PDA

View Full Version : New EO Effectively Kills the CMP

Corlissimo
08-30-2013, 12:29 AM
More news with an insidious feel to it...

http://o.dailycaller.com/thedailycaller/#!/entry/obamas-new-executive-order-will-kill-the-110yearold-civilian-marksmanship,521fac31da27f5d9d01421e4

~ Typos brought to you by my lazyness & in attention to detail.

JV_
08-30-2013, 05:16 AM
http://dailycaller.com/2013/08/29/obamas-new-executive-order-will-kill-the-110-year-old-civilian-marksmanship-program/

5pins
08-30-2013, 06:23 AM
Funny how they tell everyone they are banning re importation of military weapons but what they don’t tell you is the fact those ”horrible weapons of war” are over 60 years old and are obsolete by today’s standards.

I guess we will have to tell the gang kids down the street to get off our lawns with AR’s, but it won’t be the same.

MEH
08-30-2013, 08:56 AM
Will it kill CMP? Maybe, maybe not.

I believe, the Army actually brings the guns in and "donates" them to CMP. Since the Army is US Gov I don't know that this "ban" will affect CMP. What will affect CMP even more is the ever decreasing supply of surplus rifles.

Odin Bravo One
08-30-2013, 09:00 AM
Will it kill CMP? Maybe, maybe not.

I believe, the Army actually brings the guns in and "donates" them to CMP. Since the Army is US Gov I don't know that this "ban" will affect CMP. What will affect CMP even more is the ever decreasing supply of surplus rifles.

Bill Clinton stopped that practice long ago. Under his leadership, he made it unlawful for the DoD to make available for sale ANY small arms from their stocks, regardless of type, caliber, age, serviceability, or condition to civilians.

DocGKR
08-30-2013, 09:20 AM
I am unaware of any "military grade" weapons being imported to the U.S. for sale to American civilians except antique WWI era M1903 Springfield rifles, as well as WWII era M1 rifles and M1 carbines. NO select fire re-imported M14's or M16's have been offered for sale to American civilians. This EO is full of balderdash.

Tamara
08-30-2013, 09:26 AM
It's a deliberate, and petty, poke at our side to block that big stash of Korean Garands and carbines from coming in. Now they're going to get bought by some Armenian or Pakistani factor with cash and foresight and sit in a warehouse awaiting the next Republican administration and a hefty profit.

(This is a poke at the ROKs too, because they'd probably already spent the money and now they have to find a whole new buyer.)

the Schwartz
08-30-2013, 09:35 AM
I am also sure that Zero believes that these guns are the source of a great many of the gang-related deaths occurring on the streets of our largest metropolitan areas- it's for the children y'know?

MEH
08-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Bill Clinton stopped that practice long ago. Under his leadership, he made it unlawful for the DoD to make available for sale ANY small arms from their stocks, regardless of type, caliber, age, serviceability, or condition to civilians.

My information comes directly from the CMP website (http://odcmp.com/sales.htm)
[quote from CMP website]

"The CMP was created by the U.S. Congress as part of the 1903 War Department Appropriations Act. The original purpose was to provide civilians an opportunity to learn and practice marksmanship skills so they would be skilled marksmen if later called on to serve in the U.S. military. Over the years the emphasis of the program shifted to focus on youth development through marksmanship. From 1916 until 1996 the CMP was administered by the U.S. Army. Title XVI of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 1996 (Public Law 104-106, 10 February 1996) created the Corporation for the Promotion of Rifle Practice & Firearms Safety (CPRPFS) to take over administration and promotion of the CMP. The CPRPFS is a tax-exempt non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation that has been Federally chartered by the U.S. Congress, but is not an agency of the U.S. Government (Title 36, United States Code, Section 40701 et seq). Apart from a donation of surplus .22 and .30 caliber rifles in the Army's inventory to the CMP, the CMP receives no Federal funding."

[/endquote]

Bolding is mine. If they don't come from Army inventory then I am not sure how they get product?

Be a shame when the supply finally runs out and CMP ceases to exist as currently constituted.

Tamara
08-30-2013, 09:53 AM
If they don't come from Army inventory then I am not sure how they get product?

Surplus purchases overseas. They haven't gotten a gun from Uncle Sam for almost twenty years.

MEH
08-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Surplus purchases overseas. They haven't gotten a gun from Uncle Sam for almost twenty years.

Cite?

The law passed by congress chartering what we call the CMP is buried here (http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-104publ106/pdf/PLAW-104publ106.pdf). It clearly lays out how the CMP is to procure rifles, etc.

Also, note " the Administration is announcing a new policy of denying requests to bring military-grade firearms back into the United States to private entities". I'll point out that CMP is not a private entity.

The article by the Daily Caller is lacking any serious fact checking. "New policy's" can not change the law as passed by congress and signed by the president [at the time]. Weapons sold to other countries may be affected by this policy. Those on a lend-lease program may not be affected by this policy. I don't think this is anything different from what Clinton did during his administration.

Of course, the devil is in the details and that may not coincide with anything that has been reported so far.

Tamara
08-30-2013, 11:52 AM
I'll point out that CMP is not a private entity.

Nor either are they a government agency. They're a congressionally-chartered 501(c)3 organization.

The article by the Daily Caller is lacking any serious fact checking.

Haven't read the Daily Caller piece, dunno.

I need to amend my "almost twenty years" quote in that they have received bolt guns more recently than that, but there aren't any more in U.S. stocks, so that is moot.

Morbidbattlecry
08-30-2013, 03:09 PM
Has anyone contacted the Cmp to see what they have to say about all of this? And this is what i get for putting off buying a garand isn't it?

TR675
08-30-2013, 03:34 PM
Orest says they're looking into it.

LHS
08-30-2013, 07:20 PM
https://sphotos-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/1175186_236054646543401_735502076_n.jpg

This entire EO just stinks of petty impotent anger. He's miffed that he couldn't get anything substantial through Congress, so he's lashing out at the only targets he has. What a childish little douche is our president. Oh, look, Syria!