PDA

View Full Version : IDPA Match - Two Stage Questions

dustyvarmint
09-01-2013, 02:01 PM
I've been shooting IDPA for about a year and struggle with the order of target engagement by the rules.

Stage 1: What order do I engage the targets? It doesn't seem like the brief gives enough information to determine if I'm sitting in an open window and can see all the targets or I must slice the pie. It seems this might be straight Tactical Priority, but then it also seems like group T1/T3 and group T2/T4 are within 2 yards of each other so I can shoot each group in whatever order I want, i.e., T1/T3 -OR- T3/T1 and T4/T2 -OR- T2/T4.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp5435%3B%3Enu%3D3272%3E73%3B%3E8%3B8% 3EWSNRCG%3D394%3A%3C3%3C68532%3Anu0mrj

Stage 2: Again, what order do I engage the targets? The brief says to open the door and engage T3, but it seems that I'll see T2, first, then engage T3, T4 and T5 then, by slicing the pie from the left wall, engage T6, the popper in the upper right and then T7 by slicing back to the left.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp54367%3Enu%3D3272%3E73%3B%3E8%3B8%3E WSNRCG%3D394%3A%3C2%3A28232%3Anu0mrj

happy shooting, dv

ToddG
09-01-2013, 02:11 PM
First rule of IDPA: ask the SO how he wants it shot.
Second rule of IDPA: pray every SO tells every shooter the same thing.

FWIW, trying to figure out angles based on a sketch is, well, sketchy. It's how the crew actually sets up the stage that will determine which targets you see from which positions.

PPGMD
09-01-2013, 05:55 PM
FWIW, trying to figure out angles based on a sketch is, well, sketchy. It's how the crew actually sets up the stage that will determine which targets you see from which positions.

The match book is more like a guideline really. Sometimes you get lucky and the stage vaguely resembles the diagram. Other times the only thing the stage diagram, and the match stage have in common is the stage number.
:p

BN
09-01-2013, 07:01 PM
First rule of IDPA: ask the SO how he wants it shot.

What Todd said. :)

Stage One looks like you would shoot T-3, T-1, T-4, T-2, T-5 near to far. You will only know for sure when you see the stage and let the SO tell you how to shoot it. ;) Targets less than 2 yards difference in distance should be considered equal threat and could be shot in any order.

Stage 2 will probably be slice the pie shooting targets as you see them. It's hard to determine target order until you see the stage on the ground. Many stage design programs are hard to put on paper exactly what you want. Wait until the SO tells you how to shoot the stage. ;)

Don't be afraid to ask questions if you need to but avoid being "that guy". :)

dustyvarmint
09-09-2013, 06:19 PM
First rule of IDPA: ask the SO how he wants it shot. Second rule of IDPA: pray every SO tells every shooter the same thing.

That doesn't seem as popular, here, I guess, as in other areas. Don't get me wrong, everyone is great, but before a stage you are left to determine how to engage it, safely, of course.

happy shooting, dv

dustyvarmint
09-09-2013, 06:29 PM
What Todd said. :)

Stage One looks like you would shoot T-3, T-1, T-4, T-2, T-5 near to far. You will only know for sure when you see the stage and let the SO tell you how to shoot it. ;) Targets less than 2 yards difference in distance should be considered equal threat and could be shot in any order.

Stage 2 will probably be slice the pie shooting targets as you see them. It's hard to determine target order until you see the stage on the ground. Many stage design programs are hard to put on paper exactly what you want. Wait until the SO tells you how to shoot the stage. ;)

Don't be afraid to ask questions if you need to but avoid being "that guy". :)

Somehow I missed your post, darn-it, Bill.

I have learned to not be afraid to ask questions.

You are/were right on stage one.

Stage two ended up varying depending on how one opened the door which just makes me question how the procedure is written. If I open the door with my left hand and take cover to the left side (I did this) I could engage T2 right off and then T3 and T4 by proceeding around and slicing the pie. If I open the door with my left hand and take cover behind the right side I could engage T4 then T3, then T2. After that was T5, down the hallway to the popper to activate clam shell T6 and then to T7.

I did well on stage 1, requiring a 3rd head shot to T4 and jerked a lefty on the 4th shot to T5.

I did ok, no procedurals, on stage 2, but took sweet-arse time doing it. Should have pushed the envelope a little. The SO did say, "I liked that," which helped my confidence a bit.

happy shooting, dv

ToddG
09-09-2013, 08:47 PM
I did ok, no procedurals, on stage 2, but took sweet-arse time doing it. Should have pushed the envelope a little. The SO did say, "I liked that," which helped my confidence a bit.

"If the SO says you did a good job using cover, you shot too slow." -- Rob Haught, 2002 IDPA Nationals

dustyvarmint
09-10-2013, 06:22 AM
"If the SO says you did a good job using cover, you shot too slow." -- Rob Haught, 2002 IDPA Nationals

Good, relevant, appropriate quote and I agree.

Happy shooting, dv

Adam
09-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Here is my opinion someone will disagree with. :D

Stage 1:

If you are inside the tent, you shoot them nearest to farthest so 3, 1, 4, 2 then 5.

Stage 1:

Based on the angles I see it would be T1-T7 in that order. It says open door and engage T3, I believe it means T2 as it is at the end of the hallway in the open. Working the left side of the hallway you’ll hit T5 through the doorway, the T6 will be visible before T7 which will require moving to the right side of the hall or work that corner hard from the left side.

I agree with Todd, ask the RO.