PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 Extractor Woes

Wayne Dobbs
05-17-2011, 09:47 PM
One of my G19s started displaying extraction failures recently with a stoppage about every 150-250 rounds. The fired case sometimes was an in-line stovepipe, sometimes a fired case crossways between the breechface and the barrel hood and sometimes an inline stovepipe with the case mouth towards the breechface. The ammo was brand new Federal 124 FMJ and Federal 124 HST +P. Magazines, springs, etc. were all new or nearly so.

I've been a Glock armorer for over 20 years and have watched literally millions of rounds from this platform and have personally fired a huge chunk (half a million conservatively) through the guns. I like them and have carried them in harm's way here and OCONUS.

When I tried to order parts from Glock, I learned that they were making their staff handle a move to a new facility and the recording indicated that parts orders were going to be a few weeks in processing. Unsat!

I contacted one of their field reps and got an extractor sent to me along with a new extractor depressor plunger spring, SLB and new extractor depressor. The extractor didn't want to drop in and hung on the cylindrical "foot" at the back end. It was one of the new extractors marked with a "1". It finally installed and I went to test fire it today. Results SUCKED big time. The extractor was so tight, that the slide hung partially open 10-12 times per 15 round magazine. I dug though an old parts stash and found one LCI 9mm extractor, dropped it in and the gun ran. Hopefully, the new spring and the stash parts extractor have solved my problem, but I'm not holding my breath. I've noted erratic extraction/ejection for a while with these guns and I'm not happy.

Anybody have feedback on what I may have missed or something else to consider?

jslaker
05-17-2011, 10:11 PM
Wayne, you may want to check out these threads:

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?346-pistol-training.com-2011-Endurance-Test-Gun

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?571-Gen4-19-The-problems-have-started-....

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?764-Gen4-9mm-with-bad-extraction

Short version is that people here have reported changing out RSAs, extractors, and filing the ejector to alter its engagement angle, but there doesn't seem to be a sure-fire way of sorting these guns yet.

Todd's test gun seems to have settled in after its (third) extractor change, but who knows how indicative that is of the actual root of the problems.

JV_
05-18-2011, 05:09 AM
Your problem sounds a lot like mine, Gen 3 or Gen 4?

ToddG
05-18-2011, 07:32 AM
WD -- Presumably this is a 2010 or 2011 production gun, correct?

As commandar pointed out, there have been a lot of different "fixes" applied by various people in an attempt to get late model 9mm Glocks working acceptably. For me, replacing the entire extractor assembly and making sure the particular extractor I was using would drop in and out of the gun more-or-less freely coincided with the problems disappearing. Others have tried a similar approach and still suffered the ejection problems you're reporting.

Perhaps the worst part is that many guns either out of the box or "post DIY fix" will run for ~2,000 rounds before the problems begin (again). Conventional wisdom that 200rd of duty/carry ammo will prove reliability does not seem to apply to the current production 9mm Glocks.

Glock Inc in Georgia and Glock Ges.m.b.H. in Austria are both well aware of the problem. Austria is actively working on a fix based on a ton of work done by the folks in the US.

Prdator
05-18-2011, 09:11 AM
WD,

Have you tried any other extractors for fit? as you know the extractor needs to have some wiggle room. If you need one let me know, I have a few laying around.

Also I've been running this (http://www.whitesounddefense.com/products/H.R.E.D.-9mm.html) in my new gen 4 17 and have over 2K though it now and have had one FTE, ( on the next to the last round of the standards this last weekend:rolleyes:)

Let us know what happens.

LittleLebowski
05-18-2011, 09:45 AM
I just put that part into my Gen4 G19, Prdator. Hope it fixes the stovepiping issue.

Wayne Dobbs
05-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Guys,

The G19 in question is a Gen 3 with S/N MDD4** so I don't know the year of mfg, but I would suspect it's about 2008-2009. Glockmeister used to have a resource where you could check the year of manufacture online, but apparently, it's no longer on their site.

The gun ran fine yesterday for about 300 rounds and I'm going to keep track of it for a while and see what happens. I was really ticked that the new extractor sent to me for a "fix" didn't work at all!

I will give that new extractor "power" system a try...looks interesting and they take the time to give a detailed explanation of why and how it works. Edit: just ordered the system and a couple of their EDP springs and will start the testing quest with them.

And prdator: you had an FTE during standards and I had a dud factory round during them...guess the gremlins were alive and well at USSA!

Thanks for the input guys.

LittleLebowski
05-18-2011, 10:15 AM
I have somewhat high hopes for the H.R.E.D part....

JV_
05-18-2011, 10:42 AM
I increased the extractor tension by using a pre LCI spring bearing, it didn't help. I would expect the spring only setup to behave similarly.

Al T.
05-18-2011, 10:52 AM
I have two G19s (new) that dribble the brass out and have an erratic ejection pattern. Not enough rounds down range in either to confirm/deny reliability.

Pennzoil
05-18-2011, 01:14 PM
I tried a number of things with mine and no luck. Mine seemed to behave for awhile (200-1000rds) and when I thought I had it fixed it would just fall apart. Between shipping, ammo for testing and getting some parts on my own (LCI #3#4,pre-LCI&spring bearing) it's been complete disaster. Still love my other Glocks but I gave up on my problem child finally.

Hope you have better luck with yours.

bmg
05-18-2011, 10:44 PM
I have somewhat high hopes for the H.R.E.D part....

I don't have enough rounds through my gen4 G19 with the HRED part yet, but things have been perfect for the 395 rounds I've put through it so far. On a couple of occasions I've just pointed at the berm and watched the brass ejecting for a mag or two, and so far ejection is extremely consistent. Too early to draw any definite conclusions, but promising so far. It'll be really interesting to see how the HRED work for you.

JV_
05-19-2011, 05:39 AM
Swapping out my recoil spring (ISMI 18#) made the biggest difference, for me. It ran great for almost a 2000 round challenge, then lost it again. Failures started to crop up every 150 rounds after that.

So, I wouldn't get your hopes up for one long stretch of goodness.

Chuck Haggard
05-19-2011, 09:18 AM
Wayne,

This is the same part you asked me about last weekend;

Also I've been running this (http://www.whitesounddefense.com/pro....E.D.-9mm.html).....

Wayne Dobbs
05-19-2011, 10:45 AM
tpd223,

I figured it was. I've already ordered a couple and hope they solve the problem. The most maddening thing about all of this is that Glock 9mm pistols have been the gold standard in durability and reliability for over 20 years and NOW they quit working? That is just UNSAT! Sometimes "progress" ain't progress at all.

Wayne

Chuck Haggard
05-19-2011, 11:20 PM
I concur with your assessment.

My G19 just started to up and choke on me after a couple thousand rounds, normally that many rounds without a failure means you are GTG, apparently not any longer.

I suspect, with little proof, that Glock has let the QC on small parts slide, possibly due to outsourcing them. I can see cheap springs crapping out much quicker, which would cause some of the issues that I am seeing.

DocGKR
05-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Fully agree with what Wayne Dobbs and tpd223 stated above--it is a sad day indeed when one can no longer trust a new 3rd gen 9 mm Glock to work without problems.

Glock has apparently joined Kimber and Sig in ruining previously good, reliable pistol designs in order to squeeze a few dollars more profit on each sale. I would much rather see manufacturers who feel the need to increase profit raise their prices, rather than reduce quality, reliability, and durability. If S&W pulled it's corporate head out of its rectum, they could dominate the LE market, yet it continues to appear that S&W's corporate "leadership" is inexplicably intent on destroying all the goodwill and market share that S&W's superb LE reps have tried to generate for the company. Makes HK's and custom 1911 start to look good...

NGCSUGrad09
05-20-2011, 09:21 AM
Fully agree with what Wayne Dobbs and tpd223 stated above--it is a sad day indeed when one can no longer trust a new 3rd gen 9 mm Glock to work without problems.

Glock has apparently joined Kimber and Sig in ruining previously good, reliable pistol designs in order to squeeze a few dollars more profit on each sale. I would much rather see manufacturers who feel the need to increase profit raise their prices, rather than reduce quality, reliability, and durability. If S&W pulled it's corporate head out of its rectum, they could dominate the LE market, yet it continues to appear that S&W's corporate "leadership" is inexplicably intent on destroying all the goodwill and market share that S&W's superb LE reps have tried to generate for the company. Makes HK's and custom 1911 start to look good...

I wouldn't necessarily compare them to Sig or Kimber in strategy. Problems are coming from Glock in Austria acts as an overlord to Glock USA, which makes it hard for the guys here to get stuff done. Also, the guys here are kept in the dark on a lot until after the fact on changes to parts, revisions, etc. I do know that they're trying to fix the fleas. It's not that they don't want to, it's just a difficult process.

Does it make the guns that aren't working better? No. But I wouldn't write them off as the next Sig just yet. It seems everyone is going through some growing pains right now.

KeeFus
05-20-2011, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't write Glock off just yet...but I have yet to understand why Glock decided to change the guide rod/spring from the Gen 3 version. It was working just fine. Understandably they needed to change the G-22 because it was having issues. Honestly, you couldn't sell me a Gen 4 right now due to these problems.

LittleLebowski
05-20-2011, 10:11 AM
I have yet to understand why Glock decided to change the guide rod/spring from the Gen 3 version. It was working just fine. Understandably they needed to change the G-22 because it was having issues.

It was all about parts interchangeability and cost savings.

DocGKR
05-20-2011, 11:41 AM
NGCSUGrad09--I don't disagree that a lot of the problems have been brought on by unanticipated changes done by management in Austria; however that does NOT excuse Glock USA for it's incredibly poor response to complaints of problems by agencies including the initial outright denials that any problems were occurring, intimidating officers at agencies that have reported issues, and not clearly documenting and reporting problems to other agencies.

JHC
05-20-2011, 02:14 PM
NGCSUGrad09--I don't disagree that a lot of the problems have been brought on by unanticipated changes done by management in Austria; however that does NOT excuse Glock USA for it's incredibly poor response to complaints of problems by agencies including the initial outright denials that any problems were occurring, intimidating officers at agencies that have reported issues, and not clearly documenting and reporting problems to other agencies.

You single them out. Did S&W report to all agencies that they had to refit NC troopers .357 Sigs to fix the dead trigger issues? (discussed on M4C too) Did they notify ME? My gun had some reset issues. No they just gradually work some changes into production year(s) later.

Were those officers covered under an NDA and was there a question that they might be violating that NDA? Not sayin' they were but since you are dialed into that scene, you might know.

There isn't a dime's difference from one company to the next in these matters with very few exceptions.

DocGKR
05-20-2011, 02:49 PM
The S&W LE reps we deal with have been very good about letting us know when problems crop up and what fixes might work; in contrast, with the exception of Tueller, most Glock reps have stonewalled and tried to dance around problems. The officers I personally know who Glock has tried to intimidate and inveigle were NOT under any NDA, nor were their agencies. Nonetheless, S&W can be just as insolent and insipid as Glock, which is why I wrote:

"..yet it continues to appear that S&W's corporate "leadership" is inexplicably intent on destroying all the goodwill and market share that S&W's superb LE reps have tried to generate for the company.".

Pennzoil
05-20-2011, 02:59 PM
There isn't a dime's difference from one company to the next in these matters with very few exceptions.

Alot of dimes in difference between one company to another for me. Some companies will pay for shipping if you have an issue with a pistol and some won't unless you have pull or know someone.

JHC
05-21-2011, 04:51 AM
The S&W LE reps we deal with have been very good about letting us know when problems crop up and what fixes might work; in contrast, with the exception of Tueller, most Glock reps have stonewalled and tried to dance around problems. The officers I personally know who Glock has tried to intimidate and inveigle were NOT under any NDA, nor were their agencies. Nonetheless, S&W can be just as insolent and insipid as Glock, which is why I wrote:

Thanks Doc, I do appreciate you adding that detail as this particular has been referred to occassionally by insiders without that degree of context since mid last year as I recall. I think it was Indiana State Police that had issues with G22s and reports suggested poor response which resulted in converting to 9mm. Seems the marquee account NYPD got extensive attention during their Phase 3 crisis some years back.

Penzoil - I see your point but a generous CS dept alone does not sway me that much. I'm looking for deeply integrated TQM so that users don't have to settle for availing themselves of friendly CS so freaking often or so repeatedly for the same issues. Which in turn harkens to Todd's posts on some threads here about how quality control has gotten derailed across numerous gun companies as they drive costs out of their processes to remain competitive in a market dominated by lowest common demoninator buyers.

Combine that with less than highly developed leadership to establish finely tuned standards of consistent service and messaging across a population of sales reps and it is insanely easy to get this patchwork of great responsiveness in one area and stonewalling in others. Account reps hired principally on a basis of personal networking is I suspect, a danger for many of these companies.

I'm approaching a month just trying to get some feedback, any feedback - about a very a highly sought after AR upper I returned to the builder (on my own dime)- which would group 55 grain loads into a couple inches consistently but 77 grain Black Hills into 8-10 inch "patterns" at 100 yards. I'm not outing them and still giving them more time to get some information back to me. They are one of the "darling's" of the hard use community yet I sense they don't have their "quality systems" quite up to a level where those can keep up with their success/volume.

Unfortunately, pinching pennies and "squeezing another almightly dollar" out of their operations is probably necessary for most of these gun companies - which are effectively rather small companies in the scheme of things. Todd has explained this dynamic already better than I could repeat.

Chuck Haggard
05-21-2011, 06:24 AM
Indiana State Police that had issues with G22s and reports suggested poor response which resulted in converting to 9mm.

Somewhat but not exactly, but that's a rather long story in which my agency is also involved with Glock issues during the same time frame.

Pennzoil
05-21-2011, 08:20 AM
See your point and agree JHC. I had a horrible experience with an expensive AR upper little over a year ago so I can relate there also. Hope your upper issue works out for you.

Seen this on M4C and wonder if it's extractor related?
Oakland PD Glock 9mm recall (http://www.foxreno.com/news/27972227/detail.html)

JHC
05-21-2011, 10:02 AM
See your point and agree JHC. I had a horrible experience with an expensive AR upper little over a year ago so I can relate there also. Hope your upper issue works out for you.

