PDA

View Full Version : Great podcasts

LittleLebowski
08-28-2013, 07:56 AM
Dan Carlin Hardcore History (http://feeds.feedburner.com/dancarlin/history?format=xml). Basically history in this guy's own words which makes it easier to digest. I'm tearing through his Roman Empire stuff right now. Most of it is free and I recommend it. I'm told he has a conservative/libertarian view which works for me. If you do a bit of commuting, you might enjoy listening to this.

SeriousStudent
08-28-2013, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the link. I have a long drive coming up next month, and always enjoy listening to history audiobooks.

LHS
08-28-2013, 07:26 PM
Two of my coworkers are always going on about that guy. I might have to take a listen.

Byron
08-28-2013, 07:27 PM
I just this afternoon finished listening to his 5-part "Wrath of the Khans."

It was amazing.

fuse
08-28-2013, 08:37 PM
Subscribed What podcast app is everyone using?

LittleLebowski
09-10-2013, 08:27 AM
I just this afternoon finished listening to his 5-part "Wrath of the Khans."

It was amazing.

On part 2 of the Wrath of the Khans. Byron called it - AMAZING. Highly recommended. Beats the heck out of radio talk shows.

http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hharchive

Matt O
09-11-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm part of the way through Part I of Wrath of the Khans and it's pretty good so far. I was skeptical at first since Carlin's voice and delivery initially gave off a snake-oil salesman vibe, but I stuck through the first bit and he definitely had some interesting points.

Of note, his point regarding the particular characteristics of nomadic, hunter-gatherer societies that allowed them to more easily conquer agrarian societies, right up until they themselves settled down in their conquered territories, adopted agriculturalist ways and were then later conquered in turn, resonated with previous analyses of Chinese dynastic history I have read.

Byron
09-11-2013, 09:58 AM
Subscribed What podcast app is everyone using?
I use Podcast Addict (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bambuna.podcastaddict) on my Android devices.

On part 2 of the Wrath of the Khans. Byron called it - AMAZING. Highly recommended. Beats the heck out of radio talk shows.
Glad you're enjoying it. I really got sucked deeper and deeper in as the series went on. It got to the point where I was responding like a jerk in a movie theater: "Oh, you guys just f'd up! Don't you know what the Khans are going to do to you?!?"

I'm part of the way through Part I of Wrath of the Khans and it's pretty good so far. I was skeptical at first since Carlin's voice and delivery initially gave off a snake-oil salesman vibe, but I stuck through the first bit and he definitely had some interesting points.
I had to restart Part I because I also had difficulty getting into it at first. The fact that it's only him talking bothered me at first: I'm used to a conversational format for a podcast. But I'm glad I gave it a second chance.

Of note, his point regarding the particular characteristics of nomadic, hunter-gatherer societies that allowed them to more easily conquer agrarian societies, right up until they themselves settled down in their conquered territories, adopted agriculturalist ways and were then later conquered in turn, resonated with previous analyses of Chinese dynastic history I have read.
That definitely fascinated me. He talks about how in some cases, the Mongols would rotate their people in and out of their conquered territories to prevent them from getting comfortable. If you spent some time in the lap of luxury, you were ordered back to the steppe so that you didn't lose your edge.

Sal Picante
09-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Mind-blowingly good!!

The Decline of the Roman Republic series is AWESOME!!

jlw
09-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'm downloading them now.

NickA
11-11-2013, 05:34 PM
As much as I've been enjoying the 24/7 talk about Obamacare lately :cool:, I decided to take a break and give the Roman series a listen. Very good stuff, I actually can't wait to get back in the car and hear the next part.

LittleLebowski
11-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Wait until you try Wrath of the Khans (http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hharchive/Show-43---Wrath-of-the-Khans-I/Mongols-Genghis-Chingis).

David S.
11-11-2013, 07:51 PM
His Common Sense podcast is very good too. In it he discusses current events.

Doug
11-12-2013, 03:07 AM
I liked liked his Ghosts of the Ostfront about the German vs Russia in WW2. Thought it was excellent!! Also just finished the Roman Empire. The last episode is 5 hours...

I did Not like his Common Sense podcast he did after Newtown. It seemed to me he supported the old NRA backing the 1934 Firearms Act. I think it was show 244 Gunning for Violence.

JodyH
11-12-2013, 07:58 AM
Some of my favorite podcasts:
Adam Carolla
Penn's Sunday School
Joe Rogan

jlw
11-12-2013, 08:31 AM
Wait until you try Wrath of the Khans (http://www.dancarlin.com/disp.php/hharchive/Show-43---Wrath-of-the-Khans-I/Mongols-Genghis-Chingis).

I just completed Wrath of the Khans after completing Death Throws of the Republic. Good stuff.

I have now started on Blueprint to Armageddon.

Sal Picante
11-13-2013, 11:18 AM
I just completed Wrath of the Khans after completing Death Throws of the Republic. Good stuff.

I have now started on Blueprint to Armageddon.

I got chills listening to that... Reality of the situation clashed with the grandeur of that lat age.

I "get" Hemingway now...

Clyde from Carolina
11-13-2013, 01:49 PM
Have to check out the Khans podcast. Just found it in the app- should be am set now.

NickA
11-21-2013, 12:21 PM

Started the first part last night. Is listening to this going to make me go out and buy a horse and a bow? It is, isn't it?

LittleLebowski
04-30-2014, 07:40 AM
Third part of Dan's WWI series "Blueprint for Armageddon" dropped last week. Over three hours. I enjoyed how he spoke about how modern warfare and 19th century warfare techniques met and overlapped for a while as evidenced by the below German lancer on a horse and wearing a gas mask.

http://angloboerwarmuseum.com/images/boer/photos_bw/lancer_german].jpg

Don Gwinn
04-30-2014, 12:21 PM
I've never gotten into Hardcore History, but maybe I should give it another try. I use BeyondPod on a Kindle Fire most of the time, but iTunes on a laptop or an iPod shuffle is my old standby.

I like "Philosophize This!" quite a bit; it makes philosophy accessible to me.

"Oh No Ross and Carrie" is a lot of fun; Ross Blocher and Carrie Poppie go out and try various religions, cults, conspiracy theories, magic and woo-woo stuff and report back on their experiences.

"Sawbones" has a doctor and her goofy comedian husband going over historical medical practices and ideas that seem strange today.

"Judge John Hodgman" has John Hodgman sitting in judgment in a fake internet court of law on various disputes. He's funny, but he also has a way of finding the heart of the dispute and expressing it beautifully.

"The Bible Geek" and "The Human Bible" have Dr. Robert M. Price dissecting and explaining various aspects of the Bible and its history from a critical, scholarly point of view--but in an entertaining way that is accessible to laymen (I guess that's the common theme--I like to listen to highfalutin' ideas discussed in language that's dumbed down enough for me to get it.) TBG is just Price answering questions, kind of like Ben Stoeger's "Practical Pistol Show," but in hourlong episodes. The Human Bible is more slickly produced and more like a standard show with segments, music, etc., and because Price and his collaborators write it rather than just responding to whatever questions come in, I think it's a better show for laymen like me to start with. Unfortunately, it got canceled over budget problems, but then ten more episodes were released, and now it's starting to sound like it may get made again.

"Sex Nerd Sandra" is just what it sounds like. Sandra is ridiculously enthusiastic about the science and philosophy of sexuality and she interviews experts while geeking out. I will say that this one is in the process of rebounding after what I thought was a mortal blow. It used to be co-hosted by Dave Ross, a comedian who was clearly not always comfortable with all this sex-nerd stuff when Sandra or a guest would excitedly bring out something that pushed against his upbringing, his insecurities--basically, any of his personal boundaries. Dave brought a lot of the humor to the show, and his presence allowed people with insecurities, repression, or just plain old shame/embarrassment to enjoy the show, because their point of view got represented in every episode. Sadly, Dave's career continued to take off, so they went their separate ways. I have tickets to see him on tour with Kyle Kinane this month.
Anyway, losing Dave noticeably hurt the show, but I think Sandra's finding her feet as the sole host now.
Actually, Dave's podcast, "Terrified," is pretty good, too. Basically he brings on a guest and asks them to talk about what they hate or fear most about themselves, and they usually find a way to make it funny and endearing.

ford.304
04-30-2014, 12:54 PM
I'm a huge fan of a couple history podcasts.

12 Byzantine Rulers is a classic.
The History of Rome is also amazing (and over 170 episodes).

I'm currently working my way through The History of Philosophy Without Any Gaps. Really enjoying it as well. Plato sounds like a smart guy :)

Suvorov
03-08-2015, 07:25 PM
Just in the past month have really gotten into both the Hardcore History and the Common Sense podcasts. Really enjoying both of them. As I have a bit of Mongol blood coursing through my veins, I have to say I really enjoyed the Wrath of the Kahn's episodes. I'm right now 3/5ths of the way through the WWI series and it is probably even better.

While I tend to be more conservative that Carlin in most subjects, I can really appreciate his incite as well as research into opposing views or subjects I'm largely ignorant of. I have to say his views on the Ukrainian situation are the BEST I have come across from any "news" source.

The fact that I spend so much time numbing my mind in the back of pressurized tubes with less personal space than what the State of California mandates for chickens makes Carlin's podcasts a literal Godsend.

