PDA

View Full Version : Brits

jslaker
05-19-2011, 07:45 PM
So, I was just at my LGS browsing a bit after finishing up a practice session, and I notice that all 6 or 7 employees working have gathered behind a single counter. Then I notice that a group of 3 or 4 men on the other side of that counter are wearing bright blue and red uniforms with GREAT BRITAIN emblazoned across the back.

Turns out they were members of the UK's national shooting team.

The social dynamic of them complaining about having to travel outside the UK in order to practice thanks to their country's asinine gun laws combined with the gun store employees gleefully working their way up from 1911s to 1911s with Crimson Trace grips to AKs, AR15s, and SCARs along with the accompanying "Holy shit, you can own this?" going on was one of the more hilarious things I've witnessed recently.

Then one of the guys behind the counter pointed out the Armalite AR-50 .50 BMG on another counter to them.

http://www.ammoland.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/ArmaLite-Ar-50A1-Rifle.jpg

I don't know that there's a more textbook definition of culture shock.

Kyle Reese
05-19-2011, 08:09 PM
It's similar to when German relatives visit in the USA. Around 2003/2004, my cousin came over to visit.

We went to Bass Pro one sunny Saturday morning, and I proceed to pile the cart high with WWB 9mm FMJ ammo, as well as assorted marinades. He was shocked that you could just buy ammunition like that with just a driver's license.

I turned him into a bona fide gun nut, and he's saving up for a P30 over in Germany now.

I feel for the shooting community in the UK. We complain about stuff here, but even a state like Maryland is a gun owner's dream compared to the UK or most of Europe.

Al T.
05-19-2011, 08:09 PM
Yup. Had a Brit who's daughter married a Air Force guy in the local GS sometime back. You would have thought we had a counter full of snakes the way he acted. :D

Which shop was it? I spent a lot of time in Columbus over the years...

Kyle Reese
05-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Interesting thing about the UK- I don't think pistols or semi auto rifles are banned per se, but they are classified as Section 5 firearms, meaning the Home Office must approve of you having them (which almost never happens). Manually operated rifles, semi auto rimfires and most shotguns are still legal, as well as suppressors.

jslaker
05-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Yup. Had a Brit who's daughter married a Air Force guy in the local GS sometime back. You would have thought we had a counter full of snakes the way he acted. :D

Which shop was it? I spent a lot of time in Columbus over the years...

Shooter's.

Not to drag things too far off-topic, but I'd actually stopped patronizing them for about a year and a half due to a combination of outrageous pricing (used guns priced at what street value for a new copy of the gun should be elsewhere, new guns often priced well above MSRP) and asinine policies (I always heard nightmare stories about using them for transfers - something like a high transfer fee plus a percentage of their cost if it was an item they could have ordered). It's generally been my impression that a lot of their business has traditionally come from soldiers passing through Ft. Benning - young and with entirely too much spending money on their hand.

I was pretty pleased to see when I went back recently that they've renovated the range and brought most of their pricing a little closer to sanity. Their pricing on premium brands like HK and SIG is still high for the most part, but their Glock and S&W pricing looked fairly reasonable to me.

dookie1481
05-19-2011, 11:14 PM
In Las Vegas, gun ranges are a massive draw for foreigners, most of them Brits.

These places are rolling in cash.

jslaker
05-20-2011, 07:21 AM
In Las Vegas, gun ranges are a massive draw for foreigners, most of them Brits.

These places are rolling in cash.

Yeah, I've taken visiting foreigners to the range before, and it's always a good time had by all involved. This was just unique in that it was causing a bit more of a ruckus than usual. :)

Al T.
05-20-2011, 08:04 AM
I was in Shooters a few years back. I agree with your comments. :D Back in the '80's, the hot gun store was in Phoenix City. Used to hit there most every Saturday. Can't recall the name, no range but good selection and prices.

Worked with some Brits overseas. I don't think they really believed me when I told them I was better armed at home than in a war zone.

Several locals are British immigrants. Seems like one of the first things the good ones do is get a gun or ten. :cool:

TGS
05-20-2011, 10:14 AM
It's great to be a citizen instead of a subject.

WDW
05-20-2011, 11:45 AM
I had a friend in the Air Force that was stationed in England. He is a big shooter, hunter and it killed him that he couldn't own guns and shoot like in the U.S. Go USA!!!!!

Pistol Shooter
05-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Pretty powerful evidence that we need to work the political system, join the NRA (and other gun rights groups) so we can continue to enjoy our 2nd Amendment rights.

If Mr. Obama gets a second term we gun lovers could have a rough ride. :mad:

Kyle Reese
05-21-2011, 04:51 PM
Every single lawful gun owner needs to be an NRA member. One can get an Associate Membership for $10 a year, about the cost of a box of 9mm FMJ at Walmart. For Christmas I get every single gun owner in my immediate family this membership, and I spend under $200 total.

Pretty powerful evidence that we need to work the political system, join the NRA (and other gun rights groups) so we can continue to enjoy our 2nd Amendment rights.

If Mr. Obama gets a second term we gun lovers could have a rough ride. :mad: