PDA

View Full Version : IDPA equipment rule clarification

YVK
08-19-2013, 07:10 PM
Would a factory short reach trigger make one change from SSP to ESP?

The rule book is explicit that aftermarket triggers that change reach put one into ESP.
It is less clear if one uses factory parts. It says you can swap triggers between different SSP eligible guns, but that doesn't seem to cover my questions.

The gun in question is a Beretta Elite II, for which I just procured a factory short reach trigger.

gtmtnbiker98
08-19-2013, 08:10 PM
To best summarize, can you buy it from the factory in this configuration? If so, it is legal for SSP - no different than SIG's short reach triggers.

YVK
08-19-2013, 08:55 PM
To best summarize, can you buy it from the factory in this configuration?

Gtmtn, I don't know. Elite II has been discontinued for years, I don't know if they were ever sold with SRT installed.

ToddG
08-19-2013, 09:11 PM
If you're not allowed to put a short reach Beretta factory trigger in an E2, that's new. Of course, back when I was shooting IDPA you could use one of Langdon's "speedbump" triggers in SSP, too, so dinosaurs and asteroids and all that...

gtmtnbiker98
08-20-2013, 08:43 AM
Gtmtn, I don't know. Elite II has been discontinued for years, I don't know if they were ever sold with SRT installed.I believe that you are good to go, as long as it's a factory available part. No different than swapping triggers in a SIG and they remain legal for the division.

I'm an IDPA SOI for info. I highly doubt anybody would question the type of factory trigger.

Sal Picante
08-20-2013, 02:30 PM
The trigger was originally on the Vertec, so it should be ok... Much like putting an extended mag release on a regular glock.

cclaxton
08-20-2013, 03:00 PM
I believe that you are good to go, as long as it's a factory available part. No different than swapping triggers in a SIG and they remain legal for the division.

I'm an IDPA SOI for info. I highly doubt anybody would question the type of factory trigger.

I agree...factory parts are almost always allowed.

Why not shoot ESP? Cocked and Locked, Man!! Every shot a Single action.
More chance of placing in ESP.

Don't see a lot of Beretta's, but there are a few. He shoots up in Penn.
CC

Sadmin
08-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Or it could depend on your club...last night at our match, which was the first match with new rules in place, I watched 3 60 year olds argue for 15 minutes about reloading while behind cover and stood next to a new shooter in SSP with a full grip reduction on his g34 :/
fun game.

YVK
08-20-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks, everyone, I am pretty sure now it will be SSP eligible. Frankly, I am not sure yet if I am going to use SRT or not, or whether I'd even run a Beretta, but it is helpful to know.

cclaxton
08-20-2013, 06:18 PM
Or it could depend on your club...last night at our match, which was the first match with new rules in place, I watched 3 60 year olds argue for 15 minutes about reloading while behind cover and stood next to a new shooter in SSP with a full grip reduction on his g34 :/
fun game.

I don't think there's anything wrong with allowing shooters to shoot local club matches with guns that might fail the inspection at a sanctioned match. But, I always point out that they won't be able to shoot it sanctioned. Some people may never compete at a sanctioned match. Is the grip reduction going to result in this guy beating the shooter just above him?....I seriously doubt it. You just don't get that much of an advantage. What makes a difference is training, trigger control, proper grip....fundamentals.

But seen plenty of DQ's at sanctioned matches with OUTLAW GUNS!!! Don't do it!!!
CC

JV_
08-21-2013, 05:25 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with allowing shooters to shoot local club matches with guns that might fail the inspection at a sanctioned match.If you can't play by the rules, then you should SWS.

ToddG
08-21-2013, 07:31 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with allowing shooters to shoot local club matches with guns that might fail the inspection at a sanctioned match.

The last IDPA match I shot, I was allowed to shoot from aiwb. I think that's awesome. But I think it's very important that people who are shooting outside the rules be identified as such on the scoresheet. IDPA used to allow "outlaw" gear at local matches and the result was painful: people showing up to major events, even Nationals, with illegal gear and either believing an exception would be made or in some cases not even realizing the gear was illegal.

Is the grip reduction going to result in this guy beating the shooter just above him?....I seriously doubt it. You just don't get that much of an advantage. What makes a difference is training, trigger control, proper grip....fundamentals.

Not for nothing, but if you recognize that a good grip helps you win, the guy who modifies his pistol to achieve a better grip does have an advantage. More importantly, it can be perceived as an advantage. The whole idea behind "stock" classes is supposed to be that the new shooter can step in and play with the gear he's already got instead of going out to buy something new or spending money on expensive modifications.

BigT
08-21-2013, 09:05 AM
Seeing as how the dude with the grip reduction could just shoot ESP there's no reason to let him shoot SSP. Unsanctioned match or not. Also drops everyone below him an unnecessary place in the final log. And they also may be the sort to never shoot at anything but a club level.

JonInWA
08-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Although you've had some good input on the thread here, for a definitive answer, simply go to the official IDPA site and pose the question there-I believe there's a specific spot for resolution of just this sort of query on the site forum...

Best, Jon

gtmtnbiker98
08-22-2013, 08:04 PM
Although you've had some good input on the thread here, for a definitive answer, simply go to the official IDPA site and pose the question there-I believe there's a specific spot for resolution of just this sort of query on the site forum...

Best, Jonits a factory part, IT IS legal.