View Full Version : Fredericksburg USPSA match

LittleLebowski
08-28-2013, 07:18 AM
See you there?

punkey71
08-28-2013, 09:08 AM
Yep.

The only objective is to beat JSantoro.

That is the only way to prevent his trash talkin'.

Trash talkin' is bad enough but it is exponentially worse when receiving it from someone as verbose as Jim.

:-)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Chris Rhines
08-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Yep, I'll be there.

LittleLebowski
08-28-2013, 09:11 AM
Yep.

Yup.

Chris, what time are you going to be there? I'm planning on 7 or is that too early?

Chris Rhines
08-28-2013, 09:24 AM
Yup.

Chris, what time are you going to be there? I'm planning on 7 or is that too early?

Too early - they don't even open the check-in until 7:30am. The safety brief is at 8:45am. If you arrive between 8 and 8:30am you'll be fine.

LittleLebowski
08-28-2013, 09:25 AM
Too early - they don't even open the check-in until 7:30am. The safety brief is at 8:45am. If you arrive between 8 and 8:30am you'll be fine.

I'm hoping to get out by 1 if not earlier. Think it's possible?

Chris Rhines
08-28-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm hoping to get out by 1 if not earlier. Think it's possible?

Um... It depends on what the turnout is like, but I wouldn't count on it.

But, if you have to bail before finishing all the stages, nobody is gonna worry about it.

JMS
08-28-2013, 10:18 AM

Coincidentally, my only real goal is to stay ahead of you and that no-good SOB, LL....

http://imageshack.us/a/img198/5955/7yly.jpg

Speaking of...:

Dude, there was a notification that they ditched the AM/PM setup. I get the feeling we'll be seeing bigger squads and longer times this weekend, because it lead off with "Starting with the September match....," but I can't be sure. I can forward it to you, if you like.

Punkey, you were about for the switch from an all-day match to the AM/PM, right? How'd it go, back then?

LittleLebowski
08-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Dude, there was a notification that they ditched the AM/PM setup. I get the feeling we'll be seeing bigger squads and longer times this weekend, because it lead off with "Starting with the September match....," but I can't be sure. I can forward it to you, if you like.

I saw that. I have a BBQ in Warrenton at 3 so I may not shoot the whole match.

punkey71
08-28-2013, 11:52 AM
In the past squad sizes were 12-15 with only one time slot. I was once in a 22 shooter squad. Miserable day. Driving away after tear down was usually around 1500-1600. That day it was almost 1800. Debated not coming again after that one.

I don't see 1300 happening unless you leave without shooting the last stage or two.

Ideally 10 shooter squads shooting 6-8 stages is perfect. Unfortunately that limits the amount if shooters if there is only one time slot. If they have two time slots its a VERY long day for staff.

I think the former is the answer but that will mean a lot of folks don't get to shoot.

I would REALLY like to see a 2-Gun monthly match. I will need some help pushing that though....

Anyone interested in pursuing 2-Gun?

LittleLebowski
08-28-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm interested in 2 gun but short on free time.

JHC
08-28-2013, 11:58 AM
I'm interested in 2 gun but short on free time.

What are you going to shoot? Didn't you just pick up a new Gen 4 . . . 17 right? Gonna baptize it?

LittleLebowski
08-28-2013, 12:10 PM
What are you going to shoot? Didn't you just pick up a new Gen 4 . . . 17 right? Gonna baptize it?

Yup, I hope to break it in and check POA/POI tomorrow. Got it in Ludus Drab because.....Ludus. Getting a Gen 4 G17 feels like coming home to mama. Got 2 Dark Star Gear holsters for it; AIWB and OWB. The AIWB feels pretty good carrying around the house. I'll carry it once I run a few rounds through it.

Mr_White
08-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Which division are you shooting? Production?

Good luck and have a great time!

LittleLebowski
08-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Which division are you shooting? Production?

Good luck and have a great time!

