PDA

View Full Version : Moving from CT to MN with guns - tips on where to stay halfway?

Nephrology
08-31-2013, 08:11 AM
Hi all-

so I am uprooting and moving to Rochester, MN (from southern CT) sometime before the end of September (currently waiting on a 3-letter government agency to disburse the research funds we applied for before I fix the date). I will be driving the way with most of my firearms in the trunk of my car. It's looking like my primary route will be I-80, if only because it will let me avoid driving through Chicago. I figure an extra hour or so out of the way is worth avoiding that city for multiple reasons.

Any recommended places along the way that I stop for the night? for food? etc. A buddy offered to come along as he's between jobs at the moment, so it should be kind of a fun trip (or as fun as ~19 hours of driving can be). Any cities that I should definitely NOT stop and spend the night in? Also, do troopers really enforce the posted speeding limit outside of new england? I am pretty used to being able to do ~85 in the left lane with impunity.

5pins
08-31-2013, 09:19 AM
Congratulations on getting out of here. Hopefully we will be getting out of here soon also. I would steer around Chicago also. When we moved here I went around NYC and glad I did even though it added about an hour to the drive.

JV_
08-31-2013, 11:04 AM
85 in VA will get you a reckless driving ticket.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

LittleLebowski
08-31-2013, 11:12 AM
I would not do more than 9 over in VA.

ToddG
08-31-2013, 11:24 AM
I would not do more than 9 over in VA.

Remind me to let you drive never.

LittleLebowski
08-31-2013, 11:29 AM
Remind me to let you drive never.

I don't like tickets.

ToddG
08-31-2013, 11:33 AM
I don't like tickets.

I haven't had a speeding ticket in about a decade.

Unlike you, I spend as much time as I can honing my awareness & avoidance skills, hand eye coordination, and spatial-temporal reasoning speed behind the wheel of a car. :cool:

LittleLebowski
08-31-2013, 12:25 PM
I haven't had a speeding ticket in about a decade.

Unlike you, I spend as much time as I can honing my awareness & avoidance skills, hand eye coordination, and spatial-temporal reasoning speed behind the wheel of a car. :cool:

Oh.....!MINDSET!

ToddG
08-31-2013, 12:48 PM
Oh.....!MINDSET!

Exactly. You have to take your training out of the square parking lot (or square racing oval).

Back to the OP's question: On a similar relocation trip from CT to MT in November 2008, a buddy and I were stopped on the Belt around Chicago. By an Illinois State Trooper. On Election Day. Just a few hours before Obama made his big acceptance speech from downtown. While carting tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition in a U-Haul trailer.

Thankfully, the buddy in question had a badge... and no one looked sideways at me, who may or may not have been in possession of a loaded M&P9.

YVK
08-31-2013, 02:44 PM
Not an advice you're looking for, but I would just drive through Chicago. I don't know how you drive breaks down time wise, but it might be more time effective to cross the city without getting off interstate. Obey speed limits, make sure guns are locked and unloaded etc. Have done this twice.

5pins
08-31-2013, 03:00 PM
Become familiar with the firearms owners protection act of 1986. This law allows you to transport your guns across state lines when traveling. New York City has a long history of ignoring this law, another good reason to avoid it. Stay the night in a gun friendly state. Know your rights and the law if you are pulled over.

One way to avoid Chicago would to be take a ferry from Michigan to Wisconsin.

My theory on speeding is, I can go as fast as I want as long as someone is passing me. Hell around here its suspicious if someone is not speeding.

GJM
08-31-2013, 03:18 PM
I would also make sure you are familiar with applicable CT law. As I recall, CT has a law that if you hold a carry permit and move, you have some crazy short time window to notify the state, with draconian penalties for failure to comply.

5pins
08-31-2013, 03:49 PM
I would also make sure you are familiar with applicable CT law. As I recall, CT has a law that if you hold a carry permit and move, you have some crazy short time window to notify the state, with draconian penalties for failure to comply.

You have 48 hours to notify the state of your new address. However if your moving out of the state who cares. Unless you come back and want to carry.

After I move I’m going to burn mine because I’m never coming back.

GJM
08-31-2013, 04:00 PM
You have 48 hours to notify the state of your new address. However if your moving out of the state who cares. Unless you come back and want to carry.

After I move I’m going to burn mine because I’m never coming back.

Unless failure to notify is a felony, regardless of where you are moving to.

5pins
08-31-2013, 06:17 PM
Unless failure to notify is a felony, regardless of where you are moving to.

It’s my understanding the penalty is a $2500.00 fine and revocation of permit. Even if it was a felony they are going to have a hard time enforcing their law if you a now a resident of another state. Anyway once I leave here I’m not bound by Connecticut’s laws anymore and they can kiss my a@@.

Nephrology
09-01-2013, 09:27 AM

My permit is still valid when I move out of state so I will plan on notifying them ASAP. It's not that hard -a 60 second email suffices.

Nephrology
09-01-2013, 09:29 AM
Exactly. You have to take your training out of the square parking lot (or square racing oval).

Back to the OP's question: On a similar relocation trip from CT to MT in November 2008, a buddy and I were stopped on the Belt around Chicago. By an Illinois State Trooper. On Election Day. Just a few hours before Obama made his big acceptance speech from downtown. While carting tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition in a U-Haul trailer.

Thankfully, the buddy in question had a badge... and no one looked sideways at me, who may or may not have been in possession of a loaded M&P9.

wow. I puckered right up just thinking about that. I will be planning on keeping all of my firearms locked up and unloaded except for our motel stay.

How did you break up the drive? Any suggestions for a city to stay for the night in Indiana or Ohio?

It’s my understanding the penalty is a $2500.00 fine and revocation of permit. Even if it was a felony they are going to have a hard time enforcing their law if you a now a resident of another state. Anyway once I leave here I’m not bound by Connecticut’s laws anymore and they can kiss my a@@.

I am planning on celebrating my move by buying a crapload of Glock 17 magazines.

ToddG
09-01-2013, 09:55 AM
How did you break up the drive? Any suggestions for a city to stay for the night in Indiana or Ohio?

The only things I recall are: (1) airsoft duels in the hotel room every night and (2) stopping once due to snow and getting snowed in within an hour forcing an unplanned overnight.

Mitchell, Esq.
09-01-2013, 11:11 AM
When is the send off pub crawl?

ST911
09-01-2013, 11:31 AM
Be neatly dressed, neatly groomed, and drive a car that is clean and in good repair. Have your paperwork organized and available without looking like you get stopped often. Make sure there are no warnings or cites from previous stops in your glove box if you do get stopped often. Keep your car devoid of obvious politics and hobbies. Be dull. With such preparation, traffic stops are brief, perfunctory events.

Quality of life in Rochester is good. The city and surrounding area offer a lot to do. Welcome to the good life.

GJM
09-01-2013, 11:54 AM

When we moved from CT, it was easy to convert a resident to non resident permit. In any event, the language about notification isn't friendly.

I had to find it, but here is what is posted at the state police licensing dept in Newington:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/image_zps89b954ab.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/image_zps89b954ab.jpg.html)

Skullybones
09-01-2013, 01:55 PM
At least you aren't driving with Marijuana plates on your car. My family lives in Illinois, and State patrol is always curious.
Have a safe trip.

ST911
09-01-2013, 04:30 PM
I had to find it, but here is what is posted at the state police licensing dept in Newington:

A felony for a minor regulatory infraction. Nice.

Nephrology
09-01-2013, 09:48 PM
A felony for a minor regulatory infraction. Nice.

Can you tell I am happy to be leaving??

Also, can I take it from your custom title that you are a MN resident yourself?