PDA

View Full Version : Say wuh? Wait a...really? You're effin with me?? Arrest you with empty casings??

BaiHu
09-05-2013, 12:52 PM
D.C. cops under orders to arrest tourists with empty bullet casings

Washington police are operating under orders to arrest tourists and other non-residents traveling with spent bullet or shotgun casings, a crime that carries a $1,000 fine, a year in jail and a criminal record, according to a new book about the city's confusing gun laws.

"Empty shell casings are considered ammunition in Washington, D.C., so they are illegal to possess unless you are a resident and have a gun registration certificate," pens Emily Miller in her investigative book, "Emily Gets Her Gun: ... But Obama Wants to Take Yours."

Under the law, live or empty brass and plastic casings must be carried in a special container and unavailable to drivers. Having one, for example, in a cup holder or ash tray is illegal.

She told Secrets that the police are "under orders to arrest tourists or other legal gun owners from out of state who wouldn't think to empty brass and plastic from their cars or pockets."

http://washingtonexaminer.com/warning-d.c.-cops-under-orders-to-arrest-tourists-with-empty-bullet-casings/article/2535216

I haz the sadz and now my hedziz soar :(

JV_
09-05-2013, 12:53 PM
I have a few rolling around on my floor mat, they get stuck in my shoes on the range. I really should clean it out in case I'm forced to go to DC for work.

Chuck Haggard
09-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Just an incredible level of scumbaggery on that part of whoever gave that order.

I would have to refuse that one because it is obviously an illegal order.

CCT125US
09-05-2013, 12:56 PM
What a great idea. Wonder when sumdood will get the idea to sprinkle spent cases inside all the open car windows in the city...... that would be bad.

Chuck Haggard
09-05-2013, 01:07 PM
I wonder if they are going to arrest people with those cartridge key chains as well.

My dad had a couple of bullets lodged in him that they didn't bother to dig out, good thing he never had to go to DC.

BaiHu
09-05-2013, 01:10 PM
What a great idea. Wonder when sumdood will get the idea to sprinkle spent cases inside all the open car windows in the city...... that would be bad.

Wait, ya mean they don't understand the law of unintended consequences in DC? :p

EricP
09-05-2013, 04:41 PM
Massachusetts has a similar law in that you need a firearms license to possess reloading components. They consider empty casings reloading components.

A Massachusetts resident must have a valid firearms license to possess ammunition. There's a twist... Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 140 Section 122 defines ammunition as:

"cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun"
In other words, you must have a firearms license to even possess an ammunition component.

I learned that after visiting a friend there while having ammo rolling around in my cup holder and a bag of about a thousand spent casings on the floor. I don't go to Mass. anymore.

Kyle Reese
09-05-2013, 04:44 PM
I wonder if they are going to arrest people with those cartridge key chains as well.

My dad had a couple of bullets lodged in him that they didn't bother to dig out, good thing he never had to go to DC.

I wouldn't put it past them...

Tamara
09-05-2013, 05:33 PM
I haz the sadz and now my hedziz soar :(

You know that it's illegal to possess spent brass in Massachusetts without a valid FID card, right?

“Ammunition”, cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun. The term “ammunition” shall also mean tear gas cartridges, chemical mace or any device or instrument which contains or emits a liquid, gas, powder or any other substance designed to incapacitate. (https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section121)

Dagga Boy
09-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Shhhhhhhhhh..........don't give California and Illinois any ideas.

Most of the areas outside the major cities in Texas, I think the cops would ask "what kind of loader ya'll usin".

SeriousStudent
09-05-2013, 10:39 PM
I'm glad that Arlington National Cemetery is in Virginia, and not DC.

In the past, I served as NCOIC on the firing detail for 21-gun salutes at military funerals. It was very common for relatives to ask us for the empty brass from the salute, so much so that we usually just collected it in a plastic bag and had it ready for them. That was in California many years ago.

I have an incredibly difficult time imagining any peace officer willingly citing a bereaved family with 5.56 brass from a loved one's funeral. But I'd be will to contribute to their legal defense fund if it happened.

After I prayed for their fallen warrior.

Suvorov
09-05-2013, 11:10 PM
Mexico does the same thing.

I guess DC has finally achieved 3rd World "Banana Republic" status. :rolleyes:

Tamara
09-05-2013, 11:31 PM
I guess DC has finally achieved 3rd World "Banana Republic" status. :rolleyes:

"Finally"?

This has been the law in DC for pretty much all of Emily Miller's life. In the words of the great philosopher, "Welcome to the party, pal!" ;)

Suvorov
09-05-2013, 11:34 PM
"Finally"?

This has been the law in DC for pretty much all of Emily Miller's life. In the words of the great philosopher, "Welcome to the party, pal!" ;)

Point taken. :o

And mega bonus points for the fellow Beretta loving John McClane reference!

MDS
09-06-2013, 01:21 AM
Mexico does the same thing.

I guess DC has finally achieved 3rd World "Bananas Republic" status. :rolleyes:

Fixed it for you. Mad, crazy, loony bananas.

Slavex
09-06-2013, 01:55 AM
Mexico does it even if you have valid permits issued by their Government, with you, in triplicate. Ask me how I know.

Chuck Haggard
09-06-2013, 03:17 AM
I'm glad that Arlington National Cemetery is in Virginia, and not DC.

In the past, I served as NCOIC on the firing detail for 21-gun salutes at military funerals. It was very common for relatives to ask us for the empty brass from the salute, so much so that we usually just collected it in a plastic bag and had it ready for them. That was in California many years ago.

I have an incredibly difficult time imagining any peace officer willingly citing a bereaved family with 5.56 brass from a loved one's funeral. But I'd be will to contribute to their legal defense fund if it happened.

After I prayed for their fallen warrior.

Not that I had the volume of busy that you had, (thankfully) but we always policed the brass because the family typically wanted some, and when we folded the flag there was three pieces of brass folded in with it.

What an awesome thing to get arrested for.

PPGMD
09-06-2013, 04:19 AM

Having them do that would be the best thing to happen for citizenship. As nothing gets the general public up in arms like going after the family of a wounded or dead solider. Frankly the public may moan about them doing it to random citizens, but typically nothing happens to get the situation fixed, but the moment they screw with a wounded warrior Congress actually does something.

ACP230
09-06-2013, 07:55 AM
We gave my daughter our old Mercury Villager. She named it "Vera" and ran it over 300,000 miles.
When she finally had to junk it she found cases, a couple of .38 reloads, and a 20 gauge shotgun shell in it.
I always told her not to drive it into Canada. Should have included DC in that warning.

It's not just stupidity it's malicious stupidity in Mordor-like areas like Chicago, Mass and DC.

Slavex
09-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Your daughter would have been fine entering Canada with that car, worst case they would have thrown the cases out.

ADulay
09-08-2013, 12:50 PM
And just when you think things can't get any weirder in DC.

I think every vehicle I own has a few spent casings in the back or on the floor. Even the motorcycle has a few in the tank bag.

If you shoot a lot and have different bags for guns, you just can't help it.

Luckily I haven't had any desire to return to DC once I did my visit to "The Wall".

AD

jar
09-09-2013, 10:38 AM
Note to self, take the fiancee's car if we ever go to DC. We used my car for live fire in VCAST 2 years ago and I'm still finding brass.

ford.304
09-09-2013, 11:20 AM
"Finally"?

Indeed. It's been really interesting watching her descent into the wonderland of gun laws she previously had no reason to know were so ridiculous. She's making a career for herself doing it, and bringing a lot of good attention to the cause in outlets that don't normally see second amendment issues. Win-win situation in my opinion, as long as she keeps educating herself and doesn't try to sound like more of an expert than she is.

justintime
09-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Shhhhhhhhhh..........don't give California and Illinois any ideas.

Most of the areas outside the major cities in Texas, I think the cops would ask "what kind of loader ya'll usin".

I went through the falfurius check station after doing a ton of shooting at the ranch in the rain/mud. A lot of the casings were stuck on the trucks step-up boards. The boarder patrol asked if I had a good time shooting and let me on my way :o

DocGKR
09-09-2013, 12:36 PM
As it should be.