Yup, my second USPSA match. I shot a few KSTG matches until life happened but now I'm starting to get more free time to shoot. I'll pretty much shoot any match near me. I enjoyed my first match and seemingly did OK but JMS beat me by a second on the classifier and that will not stand :D

LittleLebowski
08-28-2013, 01:17 PM
I'm open to meeting up for breakfast nearby.

JMS
08-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Considering that the last time I beat you on something, it was by .01sec, the progression since then....

Oh, never mind. That kind of Pollyanna optimism is what makes you such a little button, you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL4wCONcsEc

JMS
08-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Doubled it!

Vinh
08-28-2013, 01:42 PM
I would REALLY like to see a 2-Gun monthly match. I will need some help pushing that though....

Anyone interested in pursuing 2-Gun?
Definitely interested in a 2-gun match.

punkey71
08-28-2013, 01:47 PM
As a club member I can always set up some non-sanctioned, "lets try this" stages almost any day.

If 4-5 people want to meet at the club something could be set up provided enough folks bring paper/stands/steel.

I have a few stands/sticks/USPSA targets and the club has two, 6 plate racks on one of the pistol bays.

With a solid plan, a 100-150 round mini-match (shoot 2-3 "stages" multiple times) would take 2-3 hours.

If anyone is interested we can discuss the above on Sunday.

JMS
08-28-2013, 02:05 PM
I'm open to meeting up for breakfast nearby.

There's a Cracker Barrel at 5200 Southpoint Pkwy that opens @ 0600, plus a Denny's a bit north of that on the west side of Rt1. All the one-off diners I know of and go to for breakfast vittles don't open until 0700, and are too far the venue to not be rushed.

Chris Rhines
08-28-2013, 03:15 PM
There's a Cracker Barrel at 5200 Southpoint Pkwy that opens @ 0600, plus a Denny's a bit north of that on the west side of Rt1. All the one-off diners I know of and go to for breakfast vittles don't open until 0700, and are too far the venue to not be rushed.

This sounds like a pretty good idea.

LittleLebowski
08-28-2013, 03:56 PM
This sounds like a pretty good idea.

Meet you and Diet Recruit (Marine Corps humor) there around 7-7:30? How far is it from the club?

JHC
08-28-2013, 04:08 PM
Yup, I hope to break it in and check POA/POI tomorrow. Got it in Ludus Drab because.....Ludus. Getting a Gen 4 G17 feels like coming home to mama. Got 2 Dark Star Gear holsters for it; AIWB and OWB. The AIWB feels pretty good carrying around the house. I'll carry it once I run a few rounds through it.

I'm a sucker for those earth tone guns. If they'd put out a run of OD or "Ludus Drab" (FDE I reckon) in RTF2 . . .

What sights did you put on it?

LittleLebowski
08-28-2013, 04:23 PM
No, it's in OD otherwise known as "Ludus Drab." FDE is "Flat Dark Ludus" :D

I got the Trijicon HDs. Pretty happy with the new holster. I haven't bought an OWB holster in years.....

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/93ad1005-c176-4656-b9f3-4a9003caaab5_zpsf685e831.jpg

Chris Rhines
08-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Meet you and Diet Recruit (Marine Corps humor) there around 7-7:30? How far is it from the club?

Not far, maybe 15 minutes. 7-7:30 should be perfect.

JHC
08-28-2013, 04:52 PM
No, it's in OD otherwise known as "Ludus Drab." FDE is "Flat Dark Ludus" :D

I got the Trijicon HDs. Pretty happy with the new holster. I haven't bought an OWB holster in years.....

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/baxshep/93ad1005-c176-4656-b9f3-4a9003caaab5_zpsf685e831.jpg

LOL! Got it. Great setup.

ffhounddog
08-29-2013, 04:50 AM
Looks like DarkStar and thinned up their holsters a bit, I like it. I will not make this one but I hope to make the next one. Life has a way of messing with schedules.

LittleLebowski
08-29-2013, 04:26 PM
punkey71 and anyone else who wants to, feel free to show up at Cracker Barrel.

JMS
08-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Welp, just got my USPSA#, I'm all official and crap, now. See you guys for breakfast.

Diet Recruit

WHY YOU SON OF A....

