PDA

View Full Version : Open carried today.

Bigguy
08-20-2013, 09:04 AM
I ride one of two motorcycles to work most mornings. This morning as I was getting ready, the wife asked me to stop by the water company and drop off a payment, then swing by the downtown post office and drop off a letter in the drop box. I loaded up, strapped my briefcase to the rack, stuck the envelopes in my shirt pocket, and headed out. I swung by the water company drive through and dropped off the payment. The Post Office drop box is conventionally located at the side of the street leading to the Post Office, so I swung by there and dropped off the letter. Arriving at work, I chatted with a couple of co-workers as I unstrapped my briefcase and took off my helmet and gloves. I stalled with those activities until they entered the building, then pulled the vault out of the saddle bag to lock up my EDC. That's when I discovered that I hadn't pulled my shirttail out over it. There it was, sticking out of my waist band for everyone to see. Nobody noticed.
I don't plan to test coverage like that again, but it's a bit of a relief to have it proven to me how little most people notice things on your waist.

JV_
08-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Plus .... you're in TX. Try that in NJ and the results may be a bit different.

RoyGBiv
08-20-2013, 09:15 AM
Beginning September 1st you could argue the display was not intentional and it would be a "defense to prosecution".

SB299 (effective 1-September) changed the language from "intentionally fails to conceal" to "intentionally displays"...
While you did "fail to conceal", you did not "intentionally display", IMO
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/83R/billtext/html/SB00299F.htm

IANAL. This is just my opinion.

Shellback
08-20-2013, 09:21 AM
There it was, sticking out of my waist band for everyone to see. Nobody noticed.
I don't plan to test coverage like that again, but it's a bit of a relief to have it proven to me how little most people notice things on your waist.
Most people are just plain oblivious. I think if you're not looking for attention, by intentionally OC'ing, than you're body language doesn't give off anything outside of the norm and most people just don't notice much outside of their iPhone anyways.

Plus .... you're in TX. Try that in NJ and the results may be a bit different.
Open carry of handguns is illegal in Texas. Although, I know whatcha mean about NJ. A lot of people think TX has far more lenient gun laws than they actually do.

WDW
08-20-2013, 12:38 PM
How & why in the hell is open carry illegal in Texas, "the gun state". That makes less than zero sense to me.

RoyGBiv
08-20-2013, 12:48 PM
How & why in the hell is open carry illegal in Texas, "the gun state". That makes less than zero sense to me.

Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, AUSTIN.... All BLUE.
Lots of RINOS in the legislature. Work In Progress.

Timbonez
08-20-2013, 01:13 PM

While Texas is a gun friendly state, it is not "the gun state" that many in the US believe. There are a handful of states that come to mind that are more gun friendly. The one good thing about Texas is that they don't prosectute BS like some other states would.

Suvorov
08-20-2013, 09:14 PM
While Texas is a gun friendly state, it is not "the gun state" that many in the US believe. There are a handful of states that come to mind that are more gun friendly. The one good thing about Texas is that they don't prosectute BS like some other states would.

Very true.

Also - glad to "see" you are safe!

Timbonez
08-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Very true.

Also - glad to "see" you are safe!

Thanks. I was actually getting ready to step to fly, when I was told we were canceled. The B-1 community is fortunate that this doesn't happen often, and we're even more fortunate that there were no fatalities or life threatening injuries this time. Those guys were from my sister squadron so I know who they are (I was in flight school with one of them years ago), and we fly in that airspace all the time. Anyway... /unrelatedthreadhijack

SJC3081
08-21-2013, 07:59 AM
I occasional open carry in rural Upstate New York ,never has there been an issue. Many would find it hard to believe but Upstate New York is more like Montana.

JHC
08-21-2013, 08:10 AM
I'm seeing it more and more in restaurants here in GA. No one seems to pay it no mind either. I think it's been three examples in the last two months.

1911 in a Serpa @ a Starbucks.
Glock in a Serpa at a very nice chi chi hipster restaurant locally.
And a 7 1/2" Colt SAA or clone in classic pouch holster worn in front of the strong side hip like the real old West. And that was in a Longhorn Steakhouse no less.

Mr. Goodtimes
08-21-2013, 08:30 AM
I do wish that OC was legal in more places, while I wouldn't do it often at all it would be nice at times.

Tamara
08-21-2013, 09:11 AM
I stalled with those activities until they entered the building, then pulled the vault out of the saddle bag to lock up my EDC. That's when I discovered that I hadn't pulled my shirttail out over it. There it was, sticking out of my waist band for everyone to see. Nobody noticed.

Back when I was working at Randy's Guns & Knives, we had a rather persistent dude dropping by who wanted to meet the owner for a sales pitch. Since the owner was rarely in the shop (a practice myself and the rest of the staff encouraged) the salesguy was in the store a half dozen times over about a two week period, loitering about in hopes of catching the owner for as much as thirty minutes at a stretch, before finally lucking out and showing up on a day Randy was in.

As I ushered the guy behind the counter to the office in the back room, he suddenly noticed the Springer Pro I was carrying IWB. "You're carrying a gun!" he almost squeaked.

"Why, yes," I replied, "the same gun in the same place I've been carrying it every other time you've seen me."

People are, for the most part, pretty oblivious.

Shellback
08-21-2013, 12:36 PM
I occasional open carry in rural Upstate New York ,never has there been an issue. Many would find it hard to believe but Upstate New York is more like Montana.

I'll be in Cazenovia in a few weeks. Absolutely beautiful area, my wife's from there.

Only thing I'm not happy about is not being able to bring my pea shooter with me...