PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore County PD selects FN-FNS 40 LS

KeeFus
09-03-2013, 01:12 PM
http://www.tactical-life.com/exclusives/baltimore-county-police-department-adopts-fn-fns-40-ls-as-duty-pistol/

Kyle Reese
09-03-2013, 01:13 PM
I wonder if they got them for free, or next to nothing.....

ToddG
09-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Maryland LE agencies cannot sell their guns or trade them, so I'd be surprised if FN just donated that many guns for nothing.

Chuck Haggard
09-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Maryland LE agencies cannot sell their guns or trade them, .

Because guns are evil I guess?

GJM
09-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Caleb was making positive noises about this pistol a few weeks ago, and promised a review, which I haven't yet seen.

Maybe the first major department to have a pistol with standard Warren Sevigny sights!

BLR
09-03-2013, 01:50 PM
These are my favorite "modern" service pistol...assuming P220/226/228/229 aren't modern.

Don't know why they aren't gaining momentum, to be honest. They seem like a product improved M&P to my eye. Just sayin'

ffhounddog
09-03-2013, 02:04 PM
I like hte FNS. Also the recoil is pretty good for a 40sw. I do not know why either. I would own this gun if things were not hit and miss. Maybe I can get stuff at MD LE agencies later for it.

ToddG
09-03-2013, 02:19 PM
Maybe the first major department to have a pistol with standard Warren Sevigny sights!

Nope. ATF.

HCM
09-03-2013, 03:33 PM
Wasn't there an issue with trigger lock up / FT Fire on the FNS ? Any further word on this ?

MD7305
09-03-2013, 04:22 PM
When my department was looking to replace our duty guns I was put in contact with a kind gent from the Baltimore Count PD SRT/SWAT. At that time according to him their unit just adopted G35 G4s and the rest of the dept. was carrying 226Rs. If I remember correctly they were experiencing durability issues with their 226Rs, perhaps thats why they went FN across the dept. but thats purely wild speculation on my part.

We evaluated an FNS and I really liked it, especially the factory sights and trigger, but at that time there were reports flying around that the guns could lock up. We managed to make both of our samples lock up as well. With no response from FN we passed on them. I truly think the FNS is a great package if the kinks are worked out. I hope Baltimore County PD has great success with them and gives the platform some momentum.

tsf1225
09-03-2013, 07:34 PM
I purchased the FNS 9 about 5-6 months ago. The trigger lock up issue has supposedly been fixed by FN and mine does not have that problem. I am very pleased with it and it has been trouble free. It has a nice trigger, I like the safety and find it easy to flip off on the draw, the beveled mag well sucks in magazines, the grip is good and it's easy to get a nice purchase, I like the small beaver tail, it has consistent trouble free ejection, it's accurate, has slide serrations front and rear, the mag release is easy to use and the mags pop out positively, there is just a lot I like about it.

KeeFus
09-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Couple of things I thought of tonight.

-holsters. I checked Safariland and noticed they have listed holsters for the 4 inch barrel...Not the LS. I'm sure they could make 2000 of them, they're just not listed. Any guesses?

-finally, folks can get off USPSA's (and to a lesser degree Sevigny's/FNH's) back about the 2000 production units of this model. :rolleyes:

Tirofijo2001
09-03-2013, 10:02 PM
-finally, folks can get off USPSA's (and to a lesser degree Sevigny's/FNH's) back about the 2000 production units of this model. :rolleyes:

Nope. The production list is caliber specific. FN needs to sell some in 9mm.

Wait, is this even the same gun that Sevigny shot (but in a different caliber)?

Timbonez
09-03-2013, 11:22 PM
I really like FN pistols despite my limited experience with them. I have an FNX-45 FDE (only 650 rounds through it) and an FNS-9 (only 503 rounds through it). The FNS-9 has really impressed me so far, and may become my carry gun after I fire more ammo through it. I would really like to see FNH's pistols gain more traction and succeed in the firearms market. I think they are underrated and under advertised handguns, but time will only tell with respect to how they perform long term and if they are popular enough to remain a sustainable product in the FNH lineup.

Wasn't there an issue with trigger lock up / FT Fire on the FNS ? Any further word on this ?

The trigger lock-up you are referring to happens only if the pistol is put in a certain condition by the user. Basically the striker would have to be released, such as after pulling the trigger on an empty chamber (or possibly a failure to fire). Then the user would have to deliberately push the trigger forward, making it look as if it were ready to fire. At that point you can't rack the slide. Simply pulling the trigger again fixes the issue. Make sense? Pushing the trigger forward after pulling the trigger on an empty gun and then trying to rack the slide are a very specific set of criteria that have no affect on the normal operation of the pistol.

KeeFus
09-04-2013, 05:14 AM
Nope. The production list is caliber specific. FN needs to sell some in 9mm.

Wait, is this even the same gun that Sevigny shot (but in a different caliber)?

Good question. I think his is the 'Competition' model isn't it?

HCM
09-04-2013, 11:02 AM
I have handled the FNS and found much to like. This may cost me money .......

nwhpfan
09-07-2013, 05:01 PM

It is a shame for those involved who know better. A production legal gun must be available to the general public with 2000 made. Have they made 2000 FNS Long-slide 9mm pistols? Are they available to the general public..right now? If the answer to both isn't "yes" the gun is not allowed in USPSA production.(period).

But this is very cool a major PD has chosen an FNS. I believe Columbia SC PD did as well (but isn't FNH based there). The company that made (arguably) the greatest and most battle proven pistol of all time; the Browning Hi Power, the potential success of the FNS should not come as a surprise.

MEH
09-07-2013, 05:19 PM
It is a shame for those involved who know better. A production legal gun must be available to the general public with 2000 made. Have they made 2000 FNS Long-slide 9mm pistols? Are they available to the general public..right now? If the answer to both isn't "yes" the gun is not allowed in USPSA production.(period).

FN did the paperwork and answered "yes", therefore it's on the list. USPSA's stance evidently, is that they don't have to check up on whether the manufacturer told the truth.

KevH
09-09-2013, 10:57 AM
Couple of things I thought of tonight.

-holsters. I checked Safariland and noticed they have listed holsters for the 4 inch barrel...Not the LS. I'm sure they could make 2000 of them, they're just not listed. Any guesses?

If you order over 800 holsters from Safariland they'll make a new holster mold for you. At least that used to be the magic number. I'm sure if BPD orders enough holsters Safariland will make a mold for whatever gun or gun/light combo they want.