:D

Chris Rhines
08-29-2013, 10:52 PM
!Achtung!

I have just been informed that the Fredericksburg match will start at 8am this month, rather than at 9am. I assume that means the safety briefing will be at 7:45am. That means I'll be at Cracker Barrel at around 6-6:30am, mainlining coffee and muttering to myself.

Plan accordingly!

LittleLebowski
08-30-2013, 07:01 AM
!Achtung!

I have just been informed that the Fredericksburg match will start at 8am this month, rather than at 9am. I assume that means the safety briefing will be at 7:45am. That means I'll be at Cracker Barrel at around 6-6:30am, mainlining coffee and muttering to myself.

Plan accordingly!

See you there. That's a drive for you, methinks.

KevinB
08-30-2013, 09:31 AM
See you there. That's a drive for you, methinks.

LLB's HH6 needs to work on my HH6 for command approval to attend.

LittleLebowski
08-30-2013, 09:52 AM
LLB's HH6 needs to work on my HH6 for command approval to attend.

Just tell her you're leaving early and will be back by lunch. That's my plan.

KevinB
08-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Just tell her you're leaving early and will be back by lunch. That's my plan.

Mine is MUCH less forgiving for timing slips these days -- but good plan :cool:

JMS
08-30-2013, 10:17 AM
mainlining coffee

I cart those Camelback tablets with me, the orange flavored stuff with the caffeine....half a tablet in the water bottles they provide....

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/1203/1yr.gif

LittleLebowski
08-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Mine is MUCH less forgiving for timing slips these days -- but good plan :cool:

Seriously, tell her that you'll be out of the house before she wakes up and home by lunch. That actually is my plan. You'll take a slight hit on sleep but make it up by being home the rest of the day.

LittleLebowski
08-30-2013, 01:06 PM
I cart those Camelback tablets with me, the orange flavored stuff with the caffeine....half a tablet in the water bottles they provide....

http://imageshack.us/a/img23/1203/1yr.gif

I need to getsmesumadat.

LittleLebowski
08-31-2013, 06:18 PM
See you guys at Cracker Barrel a little after 6.

LittleLebowski
08-31-2013, 06:20 PM
Cracker Barrel (JMS's home away from home)
5200 Southpoint Pkwy
Fredericksburg, Virginia 22407

punkey71
08-31-2013, 07:56 PM
LL,

If it's not too much trouble, could you bring down your Shaggy and Dark Star Gear AIWB for Glocks? I have a JM and would like to see the differences/similarities.

If not, no stress.

Thanks

JMS
08-31-2013, 09:58 PM
(JMS's home away from home)

You wound me, sir...

My culinary self-abuse with breakfast food does not often happen in chain restaurants, TYVM.

Totally uncalled for.

LittleLebowski
09-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Good match (for the other guys that didn't FTE a target :D) and a good breakfast. Looking forward to the next match! Sorry I had to leave early, gents.

Chris Rhines
09-02-2013, 07:18 AM
Scores are up! (https://www.practiscore.com/match-results/uuid?uuid=2939B2C7-5D01-4336-8711-B706436872AE)

Just aside, I really enjoyed shooting with y'all. Everybody pitched in, we moved through the stages really fast despite having a big squad, and after the match the stage was torn down and stowed in an eyeblink. Thanks to everyone for all the help, I'll squad with you dudes anytime.

JHC
09-02-2013, 07:25 AM
Good match (for the other guys that didn't FTE a target :D) and a good breakfast. Looking forward to the next match! Sorry I had to leave early, gents.

Hey man, I've been camped out watching this thread to hear how the gun ran. I so want you to have the Gen 4 you deserve. ;)

I've only shot two USPSA matches myself and remain stunned by the complexity of the stage planning element to really run the course of fire efficiently with the experienced kids.

Just in general what was the match like? Lots of tight shots? I guess some are close range hoser courses but I haven't seen those so much yet.

Chris Rhines
09-02-2013, 07:51 AM
Fredericksburg is a pretty highly regarded match. The stages are usually of similar quality (and difficulty) to what you would find at an Area championship.

