PDA

View Full Version : DOTW 78-300 Lessons

dustyvarmint
08-24-2013, 06:44 PM
I learned a number of things from the DOTW 78-300, but from reading the rules I wasn't sure I could post them over there (and it is locked now anyway) so I thought I'd put them here and see if there was more feedback or discussion.

-Seeing the front sight rise - still not doing it and I thought this drill would do it for sure. I've been a blinker on execution my entire life. I see that the sight has risen, but I don't see the sight rise. I'll start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.

-WH Grip - I do a lot of WH dry fire, but find it hard to work in live fire. My results were dismal, but I was able to experiment with grip and trigger press.

-Ammo - someone experimented with different ammo in their Glock. I did a little of that, but not enough. My 115 gr FMJ plinker load was more accurate than my 124 gr JHP pet load. I need to do that more.

-M&P 9C & Shield - fascinated by the performance of these pistols and happy to see someone is shooting them and posting the results. Very interesting.

Maybe there was more that I can come back and edit later.

happy shooting

LSP972
08-25-2013, 07:28 AM
-M&P 9C & Shield - fascinated by the performance of these pistols and happy to see someone is shooting them and posting the results. Very interesting.

Don't be too enthralled; reality bites.

http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?9347-FYI-m-amp-p-shield-safety-alert

JHC
08-25-2013, 10:39 AM
I learned a number of things from the DOTW 78-300, but from reading the rules I wasn't sure I could post them over there (and it is locked now anyway) so I thought I'd put them here and see if there was more feedback or discussion.

-Seeing the front sight rise - still not doing it and I thought this drill would do it for sure. I've been a blinker on execution my entire life. I see that the sight has risen, but I don't see the sight rise. I'll start a new thread in the appropriate sub-forum.

-WH Grip - I do a lot of WH dry fire, but find it hard to work in live fire. My results were dismal, but I was able to experiment with grip and trigger press.

-Ammo - someone experimented with different ammo in their Glock. I did a little of that, but not enough. My 115 gr FMJ plinker load was more accurate than my 124 gr JHP pet load. I need to do that more.

Maybe there was more that I can come back and edit later.

happy shooting

I learned a few things also.

When I go to WHO - I'm weaker. And I started with too much finger on the trigger and saw 1st two shots go wide right (shooting lefty). Got the pad on the trigger and got centered hits, without throwing any more wide.

I didn't think my 245 score was indicative of "the real me" ;) (a belief probably encouraged by 5 shot groups). So this AM I shot it again with my Gen 3 RTF2 G17 this time. Ok now I know. . . I shot a 242. OK. Got that settled.

Then shot it with my Dave Sams 1911 and scored 261 (freehand 96, SHO 81, WHO 84).

Heavy gun, light crisp trigger - built for slowfire bullseye.

Next I shot the 10-8 headbox standard (draw and hit IPSC head A+B, draw at 15 yards) once with each pistol. 4.43 clean with the RTF2 Glock and 5.38 with the 1911 with THREE misses. I see the same pattern in spades on any speed drill/test I shoot.

The light precise trigger; mo better for bullseye is no longer my friend in shooting quickly.

It doesn't argue for a particular trigger as much as clear evidence as to the effect of being habituated to a type of trigger. In the '80's when I was mostly 1911, when I bought a Gen 1 G17 I couldn't hit with it and traded it off in short order.

GJM
08-25-2013, 10:45 AM
Shooting one hand, whether slow fire or fast on a Rogers Range, my wife and I have found that it is essential to cam our wrist forward (similar to how Vogel and many shoot a modern Iso), so that our thumb is basically horizontal and
fingers curled underneath, to properly lock up the hand, wrist, forearm and shoulder.

To be fair, it was my wife who figured it out. She can shoot 23/23 on the support hand blast at Rogers, and shoots support hand better than anyone else I have met.

JHC
08-25-2013, 11:14 AM
Shooting one hand, whether slow fire or fast on a Rogers Range, my wife and I have found that it is essential to cam our wrist forward (similar to how Vogel and many shoot a modern Iso), so that our thumb is basically horizontal and
fingers curled underneath, to properly lock up the hand, wrist, forearm and shoulder.

To be fair, it was my wife who figured it out. She can shoot 23/23 on the support hand blast at Rogers, and shoots support hand better than anyone else I have met.

Not sure I'm visualizing this correctly. You mean exactly like you would two hands but without the supporting hand? ie cam in wrist (glock angle) and thumb forward.

GJM
08-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Not sure I'm visualizing this correctly. You mean exactly like you would two hands but without the supporting hand? ie cam in wrist (glock angle) and thumb forward.

yes, with the more you cam, the more it seems to lock everything up. You can feel it, by extending your arm without the pistol, and experimenting with the amount of cam and what it does to your platform (locking wrist, forearm and shoulder).

Kevin B.
08-25-2013, 12:25 PM
I have been shooting the 150-Point Aggregate a great deal lately (at least once daily) and I credit it with helping me with the 300. If you are trying to sort out accuracy/SHO/WHO issues, it is a challenging, low round count drill that provides plenty of opportunity for analysis.

JHC
08-25-2013, 01:15 PM
I have been shooting the 150-Point Aggregate a great deal lately (at least once daily) and I credit it with helping me with the 300. If you are trying to sort out accuracy/SHO/WHO issues, it is a challenging, low round count drill that provides plenty of opportunity for analysis.

+1 It showed. You owned that kitten. ;)

I think a 150 or 300 is going to be built into my weekly regimen consistently for some time to come. I've been doing more SHO/WHO this year, but dang little that far out. It was a lot of fun. I actually find slow fire precision (being it bullseye or small stuff plinking) literally relaxing.

Kevin B.
08-26-2013, 03:09 AM
I think a 150 or 300 is going to be built into my weekly regimen consistently for some time to come. I've been doing more SHO/WHO this year, but dang little that far out. It was a lot of fun. I actually find slow fire precision (being it bullseye or small stuff plinking) literally relaxing.

I am the exact opposite. While I like accuracy, it is boring. Drills like the 150-Point Aggregate are about my limit. My favorite accuracy-heavy CoF is the FBI Bullseye course because, while it has a heavy accuracy component, you shoot progressively faster and it is only 30 rounds.

KevinB
08-26-2013, 09:42 AM
I learned that shooting my 1911 still gives me tennis elbow -- and Non Dominant Hand gets it two one handed...
I brought this up shooting with Todd on Friday and Scott Warren was kind enough to mention that my issue was stretching (lack of) before and after.
By stretching your wrist back towards you with the opposite hand it stretches out your forearm and voila - Tennis elbow (whatever) disappears with a few minutes of stretching.

My 9C results - I did not post as the Sheriff had shut down my range prior to it finishing, started out promising. The Shield was not at all. (had shot both the Freestyle/2HD and Strong Hand - but did not get either to ND Hand.

I need to get back into running accuracy drills at the beginning and end of all my shooting strings, as I had an un-posted unflattering run with my 1911 after running a FAST drill - and all I can figure out was that my brain was still re-hashing my horrible results at that and trying to make up for lost time, several lost shots (el snacho as LAV would say) and just erratic performance.

JHC
08-26-2013, 10:18 AM
I learned that shooting my 1911 still gives me tennis elbow -- and Non Dominant Hand gets it two one handed...

. . . several lost shots (el snacho as LAV would say) and just erratic performance.

Since my kettlebell induced tennis elbow resolved, the Man's Gun hasn't hurt lately but it sure did last Winter/Spring.

Ten years ago the idea that I would consistently el snacho way more with a 1911 than a Glock would have sounded ridiculous to me but that is now the case. What ya get used to.