PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LC9

Simon
05-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Does anyone here have any experience with the LC9? I have a new one that has a burr on the sear and I think it needs a light polish. I haven,t striped it any farther than basic cleaning, and wondered if anyone has done a detailed strip on one. Is there any thing to look for? Thanks for any help.

Simon

Kyle Reese
05-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Does anyone here have any experience with the LC9? I have a new one that has a burr on the sear and I think it needs a light polish. I haven,t striped it any farther than basic cleaning, and wondered if anyone has done a detailed strip on one. Is there any thing to look for? Thanks for any help.

Simon

I'd call Ruger and have them take care of it for you.

VolGrad
05-19-2011, 08:43 AM
I'd call Ruger and tell them the trigger pull sucks, the reset is atrocious, and the billboard warning on the slide is downright embarrassing ... then have them polish the burr for you. :p

I had higher hopes for the LC9. I was disappointed. Admittedly, I haven't fired one. I just fondled one a good bit in my LGS.

jetfire
05-19-2011, 09:03 AM
I shot one at SHOT. 7 rounds. It was enough to make me realize that I didn't want one. Then I put one next to an SR9c, and found it's only fractionally smaller than the SR9c, has a worse trigger pull and a mag disconnect that can't be easily removed.

Simon
05-19-2011, 11:36 AM
I have read most of the complaints and I don't agree. The trigger is better than my out of the box M&P 40. It has a better trigger than a small revolver, it's small enough to fit in a pocket and the recoil is very mild.

Some say the loaded chamber indicator interferes with the sights. It does not. The stamps that Ruger puts on all their guns is not pretty, but so what, do you carry for pretty. It is more powerful that the .380 mouse guns. and is not much larger. It has three more rounds that a small revolver, and conceals easier. If I were a uniformed officer, with all the gear, I would figure out how to hide one on my duty belt.

The only legitimate complaint that I have is that the trigger guard is to narrow from top to bottom and gloves could cause a problem in pulling the trigger. The burr on the sear will probably disappear after some use, but a light polish, would make a better pull. This would probably a great pistol for your pocket pistol competition.

Kyle Reese
05-19-2011, 11:43 AM
I hear what you're saying. I'd give Ruger a jangle and see what they can do for you.

VolGrad
05-19-2011, 03:36 PM
I have read most of the complaints and I don't agree. The trigger is better than my out of the box M&P 40. It has a better trigger than a small revolver, it's small enough to fit in a pocket and the recoil is very mild.

The stamps that Ruger puts on all their guns is not pretty, but so what, do you carry for pretty. It is more powerful that the .380 mouse guns. and is not much larger.

The only legitimate complaint that I have is that the trigger guard is to narrow from top to bottom and gloves could cause a problem in pulling the trigger.

This would probably a great pistol for your pocket pistol competition.

It's all relative I guess. The trigger sucks compared to my GLOCKs and 1911s. Yes, it's not much different than a revolver or some other guns I don't care for either.

The LC9 was still too big for my little pockets.

I would prefer to carry a 9mm over a .380 but the size difference is pretty significant over my LCP. The LCP really is a tiny little package. If I were to jump to the LC9 I might as well carry a G26 ... from there the stretch to a G19 is not far either. So I really wouldn't gain anything in the LC9 over my G19s I already have.

Now, having said why I DON'T like the LC9 ... I agree this would be a great gun for the PCCA comps and might even end up with one at some point for just that reason. :cool:

NGA Gunsmith
05-21-2011, 10:09 AM
At first I was intrigued by the LC9 but then I found out about all the safety stuff they included on it. I am a firm believer in making a person a safe shooter through proper training rather than trying to make the gun completely accident proof. The size of the gun is still appealing to me though.

Simon
05-22-2011, 07:55 PM
I hear what you're saying. I'd give Ruger a jangle and see what they can do for you.

Ruger says no custom work, swap parts only.

Kyle Reese
05-22-2011, 09:30 PM
Ruger says no custom work, swap parts only.

Interesting, especially when one consideres that a burr on the sear is a manufacturing defect, at least in my opinion.

Simon
05-23-2011, 01:53 PM
I Think that Ruger would replace the hammer and any other defective part, but I don,t think that would really do any good. Its not defective just a little rough like most new pistols.

Kasmith536
05-25-2011, 02:19 PM
I don't know where exactly on the sear, how big of a burr it is or how many rounds you've fired thru it, yet I'd suggest shooting at least a couple hundred rounds thru it before concerning yourself with it. I have an LC9 and out of the box the trigger was gritty for about 3/16" before the break. The pull wouldn't even register on a 9 lb scale. After 50 rnds the trigger became noticeably smoother, and after 200 it is very smooth, predictable, and softened to 8#'s. I've now just under 1000 rnds thru it of various ammo, 7 types of factory loads and 5 different types of reloads and have had NOT ONE SINGLE MALFUNCTION! One thing I would suggest is stoning a radius on the outside edges of the ramp. The sharp edges dig in to the aluminum frame liner. Other than that I've found no wear other than the normal slide/ frame/ barrel points of contact.

Simon
05-25-2011, 07:44 PM
I don't know where exactly on the sear, how big of a burr it is or how many rounds you've fired thru it, yet I'd suggest shooting at least a couple hundred rounds thru it before concerning yourself with it. I have an LC9 and out of the box the trigger was gritty for about 3/16" before the break. The pull wouldn't even register on a 9 lb scale. After 50 rnds the trigger became noticeably smoother, and after 200 it is very smooth, predictable, and softened to 8#'s. I've now just under 1000 rnds thru it of various ammo, 7 types of factory loads and 5 different types of reloads and have had NOT ONE SINGLE MALFUNCTION! One thing I would suggest is stoning a radius on the outside edges of the ramp. The sharp edges dig in to the aluminum frame liner. Other than that I've found no wear other than the normal slide/ frame/ barrel points of contact.
Thanks for the info. Your experience with the trigger sounds about like my trigger. I will give it more time , and I will check the ramp.

Simon