There was one stage with mostly hoser targets, but it also had a ton of movement and some awkward angles thrown in. The rest of the stages had a good mix of close and far targets, lots of movement, and some interesting props. Lots of moving targets at this match, both swingers and one roller. One stage has spring-loaded curtains covering the shooting ports, which could be opened by holding down a pull cord - pretty cool. Precise stage planning and good footwork were the order of the day - being half a step out of position on a stage could cost you the view on a target.

JMS
09-02-2013, 08:13 AM
LL's Ludus-colored gun appeared to run fine, suffering only from the loose nut behind the sights.

He'll be along to speak for himself once he's done throwing furniture over the fact that my qualifier-stage supremacy over him increased to 8.5sec faster.....:cool:

Chris encapsulated it pretty well. This was my third match, but am still of the mind that the complexity really doesn't hit until you bobble your plan. I gave myself a helmet fire on the very first stage, one that easily tacked on an extra 10+ sec, all because I didn't take a half second to put my head on a swivel instead of trying to power through it.

JHC
09-02-2013, 08:23 AM
Fredericksburg is a pretty highly regarded match. The stages are usually of similar quality (and difficulty) to what you would find at an Area championship.

There was one stage with mostly hoser targets, but it also had a ton of movement and some awkward angles thrown in. The rest of the stages had a good mix of close and far targets, lots of movement, and some interesting props. Lots of moving targets at this match, both swingers and one roller. One stage has spring-loaded curtains covering the shooting ports, which could be opened by holding down a pull cord - pretty cool. Precise stage planning and good footwork were the order of the day - being half a step out of position on a stage could cost you the view on a target.

Sounds tough!

JHC
09-02-2013, 08:24 AM
LL's Ludus-colored gun appeared to run fine, suffering only from the loose nut behind the sights.

He'll be along to speak for himself once he's done throwing furniture over the fact that my qualifier-stage supremacy over him increased to 8.5sec faster.....:cool:

Chris encapsulated it pretty well. This was my third match, but am still of the mind that the complexity really doesn't hit until you bobble your plan. I gave myself a helmet fire on the very first stage, one that easily tacked on an extra 10+ sec, all because I didn't take a half second to put my head on a swivel instead of trying to power through it.

I'm sure! But even remembering my plan once the timer sounds and I go to "see ball hit ball" mode is tough! ;)

LittleLebowski
09-02-2013, 08:39 AM
I'm sure! But even remembering my plan once the timer sounds and I go to "see ball hit ball" mode is tough! ;)

That was pretty much it. Being that I suck at stage planning at matches, that means to me that I need more matches.

The gun gave me brass to the face with Win Ranger 124gr brass cased range ammo when I first shot it on Thursday. My patience being low with this sort of thing; I ordered a White Sound HRED and APEX extractor since I know I can't trust Glock to make this problem right. The APEX extractor isn't here yet but I installed the HRED and shot the match with. No problems that I noticed.

LittleLebowski
09-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Also, new ejector and 0-4-2 RSA

Failure2Stop
09-02-2013, 10:13 AM
Limited is where the fun is in USPSA.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

Chris Rhines
09-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Limited is awesome, and is probably better practice from a pure shooting/gunhandling standpoint. In Production, you spend a lot of time figuring out how to efficiently break a stage into <10rd. chunks. In Limited (and Open), you don't have to worry about all those reloads, so you can focus more on running around and shooting stuff.

Downside to Limited, is that you really have to shoot .40 to be competitive. :(

I keep threatening to build a 6" Glock with 9mm and .40 top ends, and shooting it in Limited and 3-gun. That could be fun...

punkey71
09-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Limited is awesome, and is probably better practice from a pure shooting/gunhandling standpoint. In Production, you spend a lot of time figuring out how to efficiently break a stage into <10rd. chunks. In Limited (and Open), you don't have to worry about all those reloads, so you can focus more on running around and shooting stuff.

Well, since I'm not really competitive in Production, I can't imagine Limited Minor would be that much of a let down :)

Perhaps full mags in the G19 next match?