I saw it too and wonder if it's the dept DocGKR has alluded to. (Doc, it's rhetorical, I don't mean to bait for an answer ;)

Chuck Haggard
05-21-2011, 01:13 PM

Weird, the last I knew they were issuing Glock 22s, which also had serious issues.

DocGKR
05-21-2011, 01:24 PM
OPD was not one of the agencies I was referring to...however multiple agencies have been having problems. One of the reasons why OPD finally transitioned pistols was because of persistent malfunctions with their previous 3rd gen G22's when lights were mounted...now in the ultimate twist if irony, they find their "new improved" 4th gen Glocks to be even more problematic than the older handguns. Hmmm, Color me surprised...

Chuck Haggard
05-21-2011, 01:34 PM
You can color me pissed off, going to the Glock 9mm from the .40s they had issues with was advice that I gave them, as well as other folks I'm sure.

Pennzoil
05-21-2011, 03:36 PM
Weird, the last I knew they were issuing Glock 22s, which also had serious issues.

Article says 9mm and then the video says 40cal so I'm :confused: now myself.

DocGKR
05-22-2011, 12:10 AM
I believe they transitioned from 3rd gen G22 to 4th gen G22, and now back to the old problematic 3rd gen G22's...

JM Campbell
05-22-2011, 08:44 AM
I believe they transitioned from 3rd gen G22 to 4th gen G22, and now back to the old problematic 3rd gen G22's...

This really makes me stop and think about getting into the Glock platform, I am now swinging more in the direction of the HK P2000/SK to add to the stable.

DocGKR
05-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Why add anything to the stable?

If you already have a pistol that works well for you, buy two or three identical ones so you can carry one, train with another, and perhaps have a spare at home ready to take the place of a broken one or arm a family member if the need arises.

Spending funds on additional training is far wiser than wasting money on more guns...

JHC
05-22-2011, 11:31 AM

If you already have a pistol that works well for you, buy two or three identical ones so you can carry one, train with another, and perhaps have a spare at home ready to take the place of a broken one or arm a family member if the need arises.

Spending funds on additional training is far wiser than wasting money on more guns...

You keep telling us this and we keep buying guns. ;) Seriously, that's some of the best advice possible. Actually we're pretty much tapped out in that respect building a battery of well running Glock 9mms; Generations 2, 3 and 4. That and 12-15K rounds of 9mm per year doesn't leave a lot of scratch for starting over with new guns, expensive magazines, holsters, tritium sights etc.

But - before I get a whole lot older, I'd like to give a P30 a good run as I did with an M&P last year.

I'm anxious to hear some of the rumors of factory Glock coming out with extractor and ejector remedies - turn into facts on the ground.

JM Campbell
05-22-2011, 01:07 PM
I only have a P30ls right now so another two would be the ideal.
I was considering the Glock for the with since she does not care for P30, I'm not to keen on handing her a firearm that just might have a prob. I kinda want to keep this one around, hell she puts up with me so she's a keeper.

I have really never liked the Glocks ergos and the Gen 4 addressed that and since the wife has small hands it would be a good fit. That's where the P2000/sk came in, it's a little smaller then the P30.

All the no bs reports are eye opening since I have no connection to law enforcement and their trials/tribulations with any platform. Thanks for the insight on how the agency's aren't even getting taken care of.

ToddG
05-23-2011, 07:42 AM
<...>

This. One of the biggest turning points in my shooting career came in the mid-90's when I sold off almost every gun I owned, even my awesome little 10/22, and spent all of that money on learning how to shoot the gun I kept loaded by the bedside every night.

jslaker
05-23-2011, 08:25 AM

It's funny because I just bought a new gun so that I could devote additional funds on training. I made the decision a couple of months back that I wanted to move to 9mm for carry and training purposes because I generally shoot it better and it's considerably less expensive that the .40 I bought when I didn't know any better.

Granted, it's going to take me a while to recoup the ~$560 I spent after taxes, but in the long term I see it being a positive purchase.

DocGKR
05-23-2011, 01:30 PM
If someone does not have an adequate firearm or previously selected some unwisely, then they will likely need to buy a couple of good ones, along with selling off any firearms that are no longer serving their needs.

I have gotten rid of all my Berettas, Glocks in calibers other than 9 mm, Hi-Powers, HK's, Sigs, 3rd gen S&W's, K and L frames, and most of my 1911's as they no longer served my shooting needs and were just taking up space.

Kyle Reese
05-23-2011, 01:32 PM
If someone does not have an adequate firearm or previously selected some unwisely, then they will likely need to buy a couple of good ones, along with selling off any firearms that are no longer serving their needs.

I have gotten rid of all my Berettas, Glocks in calibers other than 9 mm, Hi-Powers, HK's, Sigs, 3rd gen S&W's, K and L frames, and most of my 1911's as they no longer served my shooting needs and were just taking up space.

Doc,
You've summed up exactly why I'm selling off my USP/P7/M&P's for additional Glock 17 Gen 3's and perhaps a P30.

JHC
05-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Same here, across recent years I've sold off five 1911s, two BHPs, a M&P Pro 9 and a Sig P220. I have a 92FS for training the lads in this weapon as they will certainly encounter it in uniform. No other semiautos now. Lotsa Glocks and that 92FS is all.

Still have too many wheel guns but they've been in the fold for decades and have a lot of family history to them.

Now if I could afford to just keep them all, I'd do it, just so others could sample options.

fuse
05-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Doc,
You've summed up exactly why I'm selling off my USP/P7/M&P's for additional Glock 17 Gen 3's and perhaps a P30.

Since its apparently confessional time,

The number of sigs I own compared to the number I used to own is a vastly different number.

Chuck Haggard
05-24-2011, 08:16 AM
I've basically sold off all my serious handguns that aren't J frames or Glock 9mms.

I lucked into an older H series G17 for sale the other day, normally I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I scarfed this one up just to get a gun from back in the good old days when Glock arguably made the most reliable and durable pistol ever.

JV_
05-24-2011, 08:22 AM
but I scarfed this one up just to get a gun from back in the good old days when Glock arguably made the most reliable and durable pistol ever.I'm with you. I almost never consider used guns but recently picked up a gen3 17 (on a trade) and 19, both over 4 years old. The 17 needed a new striker and striker block, I hope it proves to be worthwhile.

Chuck Haggard
05-24-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm with you. I almost never consider used guns but recently picked up a gen3 17 (on a trade) and 19, both over 4 years old. The 17 needed a new striker and striker block, I hope it proves to be worthwhile.

It probably isn't, so I'll give you fifty bucks for it, and I'll even pay shipping to KS!:p

JHC
05-24-2011, 01:56 PM
I'm with you. I almost never consider used guns but recently picked up a gen3 17 (on a trade) and 19, both over 4 years old. The 17 needed a new striker and striker block, I hope it proves to be worthwhile.

Use Glock 9mms are a pretty sure thing. Some years back picked up a couple Gen 2 G19s that just ran and ran. Took them to Smyrna after a few years and got the free Inspect and Upgrade which 40 mins later turned over to me to completely rebuilt Gen 2s.

