PDA

View Full Version : Spikes Tactical ST15 Mid Length Carbine Rifle

BJJ
08-30-2013, 05:00 PM
I am looking to upgrade from a Windham Weaponry AR that I bought in February of this year when it was all I could get. I can get the Spikes Tactical ST15 Mid Length Carbine Rifle for $919. Any opinions on those rifles? I am generally under the impression that they are the low end of the upper tier rifles. And for what it's worth, before somebody says it, I am not interested in a Colt. I am also considering a BCM Mid Length Mod 0 but it is about $200 more. Thanks in advance.

LittleLebowski
08-30-2013, 05:15 PM
If you Windham runs and has the proper springs, buffer, and staking.....I'd say stick with that.

BJJ
08-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Here are the specs on the Spike's upper:

Upper Specs

Spike's Tactical M4 Flat Top Upper Receiver

* CNC Machined from a 7075 T6 MIL-H-6088 Forging

* Extended M4 Feed Ramps Machined before Plating

* Mil-Spec 1913 Picatinny Rail

* MIL-A-8625F Type III Class 2 Hardcoat Anodized Finish

* Laser Engraved T-markings

* Laser Engraved ST Spider logo

* Interior MIL-L-46010 Dryfilm Lube

* Mil-Spec Ejection Port Door Assembly with 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Finish

* Mil-Spec Forward Assist Assembly with Tool Steel Pawl and 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Coating

* Forged Mil-Spec Charging Handle with MIL-A-8625F Type III Class 2 Hardcoat Anodized Finish

Barrel Group

* Barrel Steel is Certified MIL-B-11595E Chromoly Vanadium Alloy

* Raw Barrel Steel is Magnetic Particle Inspected

* Barrels are Stress Relieved

* Mil-Spec M4 Barrel Extension with 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Finish

* 1.2.2.2 MIL-STD-171 Hard Chrome Chamber

* 1.2.2.2 MIL-STD-171 Hard Chrome Bore

* 5.56mm Nato chamber

* All Chambers are Individually Checked for Head Spacing Before and After Plating

* All Barrels are Individually High Pressure Tested (HPT) and then Individually Magnetic Particle Inspected (MPI)

* 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Finish on the Barrel Exterior, Including under the Front Sight Base

* 1/2x28 Thread Pitch

* Threads are Cut Concentric to the Bore

* Forged F-Marked A2 Front Sight Base with Bayonet Lug and 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Finish

* FSB is Taper Pinned to the Barrel and Vertically Aligned

* Rubber Coated Front Sling Loop

* Mil-Spec 303 Stainless Steel Gas Tube enhanced with Melonite Finish

* Muzzle Devices are Properly Timed and installed with Crush Washer

Fore End Group

* Mid Length Hand Guards

* Triangle Hand Guard Cap with 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Coating

* Mil-Spec Barrel Nut with 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Coating

* Mil-Spec Delta Ring with MIL-A-8625F Type III Class 2 Hardcoat Anodized Finish

Bolt Carrier Group

* Mil-Spec 8620 Tool Steel M16 Bolt Carrier with Shrouded Firing Pin

* Carrier is 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Coated inside and out with 1.2.2.2 MIL-STD-171 Hard Chrome Bore

* Laser Engraved with ST Spider Logo

* Mil-Spec Tool Steel Carrier Key

* Carrier Key is 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Coated inside and out with 1.2.2.2 MIL-STD-171 Hard Chrome Bore

* Carrier Key is installed with Grade 8 Hardware and Properly Staked

* Bolt is CNC Machined from Carpenter-158 Steel

* Bolt is 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Coated inside and out

* All Bolts are Shot Peened per current Mil-Spec Requirements

* All Bolts are Individually High Pressure Tested (HPT) and then Individually Magnetic Particle Inspected (MPI)

* Tool steel Extractor is Shot Peened, 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Coated, Fitted with a Mil-Spec Black Extractor Spring Insert and Mil-Spec Viton O-Ring

* Mil-Spec Firing Pin with 1.2.2.2 MIL-STD-171 Hard Chrome Finish

* Mil-Spec Cam Pin with 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Coating

* Mil-Spec Firing Pin Retaining Pin with 5.3.1.2 MIL-STD-171 Phosphate Coating

BJJ
08-30-2013, 05:31 PM
If you Windham runs and has the proper springs, buffer, and staking.....I'd say stick with that.

