PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show Today

NETim
09-07-2013, 10:09 AM
The club's Fall gun show is this weekend. I work front door security this afternoon. Fortunately the doors are open only during the first hour of my shift. Only an hour of muzzles in my face. :) The last three hours I can relax.

I plan on being rude and pushing any and all guns away from me, forcibly if necessary. I'm tired of it. I continually campaign for the prominent posting of the 4 Rules at the front door as a reminder but thus far it hasn't happened. Not that I believe it would have a major impact, but it couldn't hurt.

Wish me luck.

ST911
09-07-2013, 10:31 AM
At such moments, I'm fond of simply announcing, "please don't point that gun at me, Sir!" as I side step. Loud enough to draw notice, and hopefully a little embarrassment on the part of the bearer.

UNK
09-07-2013, 10:54 AM
At such moments, I'm fond of simply announcing, "please don't point that gun at me, Sir!" as I side step. Loud enough to draw notice, and hopefully a little embarrassment on the part of the bearer.

Great plan...perhaps a little drama added arm sweep to get the muzzle off of you now wouldn't hurt. I spent 4 years in the military and saw only 1 negligent discharge. A bunch of guys running around with loaded weapons never concerned me...every place open to the public with firearms as the central point gives me great concern...Good luck I hope you have a safe day.

Tamara
09-07-2013, 01:08 PM
...hopefully a little embarrassment on the part of the bearer.

What's appalling is how few are embarrassed and how many cop a 'tude and insist it wasn't loaded or they weren't muzzling you or accuse you of overreacting. :(

Dagga Boy
09-07-2013, 01:29 PM
What's appalling is how few are embarrassed and how many cop a 'tude and insist it wasn't loaded or they weren't muzzling you or accuse you of overreacting. :(

That has been my experience as well. Since we have so many folks changing the safety rules to "know the condition of your weapon" as opposed to assuming that they are loaded, the "it's unloaded" is now totally cool, and fairly high speed.

SecondsCount
09-07-2013, 03:35 PM
The club's Fall gun show is this weekend. I work front door security this afternoon. Fortunately the doors are open only during the first hour of my shift. Only an hour of muzzles in my face. :) The last three hours I can relax.

I plan on being rude and pushing any and all guns away from me, forcibly if necessary. I'm tired of it. I continually campaign for the prominent posting of the 4 Rules at the front door as a reminder but thus far it hasn't happened. Not that I believe it would have a major impact, but it couldn't hurt.

Wish me luck.

I like that idea. As someone who volunteers as a range officer on a public range, I have gotten muzzle swept several times. Every time it happens the individual who sweeps me gets asked to watch their muzzle. A couple times I have seen their friends jab them pretty hard about it.

jc000
09-07-2013, 06:09 PM
I was at the range the other day waiting for a lane, when another person sat near me and placed a long gun in a soft case down, pointing in my direction.

I'm sure it was not purposeful, and I know the gun was "cased" but I was very tempted to say something about pointing it away. Would that have been appropriate or overreacting?

nalesq
09-07-2013, 08:47 PM
I was at the range the other day waiting for a lane, when another person sat near me and placed a long gun in a soft case down, pointing in my direction.

I'm sure it was not purposeful, and I know the gun was "cased" but I was very tempted to say something about pointing it away. Would that have been appropriate or overreacting?

If the case renders the weapon's trigger inaccessible for pressing, then as a general rule I wouldn't worry about it, much the same way I generally don't worry about a holstered pistol pointing at myself at various times.

Tamara
09-07-2013, 08:59 PM
If the case renders the weapon's trigger inaccessible for pressing, then as a general rule I wouldn't worry about it, much the same way I generally don't worry about a holstered pistol pointing at myself at various times.

This. I might get a little skittish if it was a knit "gun sock", but a canvas or padded nylon soft case is unlikely to get me ducking.

Tamara
09-07-2013, 09:04 PM
FWIW, Personal Gun Show Pet Peeve: The way, once the zip tie goes on, what little muzzle discipline Cletus had goes right out the window. "Hey, Zippy, it's still a gun. Mind your manners; it's good practice."

(At the local gun show, the Indy 1500, they have uniformed IMPD handling the zip-tying at the safety table inside the door. I make it a point to come in with the slide already locked back on my heater, mag out, and pass it to the officer muzzle straight down at the table and butt towards him. A depressing amount of the time, the muzzle pivots up toward my tummy as soon as he's got the gun in his hand. Et tu, officer? :( )

TCinVA
09-07-2013, 09:22 PM
I haven't been to a gunshow since I got bayonetted in the face with a Mauser a while ago.

Kyle Reese
09-07-2013, 09:31 PM
I haven't been to a gunshow since I got bayonetted in the face with a Mauser a while ago.

You still have great hair.::D

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

ST911
09-08-2013, 08:48 AM
Great plan...perhaps a little drama added arm sweep to get the muzzle off of you now wouldn't hurt. I spent 4 years in the military and saw only 1 negligent discharge. A bunch of guys running around with loaded weapons never concerned me...every place open to the public with firearms as the central point gives me great concern...Good luck I hope you have a safe day.

Looking back, almost all of the ND incidents I've seen or investigated have involved military or LE personnel. They certainly owned the ones involving injury, serious property damage, and bad press.

Winner!

Drang
09-14-2013, 08:30 PM
Pfft. I was assisting with an NRA Home Firearms Safety class in Portland once, and the other instructor muzzled THE WHOLE CLASS!

TWICE!!!

If HH6 hadn't been in the other part of the building team-teaching a Refuse To Be A Victim class, I'd've been on my way north ASAP.

Chuck Haggard
09-14-2013, 09:45 PM
Serious cases get my "what is an Agg. Assault" speech and a note that next time they point a gun at me might result in rather dire consequences.

The very worst offenders I have run in to have been .mil, too used to "no brass, no ammo" mentality.

David Armstrong
09-15-2013, 02:15 PM
That was my usual response, or something close to it, when I used to work the door. Say it loud enough and often enough and it seems to have some effect on others standing in line. I also stole a march from another officer who confiscated any rounds found in a gun when it was given to him. He kept them in a large glass jar next to him at the check-in table.

GardoneVT
09-15-2013, 03:28 PM
Are the Four Rules derived from Latin?

I ask because I seem to be the only local gun owner who follows them.

My personal tales of woe:
Calling out a friend for lax muzzle discipline.
"Chill out dude,it's unloaded!" Was the response.His father in law didn't see it that way when he negligently pointed the same weapon at his then fiancess head.