Wayne Dobbs
06-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Based on some of your posts and tpd223's direct recommendation a few weeks ago, I bought two of the White Sound Defense High Reliability Extractor Depressor assemblies and dropped one into the problematic Glock 19 to see what, if anything, happened with the extraction problems.

Before I tell you about the preliminary results, let me say that I've amassed a goodly portion of Glock experience from both the operational, training and armorer standpoints over the past 20+ years. I've estimated the rounds I've watched go downrange from the platform at well over a million and it may be two or three times that now as the number grows at over 10K rounds per every two weeks now at my new job. Most of those have been 9mm rounds and second place is the .40 S&W. I've been a bit leery of the system's extraction and ejection, since I've not seen a pistol that will consistently pass the standard ejection test. That is, to load the chamber, remove the magazine and fire the chambered round and the ejected case should eject OUT the ejection port. The fired case almost ALWAYS ejects down the magazine well and many times, it traps between the breechface and the feed ramp while trying to make it down the magazine well. This long noted deficiency bothered me, but almost all the guns I saw (2nd and 3rd Generation) guns ran so well I just dismissed it. That is until the current problems appeared and brought them back to my attention.

I read the technical explanation that White Sound Defense posted about how their replacement assembly was designed to work and it made sense, but all I really cared about was whether their part, called the HRED, would work for me.

After dropping it in, I took four magazines of 15 rounds (Federal 124 FMJ) and started shooting it. The gun was dirty, but well lubed when I ran this short test. It has a Vickers magazine catch and slide stop lever, but is otherwise mechanically stock. I would lock a magazine in place, chamber a round and then pull the magazine and fire the round. Of the 60 round preliminary test, two stovepiped with the case mouth pointing outboard of the ejection port and three ejected down the magazine well. The other 55 ejected CLEANLY 10-12' TO THE RIGHT OF THE SHOOTING POSITION. This is extremely encouraging to me at this point, as I've never seen that level of extraction and ejection from this platform. I've now fired about 250 trouble free rounds after this quick test. I think that White Sound may be onto something here!

LittleLebowski
06-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Wayne, I am taking the HRED to the Vickers class this month and this is very encouraging. What recoil spring were you running?

Wayne Dobbs
06-06-2011, 09:14 PM
The stock factory recoil spring assembly.

LittleLebowski
06-07-2011, 04:25 AM
The stock factory recoil spring assembly.

Dang, I was hoping it was a Gen4 gun.

JHC
06-07-2011, 05:49 AM
Based on some of your posts and tpd223's direct recommendation a few weeks ago, I bought two of the White Sound Defense High Reliability Extractor Depressor assemblies and dropped one into the problematic Glock 19 to see what, if anything, happened with the extraction problems.

Before I tell you about the preliminary results, let me say that I've amassed a goodly portion of Glock experience from both the operational, training and armorer standpoints over the past 20+ years. I've estimated the rounds I've watched go downrange from the platform at well over a million and it may be two or three times that now as the number grows at over 10K rounds per every two weeks now at my new job. Most of those have been 9mm rounds and second place is the .40 S&W. I've been a bit leery of the system's extraction and ejection, since I've not seen a pistol that will consistently pass the standard ejection test. That is, to load the chamber, remove the magazine and fire the chambered round and the ejected case should eject OUT the ejection port. The fired case almost ALWAYS ejects down the magazine well and many times, it traps between the breechface and the feed ramp while trying to make it down the magazine well. This long noted deficiency bothered me, but almost all the guns I saw (2nd and 3rd Generation) guns ran so well I just dismissed it. That is until the current problems appeared and brought them back to my attention.

I read the technical explanation that White Sound Defense posted about how their replacement assembly was designed to work and it made sense, but all I really cared about was whether their part, called the HRED, would work for me.

After dropping it in, I took four magazines of 15 rounds (Federal 124 FMJ) and started shooting it. The gun was dirty, but well lubed when I ran this short test. It has a Vickers magazine catch and slide stop lever, but is otherwise mechanically stock. I would lock a magazine in place, chamber a round and then pull the magazine and fire the round. Of the 60 round preliminary test, two stovepiped with the case mouth pointing outboard of the ejection port and three ejected down the magazine well. The other 55 ejected CLEANLY 10-12' TO THE RIGHT OF THE SHOOTING POSITION. This is extremely encouraging to me at this point, as I've never seen that level of extraction and ejection from this platform. I've now fired about 250 trouble free rounds after this quick test. I think that White Sound may be onto something here!

Thanks, I learned a lot from that post. I have never run that test on any of my Glocks.

ADK
06-07-2011, 07:00 AM
Just FYI, I called White Sound recently with technical questions regarding making .40->9 conversion barrels run reliably (I know, silly stuff but it's what I've got for now--the HRED already has made my .40 run perfectly). While the head honcho didn't actually have any experience with conversion barrels, he chatted with me for close to an hour about all sorts of technical details I'd never considered, how different parts are different and why, how to check for best fit, etc. Very nice and knowledgable guy. A LOT of R&D and field testing by some serious people have gone into the HREDs--way more than I had realized. I had to cut the conversation short to get to a work meeting.

And, in the end, even though I went into the call trying to figure out whether buying another (different caliber) HRED would be necessary, he did NOT steer me in that direction (theoretically, it was unnecessary), but offered to send me one for free to try out if I wanted.

I told him to get White Sound's name and distribution channels out there more, as they clearly have good stuff to contribute, and it would be good to see a customer-focused, passionately run American business succeed.

Call him up and give your thoughts/experiences, he's eager for them.

ToddG
06-07-2011, 08:01 AM
I've not seen a pistol that will consistently pass the standard ejection test. That is, to load the chamber, remove the magazine and fire the chambered round and the ejected case should eject OUT the ejection port. The fired case almost ALWAYS ejects down the magazine well and many times, it traps between the breechface and the feed ramp while trying to make it down the magazine well.

This is not exclusive to Glocks. The same thing will often happen with SIGs, M&Ps, and HKs in my experience. Beretta may be the only company totally free of this due to the fact that its ejection port is 180 degrees and about four inches long.

I wouldn't consider the ejection path sans-magazine an issue. I've shot many very reliable guns that would not properly eject a spent case when the mag was removed before firing.

Al T.
06-07-2011, 09:22 AM
This is extremely encouraging to me at this point, as I've never seen that level of extraction and ejection from this platform.

IMHO, salient point right there. HRED improved his ejection with that quick test.

I've won small bets when I tell new folks their Glocks need the magazine to eject properly. :D

Wayne Dobbs
06-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Todd,

I understand that the test is a bit of a reach for some guns, but the Glocks are the worst performers at it. I've tested my Sigs and M&Ps and they pass it the vast majority of the time. I'm going to keep testing it and see how it does with the HRED. The worst thing about all of this is how Glock has allowed what is arguably the most reliable 9mm service pistol platform ever to turn into a problematic gun over making more money per unit.

Chuck Haggard
06-07-2011, 11:33 PM
I still don't trust it yet, but the G19 I was having problems with now has the HRED installed and I've gotten several hundreds rounds through it so far without issue.

