PDA

View Full Version : Federal LE Ammunition Differences

texasaggie2005
05-18-2011, 10:19 AM
I am looking for some new carry ammo (.45ACP +P), and I was looking at the Federal LE line. They are priced the same (http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/45-acp-hollow-point), but are obviously have different bullet designs. Can anybody explain the difference between the Tactical HST (http://le.atk.com/general/federalproducts/pistol/tacticalhst.aspx) and the Tactical Bonded (http://le.atk.com/general/federalproducts/pistol/tacticalbonded.aspx)? They have the exact same ballistics as far as I can tell. Thanks.

jslaker
05-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Bonded means that the jacket and lead core are bonded together such that they're less likely to separate after striking a solid object, which generally makes for weight retention and thus better penetration. This will generally make a bonded round more effective after passing through a medium like auto glass on its way to its target.

I'm not familiar with the terminal ballistics of the Tactical Bonded round, so I can't really speak to its effectiveness; for a non-bonded round, the HST tends to perform fairly well in terms of weight retention, however.

CAW
05-19-2011, 01:04 PM
I run the LE Tactial HST 147 gr in my full size 9mm handguns. I was under the impression it was bonded. That was the difference between it and the civilian standard HST version.

I don't know about the Tactical Bonded. It's interesting it says better performance from shorter barrels. Maybe the bullet design expands with less velocity. Personally I am running good old Gold Dot 124 Gr +P in the shorter barrels until I think there is something better.

texasaggie2005
05-19-2011, 01:22 PM
Bonded means that the jacket and lead core are bonded together such that they're less likely to separate after striking a solid object, which generally makes for weight retention and thus better penetration. This will generally make a bonded round more effective after passing through a medium like auto glass on its way to its target.

I'm not familiar with the terminal ballistics of the Tactical Bonded round, so I can't really speak to its effectiveness; for a non-bonded round, the HST tends to perform fairly well in terms of weight retention, however.

Thank's for the information. It was kinda what I was thinking, I just wanted some verification.

I run the LE Tactial HST 147 gr in my full size 9mm handguns. I was under the impression it was bonded. That was the difference between it and the civilian standard HST version.

I don't know about the Tactical Bonded. It's interesting it says better performance from shorter barrels. Maybe the bullet design expands with less velocity. Personally I am running good old Gold Dot 124 Gr +P in the shorter barrels until I think there is something better.

I didn't notice the part about better performance from a shorter barrel. Interesting. I shoot a 4", all the tests were done with a 5", so this may be a better option for me. I have shot the HST in 230gr +p, and it runs well. I can't really speak for the terminal ballistics, I have no way of measuring it.

jslaker
05-19-2011, 01:53 PM

I was under the impression that HSTs aren't officially sold to the public, though they're certainly available. They're only sold in 50 round LE boxes, while most ammo for the civilian market is sold in 20-25 round boxes.

texasaggie2005
05-19-2011, 01:58 PM
I was under the impression that HSTs aren't officially sold to the public, though they're certainly available. They're only sold in 50 round LE boxes, while most ammo for the civilian market is sold in 20-25 round boxes.

That is my understanding also.

CAW
05-19-2011, 02:53 PM

I may be wrong. For some reason I thought they had a non bonded version that was available to civilians.

To be honest I didn't start using HST until a few months ago. I got a bag full of it from a LEO. I did some study on it and replaced my standard Gold Dots in my larger 9mm handguns.

CAW
05-19-2011, 02:55 PM
wow, maybe it's not bonded... lol

texasaggie2005
05-19-2011, 02:58 PM
From my research, all HST is non-bonded. If it were bonded, the petals wouldn't expand the same as the non-bonded.

CAW
05-19-2011, 03:10 PM
yeah that looks right. I don't know why I got it in my head that it was bonded and there was a civilian version non-bonded. Looks like I was all screwed up! I think I was just confusing the tactical bonded with being the same as Tactical HST and when HST was referred without the "tactical" maybe I then thought there was a difference. I really don't know actually.

There was an end of a box label in the bag to reference what it was. It is labeled Tactical HST 147 gr. LE Premium... I can't believe I have been thinking it was bonded.

Oh well, I guess the important thing is I believe it to be good enough to put in my guns. I feel comfortable about that. ;)

ToddG
05-20-2011, 08:02 AM
HST is not bonded. Last I knew, it had some of the best barrier penetration stats among non-bonded JHPs.

The 124gr +p HST is what I carried in my P30 in 2009 and what I'm using in the G17 this year.

jslaker
05-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Last I knew, it had some of the best barrier penetration stats among non-bonded JHPs.

That's exactly the impression I've gotten from the testing I've been able to find as well.

The 124gr +p HST is what I carried in my P30 in 2009 and what I'm using in the G17 this year.

Same loading I keep in my P226 and what I'll be keeping in the M&P9 I plan on picking up next week, barring functionality issues in that gun.

CQC.45
05-20-2011, 03:38 PM
IMO HSTs are some of the best non-bonded ammunition on the market today. Non-bonded ammo will generally expand to a greater size, however Bonded ammo (Federal Tactical Bonded) will generally be more effective in penetration (especially through barriers). Its all about application.