Thanks for the input. It does run well. The only thing lacking is the castle nut is not staked. I am definitely interested in a mid length system and maybe something that is a little more in the mil spec area.

LittleLebowski
08-30-2013, 06:00 PM
If you're looking to upgrade to mil-spec for mil spec's sake (keeping in mind that mid length gas systems are not mil spec), I'd go BCM or DD.

I'd personally recommend checking the buffer, buffer spring, extractor spring insert, extractor spring, and gas key staking. Then I'd buy some ammo and go to a reputable training class. Training is much more fun than owning more than one copy of a weapon.

Spike's had a hit and miss reputation online but I've never seen one choke in real life. But for your stated intent; I think DD or BCM would be better.

SecondsCount
08-30-2013, 07:34 PM
While I don't shoot it a lot, I have had a BCM mid length since 2008 and have been happy with it. BCM's quality standards are probably the best in the business.

BJJ
08-30-2013, 07:47 PM
[QUOTE=LittleLebowski;157612]If you're looking to upgrade to mil-spec for mil spec's sake (keeping in mind that mid length gas systems are not mil spec), I'd go BCM or DD.

I guess mil spec and mid length are somewhat of an oxymoron. For my purposes, by mil spec I mean super rugged which seems to be achieved by individually testing bolts, barrels etc as opposed to Windham's batch testing.

Kyle Reese
08-30-2013, 07:51 PM
I guess mil spec and mid length are somewhat of an oxymoron. For my purposes, by mil spec I mean super rugged which seems to be achieved by individually testing bolts, barrels etc as opposed to Windham's batch testing.

I'd opt for a BCM and call it a day. I've got one of their mid length uppers that has been used and abused (like a rented mule) for about four years now, and it keeps chugging along.

ffhounddog
08-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Depending on the rifle if it runs do what Lebowski says and get a class in. Windam Rifles are pretty good. Training will tell you how you will be using the rifle and one of the reasons why for years I only ran carbine length due to how I was using the rifle. Took a few classes years later and found out that I liked this Mid Length I got to borrow.

BJJ
09-04-2013, 12:20 AM
Thanks for everybody's input.

FredM, I followed your advice and ordered a Bravo Company rifle this morning. I don't feel like I can go wrong with that course of action.

I took a solid 3 day carbine course in July and will hopefully be doing another 3 day course in November.

Suvorov
09-04-2013, 02:05 AM
Thanks for the input. It does run well. The only thing lacking is the castle nut is not staked. I am definitely interested in a mid length system and maybe something that is a little more in the mil spec area.

Castle nut staking can be easily fixed with a $5 punch and a hammer. Last time I checked, that will save you about $914 (assuming you own a hammer).

Now, if you are looking for an excuse to buy another rifle and the idea of a mid-length makes you happy, that is another story. ;)

BWT
09-09-2013, 12:24 PM
I'd strongly recommend a BCM Midlength. IMHO, the best "only AR" configuration.

BJJ
09-09-2013, 02:10 PM
I went with the BCM Mod 0 carbine. Might pick up a midlength rifle or at least an upper further down the road. Right now I need trigger time more than anything.

Kyle Reese
09-09-2013, 03:01 PM
I went with the BCM Mod 0 carbine. Might pick up a midlength rifle or at least an upper further down the road. Right now I need trigger time more than anything.

You won't regret it.

BWT
09-09-2013, 03:36 PM
You won't regret it.

I'd agree with him. I just like the longer gas length and therefore hand guards. You won't be disappointed.

BCM is the best brand IMHO, blend of price, record and warranty.

I also think they have innovated some cool stuff. Their new grip, though extremely similar to a MIAD, doesn't need a gapper and their charging handle is the best offering out there IMHO.

I'm a fan boy and I admit that, but it's because mine has proven faithful. I also think everything they make is very high quality, useful, they stand behind it and it's affordable.

ETA: I have a MIAD and I've had to fit a gapper on my Midlength. I just bought the new pistol grip for my pending BCM SBR. It saves me headache down the road and simplifies life.