PDA

View Full Version : Grip Tape Fit - M&P Backstrap/beavertail

ASH556
08-23-2013, 02:56 PM
I'm currently in a traded-out state with a buddy in regards to frames until he can get some stuff squared away, so I'm running his stippled frame on my M&P. However, I had grip tape on mine and will again when our trade is worked back out. So, while the front strap was good to go, I had issues with the grip tape staying in-place through the curve of the backstrap where it transitions up into the beavertail. I believe it's because you're essentially asking the tape to flex in two directions at once (concave up into the beavertail and convex around the sides of the pistol). Is there a special way to cut the tape to allow it to make this dual-curvature flex?

Thanks in advance for the help!

HCM
08-23-2013, 04:44 PM
I'm currently in a traded-out state with a buddy in regards to frames until he can get some stuff squared away, so I'm running his stippled frame on my M&P. However, I had grip tape on mine and will again when our trade is worked back out. So, while the front strap was good to go, I had issues with the grip tape staying in-place through the curve of the backstrap where it transitions up into the beavertail. I believe it's because you're essentially asking the tape to flex in two directions at once (concave up into the beavertail and convex around the sides of the pistol). Is there a special way to cut the tape to allow it to make this dual-curvature flex?

Thanks in advance for the help!

You are spot on about grip tape no liking compund curves. The best soloution I have seen is cutting the tape is strips or making cuts like the little tear off tags on the bottom of college bulletin board flyers. you then apply it across the backstrap beavertail area. It's a little hard to explain but when viewed from the side it will look a little like a sun rays in a cartoon or spokes on a wheel. It is not 100 % coverage but works ok on gen 2/3 glocks.