Al T.
06-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Gents, is the ejection pattern improved?

Force Majeure
06-08-2011, 04:22 PM
This is not exclusive to Glocks. The same thing will often happen with SIGs, M&Ps, and HKs in my experience. Beretta may be the only company totally free of this due to the fact that its ejection port is 180 degrees and about four inches long.

I wouldn't consider the ejection path sans-magazine an issue. I've shot many very reliable guns that would not properly eject a spent case when the mag was removed before firing.

I used to have the same problem with my G-19 on ball and dummy drills till I had my partner start putting the mag in.

Chuck Haggard
06-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Well, I went back to the range yesterday, and with Remington 115gr JHP I had four in-line stove-pipes, one where the brass was caught up in the works sitting backwards, case mouth on the breechface, and one with WWB.

Of concern is that when I Tap>Roll/Rack>Bang/Go/Ready/Whatever-the-current-PC-term-is on these malfs I get the brass clearing the gun along with the next live round in the stack also hitting the deck.

I started monkeying around with parts from our collection of old confiscation guns and found that an extractor (non LCI) from an old two letter prefix gen 2 G19 gave the gun very positive ejection, with a very nice consistent pattern of the brass clearing the gun and landing in a pile.

I need to play with it more, but at this point this G19 is making me crazy.

I'd really like to get ahold of one of those modified ejectors that Roger's school is using with the .040 cut back and 10 degree angle added.

I'd pay money for a few of those.

JV_
06-12-2011, 09:52 AM
I'd really like to get ahold of one of those modified ejectors that Roger's school is using with the .040 cut back and 10 degree angle added. I made a few; I would just send the gun back.

It helped clean up the ejection a bit, specifically - I had fewer brass to the head, but I still had stovepipe problems.

JV_
06-12-2011, 10:19 AM
As a side item: Those shortened ejectors have worked nicely in my Gen3 guns. I had a couple guns that would throw brass at my head when doing SHO drills, mostly when I was shooting with a cant. It made a big difference for those guns.

TCinVA
06-12-2011, 10:21 AM
I'd have to agree with JV on that...you've gone to hurculean lengths to try and get that pistol running. It may be time to send it back to the mothership.

Chuck Haggard
06-12-2011, 11:26 AM
you've gone to hurculean lengths

I am well known for tilting at windmills.

Frankly, I don't trust that Glock will have an answer due to my involvement with the (continuing) G22 issues that I have noted since 2006.

This G19 is a department gun. It's likely the highest round count G19 on my department simply due to the fact that I've been shooting it. Down the road someone else is going to be having the same problems.

With the trend seeming to be that many of these guns are reliable until they hit the 1000-2000 round mark, I'd like to figure out why, and what to do about it when Glock again tells me it's limp wristing/ammo/grip/wrong light/bad karma/sun spots/phase of the moon in Venus is all wrong.

I'd also like to see if the modified ejector will fix the constant brass to my head problem that some of my other 3rd gen 9mms have.

Chuck Haggard
06-12-2011, 04:58 PM
As a side item: Those shortened ejectors have worked nicely in my Gen3 guns. I had a couple guns that would throw brass at my head when doing SHO drills, mostly when I was shooting with a cant. It made a big difference for those guns.

Exactly what I am hoping for.

ToddG
06-13-2011, 06:29 AM
This G19 is a department gun. It's likely the highest round count G19 on my department simply due to the fact that I've been shooting it. Down the road someone else is going to be having the same problems.

All the more reason to bounce it to Glock, IMHO. Start a paper trail now. They can say it's limp wristing or ammo or whatever, but at this point they couldn't tell you that with a straight face. It's not like "G19 extraction/ejection problems" is unheard of these days.

Chuck Haggard
06-13-2011, 12:17 PM
They can say it's limp wristing or ammo or whatever, but at this point they couldn't tell you that with a straight face. It's not like "G19 extraction/ejection problems" is unheard of these days.

And yet this was the exact track they used on me when I had 350 department G22s that didn't want to work, at the exact same time Indiana had over 850 G22s that didn't want to run. I could argue that the problems with the Glock 22 are even more widely known, but Glock stills follows the script on those issues.

I'm going to fiddle fart around with this for a bit, but I'll likely end up sending it back to Glock just because, after I do a bit more range research.

One reason I'm hanging onto this gun is it's the first 3rd gen 9mm I have ever seen that wasn't reliable. Gives me a research platform in case I run into this on a future Glock purchase.
I'd also like to see if I can come up with a reliable fix for the annoying brass to the face thing.

Chuck Haggard
06-19-2011, 04:27 PM
I spent a few hours at the range last weekend. G19 was still crapping the bed.

I ended up stealing parts from several older gun, including 2nd gen G19s and a older 3rd gen G17 range gun we keep around. G19 instantly starts working after a swap of the extractor and ejector from the G17, even with the old SLB assembly installed. I don't get brass in the face either.

G17 works in a limited test fire with the parts from the G19 on board.

I shoot an IPSC match today, G19 still runs fine, with four different flavors of ammo, and no brass in the face.

Frakking tolerance stack up appears to be the issue with this particular 3rd gen G19

Another 1000 rounds and maybe I'll trust this thing again.

JHC
06-19-2011, 05:22 PM
Frakkin amazing about this tolerance stack thing! Great data points, random though they may be.

Steve m
06-21-2011, 03:04 AM
Little Lewboski,

Did switching out the part help your Gen 4 glock 19?

Chuck Haggard
07-04-2011, 11:22 PM
I put the souped up extractor spring assembly back in the gun and did some more shooting today. With the old extractor and ejector, and the new spring assembly, brass dropped consistently at about 4-5 o'clock. I had very few come straight back, maybe three rounds, and those were well ejected and flew clean over my head. That was from very old 115gr PMC stuff I was burning up so it may be more ammo related than the gun.

I also had my daughter shoot the gun and found the ejection pattern was similar. We both shot everything from WWB to 127gr +P+, no issues.

Mr_White
07-05-2011, 05:57 PM
I think I just freaked out over nothing because my G34 was not liking some Blazer 124gr Cleanfire ammo a few weeks ago. I had a couple of stovepipes and was afraid I was beginning to have some of the same problems others here are having. The report of some of the rounds of that ammo really sounded funny, so I bet that was the problem. Not quite like a squib load, but not too far off of that either. Really weak and strange sounding. I was also being cheap and using some five or six year old G17 mags that were really pretty beat. I replaced those with new ones, then went on a tear, shooting like a thousand rounds in a week to re-prove the G34 to myself. Haven't had any problems since then, so I blame the ammo.

Chuck Haggard
08-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Googling a couple of nights ago I found this on a gunsmith forum, I thought it very similar to the ejector fix that Headhunter describes they used at the Roger's school;

I was having this same problem of erratic ejection in one of my two 3rd Gen G19s. It was happening with all my ammo, from anemic bulk pack 115 grain stuff to 124 gr NATO stuff to 147 gr FMJ and JHPs. About a third of the time the fired case would land about 3-5' to the shooter's right rear, about a third of the time over the shooter's head (or into his forehead), and a third of the time straight up in the air or forward.

