PDA

View Full Version : AAR: Progressive FORCE Concepts – TIDE - 8/25/13

Shellback
09-06-2013, 08:04 PM
http://imageshack.us/a/img856/6679/c9on.jpg

INSTRUCTOR: Our lead instructor was Brian Hartman of PFC. He was assisted by Mike Barnhart, also from PFC. Their respective bios are on PFC’s website here (http://www.pfctraining.com/default.aspx/MenuItemID/124/MenuGroup/Home.htm). Brian and Mike are both great instructors with a wealth of knowledge that they deliver in a very effective manner.

MEAT & POTATOES: Be first, be smarter or cheat! I’ve attended multiple classes with PFC and each time I come away with new and important technical information pertaining to laws, mindset, hard skills, diagnostic tuning and a ton of other good info that gets the gears spinning.

Brian kicked off the day with an information packed lecture session that lasted almost 4 hours. That may seem like a lot of seat time for some but I think he did an outstanding job presenting the material and I’d sit through it again without hesitation.

Some of the subject matter consisted of defining commonly used terms and vernacular that is part of the “gun community” such as deadly force, reasonable standards, self-defense and exigent circumstances. He also covered the 4 pre-conditions of force implementation, which are Ability, Opportunity, Jeopardy (imminent) and Preclusion.

Could VS Should. Brian discussed the different “battles” one can expect to face from the actual incident to the civil and criminal trials that will occur after a shooting incident. He also covered the escalation of force, hardpoint considerations and the principles of indoor combat.

The 2nd half of the day we got to the fun stuff… Brian and Mike demonstrated all of the appropriate drills. They were walked through step-by-step and progressed in a linear fashion building off of one another. We worked on point split, bypass, underpass and blocking for dealing with open doors. We drilled on closed doors and how to deal with several common issues.

We performed contact drills and discussed the different types of rooms i.e. left, right and center fed. We discussed intersections like T’s, L&R and 4 ways.

Always split the door! The day culminated in us going through the mock up indoor structure using UTM training munitions and blasting targets utilizing the skills & drills we’d learned throughout the day.

OVERVIEW: Obviously I’m missing quite a bit of info but I hope this gives people a good idea of what a great class this was, from beginning to end. It helped answer a lot of questions that I had pertaining to a home invasion type scenario and how to deal with the potential problems. It helped dispel a lot of the “tactical type” structure clearing myths that pervade the gun community and our culture as a whole. Definitely one of the best classes I’ve attended thus far and I would highly recommend this class without reservation.

http://youtu.be/jrwkEadirLg

You are going to get shot.
If you get shot, he’d better get shot a lot.
You must be decisive, aggressive & ruthless.