PDA

View Full Version : CHP Officer carjacked at Flamingo Hotel

Shellback
08-20-2013, 01:30 PM
No matter if you're an off duty police officer, military dude or your average Joe or Jane citizen please be aware of your surroundings and take the necessary precautions to help prevent these types of tragedies. Tragically, CHP Officer Magdaleno lost his life this past weekend here in Las Vegas but I think we can all learn something from this incident and apply it to our own lives. Article here. (http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-vegas-carjacking-20130819,0,4985438.story)

An off-duty California Highway Patrol officer who was in Las Vegas over the weekend for his bachelor party was killed during a high-speed carjacking on the Strip, authorities said Monday.

Jesus Manuel Magdaleno Jr., 33, of Visalia was loading luggage Sunday into the back of his 2009 Nissan pickup with his brother-in-law Felix Brandon Cruz outside the Flamingo hotel when a thief jumped into the truck and got behind the wheel.

The carjacker then sped off, as Magdaleno jumped into the bed of the truck to join Cruz, 31.

Magdaleno was thrown from the truck after the driver struck another vehicle a mile away. The CHP officer died at the scene. Cruz, who also was ejected, remained in critical condition Monday, authorities said.....

Las Vegas police say the fatal carjacking demonstrates how visitors to the resort city need to remain aware, even during a task as simple as loading luggage outside a hotel.

"I think everyone should try to be aware of their surroundings, wherever they are," Hadfield told the Los Angeles Times. "Take the extra precaution of turning off the ignition and taking the keys when you are not around your car. That precaution could have been a factor in this incident. It could have changed what happened."

RIP

41magfan
08-20-2013, 02:09 PM
Yep - that's certainly tragic.

The first thought that came to mind is the image I've seen FAR TOO MANY TIMES of an Officer clinging to a vehicle (a window opening, opened door, on the hood or trunk) as it's speeding away from a traffic stop.

All I can say about that sort of thing is simply this; Think that through with a cool rational mind ..... right now .... before it happens ..... so that you won't EVER be the least bit inclined to do such a thing under the stress of the moment.

Odin Bravo One
08-21-2013, 08:12 AM
Certainly a proper amount of SA is beneficial. But so is rational and sound decision making. I don't know what is important to other people, and I am in no position to force my ideas onto someone else, but I am certainly NOT risking my life, or risking my wife becoming a widow, and children becoming orphans over someone stealing my "stuff". It's only a car. It can, and will (probably rather quickly) be replaced. It is most definitely not worth dying for. Not to me anyway. I just can't justify a course of action that one only sees in bad television.

Tamara
08-22-2013, 05:56 PM
All I can say about that sort of thing is simply this; Think that through with a cool rational mind ..... right now .... before it happens ..... so that you won't EVER be the least bit inclined to do such a thing under the stress of the moment.

Thank you for that good advice!

Shellback
08-22-2013, 06:09 PM
My guess would be he jumped in to try to help/save his BIL who was already in the back of the truck, not necessarily for the truck. Just a guess, and a WAG at that, but that might be my first inclination in the same scenario.

No matter which way you slice it, the outcome still sucks.