It was happening across a number of shooting sessions, when I was shooting and when I had a friend who is a nationally-known firearms instructor shoot it. We had a couple of spare ejectors on hand, so we dremeled a bit (only about .013") off the tip of the ejector in the gun. Immediately we went out again and tried about 5-10 rds of each ammo type that had previously shown the erratic ejection. The problem was now gone. With all the types of ammo the gun was now consistently depositing its fired cases to the shooter's right rear. We both shot the gun and both experienced the improvement.

My belief is that this was a case of tolerance stacking, that the unique combination of dimensions of slide, extractor, frame, trigger housing, and ejector in this particular gun had added up to cause the problem.

Things that make you go Hmmmmmmmmmm.......

I know getting a stovepipe and getting bonked in the face by brass seems to be two different issues, but I have come to strongly believe they are one and the same issue, and that these are directly related to the whole Phase III mess at NYPD, with only varying degrees of difficulty to the shooter as to how things manifest during a shooting string.

NickDrak
08-31-2011, 08:08 PM
The tech support rep I spoke with on the phone last week when i called to request the new 02-4 RSA for my month old G17 told me there is now a "break in period" for the extractors on the Gen4 guns. Never thought I would hear that in-reference to a 9mm Glock.

JV_
08-31-2011, 08:14 PM
FWIW: It looks like there are new 9mm extractors that are trickling in. They are marked with numbers in the same location as the current "dip" extractors, but they lack a "dip" and have a glossier finish.

Kyle Reese
08-31-2011, 08:14 PM
The tech support rep I spoke with on the phone last week when i called to request the new 02-4 RSA for my month old G17 told me there is now a "break in period" for the extractors on the Gen4 guns. Never thought I would hear that in-reference to a 9mm Glock.

Did they say how long this break in period was?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

JV_
08-31-2011, 08:15 PM
Did they say how long this break in period was?Indefinite :p

NickDrak
08-31-2011, 08:37 PM
FWIW: It looks like there are new 9mm extractors that are trickling in. They are marked with numbers in the same location as the current "dip" extractors, but they lack a "dip" and have a glossier finish.

I had asked him if there were any revisions to the extractors, and I was told "no". That is when he mentioned that there was a break-in period for the extractors. I should had asked him for a detailed explanation on this "break-in" period but thought he was just giving me the new company line to replace the old "limp-wristing" line.

I'm gonna call back tomorrow to see what some one else will tell me regarding the extractors....

NickDrak
09-07-2011, 01:34 PM
I paid the "extractor fairy" a visit today and he was kind enough to give me an older Gen3 LCI (non-dip cut) 9mm extractor today (thanks Ray O'Herron's Co.!). I was kind of surprised at the obvious differences between the extractor that came in my Gen4 G17 and this older LCI 9mm extractor. The older extractor that was given to me today has what appears to be an "6." or "B."marking on it. The "Dip" extractor has a "4" on it.

Pic of marking on the older non-dip cut extractor that was given to me today:
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/5061/sdc11371.jpg

Notice the amount and location of the forging marks on the original Gen4 "Dip" extractor that came in my G17 compared to the older LCI extractor (Gen4 "Dip" extractor with home polishing job on top, Older non-dip cut LCI extractor on bottom):
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/7636/sdc11360js.jpghttp://img43.imageshack.us/img43/7897/sdc11368p.jpg

Other side:
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/935/sdc11362o.jpghttp://img12.imageshack.us/img12/2016/sdc11367q.jpg

Some extractor observations....

I dont like to speculate, but from the pictures it should be obvious that that these two extractors were manufactured differently. The forging marks are different and it appears that the finishing (tumbling/burnishing, etc) was done more thoroughly on the older extractor.

The claw of the older non-dip cut extractor is much sharper than the one that originally came in my Gen4 G17.

I am willing to wager that this older version extractor that was given to me today will cure my extraction issues. I hope to run atleast 200rds thru it on this coming Monday. Range report to follow....

Chuck Haggard
09-08-2011, 12:09 AM
"break in?"

Complete BS. Many of the guns I see with issues now don't start to have problems until they get over 1000 rounds through the gun.

ToddG
09-08-2011, 06:54 AM
Many of the guns I see with issues now don't start to have problems until they get over 1000 rounds through the gun.

Concur.

JHC
09-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Great comparison pics NickDrak. I'll have to take a close look at the hooks on our four excellent running Gen 4's. From memory of my infrequent cleanings, I perceive them much sharper like your old one than the round contours of the original one, which could explain something.

NickDrak
09-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Made it out to the range today. Great results with the newly installed non-dip cut extractor I was given last week. I also kept the White Sound H.R.E.D. installed.

Drills I shot:
Tri-dot drill
Dot torture
10-8 pistol standards
CSAT standards
FAST
Bill drill

Ammo used was 115gr Winchester white box from wally world. 425rds total fired. Zero malfunctions. Extraction/ejection was very consistent. No casings to the head. Everything was ejecting @ 4-5 o'clock.

Good times!

LittleLebowski
09-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Made it out to the range today. Great results with the newly installed non-dip cut extractor I was given last week. I also kept the White Sound H.R.E.D. installed.

Drills I shot:
Tri-dot drill
Dot torture
10-8 pistol standards
CSAT standards
FAST
Bill drill

Ammo used was 115gr Winchester white box from wally world. 425rds total fired. Zero malfunctions. Extraction/ejection was very consistent. No casings to the head. Everything was ejecting @ 4-5 o'clock.

Good times!

What spring assembly are you using?

ToddG
09-12-2011, 08:28 PM
I hate to be a downer but personally I don't trust anything as a fix for gen4 extractor problems until it's worked in a particular gun for at least 1k (and preferably 2k) flawless rounds. Been there, done that. Trust but verify.

NickDrak
09-12-2011, 08:43 PM
What spring assembly are you using?

Still have the 0-2-3 that came in it. Still waiting for my 0-2-4 to arrive.

NickDrak
09-12-2011, 08:43 PM
I hate to be a downer but personally I don't trust anything as a fix for gen4 extractor problems until it's worked in a particular gun for at least 1k (and preferably 2k) flawless rounds. Been there, done that. Trust but verify.

We're on the same page. It was just good to see it actin' like it should today.

NickDrak
09-19-2011, 08:23 PM
Another 250 trouble free rounds thru my Gen4 G17 today. I shot a mix of: 100rds of Winchester WB from Wally-World, 100rds of Remington 115gr JHP from Wally-World, and 50rds of some old 147gr Winchester Ranger HP duty ammo I had laying around.

I installed the new 0-2-4 RSA that I received from Glock over the weekend.

Im gonna send it off to ColdBore Customs to have the trigger-guard undercut & the finger grooves removed next week. I'll post pics when I get it back....

LittleLebowski
09-20-2011, 09:14 AM
How did folks other than Todd get their new ejector?

Mitchell, Esq.
10-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Regarding the 9mm extractors which don't have a number imprint on the inner face like the one in post 79, and do not have a dip, were those an earlier "pre-issue's" part?

JV_
10-01-2011, 07:30 PM
were those an earlier "pre-issue's" part?

Yes. I recently picked up (2) from my local shop, I thought it was a potentially new extractor, but they later confirmed it was old stock.

Chuck Haggard
10-02-2011, 12:10 AM
Weirdly enough I ended up with a G23 from a trade, and a 9mm conversion barrel.

I shot the gun as a .40, then dropped in the 9mm barrel to check function. Ran 100% for a hundred rounds. Later it struck me, or didn't, that I hadn't caught a single piece of brass in the face when shooting that gun as a 9mm

I am going to swap the upper with my PITA G19 upper and see what a .40 ejector does for the 25% of all brass in the face ejection pattern on that gun.

Chuck Haggard
03-10-2012, 12:44 AM
Saw this today;

Glock Extractor-
Yes, we're still working on the Glock Extractor and Ejector. We're in the process of thoroughly testing the extractor and ejector before we offer them for sale. You can expect a mid to late summer release of the GLOCK Extractor and ejector.

From here;

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?/topic/32950-apex-newsletter/page__pid__322110#entry322110

JConn
03-10-2012, 11:47 AM
If you read that article carefully, might there be a reference to a certain piece of safety equipment, or am I just reading what I want to read.

secondstoryguy
03-10-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm about done with any Glock made after 08'. I have an N prefix Gen 3 G19 and a M prefix G17 that both run like a swiss watches. In an attempt to find a duplicate pistol for the G19 I have been through 2 other P prefix G19s that I couldn't make run, even playing musical parts with extractors/ejectors and springs. I feel like I'm back to building, tweaking and working on 1911s again, the constant tweaking interrupting my training. I bought a couple of P30 LEMs a while back that run perfectly....if I could get the hang of the LEM trigger my Glocks(AFHF next month!!) could find themselves getting a bunch of safe-time.

JeffJ
03-10-2012, 12:40 PM
If you read that article carefully, might there be a reference to a certain piece of safety equipment, or am I just reading what I want to read.

I thought the same thing - but I am an oppurtunistic optimist

JConn
03-10-2012, 01:33 PM
I'm about done with any Glock made after 08'. I have an N prefix Gen 3 G19 and a M prefix G17 that both run like a swiss watches. In an attempt to find a duplicate pistol for the G19 I have been through 2 other P prefix G19s that I couldn't make run, even playing musical parts with extractors/ejectors and springs. I feel like I'm back to building, tweaking and working on 1911s again, the constant tweaking interrupting my training. I bought a couple of P30 LEMs a while back that run perfectly....if I could get the hang of the LEM trigger my Glocks(AFHF next month!!) could find themselves getting a bunch of safe-time.

My p prefix g19 runs well with at least 10k rounds through it (I need to keep better records). Really just goes to show it's luck of the draw.

secondstoryguy
03-10-2012, 01:36 PM
My p prefix g19 runs well with at least 10k rounds through it (I need to keep better records). Really just goes to show it's luck of the draw.

Just out of curiosity do your P prefix guns have dip-style extractors?

JConn
03-10-2012, 01:41 PM
Just out of curiosity do your P prefix guns have dip-style extractors?

Yes, and it is just one 19. I have a 26 of similar vintage that seems to run but the round count is too low to be relevant.

rob_s
05-20-2012, 08:16 PM
I was hoping to avoid having to learn all this crap about Glocks, as the entire point of owning/shooting them for me was to STOP having to fiddle with them. However, it now appears that both of my Gen 3 G19s (both purchased on the LE program, but about a year apart from one another) are having problems. In reading through this thread there doesn't appear to be one recipe for correction? Problems observed are brass in face and yesterday I got one horizontal stovepipe.

Before this I was shooting an older G19 but it had a Boresight Solutions grip reduction on it and I sold it as I decided I wanted to deal with guns that were closer to stock and therefore less expensive overall.

If I have to start shelling out money and wasting range time to get Glocks to work, and learn all the intricacies of the things, I might as well go back to shooting 1911s. :eek:

Ed L
05-20-2012, 09:27 PM
I had issues with a Gen 2 model 17 that would bop me in the face and head with ejected cases. I bought the gun used and have no idea how many rounds it had through it.

I had two master Glock armorers take a look at it and try to file the ejector to no avail.

I sent it to Glock, and got it back with a new problem that I had never encountered in the gun--horizontal stovepipes where the ejected case would get caught horizonally in the ejection port and interfere with the next round being fed.

The gun came back from Glock much worse than when I sent it there.

I then had a Lone Wolf extractor installed and an HRED and I was back to getting bopped in the head but no more malfunctions.

So I sent it to Randy Lee of Apex Tactical and he lowered the ejection port and did some tuning with the extractor and now it works fantastic.

Below is a picture of a normal Glock 17 on top of the one that Randy worked on. You can see the lowered ejection port on the bottom one.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/edagain/glockcomparison.jpg

I don't know that this will help anyone with Gen 3/4 problem Glocks, but Randy definitely addressed the issue of me getting bopped in the face and head with ejected cases.

ErnieB
05-21-2012, 10:55 AM
I have a Gen 3 G34 with a "P" prefix serial number and the dip extractor (I'm learning...). The gun ran great until about the 2000 round mark then started experiencing the horizontal stove pipe. I assume this is the extractor/ejector issue that you all have been experiencing. My question... I might have a few non-LCI extractors in a box somewhere. If I can find them, are they compatible with this particular generation of production? It seems from previous posts that there is no "one fix" to this issue. I'm sorta' new to Glock problems as all my Glocks have always run extremely well.

JV_
05-21-2012, 10:57 AM
I might have a few non-LCI extractors in a box somewhere. If I can find them, are they compatible with this particular generation of production?Yes, it's compatible.

Wayne Dobbs
05-22-2012, 08:39 AM
Until Randy Lee and Apex Tactical get their extractors and ejectors to market, the best fix I've found is an old, pre-dip Glock extractor OR a new Lone Wolf part combinded with the White Sound Defense HRED. That seems to bring problem guns around to decent performance. But, I think Randy's fix will be the best based on what he's advised his testing has revealed. Here's hoping anyway...

tmoore912
05-22-2012, 04:30 PM
I have a new to me, but low round count 3rd Gen G17 that is having issues. I don't know the date of manufacture, but the spent casing envelope has that it was collected on 11/18/2011. Serial is SET 5**. It only had a couple hundred rounds through it before I got it, and I have put 500 rounds through it myself. During those 500 rounds I have experienced a 180 degree horizontal stove pipe, at least 1 round to the face from each magazine shot (sometimes more) and I had a FTFeed on the last round of a WHO string I was firing from a very new Glock mag.(I think this was a possible limp wrist issue.)

It has a 336 ejector and I'm not sure what extractor it has, but it has a #2 on it. Recoil spring part number I think is 5579 which is stamped on the end. So the gun has less than 1,000 rounds through it and is already exhibiting issues that have been discussed in this lengthy thread.

I have a 3rd Gen G19 PFM*** serial that has been outstanding for almost 4K rounds. Next time I'm at the range I'm going to try swapping some parts to see if anything changes.

Pics of extractor for G17

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/tmoore912/G17%203rd%20Gen/2012-04-27_16-03-48_895.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii218/tmoore912/G17%203rd%20Gen/2012-04-27_16-03-10_131.jpg

ErnieB
05-28-2012, 10:17 PM
I just ordered the Lone Wolf LCI extractor and the corresponding LCI SLB. I am thinking of getting the White Sound Defense H.R.E.D. For those who have tried this combination have you had success?

JHC
05-29-2012, 07:55 AM
This weekend I saw a 180 degree stovepipe and increasingly weak extraction/ejection (majority barely clearing my forearm) from my early edition Gen 4 G19 which is still running the original heavy RSA. I replaced the original extractor with another LCI spare which is older but I do not know from what year exactly. I suspect a few years old anyway (it was part of a collection of misc Glock parts a shooting bud gave me awhile back). Ejection pattern was immediately strong(-ish) and consistent to 4:00.

This gun had run 5K rds very well with one classic stove pipe thousands of rounds ago. It then ran 250 very well after the swap. And good for a PR clean FAST (from concealment) at 5.03 sec.

This harkens to the reports which Todd refers to of well running Gen 4's which eventually get a little sketchy with some mileage. I feel like I've joined some kind of club now. ;)

tmoore912
05-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Took my 3rd gen G17 that has been ejecting brass to my forehead to the range today after getting some spare parts in the mail.

I ordered:

1. Glock LCI Extractor. It has a # 4 stamped on it.
2. LWD LCI Extactor. Nothing stamped on it.
3. Glock Trigger Housing with 336 Ejector. They seem to all come with the 336 ejector, I could not find any different ones available.
4. White Sound Defense H.R.E.D. Extractor Depressor Assembly

All the parts came from Glockparts.com (http://glockparts.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=Main%20Page). Ordered on Thursday late AM, shipped by middle of the afternoon and arrived in my mailbox on Saturday.:)

Right off the bat I tried the HRED with the stock #2 Ejector. First shot was a horizontal stovepipe. WTH! Cleared it, then ran another 25 rounds through. It was doing better with ejection (not nailing me in the forehead), but it was just barely going over my head. There were a few that seemed to just dribble out.

Next, I changed out the #2 stock extractor for the new #4 Glock extractor and put back in the Glock extractor depressor spring. First shot was a piece of brass right to the forehead. Didn't even go any further with that setup. Swapped it out for the HRED spring. Shot 25 rounds. Weak extraction. Some dribbling out, some going back right, some brushing my hair on the top of my head. Still not working right.

Next change was for the Lone Wolf LCI Extractor with Glock extractor depressor spring. Shot 25 rounds with weak extraction, some even going out in front of me to the right. None hit me in the forehead. So I swap out for the HRED spring with the Lone Wolf Extractor. Shoot 50 rounds through the gun. No brass to the forehead, strong ejection to the back right. There were a couple that seemed to not come out very strong, but I can't swear by it. I shot 2 Dot Torture test and had to go, but no brass to the face using the LWD LCI with White Sound Defense HRED spring. Many more rounds need to go through the gun to shake it out. Will have to see what happens over the next couple days with this setup.

Anybody have any other ideas?

ETA: Can a Gen 4 9mm Glock Trigger Housing go in a Gen 3 gun?

ToddG
05-31-2012, 11:58 AM
ETA: Can a Gen 4 9mm Glock Trigger Housing go in a Gen 3 gun?

A buddy at Glock just sent me a text message in response to this question. He said that they do not advise using a gen4 trigger housing in earlier generation guns. According to him, there are potential reliability and safety concerns. Don't do it.

EMC
05-31-2012, 12:01 PM
A buddy at Glock just sent me a text message in response to this question. He said that they do not advise using a gen4 trigger housing in earlier generation guns. According to him, there are potential reliability and safety concerns. Don't do it.

Assuming the ejectors aren't different, you could push the ejector out of the newer gen housing and put in the older one correct? (I understand you don't want to remove/install ejectors too much as it can loosten up the slot). I'm assuming this is the scenario where you want a 30274 ejector to try, but can't get one individually.

tmoore912
05-31-2012, 12:15 PM

Understood. Next range visit I will try the new Gen 3 Trigger housing with 336 ejector I ordered just to see if it changes anything. Wanted to try one of the Lone Wolf Trigger housings, but they were out of stock at the time.

ErnieB
06-02-2012, 09:12 PM
I freakin' give up! Once again my G34 ruined my match. I have tried every combination in my parts bin to make this thing run. I'm done.

I am going to call Glock and send it back to them. If they can't make it work I'm going to shoot it with a 240B.

EMC
06-02-2012, 11:00 PM
I freakin' give up! Once again my G34 ruined my match. I have tried every combination in my parts bin to make this thing run. I'm done.

I am going to call Glock and send it back to them. If they can't make it work I'm going to shoot it with a 240B.

If you decide to do that, I'll be your camera man and you have to let me finish out whatever is left on the belt after the target is gone. I miss the 240B, a superb weapon.

Wes Peart
06-03-2012, 03:29 PM
I remember seeing somewhere (possibly here?) where a guy who was having problems with several extractors in his 9mm Glock tried a .40 extractor for the hell of it and it ended up working flawlessly. Anyone ever pursue that any farther?

tmoore912
06-05-2012, 07:31 PM
I think I have given up too.

This last range session today was unsuccessful in shaking out my G17. Tried a newer Gen 3 trigger housing that came with a 336 Ejector, Lone Wolf LCI Extractor and HRED spring. On the 29th round had a vertical stovepipe. Was also having weak ejection and getting nailed in the forehead with brass.

That's three stovepipes in 700 rounds, weak ejection and constantly getting nailed in the forehead with brass.

Guess it is time to send it off to Glock, but who knows if that will help.

ErnieB
06-05-2012, 08:07 PM
I fixed the problem once and for all...

A friend sent me a "D" prefix serial# G34 with less that 3K rounds through it that shoots straight and actually runs! So far so good!

tmoore912
06-05-2012, 08:11 PM
I fixed the problem once and for all...

A friend sent me a "D" prefix serial# G34 with less that 3K rounds through it that shoots straight and actually runs! So far so good!

Is that suppose to make me feel better? :p

ErnieB
06-06-2012, 08:54 AM
Is that suppose to make me feel better? :p

Sorry man... My other G34 doesn't run at all.. bums me out. I hope Glock can work some magic.

tmoore912
06-18-2012, 04:46 PM
I think I have given up too.

This last range session today was unsuccessful in shaking out my G17. Tried a newer Gen 3 trigger housing that came with a 336 Ejector, Lone Wolf LCI Extractor and HRED spring. On the 29th round had a vertical stovepipe. Was also having weak ejection and getting nailed in the forehead with brass.

That's three stovepipes in 700 rounds, weak ejection and constantly getting nailed in the forehead with brass.

Guess it is time to send it off to Glock, but who knows if that will help.

Ordered a Gen 4 Lone Wolf Trigger Housing because it came with a 30274 Ejector. Installed it in my Gen 3 Trigger Housing. I was also using the WhiteSound HRED Spring and a Glock dip extractor.

I didn't have much time at the range but put 150 rounds through it with no brass to the face or head. There is still an occasional weak ejection, but everything seemed to be ejecting at about 4 o'clock.

So my sample size of one is getting a little better.