college semester ends and I can allocate the time to take some handgun classes.

What say you all?

will_1400
09-08-2013, 12:54 AM
To answer the first question, I have yet to drink the Apple flavor-aid and have no intention of doing so. :cool:

As for the second, back on Todd's old site Calibers (9x19mm.com), I posted a question as to what pistol I should get since I was doing early research for my first weapon. Todd came back with a response that was a bit snarky, but it helped hammer home the point that good training is the basis for everything else and supersedes any little whiz-bang gadget one can buy (unless you're talking about THE Gadget, that is; that dwarven-forged adamantium artifact is a very helpful tool in not shooting oneself when re-holstering a Glock).

Suvorov
09-08-2013, 01:21 AM
I never really crossed over per say. My first handgun was a High Power that I really sucked with. Didn't know why, just new I was a bad pistol shot. I thought maybe I needed another pistol at times, but was too poor to do anything about it. I was in ROTC at the time and was fortunate enough to have a SFC from a HSLD unit assigned to my BN who utilized our range on campus to teach us cadets pistol marksmanship. He worked (and worked) with me and before long, shooting over 500 rnds of 22lr a week, I learned how to shoot a pistol straight. Since I was going into the Army, I decided to buy and mostly shoot a Beretta since that would be the pistol I would most likely go into harms way with. Given this route, I never really fell into the trap of thinking that the equipment made the shooter.

Along the way, I have purchased many different pistols in part because I like variety and because I have a sick need to collect "things", but never with the idea that they would make me a better shot.

Nephrology
09-08-2013, 08:04 AM
After my first IPSC match.

TNK
09-08-2013, 09:15 AM
That's a good question. I remain a student of the pistol. I am always "crossing over." There is always something new to learn. There is always something new to rehearse. It is a process I still enjoy despite the fact I have been doing it for 25 years.

NETim
09-08-2013, 11:08 AM
I learned early on in the trapshooting game that equipment doesn't equal skill.

I broke more 100 straights with my trusty old Remmy 1100 Trap than any other gun. As long as it goes bang and shoots to the same POI each time, then that's all that's required.

Skill can't be purchased. It has to be developed through hard work.

Having said that, I've dropped waaay more $$$ into my SD guns than I ever have on my trap guns. :)

Totem Polar
09-08-2013, 11:23 AM
College. That's when I first started teaching martial arts (as opposed to just going as a student) and when I took my first pro firearms class (as opposed to just plinking, hunting and reading Jan Libourel articles in gun magazines). Having to answer other's questions primed the pump in the former context, having a good instructor in the second flipped the switch.

JV_
09-08-2013, 11:27 AM
When was the point where you as a shooter transitioned your mindset from "acquire hardware ,and buy parts to enhance shooting capability" to "perfect your personal ability via extensive practice"?

Why do you have to move from one to the other? I still practice to improve, but if switching gear will help me learn/reinforce a specific skill, I will switch.

For me, shooting is a hobby. Switching gear is a great way for me to keep my interests elevated, and prevents burn-out.

fixer
09-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Rather we come to a more serious ,yet mentally powerfull topic.When was the point where you as a shooter transitioned your mindset from "acquire hardware ,and buy parts to enhance shooting capability" to "perfect your personal ability via extensive practice"?

I'm still in a transition phase. I'm vigorously evaluating two different types of platforms for concerted use and training. The problem is that it is taking forever. I'm in my own way here.

Ill begin by offering.my own.story.At first ,I was horse trading guns like nobodys business.If I made a 4" pattern at 7 yards with gun A and 3" with Gun B,then Gun B won.That all ended when I had my first close call with a criminal attempt on my life.I realized that my CCW preparedness was akin to a kid with a Mustang V6 equipped with V8 badges.All show,and no mental go.

Would love to hear the details on this. PM me (if you feel like it) so I don't derail this thread.

Ever since then I've been turning to the better path offered here.

This site is a jewel of knowledge and experience.