JMS, LL...? Who's with me?

I still hear mixed answers on appendix holsters for Limited. Any insight on that Chris? If I could compete like I carry I wouldn't care how poorly I scored due to minor PF.

Also, I couldn't agree more on a fast match and great squad. Fast, efficient and fun.

Harold

Chris Rhines
09-02-2013, 02:28 PM
Well, since I'm not really competitive in Production, I can't imagine Limited Minor would be that much of a let down :) Dude, this was what, your second or third match? Give yourself some time. It took me the better part of five years to get competitive.

I still hear mixed answers on appendix holsters for Limited. Any insight on that Chris? If I could compete like I carry I wouldn't care how poorly I scored due to minor PF. Appendix holsters are completely, absolutely, unambiguously legal in USPSA Limited. In fact, OWB appendix holsters used to be quite popular. There may be certain clubs that discourage or forbid IWB holsters in general, but no rule prohibiting them exists in USPSA.

Failure2Stop
09-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Appendix holsters are completely, absolutely, unambiguously legal in USPSA Limited. In fact, OWB appendix holsters used to be quite popular. There may be certain clubs that discourage or forbid IWB holsters in general, but no rule prohibiting them exists in USPSA.

Suck it IDPA.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

punkey71
09-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Dude, this was what, your second or third match? Give yourself some time. It took me the better part of five years to get competitive.

Uhhh...no. This is my 3rd season, shooting one match a month.

I thought I was depressed before.... thanks. :)

I do think I should compete how I carry though. Shooting one local match a month with gear I don't wear or practice with the other 27-30 days a month may not be best for me.

I think I might give Limited Minor AIWB from concealment a shot next match.

What's the worst that could happen...? :)

Mr_White
09-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Limited is where the fun is in USPSA.

I find it a lot of fun too.

I know this is true, especially at the national level. I am trying to make it work anyway. I've seen it to be competitive at the state level though.

Suck it IDPA.

Exactly.

Mr_White
09-02-2013, 03:20 PM
Uhhh...no. This is my 3rd season, shooting one match a month.

I thought I was depressed before.... thanks. :)

I do think I should compete how I carry though. Shooting one local match a month with gear I don't wear or practice with the other 27-30 days a month may not be best for me.

I think I might give Limited Minor AIWB from concealment a shot next match.

What's the worst that could happen...? :)

That is great, I think you should definitely shoot Limited Minor AIWB from concealment. I have an absolutely great time competing in USPSA that way. It helps instill confidence by providing the opportunity to face having to perform under a level of stress with your real gear. You have to shoot an extremely high percentage of points at the same speed other people are shooting decent points. Shooting Limited Minor concealed AIWB exerts a lot of pressure to shoot well. To win, you would basically have to do better than shooting half as many Cs, with no Ds, mikes, or no-shoots, as your Major scoring competitors, and in the same amount of time, to beat them.

JMS
09-02-2013, 03:51 PM
I think we were able to establish that the venue won't allow AIWB (the PTB won't even allow the venue to be used for professional instruction...), regardless of what the league has to say.

Punkey, that was a question you'd asked on my behalf while you were Pied Piper-ing me into finally trying competition, and it was a hearty "not only no, but @#$% NO!" If that weren't the case, I'd have shot ALL of these from AIWB and in whatever division that requires.

If we didn't establish that AIWB is forbidden by whichever Cretaceous Period pooh-bahs run the place, we should, once and for all.

"The Wookie" essentially convinced me to go ahead and go Limited with a cover garment over what I've been using, presuming AIWB is truly a no-go. I'm not necessarily interested enough (...perhaps "yet...") to drive more than 20min to a competition for no better reason than a holster type when I'm competing mostly-monthly from a 1500 holster, yet weekly from AIWB.

punkey71
09-02-2013, 04:02 PM
I think we were able to establish that the venue won't allow AIWB (the PTB won't even allow the venue to be used for professional instruction...), regardless of what the league has to say.

Punkey, that was a question you'd asked on my behalf while you were Pied Piper-ing me into finally trying competition, and it was a hearty "not only no, but @#$% NO!".