David S.
03-09-2015, 12:58 PM
I just discovered "Prof CJ's Dangerous History Podcast." It's a history show from a libertarian perspective, similar to Dan Carlin, I a shorter form. Most episodes are an hour long and, where he overlaps with DC on topic, would give a great intro to the heavy, 16 hour Hardcore History topics.

For instance, Prof CJ did four 1 hour episodes on WW1 that would be a good preview to Dan Carlin's current Blueprint For Amageddon series.

Cheers,
David

LittleLebowski
03-09-2015, 02:02 PM
I just discovered "Prof CJ's Dangerous History Podcast." It's a history show from a libertarian perspective, similar to Dan Carlin, I a shorter form. Most episodes are an hour long and, where he overlaps with DC on topic, would give a great intro to the heavy, 16 hour Hardcore History topics.

For instance, Prof CJ did four 1 hour episodes on WW1 that would be a good preview to Dan Carlin's current Blueprint For Amageddon series.

Cheers,
David

Damn, thanks. Will check that out. I've been running low on podcasts.

David S.
03-09-2015, 04:47 PM
I should probably qualify my ProfCJ recommendation. The focus of his show seems to be to point out the sketchy and downright ugly sinfulness of the west, and America in particular. If you are like me, you will find this show a gut check to your nationalistic idealism ('Merica!!!!). If you do buy into it, you will find him an anti-American, anti-West, revisionist asshole.

As a product of the public school system I don't know enough about history to fact check his work. I'd be interested to see what you smarter people think.

LittleLebowski
03-11-2015, 08:16 AM
I should probably qualify my ProfCJ recommendation. The focus of his show seems to be to point out the sketchy and downright ugly sinfulness of the west, and America in particular. If you are like me, you will find this show a gut check to your nationalistic idealism ('Merica!!!!). If you do buy into it, you will find him an anti-American, anti-West, revisionist asshole.

As a product of the public school system I don't know enough about history to fact check his work. I'd be interested to see what you smarter people think.

So far, he's not too bad. I'm not that smart, though.

NickA
03-11-2015, 08:41 AM
Some good commentary on gun control in the latest episode of Dan Carlin's Common Sense podcast, based on the recent attacks against Jews in Europe, and a prominent rabbi calling for revision of gun laws.

LittleLebowski
03-30-2015, 12:37 PM

Still not bad. He's a bit of an anarcho libertarian but his heart seems to be in the right place.

Don Gwinn
03-30-2015, 02:23 PM
Interesting to see this pop back up. I went back and listened to a few Hardcore History episodes because of this thread and got hooked. I'm all caught up on the free ice cream now and waiting for the next HH to come out. I gather it may be awhile.

ragnar_d
04-03-2015, 11:08 AM
FWIW, I've been listening to "The Survival Podcast" for about 2+ years now. Recently, TSP has taken a very strong "permaculture" and libertarian/anarchist feel to it. The podcast is pretty well rounded and is good about (1) having guests on or discussing subjects that help you improve your way of life/self sufficiency or discuss some new and different ways to look at at things and (2) discusses some topics that are going to either make people upset or get them to go, "I've never thought of it like that". It's a good listen and I've picked up a lot of interesting little projects here and there from it.

I'll have to look into the Hardcore History too. Sounds like its right up my alley.

David S.
04-03-2015, 09:06 PM
FWIW, I found Prof CJ's Dangerous History Podcast through an interview Jack (the Survival Podcast) did a couple months back. I'm a big fan of Jacks show.

For those interested in personal finance check out Radical Personal Finance (I'm not a personal finance expert but he seems like solid info on a broad range of topics but he can get kind of rambly) and The Wealthsteading Podcast.

ST911
04-04-2015, 08:38 AM
Liking the Triangle Tactical podcast lately. Has a different feel to it... http://www.triangletactical.net/podcast-2/

Guinnessman
04-04-2015, 06:43 PM
I have been listening to the Peter Schiff Show podcast a lot lately. For those not familiar, he is an Economist of the Austrian School and hardcore Libertarian. His views on the current economy are very eye opening to those who only pay attention to CNBC.

LittleLebowski
05-06-2015, 07:51 AM
New Dan Carlin Hardcore History WWI podcast is out! I'll be in my bunk....

NickA
05-06-2015, 08:27 AM
Yep, it's like Christmas in May!

NickA
05-06-2015, 08:32 AM

LittleLebowski
05-06-2015, 08:43 AM

Indeed.

http://c3.thejournal.ie/media/2015/02/nasa-celebration.gif

breakingtime91
05-06-2015, 09:45 AM
Indeed.

http://c3.thejournal.ie/media/2015/02/nasa-celebration.gif

On the second part of Armageddon... I'm hooked. I listen to it while working out, driving, doing hw, etc...