I am thinking I asked the wrong people last time. THEY don't want it, but they may not be speaking on behalf of the club.

I got the impression from "them" that USPSA doesn't allow it. We now know that is false. I believe it is time to push the issue and I will do just that.

Stay tuned...and bring both holsters next match. :)

JMS
09-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Ahhh, gotcha...fingers crossed, then!

punkey71
09-02-2013, 04:34 PM
Ahhh, gotcha...fingers crossed, then!

Of course we can always go with the "Its better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission" plan. :)

JMS
09-02-2013, 04:57 PM
Your ideas are compelling, and I'd like to sign up for your newsletter....

LittleLebowski
09-02-2013, 05:19 PM
I like where this is headed.....

punkey71
09-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Although AIWB being acceptable at Fredericksburg is what I'm hoping for, I realize that is certainly not my current hang up at matches right now.

Talking to other shooters who have seen me for a season or two and getting a little practice with JMS this AM with a timer, my issue seems 90% mental. What I see is someone who got a little better over a few seasons and now thinks is he can go faster than he accurately can. Somewhere between my brain and my fingers the idea of slowing down goes out the window.

At the match I was shooting significantly faster than folks I KNOW are beyond my ability. That is a recipe for disaster, and in my case, a lot of dropped points.

Meaningful, goal oriented practice with a timer is what I need more of. I gotta have it...its my Cowbell, baby!

Anyone willing to make the drive to Fredericksburg Rod & Gun is welcome to join in.

LittleLebowski
09-05-2013, 08:41 AM
punkey71, check your PMs.

punkey71
10-06-2013, 03:29 PM
I like where this is headed.....

Update 10-6-13

Its not just headed there anymore, it IS there!

Santoro and I shot today's match with our carry guns, AIWB, concealed. A M&P for him and a G 19 for me.

I don't really care that Limited Minor is a "disadvantage" in the game. I shot my carry gun and I enjoyed it while also identifying some things to work on.

See you next month! :-) Right..?

Harold

JMS
10-06-2013, 03:49 PM
Yyyep. Nobody batted an eye; some asked a lot of questions.

Once the results to get in, I'll know exactly how embarrassed to be...

Mr_White
10-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Yyyep. Nobody batted an eye; some asked a lot of questions.

Once the results to get in, I'll know exactly how embarrassed to be...

Update 10-6-13

Its not just headed there anymore, it IS there!

Santoro and I shot today's match with our carry guns, AIWB, concealed. A M&P for him and a G 19 for me.

I don't really care that Limited Minor is a "disadvantage" in the game. I shot my carry gun and I enjoyed it while also identifying some things to work on.

See you next month! :-) Right..?

Harold

Right on dudes!!!! I think that is great. Congratulations on trying it that way. I hope you had a great time!

JMS
10-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Using the gun he shoots more often, the holster he wears most of the time, and taking a bit of extra time on the trigger paid off. Harold's showing as 7 of 26 in Limited for that match.

Nice work, dude!

I baked it on the first stage, as usual, and that's the ONLY bit of consistency I encountered. Didn't well enough on the remainder to dig myself out as I have previously. 12 of 26.

punkey71
10-07-2013, 08:20 PM
I'm convinced this what I want to do from now on.

I had a GREAT time as usual and have a feeling of satisfaction knowing I'm doing my best to put the Practical back in my usPsa match.

I sincerely appreciate your encouragement.

Thank you Sir.

Best
Harold

Right on dudes!!!! I think that is great. Congratulations on trying it that way. I hope you had a great time!

punkey71
10-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Thanks Jim. We both did well.

We were 1st & 3rd shooting Minor PF in Limited. Sure, it doesn't matter on the score sheet - just puts our shooting in perspective for us.

...and also tells us we need to shoot more Alphas so PF won't matter. :-)

Using the gun he shoots more often, the holster he wears most of the time, and taking a bit of extra time on the trigger paid off. Harold's showing as 7 of 26 in Limited for that match.

Nice work, dude!